Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
If you don't think it's lucky and weird that a person's leg would snap in half and go spinning off into the crowd because of a checked kick maybe that explains why people think that you should front kick jon jones hands rofl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Its not common, but it is common enough not to be luck. Silva threw a kick with bad technique and weidman checked it perfectly, happens in muay thai a lot more than mma fights but it happens in both. equating it to punchers chance is stupid

I did use stronger language than I mean, there, but "and it could break the opponent's leg!" is way last on the list of good reasons people check a leg kick. It's an accident when somebody's leg goes all laffy-taffy. He didn't throw a leg-break, he checked a kick, and it turned out to be so damned checked that it broke. It's a great, legitimate outcome for one fighter and a horribly unlucky thing to have happen to you for the other. In that respect I feel like it's much luckier than a knockout, though I guess to have more than a bullshit feeling about that, I'd need to see some kind of figure for how many head punches end in a KO versus how many successfully checked leg kicks end up breaking a leg.

I am not in the least trying to take the victory away, or call it into question. I am saying that if they fought a thousand rematches, I wouldn't expect many (any?) others to end in a leg break for either fighter.

fatherdog posted:

You put them in high-profile marquee matchups with big name fighters that A) do not currently hold a title and B) they have not fought before.

I don't think the UFC is ever going to do the thing that makes them less money on the very next PPV, but yeah, I guess that'd be the simple answer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Its not common, but it is common enough not to be luck. Silva threw a kick with bad technique and weidman checked it perfectly, happens in muay thai a lot more than mma fights but it happens in both. equating it to punchers chance is stupid

Hell, I seem to remember someone saying that Ray Longo had broken some legs with checks when he was kickboxing.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Haha ugh every time I see something like this I cringe and shrink in my chair. Gross. Funny but gross

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

If you don't think it's lucky and weird that a person's leg would snap in half and go spinning off into the crowd because of a checked kick maybe that explains why people think that you should front kick jon jones hands rofl.

the threat of that is the exact reason why coaches stress setting up low kicks with other strikes or feints or at least following the kicks up with strikes, and basically beg fighters not to throw naked low kicks like that

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hell, I seem to remember someone saying that Ray Longo had broken some legs with checks when he was kickboxing.

it never once occurred to me that longo competed at anything other than looking like a lumpy middle aged woman

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Agreed posted:

I did use stronger language than I mean, there, but "and it could break the opponent's leg!" is way last on the list of good reasons people check a leg kick. It's an accident when somebody's leg goes all laffy-taffy. He didn't throw a leg-break, he checked a kick, and it turned out to be so damned checked that it broke. It's a great, legitimate outcome for one fighter and a horribly unlucky thing to have happen to you for the other. In that respect I feel like it's much luckier than a knockout, though I guess to have more than a bullshit feeling about that, I'd need to see some kind of figure for how many head punches end in a KO versus how many successfully checked leg kicks end up breaking a leg.

I am not in the least trying to take the victory away, or call it into question. I am saying that if they fought a thousand rematches, I wouldn't expect many (any?) others to end in a leg break for either fighter.

I don't think the UFC is ever going to do the thing that makes them less money on the very next PPV, but yeah, I guess that'd be the simple answer.

weidman recorded all his training for that fight, longo made him drill kick checks non stop and referred to his technique as "SHIN DESTRUCTION"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
so it was completely unintentional, as long as you ignore the dozens of hours of weidman practicing to do it intentionally.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the leg kicks were silva's one success in the first fight, weidman's coaches talked non stop about how the leg kicks were dangerous and how they were going to plan to defend against them, longo had weidman relentleslly drill loving SHIN DESTRUCTION. probably an accident, i bet.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm sure any of his techniques would suck to be on the receiving end of. He's a great fighter. He also probably never figured he'd win by leg-break, because nobody in their right mind does. That would be an insane game plan, but it's a great outcome. I don't really get the controversy, are you guys trying to argue with a more extreme viewpoint than mine by proxy? I don't go on Sherdog.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Agreed posted:

I'm sure any of his techniques would suck to be on the receiving end of. He's a great fighter. He also probably never figured he'd win by leg-break, because nobody in their right mind does. That would be an insane game plan, but it's a great outcome. I don't really get the controversy, are you guys trying to argue with a more extreme viewpoint than mine by proxy? I don't go on Sherdog.

leg breaks happen all the time when people throw naked low kicks

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i would also suggest watching the fight, and the post fight interview immediately afterwards where weidman said that it was intentional, and he was not surprised at all that it happened

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Whatever happened to Weidman recording his training leading up to Anderson 2? I thought that got nixed

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Log posted:

I know Weidman is Anderson kryptonite but do any of us remember Anderson from 2006 until Weidman? If he returns to form and does the Matrix to Diaz, gently caress it, why not see what a third fight entails.

But yes mostly nervous.
Honestly once Anderson escaped the leg locks in the first fight the rest of it was entirely his fault. He no-sold a bunch of clean hits and then didn't know when to cut the act. In the second fight he left the clown shoes at home but Weidman still handily took the first round off a good punch around the Thai grip. Weidman's Master-Blaster relationship with his corner means he's too disciplined to make the same goofy mistakes a lot of people do against Anderson. I'm also not sure what Anderson could adopt from Machida's success.

That said, I want to see the fight because the cosmic balance has yet to be restored after Wanderlei-Rampage 3 and the Nog-Mir fights.

cams posted:

Watching Anderson lose to Weidman the first time hurt, but it was fine, and it proved that even the greats are mortal.

Watching Anderson snap his leg in half against Weidman the second time was the saddest moment of my UFC watching career, topping Jones destroying Lyoto. It was the worst injury I've ever seen in the UFC and it happened to one of my favorite fighters.
UFC 97 is unofficially subtitled "Worst Christmas Ever" and the Toronto show with both Jones-Machida and Nog-Mir 2 is probably a greater tragedy than the last 40 years of Leaf playoff appearances.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 8, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Just playing fantasy matchmaker here but if Anderson beats Diaz I think he should fight the Mousasi/Hendo winner and if he loses put him up against Bisping on a card in England. Weidman/Silva III is stupid and not compelling at all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

cams posted:

Yeah, this is really my problem. There is really no way you can say Anderson Silva, arguably the greatest MMA fighter we've seen yet, doesn't deserve another shot at his belt.

I can absolutely say he doesn't deserve another title shot and I will. No, he doesn't deserve a title shot off a Diaz win. In fact it would be less deserving and even dumber than when Diaz got his title shot vs GSP. It would be the dumbest most obvious money grab the UFC has ever done after the CM Punk signing and at least that's a spectacle and doesn't have anything actually to do with real fighters and belts. If Anderson wants to get back at the belt have him get through Yoel/Jacare after Rockhold gets his shot, and even then he'd be getting overly generous treatment.

Trast posted:

You know Silva said after the second lose to Weidman that he'd be willing to fight anyone, even Machida, to get back at the title. If he beats Diaz make that fight.

Silva also said he was going to retire after his first loss. Who knows what the gently caress he actually thinks (there's no way he's fighting Machida for instance).

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Shumagorath posted:

He no-sold a bunch of clean hits

Seltzer posted:

Can you please use real words and phrases.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Casual fans refused to watch Chris Weidman PPVs because they thought his wins were flukey.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Casual fans also refused to watch any Hendricks vs Lawler PPVs despite the fact that they complained about GSPs boring fights the entire time he was champ.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
While on the subject of terrorism and evil...

Brian Stann on the JRE posted:

This isn't to say it's just Arabs or the middle east where this kind of evil exists....there's a lot in Africa too

lmao

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

He's correct even though he phrased it in an unfortunate way.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm listening right now - I sort of did a mental double-take when he said that but in context it made sense.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

1st AD posted:

He's correct even though he phrased it in an unfortunate way.

I agree, and would be a bit more incensed if Joe didn't interject with "but drones" like 2 minutes later.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 8, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

colonel_korn posted:

Just playing fantasy matchmaker here but if Anderson beats Diaz I think he should fight the Mousasi/Hendo winner and if he loses put him up against Bisping on a card in England. Weidman/Silva III is stupid and not compelling at all.

Hendo is on the last fight of his contract and I'd really rather just see him leave his shoes in the middle of the Octagon than watch him have what I'm pretty sure would be an awful terrible fight with Anderson

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

origami posted:

I'm listening right now - I sort of did a mental double-take when he said that but in context it made sense.

Yeah at first this seemed hosed up but he's right: there are arabs in africa.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Edit: I'm gay

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 8, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hendo is on the last fight of his contract and I'd really rather just see him leave his shoes in the middle of the Octagon than watch him have what I'm pretty sure would be an awful terrible fight with Anderson

Yeah well, like I said that would be contingent on him beating Mousasi which to me would indicate that he still has something in the tank. But yeah of the two I think a matchup between Anderson and Gegard is much more compelling.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Seltzer posted:

Silva also said he was going to retire after his first loss. Who knows what the gently caress he actually thinks (there's no way he's fighting Machida for instance).

I just want to see a cool fight and that would be one.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i agree with the above posters. also, white pride world wide

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
pull up thread, pull up

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
no one is racist against jon jones, or racist at all, and also muslims must be exterminated at all costs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I apologize, I like exclusively post here and in the lovely politics threads and got into the weeds.

Edit: On off days I also post about how the xbox one sucks and how skateboarding is cool even though I'm too old to do it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
anybody else think it's weird that Cain Velasquez has a BROWN PRIDE tattoo and gets to be the UFC posterboy but the only reason Brandon Salinng isn't in the UFC is because of some tattoos that heck for all we know might not mean a thing

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I apologize, I like exclusively post here and in the lovely politics threads and got into the weeds.

its really cool to think about how you've spent any amount of time thinking + learning about foreign policy and are somehow able to conclude "this brian stann fella, from the military rapes, seems to have some good ideas"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Agreed posted:

Weidman won the first fight out and out, Silva had that poo poo coming too and it was amazing. The second fight though, come on, anyone can break their leg if they get really, really unlucky. People slam much much much smaller, more delicate bones against hard poo poo on the body every minute of a fight. Silva got incredibly unlucky at probably the worst time for his legacy - and I am not saying Weidman didn't check the kick, because it's obvious he did. But you can't check in such a way as it will reliably break your opponents leg, dude got lucky.

Its not really luck at all if you study tape and determine that a guy throws really hard leg kicks, then you practice timing and checking them, hurting multiple training partners, then when the fight comes you do it and the guy who really has insane power breaks his own leg doing it. Weidman used perfect technique to use Anderson's own power to destroy him. Its the most kick rear end martial arts thing ever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Its not really luck at all if you study tape and determine that a guy throws really hard leg kicks, then you practice timing and checking them, hurting multiple training partners, then when the fight comes you do it and the guy who really has insane power breaks his own leg doing it. Weidman used perfect technique to use Anderson's own power to destroy him. Its the most kick rear end martial arts thing ever

during the post fight interview joe is all incredulous and worked up and weidman is just like "that will happen" and longo is in the back nodding and mumbling "that will happen"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
oh rheinhold already covered it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

david carmichael posted:

its really cool to think about how you've spent any amount of time thinking + learning about foreign policy and are somehow able to conclude "this brian stann fella, from the military rapes, seems to have some good ideas"

idk where you got that, I posted because what he said was really loving stupid. The full context makes it slightly less stupid but Stann is definitely still a myopic dummy for thinking America isn't doing evil poo poo that very often outpaces anything else in the world.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

idk where you got that, I posted because what he said was really loving stupid. The full context makes it slightly less stupid but Stann is definitely still a myopic dummy for thinking America isn't doing evil poo poo that very often outpaces anything else in the world.

you said you thought he was correct, but also that you think what he said was stupid?

• Locked thread