Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

david carmichael posted:

he was getting bullied in the clinch the entire fight. when he couldn't push jones up against the cage at all you could see him just sorta give up. add to that the fact that he got hit in the flabby body approximately 100 times and he just had nothing left

I don't think it is accurate to say that he was bullied in the clinch the entire fight. His best work in the first three rounds was in the clinch with dirty boxing away from the cage. The clinch only became his enemy when Jones could use his weight and leverage against he cage, which was mostly the story in the championship rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Congratulations once again to God's humble warrior, Jon Jones. Were there any fights worth catching?

I liked the Ceronne fight but Jury stifled his style pretty effectively. The most interesting thing was that it went to the ground in rd1 and Ceronne came close to finishing submissions several times, it really demoralized Jury.

And then at the end Ceronne was pissed that he didn't get the sub or KO so he just started kicking the poo poo out of Jury out of spite

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Jon Jones after the press conference: "[Cormier] thinks he's a big man? I treated him like a little man. That's the breaks boy, yeah, that's the breaks little man. Break it down."

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

1st AD posted:

Hunt could beat Jones. I think JDS, Cain, and Werdum definitely would.

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like Cormier landed a couple good leg kicks early. I feel like the fighter to beat Jon Jones needs to have great leg kicks and the ability to get up from the bottom if he gets take down from them. Everyone tries to take it to Jones early and then ends up getting attritioned down to nothing. Jones tends to gas in the later rounds (though his opponents have historically gassed worse), and I think someone who came in with a game plan of just destroying his mobility with leg kicks and body shots early without really engaging too much otherwise could take it to him in the later rounds when he slows down and is feeling all the leg damage. The dude's legs are super skinny, it couldn't take that many kicks to break him down.

Basically, someone needs to put Jose Aldo in the Willy Wonks taffy puller.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mewse posted:

I liked the Ceronne fight but Jury stifled his style pretty effectively. The most interesting thing was that it went to the ground in rd1 and Ceronne came close to finishing submissions several times, it really demoralized Jury.

And then at the end Ceronne was pissed that he didn't get the sub or KO so he just started kicking the poo poo out of Jury out of spite

Is it really "stifl[ing] his style pretty effectively" when you lose 30-27, are in danger of being finished multiple times and end the fight getting your rear end literally kicked?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
guys cain can make 205 right

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
At this point Cain Velasquez fighting anyone, much less Jones, is a what-if fantasy

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
on one hand

on the other

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Jones vs rumble is the last interesting lhw fight for him

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
How soon we forget about Lusty Gusty.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The only interesting prospect in LHW is jan blachowitz and he probably cant defrnd takedowns

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

-Atom- posted:

How soon we forget about Lusty Gusty.

He has to get passed rumble first

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Is it really "stifl[ing] his style pretty effectively" when you lose 30-27, are in danger of being finished multiple times and end the fight getting your rear end literally kicked?

I guess I mean he stifled Ceronne's desire to get another POTN bonus

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Cerrone didnt look good but at this stage in his career I dont think hes going to risk it all unless he has to. Jury couldnt do anything to him so he took the easy W. NExt time someone Barbozas him he'll probably go back to being the greatest show on earth or whatever

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Emotional investment in spoarts is horrible.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think rumble is gonna beat Gustafson

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

I think rumble is gonna beat Gustafson

if he can definitively beat Gus , then hes got a good shot to do it to jones

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Bundt Cake posted:

Cerrone didnt look good but at this stage in his career I dont think hes going to risk it all unless he has to.
"I was trying to break my leg" - Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Cerrone looked good at 30-27d an undefeated fighter wtf is everyone talking about

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Cerrone looked good at 30-27d an undefeated fighter wtf is everyone talking about

He looked fine but cmon he did nothing in the second

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

That wasnt a very good PPV

seems hard to believe that a card stacked with louis gaudinot, THE josh burkman vs hector lombard (who has had 3 all time terrible ufc matches in an era of absolutely terrible matches), brad tavares, and no discernible co main event would be bad. the ufc is BACK in 2015

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
That omoplata grab was pretty slick

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
is Rumble really that good? all I've seen are his fights against Davis and Little Nog and his wife but everyone seems to hype him up. either way i hope he loses because I want to see Gus gently caress up Jones.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I don't think it is accurate to say that he was bullied in the clinch the entire fight. His best work in the first three rounds was in the clinch with dirty boxing away from the cage. The clinch only became his enemy when Jones could use his weight and leverage against he cage, which was mostly the story in the championship rounds.

he landed some good short uppercuts and hooks, but ate one million knees and elbows and was unable to back up jones and got backed up and outmuscled constantly from the second round on

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

idontcare posted:

is Rumble really that good? all I've seen are his fights against Davis and Little Nog and his wife but everyone seems to hype him up. either way i hope he loses because I want to see Gus gently caress up Jones.

rumble is big and strong, and he absolutely handled davis and nog. his fight against arlovski doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence for his chances against jones however

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I still can't get over how tiny Cormier looked next to Jones in the cage.

It looked like a middleweight fighting a heavyweight.

I think we are stuck with Jones as the champ for a long time.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

david carmichael posted:

rumble is big and strong, and he absolutely handled davis and nog. his fight against arlovski doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence for his chances against jones however

Yeah I think Rumble has an outside chance due to his sheer power, but if he can't crack Jones chin he will likely get outclassed in every way.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

rumble probably won't beat gus and wouldn't beat jones.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Mark Hunt would beat all of them.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Seeing Chuck's picture made me thing about howChuck v Jones wouldve been a great fight. Luckily, Jones v Junior Dos Santos would be pretty much the exact same fight and Jones should move up and fight him

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jack Slack's breakdown is up if it hasn't been posted yet

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/ufc-182-jones-retains-the-crown-but-the-future-creeps-close

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I find Jones's style and tactics effective but annoying and not very fun to watch.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 4, 2015

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Google Butt posted:

I find Jones's style while effective is annoying and not very fun to watch.

He's fun to watch, he's just a tremendous shitheel. I have a bad feeling he's going to be champion for like the next decade

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The new hope to beat Jon Jones is officially... *lottery balls dislodge from a machine marked Sherdog Top Ten Rankings* Ovince St. Preux

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm just glad he's branching out his cheating game to include Aldo-esque fence grabs as well as eye pokes.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Aurain posted:

I'm just glad he's branching out his cheating game to include Aldo-esque fence grabs as well as eye pokes.

I was expecting some Three Stooges poo poo from last night's fight, only one eye poke and fence grab is the most honorable he's ever been

Herb Dean was on his rear end the entire rest of the fight after that lmao

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The new hope to beat Jon Jones is officially... *lottery balls dislodge from a machine marked Sherdog Top Ten Rankings* Ovince St. Preux

"If you were to design a fighter to beat Jon Jones, Mike, that guy is Ovince St. Preux."

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Herb Dean ate one of Cormier's punches at the end better than some of the guys Cormier's fought. I want to see a ref fight with him vs. Big John McCarthy, it would've been more entertaining than half of the fights last night

Also does anyone have a gif of Donald Cerrone's merciless literal rear end kicking at the end of that fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Cuckoo posted:

Herb Dean ate one of Cormier's punches at the end better than some of the guys Cormier's fought. I want to see a ref fight with him vs. Big John McCarthy, it would've been more entertaining than half of the fights last night

Also does anyone have a gif of Donald Cerrone's merciless literal rear end kicking at the end of that fight?

Herb Dean was a fighter. He wasn't very good.

• Locked thread