Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

some lady behind me last night said that cerrone was going to come out and knock out Jury within 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

niethan posted:

How can we even talk about Greatest Of All Time we don't even know how good people will get in the future. We should talk about the Greatest Until Now.

Genki Sudo is from the future and also another dimension, so he's greatest of all timelines

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

niethan posted:

How can we even talk about Greatest Of All Time we don't even know how good people will get in the future. We should talk about the Greatest Until Now.
The GUN would be Joe Riggs

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

fatherdog posted:

Nobody in this argument so far has stated any concrete criteria for GOAT, so how about you actually state some yourself before you harp on bundt about it

Already did.

K8.0 posted:

If you are judging GOATness by a period of absolute dominance

If you judge GOATness by absolute ability

First one is unquestionably Anderson, any other argument is silly.

The second one is my standard for GOAT. If you took a time machine and held a tournament between all the best fighters in history in a given division at their peak, the guy who would win is the best ever in that division. Once you nail down who is the best of all time at each weight, then you can start making the more subjective P4P comparison. In a sport as rapidly evolving as MMA, it's loving retarded to argue that anyone who isn't the best right now can be considered the GOAT.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

origami posted:

I actually agree with this. We should discuss DC dropping even more weight to go down to MW since he looked absolutely tiny last night.

http://fightnomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/UFC-Division-Anthropometrics.jpg

DC would make a big lightweight.
Last night it looked like a high school senior beating up a 4th grader

e: in terms of reach and height.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 4, 2015

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Saying BJ lost a lot like that tells the story of why he's great or not is missing the point so badly

did you notice the guys he lost to were the two longest reigning champs in welterweight history, machida who was a LHW champ and he was the only guy who ever kinda won a round against him until he fought Shogun, and he was a natural LW who could get as small as FW?? Its almost like theres more to it than a Win or Loss

agreed. we should also consider the cheating, fighting in a promotion ran by his mom where there was no commission oversight and his mom directly paid the referees, the constant excuses, the crying, the demanding to see gsp shower, etc.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Chexoid posted:

I always thought Remco Pardoel was a cool guy. Gigantic dutchman who would obliterate people with Judo, then talk about how he actually sucked. He was a pioneer of modern day MMA-chat.

didn't remco tap out to absolutely nothing against ruas

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
like ruas passed his guard and he tapped in agony, completely broken and then hopped up and was fine

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

david carmichael posted:

the demanding to see gsp shower, etc.

still completely reasonable

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
ALSO it should be noted that i was NOT discounting cormier's athletic background and achievements, and had the fight taken place during cormier's competition prime during the clinton administration i'm sure it would have been much more competitive

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that entire fight ruled because dc talked so much trash and jones was like "i don't agree with the things you are saying" and dc was like WE WILL SEE ABOUT THAT and then he got beaten up and cried, fatly

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
dc is basically one rich mom away from being the number 1 fighter of all time in bundt's book

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

david carmichael posted:

dc is basically one rich mom away from being the number 1 fighter of all time in bundt's book

lol

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

david carmichael posted:

Lmao

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

K8.0 posted:

Already did.

First one is unquestionably Anderson, any other argument is silly.

The second one is my standard for GOAT. If you took a time machine and held a tournament between all the best fighters in history in a given division at their peak, the guy who would win is the best ever in that division. Once you nail down who is the best of all time at each weight, then you can start making the more subjective P4P comparison. In a sport as rapidly evolving as MMA, it's loving retarded to argue that anyone who isn't the best right now can be considered the GOAT.

Jose Aldo HAS to be looked at as a great. With Anderson and Jones you can pick apart some of their past victories as not against the highest level of competition, or high level fighters on the way down of their carriers. But every one of Jose Aldo's fights since Cub Swanson in 2009 have been against top level fighters.

e: well I forgot about Manny Gamburyan, but other than that, my point holds.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 4, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Dangersim posted:

Originally his shoulder then I think he hurt his knee training for werdum

Speaking of Cain and his knee injuries, this video is a few years old, but is it just me or does this seem like a really bad idea. Like maybe there's a reason NFL linemen only do 15 reps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAgFHS8HOLY

e: lol there's another one of Josh Thomson doing the same thing with this guy

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
since some of my favorite things to talk about are Jose Aldo, fighter pay, and hating Jon Jones: I would like to bring up that Jose Aldo has always argued that every fighter deserves to be paid more by UFC while Jon Jones only thinks he should be paid more & has actually taken money away from other fighters. There's never been a doubt who is the better p4p fighter and individual.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I missed the prelims because I drove to eat expensive lovely hambuergs across the street from the MGM Grand last night. I guess I forgot that Saturday in Vegas is always poo poo and spent 35 minutes driving 2 or 3 miles from one end of the strip to the other. Apparently at Shake Shack it is ok to give you a 3 inch tall cup and make you charge $6 for a milk shake and the burger wasn't great either. Shaking up the nation? Doubtful.

I got the extreme pleasure of seeing the main card, though. I did see the Felder knock out on a TV walking past on my way out so I was like "drat, missing some good prelims". From what it sounded like the prelims were pretty good (how bad was Alexis face after what the french girl did to her?) and apparently Shawn Jordan came out and knocked someone out. Hmm good stuff.

I was in the room with a person who was like a huge fan of Hector Lombard. The entire fight he was like "do a judo" and he never did. He was going on about how he was styling Burkman and my comment was Burkman is standing against the cage with his arms down and Lombard is not capitalizing. I don't like watching Lombard fight. I even brought up the Boetsch fight but we have a real Hector Lombard fan here he defended everythingabout the man. He thinks he will one day be able to fight people the likes of Robbie Lawler. Give Lombard to Hendricks next Joe Silva.

The Horiguchi fight was a pretty good display but Louis Gaudinot threw 0 offense in that entire fight. I had a pillow propped up and at one point I almost considered sleeping until the co-main since I didn't see Marquardt having a very good performance either. Either way, this was a pretty obnoxious fight because Louis looked good in TUF and he had a few things after I thought were good. I don't know. Either way Horiguchi actually looks like he is a contender in a division no one cares about.

Tavares & Marquardt was an absolute barn burner of a fight. Theres not much more to say but Jones vs Cormier should not have got fight of this night. This one delivered from bell to bell and the energy in the octagon and the peoples reaction to this fight really shows why these two beasts are in the UFC. This fight had all of us with our fists in the air, pizza drooping from one hand as we all cheered at the action. Fantastic, possibly fight of the year.

Cerrone vs Jury was another reason why the main card sucked save one fight. I don't even see what was going on here. Jury impressed the poo poo out of us with his Sanchez fight but the jewish sword he was handed a few days ago during UFC countdown must have stolen some of his power and stored it in the sword because he was so tentative and besides getting taken down, repeating the same thing why he got taken down after 4 minutes of control, he mounted no offense that fight. It was dumb. I really had high hopes this would save the card (granted what was to come next would more than likely do that, but this is MMA).

Jones vs Cormier was competitive but that 5th round just made me go "hmm". I think what happened was whenever Daniel would try to clich with jones he would eat 3-4 knees and maybe that game plan should have gone out the window since those knees clearly took a toll on him in the championship rounds. I thought Jones was handily winning the fight I wouldn't say if Daniel had any dominant rounds and the judges would generally just see all the knees and go yeah jones is kind of winning this one. A good fight nonetheless after I think about it, although it kind of left the room in a state of "what the gently caress was that" considering the trash talk we were getting from both men. I figured the reach advantage would more than likely be the downfall for Cormier, but that take down defense of Jones was phenomenal. He had such a good base that Cormier couldn't even get in and do anything about it.

Well that is the way MMA goes especially UFC. You can't win them all but the important thing is that these wins/losses set up more fights and it is so early in the year so whatever.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Speaking of Cain and his knee injuries, this video is a few years old, but is it just me or does this seem like a really bad idea. Like maybe there's a reason NFL linemen only do 15 reps.

I remember cringing when I first saw this video - seems like a pretty bad idea from this professional keyboard jockey

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 4, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

colonel_korn posted:

That's absolutely not a safe way to use that machine. Holy poo poo, the stresses he's putting on his knee there.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
In what sense has jose aldo ever fought top level competition? He fights at 145...

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Meowbot posted:

Tavares & Marquardt was an absolute barn burner of a fight. Theres not much more to say but Jones vs Cormier should not have got fight of this night. This one delivered from bell to bell and the energy in the octagon and the peoples reaction to this fight really shows why these two beasts are in the UFC. This fight had all of us with our fists in the air, pizza drooping from one hand as we all cheered at the action. Fantastic, possibly fight of the year.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Burkman/Lombard is the greatest fight I've ever seen

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

origami posted:

I remember cringing when I first saw this video - seems like a pretty bad idea from this professional keyboard jockey

I mean I wouldn't do that, personally, because I've read good studies showing little benefit to natural training and extraordinary volume - hard to get your muscles to accommodate that kind of abuse. But I'm just some fucker on a forum and that's Cain Velasquez.

I dunno. He's got a history of injury that makes that extra risky, it's not a good movement. Nonetheless I'm hesitant to tell people to stop doing what works for them in fitness and sports since science is often no older than ten years in the field. Some great workouts display terrible kinematics, if something happens that might be why but if nothing happens it may be a shortcut to some particular strength he thinks he needs to do his thing.

Man, the Felder v Castillo fight was really something. I was more impressed with his striking and creativity than I was with Jon Jones', though lighter fighters always put on one hell of a show. He had some crazy good use of knees for both control and offensively, and that was a sick backfist to end things. That's a trick move in any fight, but he pulled it out of nowhere and that's how you knock a dude the gently caress out with a spinning backfist I guess!

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

K8.0 posted:

Already did.

I said earlier I thought the whole conversation was going to devolve into arguing about what greatest means. Look my only point is that there are a lot of great fighters, and its annoying to pretend that Anderson and GSP are unimpeachably the two greatest and that any other opinion is stupid. There have always been great fighters. GSP and ANderson were the greatest in their divisions for their time. But there have been a lot of people like them. Not everyone has approached MMA the same way over the years

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

For example, some guys have tried beating up tiny japanese men while on every possible steroid. In it's own way, isn't that equally good?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
These McGregor vs. Siver promos are so hilariously one-sided.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

origami posted:

I'm pretty sure a single wrestling session is worse for your knees then a few light reps on that machine.

What jones did last night reminded me a little of when anderson outclassed griffen. He just made the HW division look worse then it already has. I was shocked to see him bully cormier so easily in the clinch when that is what he did in most of his fights vs HW's.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

shizen posted:

I'm pretty sure a single wrestling session is worse for your knees then a few light reps on that machine.

What jones did last night reminded me a little of when anderson outclassed griffen. He just made the HW division look worse then it already has. I was shocked to see him bully cormier so easily in the clinch when that is what he did in most of his fights vs HW's.

the HW division doesnt need any help looking bad

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

These McGregor vs. Siver promos are so hilariously one-sided.

I just saw today that Benson is on that card via a commercial on during the NFL game and I had no idea until now.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

shizen posted:

50 reps of 300 lb leg extensions as quickly as possible is 'light'? Agreed already pointed out that he's Cain and we're just a bunch of dorks but that doesn't seem to be the best workout for a guy with known knee problems.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Edit: Lots of words, but it's not a super safe exercise no - he'll probably keep doing it and he'll probably not get hurt. Safety isn't really a huge concern when the question is "can you get a heavy dude trying to knock your head into the ground off of you and/or keep him down" and for that I'd probably be willing to do something unsafe to prepare too honestly

In general with those, it's not safe because you're sticking a lot of weight smack onto a tendon without regard for its axis of strength. That exercise blows out perfectly healthy legs with some regularity. It's still hard to load those muscles like that any other way, though you can just incorporate loading into compound movements that (performed correctly) are safer. But if you need a lot of leg strength, I mean... There you go, I guess. Dangerous but tons of folks do it for the results.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 5, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

kensei posted:

I just saw today that Benson is on that card via a commercial on during the NFL game and I had no idea until now.

Benson vs Eddie is one of the highest LW payroll fights possible and they aren't promoting it at all because of Conor McGregor. But then again Conor alone brings in more livegate dollars than either of them so UFC will make good money on this card anyway and good ratings.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Here's what the lady who was beaten to death last night was doing before going to the UFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5SNexJSVs
holy moly lmfao. we know who had the feast, melissa mccarthy

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

origami posted:

50 reps of 300 lb leg extensions as quickly as possible is 'light'? Agreed already pointed out that he's Cain and we're just a bunch of dorks but that doesn't seem to be the best workout for a guy with known knee problems.

I didn't see the weight to be honest but still I don't feel that machine is as damaging on the body as sparing. The way he was using it he was using his hips a lot to move the weight and not doing full ROM anyways so didn't look to be putting as much stress as it could. Most fighters don't seem to train that smart but any training to max intensity is bad for your body and is why many old fighters are broken men.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I hope Tateki does well in his fight on the 18th and since you guys have no dog in that fight you should also hope he wins impressively

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It is potentially a risky exercise. You're placing a lot of shearing force against connective tissue as the basis of the lift - what muscles get engaged is sort of beside the point after that.

Sparring is plenty risky too, any kind of full contact combative is going to result in some degree of "normal" injuries, but adding specifically dangerous poo poo to your workout (especially when you have a related injury in your history) is a very high-risk thing to do, considering the benefits aren't totally unique to that lift.

It's still absurd to try to second guess a fighter's program if they're not wanting to change it and they're winning fights. No kidding, sports science is often garbage. The athletic window doesn't really allow for repose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Jones was asked if he could fight Cain at some point during the post fight thing and said absolutely I Could beat Cain. Then he later on was like "listen I'm done talking about heavyweight stop it guys". I personally don't think Jones could beat Cain.

Here is the score card obviously 4 judges scored it for Jon Jones so it isn't a hard one to figure out but not sure why everyone here thought Cormier had won possibly 3 rounds in this fight everyone I watched it with thought Cormier was losing handily. I can see the second maybe but the third I don't remember Cormier doing much but getting kneed in the gut again.

Also Jones is not even trying to be nice anymore:

"I don't like Daniel Cormier," Jones said Saturday night on FOX Sports 1. "I don't respect Daniel Cormier. I hope he's somewhere crying right now. I'm sure he is. I can't wait until he earns his way back, so I can whoop him again."

• Locked thread