Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
what was that sandstorm remix i think it was the 3rd fight that was actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
whoever said that he wants jones to lose to dc, then to gustaffson for the shot, then to rumble, then he moves to heavyweight and gets retired by mark hunt: same

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lamadrid posted:

I simply don't get the point of the article.

a high-level self-professed cheater gives his thoughts on a topic he is extremely familiar with? don't go looking for subtext (aside from undisclosed medical reasons clearly meaning tiny grapes) because there isn't any layers here. he's speaking on a topic. take what you want from it, imo. poo poo if nothing else the prose is good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

1st AD posted:

overall jones was the more dominant wrestler and DC couldn't keep up his pace

i dislike this type of phrasing because it negates the effects of getting hit really loving hard in the stomach repeatedly.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that lookin rear end nigga thread would have gone great with greg jackson as the subject

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

Royce Gracie steps out of a time machine from the past to school Jones

RULES
*There will be no rounds
*Jones will be strapped to a gurney like hannibal lector throughought

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Aurain posted:

The concept of a GOAT in a sport as young as MMA in its current form is kind of laughable to me.
The likelihood is that in 20 years from now, we'll have fighters who are much more skilled, talented and well trained than the best of the best currently. It'll own.

boxing dude. everyone in talks for goat are dead or basically dead

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

I said as good. And fine, I'll wade into your argument, but I'm pretty sure you're going to keep arguing without actually listening to me and change between whether its about accomplishments or who would beat who.

Lets open with COleman, Chuck, BJ, Hughes, Bustamante and Nogueira. Thats off the top of my head.

not hughes because i don't like him

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

Money Mayweather is still alive and kicking (women).

sure if he fights pac i'll put him behind 7 or 8 other dudes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

as far as any singular accomplishment goes i think tj deserves serious consideration for outclassing and then wrecking a guy in the 'p4p rankings'. if you're ranked in the p4p list, you should not be able to be dismantled and if you are, it's an incredible achievement..... but once a fighter is defeated he wasn't that good anyway let's stop pretending he was back o the line tj

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

I mean none of the fighters you listed have the resume Anderson has and a few of them aren't even remotely close.

it's not about 'who'd beat who in a fight' or anything like that because there is a generation(s) gap.. greatness is intangible, they all deserve consideration, like bundt said ages ago

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

K8.0 posted:

So you're just going to continue to refuse to concretely state how you're judging them so you can waffle around as you need to make your ridiculous argument. Got it.

you can't concretely state the criteria for an intangible subject

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

After three rounds I had it 29-28 Cormier, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see it scored anything from 30-27 to 27-30. All of rounds 1-3 were really, really close.

4 and 5 were, of course, not close at all.

Exactly as I had it. I had Jones winning 1 and 3 extremely narrowly but it really was very close.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Forrest Griffin was one of the most liked guys when he was fighting.

there's really no need for the second half of that sentence

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

jon jones is a good fighter who tattles on marijuana doers while he himself commits worse atrocities - unforgivable

anderson silva was a good fighter but talks like a girl and nearly blew his coaches head off because 'reasons'

chael sonnen is cool and was doing god's work by roiding to defeat these stains on humanity. i'm comfortable saying this because he has a personality that's entertaining for the right reasons.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

diaz winning would catapult him into a title shot and nothing would be funnier than weidman / diaz

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Here's the question, if Silva wins does he get another run at the Middleweight belt, or does Dana jump at the opportunity to set up the Jones/Silva super-fight Weidman ruined?

anderson silva does not want to fight chris weidman again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hey anderson, you're a hundred years old and still have your legacy completely untainted because people on sherdog are loving stupid. wanna get absolutely crushed by weidman agin?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i like this matchup a whole big bunch. cerrone has improved an awful lot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hey jury you fought a guy so ineffectually that he's ready for his actual fight in < 2 weeks time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Against the former lightweight champion that he's 0-2 against.

i just double checked the official ufc twitter and you're right, that is the match up

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hahaha i'm too high-brow for donald cerrone, the stupid dumb idiot redneck. i don't know what i'd talk to a dude who likes drinking, fighting, and doing cool poo poo about. i bet the experience would be underwhelming and i'd regress back to the time jocks like him pulled my pants down in high school lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i see uriah hall is fighting some guy in the hopes that he'll be able to finally do something of note in the real ufc. it's good that his friend john howard is on the same card. they can hang out and be friendly as long as they don't put it on tv and call it a fight.

also parke / tibau is a good fight to see where parke's at.. his style is decision based but he's by no means terrible to watch. it's a good step up rather than getting blown away by masvidal imo.

pretty good free card.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: Says he hasn't seen Bendo's losses to Pettis or RDA.

he must exasperate greg jackson

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

To be specific I meant I wouldn't bank on it showing effects in the Bendo fight, and yes he is definitely on the highway to hired help.

no loving way he'll be miguel torressing well into his 50's

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

parthenocarpy posted:

jon jones: #1 fighter gram for gram

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

roy's good on the ground. meaning overeem will have to stand with him for 3 rounds. which means.... lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

There's no point in an interim belt when he's doing a three-week token spa excursion for the rich who need a pr boost.

Please cite your evidence.

Is there not video evidence of a grappling competition in which Roy Nelson submits Frank Mir? Maybe I'm misremembering

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

He didn't sub him, just passed his guard and breakdanced on him for ten minutes or so. He did kneebar Brandon Vera in that same tournament, though.

ah. still i think this qualifies for 'is good on the ground' to be a fairly uncontroversial statement. i hope roy kills overeem.

christ hendo / gayhard is going to be awful.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

freud mayweather posted:

what's controversial is stating that overeem would be more scared to take him down than to keep it standing. nelson has never shown a dangerous guard, but has KO'd a whole mess of dudes standing.

I posit that dealing with the ground game of a guy who can out grapple Frank Mir might be less appealing than watching out for literally one dangerous punch

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

freud mayweather posted:

laying his fat body on frank mir in 1999 says absolutely nothing about how he would fare off his back, where his mass would actually work against him, and he would have the dexterity of roy nelson. nelson is a fat turtle on his back. it's been a couple years since nelson/mir in the ufc, but i don't remember him being able to do anything off his back when mir tossed him around.

are you asserting that a bjj black belt will be completely stymied because he's on his back? and you are aware that the person who (might) be on top of him is alistair overeem and not frank mir?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

I remember (ghost of) Frank Mir and Bigfoot 'last submitted Jim York in '09', both bjj black belts, being completely stifled on their backs by Overeem.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

origami posted:

Overeem is a decent grappler; not sure where the confusion is.

there is none. i believe overeem will want to keep it standing, but would be interested to see roy on the ground

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Nelson's last submission was over some guy named Jerome Smith in 2006. Also Struve has a good guard and Overeem was fine.

it seems to me that no-one wants to go to the ground with roy for a reason. if his bjj was not threatening, why would so many people be content to stand and accept the only weapon he has available to him?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Neurosis posted:

overeem's top game is good and roy nelson's bottom game has never been shown to be good at all and we have no reason to think it is this isn't rocket science

has it been shown ever? i'm not digging in my heels i am genuinely curious.if roy was useless on the ground, then loving noone is taking advantage of that, so i assume, with what little information i have (roy straight up outgrappling frank mir) that most people think going to the ground with roy is a terrible idea

e: 90's boxing on the mind

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 7, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

If Jones develops an ounce of self awareness and any sense of humour at all his memoirs could be the greatest thing the sport of MMA would ever produce

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

he doesn't behave the way white people want black people to behave

black people are proud of jon jones - david carmichael

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

now THAT'S fuckin racist

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

acai moonsault posted:

UFC have signed Joe Duffy into the lightweight division. He went 10-0 submitting Conor McGregor & Norman Parke along the way then got his first loss in 2011, then he quit MMA and started a boxing career going 7-0. He returned to MMA last year and finished another 2 guys in Cage Warriors.

sounds good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

In Lloyd Irvin's defense

not a phrase you want sitting in your post history

• Locked thread