Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like Cormier landed a couple good leg kicks early. I feel like the fighter to beat Jon Jones needs to have great leg kicks and the ability to get up from the bottom if he gets take down from them. Everyone tries to take it to Jones early and then ends up getting attritioned down to nothing. Jones tends to gas in the later rounds (though his opponents have historically gassed worse), and I think someone who came in with a game plan of just destroying his mobility with leg kicks and body shots early without really engaging too much otherwise could take it to him in the later rounds when he slows down and is feeling all the leg damage. The dude's legs are super skinny, it couldn't take that many kicks to break him down.

Basically, someone needs to put Jose Aldo in the Willy Wonks taffy puller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

colonel_korn posted:

Speaking of Cain and his knee injuries, this video is a few years old, but is it just me or does this seem like a really bad idea. Like maybe there's a reason NFL linemen only do 15 reps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAgFHS8HOLY

e: lol there's another one of Josh Thomson doing the same thing with this guy

That's absolutely not a safe way to use that machine. Holy poo poo, the stresses he's putting on his knee there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

shizen posted:

I didn't see the weight to be honest but still I don't feel that machine is as damaging on the body as sparing. The way he was using it he was using his hips a lot to move the weight and not doing full ROM anyways so didn't look to be putting as much stress as it could. Most fighters don't seem to train that smart but any training to max intensity is bad for your body and is why many old fighters are broken men.

The way he was using the machine was levering his calves against the seat. This means that his shin is being pulled away from his femur on each rep. This has the exact sort of impact on the patella and connective tissue as you would imagine. It's really dumb to do wild uncontrolled reps like that on any exercise, but especially on exercises that have the potential to apply that sort of levering force on a joint.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
During the fight, it seemed that DC was willing to go blow-for-blow, but this new information casts a new light on the fight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think it's extremely cool and progressive of Jon Jones to continue to defy racial stereotypes by selecting the non-crack variety of cocaine for his personal use.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

freud mayweather posted:

According to Kevin Iole, Jones' T/E ratio was 0.29/1. I don't know what that means, besides that it's really low.

Doesn't that mean that he' doing the opposite of juicing? Or does it mean that he'd cycled off for the fight at that point and his natural T production was bottomed out?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
How is it legal to fight with a metal rod in your leg? Is the material light enough that it doesn't impart additional power to the kick?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
they tried to make me go to rehab and I said "hey pussy I'm not still there".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
For those of you not understanding why Bec's posts are stupid, modern feminism is literally about equal rights for all humans. Old guard feminism with, like, bra burning and establishing the matriarchy haven't been a thing for like two decades outside of fox news's semi-annual update on the feminazi conspiracy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I dunno, yuriy seems to dislike them. I just wanted y'all to know that feminists are as sex positive as Aleks is Hep C

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
brother, can't there be room for all types of posting here? let's all just get together and honor jon jones by railing a huge asterisk of coke where we all come together lady and the tramp style at the end.

then we can all say some things about not watching fights or free mma, followed by a spirited discussion about whether rumors of locker room cocaine bonuses justify nate diaz's small paychecks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
doesn't cocaine give you mega ed? how is jones getting all these girls teen pregnant when he's fiending on coke 24/7?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MassRafTer posted:

For a good part of Round 2 that was shutting Cerrone down. If I judged it as a 15 minute block I'd probably give it to Bendo if I went round by round I can see how Cerrone got it. It was fun to see Cerrone figure it out as the fight wore on.

It's p much this, yeah. Cerrone lost the second round by being very tentative and letting Bendo push him back. He won the first and third by doing more damage. Bendo landed a lot, but they were mostly ineffective check strikes or jon jones poo poo.

That said, round 1 probably could have gone either way as well.

Also, I am understanding less and less why Conor is so marketable last night. All his poo poo-talk spots during the Packers game were super awkward and stilted, and he just acted like a huge weirdo going into the fight. Like, he comes up with good poo poo-talk but it just doesn't flow out very well which makes him seem mean but not charismatic. I guess it's enough to fool the 90% of America that can't string together a sentence without eleven f-bombs, but he just seems like a lucky yokel who's riding the train UFC bought for him for all he can manage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

origami posted:

I thought the Cathal decision was pretty bad.

Regarding Conor, I may be misremember but I think Siver kicked the legs out underneath 2-3 times. That does not bode well for an Aldo fight.

Holy poo poo, yeah. That fight was boring so I forgot about it, but I could not understand how on earth that fight was judged for Cathal.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

red19fire posted:

Numbers came in from FS1: Fight Night 59 did an average of 2.7 million viewers, the most successful FN ever and the highest rated show on FS1, ever. Almost matches the viewership of UFC on Fox in December at 2.8 million. Conor McGregor is a bigger draw than Jon Jones on FS1.

Get ready. All Conor All The Time is coming.

Ultimate Fighting Conor.

I think it's too soon to declare that Conor is the reason for the numbers. The fact is that they spent all day promoting the show on two of the biggest football games of the year. I'd love to hear one of our nerdy statistics goons' thoughts on how to actually isolate the various factors involved in the fight's viewership.

Hell, it's possible being on on Sunday could have had an effect too, since many people in the UFC's demo are out getting really drunk on Saturdays rather than at home watching FS1.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

K8.0 posted:

In MMA there are an extremely small number of people making enough money to work for a few years and then retire. Jon happens to be one of them. What I said, people need to be quite certain that a career in MMA will make them retirement level money before most people will consider it. Chandler and Arthur were pretty much guaranteed to make enough money to retire the moment they signed NFL contracts. With Jon that was far from the case, he had to destroy everyone he faced and promote himself very well to get rich. Jose Aldo is probably going to get rich now but only because an Irish man who is really good at promoting himself is really helping him out, and I would argue Aldo is extremely comparable to Jon in terms of his MMA career performance.

You're really wrong about this too. Most NFL guys are drafted and play a couple years as filler and then are kicked to the curb for cheaper new draftees. Only the true stars stick around and make the kind of crazy money that means they never work again. Signing an NFL contract doesn't even remotely guarantee "retirement-level money".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I am "NOT GOOD" at photoshop, but you get the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

jerome lebanner got a rod put in his arm after hoost smashed it up and was basically never the same fighter

Yeah, here's the thing. If X-Men was real and you could replace your skeleton with metal and become strong enough to move it around, you probably would have an unfair advantage in a fight. But the reality is that if you're to the point of getting metal poo poo put into your body, part of your body has been damaged to the point that it can't heal back to its original sturdiness and in the mean time all the muscles and ligaments that attach near there are deteriorating from lack of use and the body's built-in inhibition mechanisms. Even after the metal allows whatever bones to knit themselves back together, you're probably not likely to ever re-develop the same level of strength, reflex, stability, and coordination you had before, as getting there took you a lifetime of training that's now out the window because your limb blew up and you need to teach it how to do limb things again.

tl;dr: having a rod in your leg or plate in your face is not the same thing as having a sick adamantium skeleton.

• Locked thread