Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Cormier mentally broke after round 3, sorry all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Agreed posted:

Well, he was getting hosed up right in his strengths by an overwhelming and imposing opponent. I feel like DC did a good job with what he had, it just turned out he had a lot less than he hoped against Jones' crazy rear end reach and leverage.

I was being a little cheeky because theres always that layer of trying to psychoanalyze the fighters or whatever. I think he was tired more than he really "mentally broke" whatever that means, but it just looked like he quit because he got so weak and stopped attacking in the fourth.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Agreed posted:

Yeah, he was gassing. Jones has his body fine-tuned for perfect cardio without sacrificing strength in a meaningful way, and it'd be stupid to discount his own wrestling skill - he's tall and strong and that gives him advantages, but seeing some of his lateral drops in previous fights, daaamn. Even early on he was moving people around in ways you just can't if you're only using strength. DC brought a very, very wrestling-centric sensibility to the fight, pushed the pace like Cain would have but Cormier can't bring Cain's cardio. I feel like his frame is really better for Heavyweight, but the division isn't very appealing if you can fight one lower.

If he had paced himself better, he'd have been hosed up really early on - he HAD to fight at that pace to match Jones, and for all the poo poo I enjoy talking about Jon Jones as a brand, as a human being he is an amazingly complete fighter and seems on track to be the best ever. Hell of a lot worse people to lose to, even if he makes it harder by being such a shithead.

Jones has unique leverage in a lot of situations. We'll never know if Cormier just didnt have the gas for the pace they set or if the knees and other body blows did him in. He landed a lot of those rights in the clinch, and some other good punches. He had the skills to deal with Jones but he couldn't quite get over the hump. He was matching Jones' elbows and knees with those uppercuts in the clinch to some extent. I thought he got the better of round 2.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

cormier said the body blows took a toll. i agree that he won round 2

I meant never as in saying bad to mean cool

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

i dislike this type of phrasing because it negates the effects of getting hit really loving hard in the stomach repeatedly.

the pace thing doesnt make sense to me because cormier was pushing the pace if anything after jones initial attack

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Cerrone didnt look good but at this stage in his career I dont think hes going to risk it all unless he has to. Jury couldnt do anything to him so he took the easy W. NExt time someone Barbozas him he'll probably go back to being the greatest show on earth or whatever

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

I think rumble is gonna beat Gustafson

if he can definitively beat Gus , then hes got a good shot to do it to jones

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Cerrone looked good at 30-27d an undefeated fighter wtf is everyone talking about

He looked fine but cmon he did nothing in the second

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Seeing Chuck's picture made me thing about howChuck v Jones wouldve been a great fight. Luckily, Jones v Junior Dos Santos would be pretty much the exact same fight and Jones should move up and fight him

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

-Atom- posted:

It must suck to not be able to separate Jon the person from the fighter because poo poo like this doesn't really happen all that often, ya'll.

So far there have been non stop all time great fighters fighting the whole time Ive been watching mma so yeah it kinda does happen constantly

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Incendiary Pig posted:

What about Weidman moving up and fighting Jones?

Yes, I realize that he has a lot of fights at middleweight, this is just a hypothetical.

It would be good

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

However educated MMA fans usually only talk about 1 or 2 guys being the best ever, and that is Anderson and GSP. I think it's very safe to put Jones in that category at this point.

educated mma fans know fighters from before anderson and gsp

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Yeah and Anderson and GSP were better then all of the.

That's not true

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

Ah yes I forgot to mention Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz in the GOAT discussion.

You're taking some intellectual high ground while repeating Dana White's Greatest Fighters of All Time List, why dont you cool it a little bit

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Do you really want me to list all the great fighters from the beginning of the ufc

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

I want you to list who was better then Anderson and gsp

Rankings are really sweet but lets just say there have been a lot of great fighters and there have been guys who have been dominant champions for different stretches and its impossible to quantify greatness in some way to come up with a definitive hierarchy, and because there have been so many great fighters over two and half decades its stupid to just blanket that two guys who went on great runs during the peak of the UFC's popularity as indisputably the best and assert that its ignorant to suggest otherwise is annoying and limits conversation to Joe Rogan talking points

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I said as good. And fine, I'll wade into your argument, but I'm pretty sure you're going to keep arguing without actually listening to me and change between whether its about accomplishments or who would beat who.

Lets open with COleman, Chuck, BJ, Hughes, Bustamante and Nogueira. Thats off the top of my head.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

origami posted:

GOAT chat is so boring god drat

I think it could be cool to talk about great fighters, but I guess we have to make sure that all the idiots know they're dumb if they consider fighters besides anderson and GSP as the greatest of all time.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Middle Weight Division

Also no one is sparkling. Everyones had ugly moments. Anderson had trouble with Damien Maia and Thales Leites. one of his defenses was against Patrick Cote, and he did almost nothing. Marquardt worked to get him down for four minutes, then got stood up instantly. Lutter mounted him.

He wasn't invincible and flawless. He was an amazing fighter in a bad division. he had plenty of good opponents, but lacked challengers at times

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

I mean none of the fighters you listed have the resume Anderson has and a few of them aren't even remotely close.

Why dont you make a specific point professor

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

K8.0 posted:

Do you really want to think about what would happen if Nog in his prime tried to fight today's Velasquez or Werdum? Can you imagine what Hendricks or Lawler would do to Matt Hughes face?

Nog beat Werdum and Hughes was champ while Lawler was coming up. They would've beaten them then, and the younger guys would beat them now.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

Coleman and BJ lost a lot and Anderson didn't?

Ok so its just about losses. That conversation doesn't interest me. I dont give a poo poo who lost the least times. Dan Henderson has an ugly record that should probably be uglier. Myles Jury was undefeated until last night

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Saying BJ lost a lot like that tells the story of why he's great or not is missing the point so badly

did you notice the guys he lost to were the two longest reigning champs in welterweight history, machida who was a LHW champ and he was the only guy who ever kinda won a round against him until he fought Shogun, and he was a natural LW who could get as small as FW?? Its almost like theres more to it than a Win or Loss

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Imagine if BJ or Bustamante had tried to protect their legacy instead of just trying to test themselves in a sport without a lot of money in it. They both decided to challenge themselves instead of get a wikipedia page that would impress educated mma fans ten years later

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

K8.0 posted:

Already did.

I said earlier I thought the whole conversation was going to devolve into arguing about what greatest means. Look my only point is that there are a lot of great fighters, and its annoying to pretend that Anderson and GSP are unimpeachably the two greatest and that any other opinion is stupid. There have always been great fighters. GSP and ANderson were the greatest in their divisions for their time. But there have been a lot of people like them. Not everyone has approached MMA the same way over the years

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I think Andersons real career is more interesting than the version where he was an unstoppable perfect fighter. The fact he could cover up all his deficiencies by suckering guys into wild exchanges and being amazing at finishing people is one of the reasons I think he was so cool. And it was awesome that his reign ended getting KO'd while taunting and then his own strength breaking his leg because Weidman's awesome technique. GSP was way closer to being that guy who would dominate people in all areas without getting in trouble. But he didnt have the grit or sudden KO ability of Anderson.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I can't wait till the punch drunk and also regular drunk retarded man fights the guy he's 0-2 against on two weeks notice, should be competitive.

Me too

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The Bonnar fight too. He laid in Bonnars guard and never moved.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Sam Hoger fight probably. Im 90% sure.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
R1
Round one starts with a takedown from Evans into Hoger's closed-guard. Referee Mario Yamasaki restarts the action after 30 seconds. Rashad charges in and lands several punches before clinching against the fence. Nice jab followed by a right hand lands cleanly for the TUF champion. Hard body shot forces Hoger to cringe and back pedal. Right hand from Sam ejects Rashad's mouthguard to the canvas. Round one ends with both fighters trading punches.

Sherdog score: 10-9 Evans

R2
The second period starts with a fast takedown by Evans. Quick restart from Yamasaki follows. Awesome exchange of punches with both fighters connecting. Evans working against the fence, showing more attention to wrist control than striking. With 30 seconds remaining, Rashad scores a takedown. Just before the bell, Hoger nearly forces a tap from a deep Kimura.

Sherdog score: 10-9 Hoger

R3
The third stanza starts with a headkick from Sam, but Rashad answers with a takedown. Sam looks for another Kimura then transitions to a heelhook. Both fighters now back to standing. A relentless Evans scores his second takedown of the round. Mario Yamasaki stops the action to repair dangling tape from Hoger's gloves. Quick scramble from both athletes sees a triangle attempt from Sam and a quick reversal as Rashad secures another takedown as the fight ends.

Sherdog score: 10-9 Evans (29-28 Evans)

Official score: 29-28(Hoger) 29-28 (Evans) 30-27 (Evans)

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
im glad to know that the confidence you get from beating up the toughest guys on earth for millions of dollars still isn't as good as cocaine

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Bonnar, Rashad, Coleman, Gustaffson and Frank Mir all beat Jones up. They are awesome.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I hope once Jones finally loses he doesn't do like Matt Hughes did and take it totally in stride with the best attitude ever

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Legacy tarnished

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
You cant explain how much of a dick Jones is for the way he treated Rashad in bullet points. He mercilessly hosed him over, despite Rashad being one of the main reasons Jackson's was able to build the training infrastructure Jones came up in and Rashad personally helping him.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

and he didn't even gently caress him over, rashad was sitting out to protect his brand or whatever while shogun was injured, then once shogun was healthy rashad got injured. they offered the fight to jones, jones said yes. after the fight they offered jones/evans, jackson offered to work out a way to let other shittier coaches do a camp for evans (because he is a shittier fighter) and evans left and instead trained under the tutelage of esteemed striker mva.

Taking the fight was OKay, its kicking him out of the camp he was the marquee fighter for then ducking him for a long time was the bad part

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Rashad was the reason the infrastructure existed at the level that it did, and he personally helped Jon. Greg had other talented fighters but GSP took his success out of town. Greg and Jon forcing him out is cold blooded imo, and they're dicks.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Agreed posted:

Weidman won the first fight out and out, Silva had that poo poo coming too and it was amazing. The second fight though, come on, anyone can break their leg if they get really, really unlucky. People slam much much much smaller, more delicate bones against hard poo poo on the body every minute of a fight. Silva got incredibly unlucky at probably the worst time for his legacy - and I am not saying Weidman didn't check the kick, because it's obvious he did. But you can't check in such a way as it will reliably break your opponents leg, dude got lucky.

Its not really luck at all if you study tape and determine that a guy throws really hard leg kicks, then you practice timing and checking them, hurting multiple training partners, then when the fight comes you do it and the guy who really has insane power breaks his own leg doing it. Weidman used perfect technique to use Anderson's own power to destroy him. Its the most kick rear end martial arts thing ever

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
oh rheinhold already covered it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Agreed posted:

Ok, you guys have convinced me that I at the very least need to look at his training footage. It's definitely not beyond a fighter of Weidman's caliber to spot an offensive tendency and exploit it. He's incredibly disciplined and a very precise striker, moving that around to intercept a telegraphed leg kick wouldn't be impossible. And, you know, I'm definitely not saying "he didn't even mean to check the kick!" which would be some olympic-level horseshit. He checked it just about perfectly, I'd say. And, hell, maybe the perfect outcome really is "it breaks the fuckin' leg, that's why you don't impact on your shin." I will take a look at the videos and see if that doesn't change my mind.

If it does, I still think it's an absolutely insane gameplan, but not because it didn't work.

Its a great gameplan and it shows that his camp is actually smart because if you watch their first fight, its the main attack that Anderson has a lot of success with. He basically lands it at will. So they knew Anderson would probably be looking to exploit it again because he's a smart fighter himself and would know that Weidman wasn't defending it.

The least credit you can give them is that they say where Weidman was weak in the fight, and Weidman improved 100% before the rematch.

they said all this stuff explicitly. its not some theory we made up

• Locked thread