Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Congratulations once again to God's humble warrior, Jon Jones. Were there any fights worth catching?

I liked the Ceronne fight but Jury stifled his style pretty effectively. The most interesting thing was that it went to the ground in rd1 and Ceronne came close to finishing submissions several times, it really demoralized Jury.

And then at the end Ceronne was pissed that he didn't get the sub or KO so he just started kicking the poo poo out of Jury out of spite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Is it really "stifl[ing] his style pretty effectively" when you lose 30-27, are in danger of being finished multiple times and end the fight getting your rear end literally kicked?

I guess I mean he stifled Ceronne's desire to get another POTN bonus

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Which fighter has the most heart?

its dan hardy

Frankie, mark hunt

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Under no circumstances would I want to have a conversation or spend any time whatsoever with Cerrone

does his posture bother you?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I want to believe DC got this news are just started laughing hysterically

mewse
May 2, 2006

red19fire posted:

People are asking how Jones got licensed if he popped a month before the fight. The :tinfoil: answer is that killing another PPV would alienate Jones's last remaining fans and the UFC was protecting him.

Because it's not banned out of competition but they tested for it anyway

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pelleas posted:

Jones doing coke is probably the least offensive thing hes done.

He's such a loving phony that even his trip to rehab feels insincere.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hm yes this is a real doctor calling, from a respected drug testing laboratory. I'm calling to inform you that we accidentally copy/pasted the test results from an earlier test, and I also drank the urine sample, accidentally.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The only guy I know in real life with one of those bengal cats is a coke dealer

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynXBUwX3D8

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

go to the tcc cocaine and heroin megathreads and watch a lot of people debate this. it's really funny and sad in equal measure.

their only problem is stigma from people like you. disgusting.

e: and the heroin

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hope you enjoyed that cocaine jon, because we're gonna come down on you like a - oh you're going to rehab? Ok

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

IMPORTANT LYOTO MACHIDA UPDATE: He's still cool as gently caress

http://instagram.com/p/xmxZ5bJ6cM/

Edit: Also, Ladies Love Cool Lyoto http://instagram.com/p/xI1zrPJ6aI/

Machida is growing on me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

I saw Cowboy on twitter last night asking the people of Boston where he could park his RV for the week since the campgrounds are closed due to it being January in Boston. If he has to move to a new Wal Mart parking lot every night, that could be a big factor :ohdear:

You'd have to think there's some redneck UFC fan with land that Ceronne could park on

mewse
May 2, 2006

My training secret is lots of carbon monoxi*dies*

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

maybe i should learn how to watermark my poo poo in case of thievery

Internet Pro Posters watermark

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gourd of Taste posted:

this is easily worse than that guy with the hots for Rory

Rory is the handsomest boy in the gestapo

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm really glad that Schaub has excellent defense mechanisms to protect his dignity from haters like Joe Rogan

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Every time a fighter gets a tattoo it becomes really apparent who here actually knows anything about tattoos. Given Barao's complexion that tattoo is all black and grey and its INCREDIBLY well done. Just an awful reference image. Similar to Mick Diaz's chest gorilla.

So it's a good bad tattoo

mewse
May 2, 2006

Let's make a new sitcom, with hookers and blow! In fact, forget the sitcom!

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

:siren: :siren: NSAC meeting starting on Fight Pass :siren: :siren:

Is that motherfucking Don King??!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wanderlei?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dangersim posted:

I guess one of the coveted Nevada slots opened up?

RIP Josh Rosenthal

mewse
May 2, 2006

A person I know IRL posted to her facebook that she's questioning the legitimacy of the UFC after this Jon Jones fiasco. I wonder how big the impact is on less hardcore fans than us. I'm guessing "not very" but I was surprised to see the post.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Bec Rawlings has some interesting photos up with some interesting opinions as well on her instagram

I think this, and Mangina, are going to start a tradition of girl TUFs where the most obnoxious women immediately disrobe for the internet to try and stay relevant. It would be nice if the handsome men from the show follow their lead.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is this where the meatheads in bars I've been reading about gather and will I hate watching MMA afterwards? I have mixed feelings about this now.

Don't blow it out of proportion because of posters complaining about fake tans and bad posture

mewse
May 2, 2006

acai moonsault posted:

my fav part of the embedded is dennis siver being amused by how many trash cans his face is on

I liked when they said they can put conor in there after the fight. Because he's garbage

mewse
May 2, 2006

freud mayweather posted:

it's your right to have a weirdo vendetta against anyone you choose, but Jack Slack's striking analysis is really good and gonna be tough to discredit.

You don't understand, boxing matches from the 1930s don't have any relevance to the current day because athletes back then had literal chimpanzee monkeys strapped to their fists. It was a different era, where the heavyweight champ had two wooden legs from losing them both in the war and Mickey Rooney was president.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why would a black man be afraid of a person wearing a bed sheet

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

http://www.ufc.com/media/Fight-Night-Boston--Conor-mcgregor-Pinpoint-Accuracy

Cool Fight Science style thing with McGregor's kicks and stuff. I'm always dubious about how meaningful any of this poo poo is in an actual match, but it's interesting viewing, for sure.

I'm leery even to watch it since it magically appears right before a McGregor card

mewse
May 2, 2006

Decades posted:

Jack Slack is overrated but still cool. It was funny how he assumed Cormier was going to master lateral movement leading up to the Jones fight for no conceivable reason though.

He absolutely didn't assume Cormier would suddenly master lateral movement. The whole article was "if cormier can do this"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Decades posted:

these things devolve into nonsense hypotheticals.

The whole article's premise is hypothetical, intentionally! It's titled "to kill the king" and explains a striking strategy that could stifle the champion's game. When the article we are discussing was posted, I asked the question in the previous thread:

mewse posted:

Have we seen lateral movement out of DC during striking exchanges? Most wrestlers bull forward going for a takedown

I didn't and don't have much knowledge of DC's striking style to know if the gameplan that Jack Slack laid out was feasible for DC, it turns out it wasn't.

You're painting this like Jack Slack wrote the article saying "this is how DC will beat Jon Jones" when he did nothing of the sort.

Elemennop posted:

No, he was saying what any fighter looking to beat Jon Jones should exploit and defend. His article barely mentioned Cormier. He does the same exact thing for every championship fight.

Exactly.

e: Another thing that Jack Slack pointed out was Jones' straight inside leg kick(?? not a kickboxer) that permanently hosed up Rampage's knee, and how to avoid it. I saw Cormier eat it several times during the bout.

mewse fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 15, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Great video. Cowboy talking through the process of getting hyped for a fight had me hyped by the end. He may be the second realest dude in MMA. First being Forrest Griffin of course.

Nominating Pat Barry for this pantheon of scaredy-cats

mewse
May 2, 2006

Please stop realposting because I keep getting tempted to post something probate-worthy

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

mmaparent posts are among my favorites.

My dad doesn't follow MMA at all but trying to start conversation one time he said "did you see GPS fight this weekend?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How do I go about enjoying the UFC 168 GDT again, by the way?
An archives search yields nothing and with the new SA post history thing, I can't monkey-rope my way there.

Here ya go

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ahhhhh, over my head like normal.

Just making sure our friendly neighborhood Bundt is okie dokie.

Let's just say we're glad he got the help he desperately needed, at the time he needed it, and we're happy for him

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

While she's not JDS's ex-wife ugly, if someone said she was a man wearing a wig, I would believe it. Brazil has so many beautiful women, why do the fighters marry the ugly ones?

I guess its just lack of make-up?

What is wrong with you

mewse
May 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

good on bj for not going out on the edgar loss btw

Well really good on BJ for not getting in a mayhem-esque situation with some skank, but instead getting caught inebriated in a hotel room with another man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheCool69 posted:

You can say the same about his doubters. Its been a long time since i've last seen a figter who gets shitted on as much as McGregor. It seems that its 100% sure that if he faced anybody with a bit of Wrestling ability suddenly he is hosed and cant do anything but bend over and take it.

The Notorious European Dennis Siver took him down like 2-3 times.

• Locked thread