Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It'd be cool if DG started selling merch on PWT. I know DGUSA has some stuff but it's pretty limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

How much does Dragon Gate book around business/financials? like, if BxB Hulk is drawing really well as champion would they keep the belt on him until they see stuff starting to drop or do they not care about that stuff with regards to booking? Or is their upper card relatively equal in terms of drawing power so they feel free to move the belt around as story demands?

Short Answer: They don't have to, but they would in the past.

Long Answer:

I wanted to take a couple of days to compose my thoughts before giving this a reply. Since November, I've been looking into CIMA's candidacy into the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame in terms of Japanese "indie" wrestlers and overall legitimacy of the Toryumon system. Funny enough, a lot of what I've been going through (show attendance, booking trends vs other Japanese companies) applies here.

Dragon Gate/Toryumon used to book around financials. The key to those financials were if CIMA was on the top of the card, they'd do well, and if not, then things looks rough. Things started to change during BW v J-III and the Big Six were able to assume the role that CIMA held at the top of the card. It has been different/weird now that CIMA is no longer considered the Dragon Gate Ace. Consider this: CIMA was the true Ace of Dragon Gate/Toryumon since 2000 and finally relinquished it when Shingo ended his epic reign in 2012. That's longer than Tana has been ace in New Japan (and more consistent if you really want to get into it.) Since then, the Big Six inherited the role of being the draws. They attempted to have this fourth generation/Big Six (that's at least how I count it, 1st Gen was VTR-Gun, 2nd Gen was Jimmyz/T2P, 3rd Gen was Toryumon X, 4th Gen is early Dragon Gate trueborns and the Big Six, 5th Gen are Millenials) take control when CIMA had his horrible neck injury in 08 and tried Shingo as new Ace and it just failed. He didn't have the charisma, he got bogged down soon after by the monkey scandal, and he just wasn't ready/never reached the role that he was hinted towards.

Dragon Gate financials seem to be pretty stable nowadays. They are one of three companies that will sell out Korakuen every month, regardless of card or champion. Kobe World sells somewhere between 9300-9650 over the last five years, and that's with an assortment of different Dream Gate champs. Before then, you could see fluctuation, but things always looked good with CIMA headlining. They have a deep roster that will age well and they don't have the problems of looking for new stars that the traditional Japanese Major Feds do. Being completely realistic, I don't know how or where Dragon Gate grows and expands in the future. They don't do the big yearly shows at Sumo Hall or Saitama Super Arena like DDT has and their international interest has dwindled due to the irrelevance of DGUSA. They became #2 in Japan solely due to attrition/the destruction of NOAH/AJPW. I think a good question looking towards 2015 is where Dragon Gate goes from here, or are they happy with their current piece of the pie?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How much of a draw was Magnum TOKYO? I know CIMA was the Ace but there was a good amount of time when the two of them were feuding in Toryumon where they were booked as contemporaries.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

How much of a draw was Magnum TOKYO? I know CIMA was the Ace but there was a good amount of time when the two of them were feuding in Toryumon where they were booked as contemporaries.

It was sort of an early "tecnico" ace in Magnum and "rudo" ace in CIMA that really turned into CIMA being the full ace. One of the biggest moments in early Toryumon was CIMA getting the final win over Magnum and that went straight into Crazy Max v M2K where CIMA moved into the pure Ace role against the invading/obstructioning Mocchy-led M2K.

So Yoshino came back this weekend from his severe tonsillitis to be Shachihoko BOY's Twin Gate partner at CHAMPION GATE. The first show is on the 28th and the second show on the 1st. Both shows are live on NicoNico from Osaka for 1500 yen at https://secure.live.nicovideo.jp/event/dragongate.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It was sort of an early "tecnico" ace in Magnum and "rudo" ace in CIMA that really turned into CIMA being the full ace. One of the biggest moments in early Toryumon was CIMA getting the final win over Magnum and that went straight into Crazy Max v M2K where CIMA moved into the pure Ace role against the invading/obstructioning Mocchy-led M2K.

So Yoshino came back this weekend from his severe tonsillitis to be Shachihoko BOY's Twin Gate partner at CHAMPION GATE. The first show is on the 28th and the second show on the 1st. Both shows are live on NicoNico from Osaka for 1500 yen at https://secure.live.nicovideo.jp/event/dragongate.

That all sounds super fun. Are there any choice matches from those story lines to try and find?

Also the Champion Gate card looks really nice, gonna be super fun.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

That all sounds super fun. Are there any choice matches from those story lines to try and find?

Also the Champion Gate card looks really nice, gonna be super fun.

It's kind of hard to find early toryumon (pre-t2p) stuff on the internet, Though I found a 1999 CIMA v Magnum match. I'm not certain if this one is the feud ending match, however. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x65y0a_cima-vs-magnum-tokyo_sport

Also Yosuke made her 2nd defense of the Owarai Gate a couple of days ago, long may be Maria-chan's reign.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

very fun undercard, great main events, five stars would cry with shachihoko boy and tozawa again.

get hype for shingo's owarai title shot

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

oatgan posted:

very fun undercard, great main events, five stars would cry with shachihoko boy and tozawa again.

get hype for shingo's owarai title shot

Show of the Year so far. I cried.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 1, 2015

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
The going away ceremony for Uhaa Nation was genuinely kinda sad, those dudes seem to really love him

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's the origin of the spot where someone from Mad Blankey powerbombs someone on a bunch of cans? I've seen it at least once in almost all of the past several shows. It looks like it hurts like hell, even if they're empty.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

cima loves cola

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Omg this uhaa farewell is an incredible feels rush. Ganbare, uhaa!!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Want that Monster Express shirt.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
They better let Uhaa keep the Monster Express pose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
And the "Too easy" catchphrase.

They better let him keep the Uhaa Combination too. Gorilla press/Standing Moonsault/Standing SSP is like a hybrid of everything Vince loves and everything wrestlefans love: Big strong muscle man doing strongman things and awesome athletic man doing awesome athletic things.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Just finished up both shows. Champion Gate Nt 2 was the most consistent big show of the year. I wonder how Uhaa's going to do in NXT. He certainly has the athletic prowess to make it, but I wonder if his charisma/mic skills might hold him back.

Eita's been suspiciously exempt from shows. I've heard both discipline reasons and an undisclosed injury as rumors why he's been absent.

ANYWAYS KORAKUEN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! gently caress YEAH 4 WAY SIX MAN WITH NO SCRUBS!

Really those top three matches should be bangers.

1) Yosuke♡Santa Maria/U-T/El Lindaman [MILLENIALS] v K-ness/Gamma/Mondai Ryu [MAD BLANKEY]
2) Kenichiro Arai/Shachihoko BOY [MONSTER EXPRESS] v Super Shisa/"Hollywood" Stalker Ichikawa
3) Kotoka [MILLENIALS] v Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin [JIMMYZ]
4) Ryo "Jimmy" Saito/Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! [JIMMYZ] v CIMA/Don Fujii [MAD BLANKEY]
5) T-Hawk/Flamita [MILLENIALS] v Masaaki Mochizuki/Dragon Kid [DIA.HEARTS]
6) 4 Way 6 Man Tag Team Match: Akira Tozawa/Masato Yoshino/Shingo Takagi [MONSTER EXPRESS] v BxB Hulk/Big R Shimizu/Kzy [DIA.HEARTS] v Jimmy Susumu/Jimmy Kanda/Jimmy Kagetora [JIMMYZ] v YAMATO/Naruki Doi/Cyber Kong [MAD BLANKEY]

LIVE ON NICONICO

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love how they bookended some of the tag spots between shows, like how Kanda whipped the tape into someone's face from halfway across the arena in the first show, and it backfired and whacked him instead in the second.

I also REALLY want to know where I can buy this:
http://p.twpl.jp/show/orig/Feyau

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 3, 2015

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Does the full Blood Warriors/Junction III Loser disbands match exist anywhere, or do we only have the cut down version that showed up on Infinity?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

Does the full Blood Warriors/Junction III Loser disbands match exist anywhere, or do we only have the cut down version that showed up on Infinity?

Given time period, it's from infinity. I got a newer/hq version of it from Jae during the sale so I'll check it later to see if it's the Infinity or another release.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I love how they bookended some of the tag spots between shows, like how Kanda whipped the tape into someone's face from halfway across the arena in the first show, and it backfired and whacked him instead in the second.

I also REALLY want to know where I can buy this:
http://p.twpl.jp/show/orig/Feyau

Agreed on the shirt.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Given time period, it's from infinity. I got a newer/hq version of it from Jae during the sale so I'll check it later to see if it's the Infinity or another release.

I'm going through shows from this period and I found the match on Infinity 250, but it's a cut down version and from reading the comments on the video the full match is like 70 minutes long or something like that, and I'd like to see the full thing rather than the cut down 40 minute version on Infinity.

Also it's super weird seeing heel Tozawa and a face Yamato with no hair.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Dragon Gate shirt listings: http://shop.dg-pro.jp/products/list.php?category_id=9

As for how to get them, ask Jae, he'll probably help out.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

I'm going through shows from this period and I found the match on Infinity 250, but it's a cut down version and from reading the comments on the video the full match is like 70 minutes long or something like that, and I'd like to see the full thing rather than the cut down 40 minute version on Infinity.

Also it's super weird seeing heel Tozawa and a face Yamato with no hair.

no dice. the one I have is from 250. unless it's on a "2012 season" dvd, that's probably the only version that exists. i'm so glad we get complete live korakuens (like tonight) now on.

ChampRamp posted:

Dragon Gate shirt listings: http://shop.dg-pro.jp/products/list.php?category_id=9

As for how to get them, ask Jae, he'll probably help out.

yeah i'd ask jae. he has made mentions before about being willing to help out plus he's a real good dude.

and if you don't want a yamato licensed food coordinator kitchen apron then you are loving goofing.

http://shop.dg-pro.jp/products/list.php?category_id=83

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

that match is only in cut form

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
anyone feeling like crying again? jae uploaded pac's graduation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqTLM-_mE1E

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just saw the Uhaa goodbye. Wow.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get the whole exotico thing, but sometimes I can't tell how they're playing Yosuke♡Santa Maria. It's somewhere in a huge grey area between jokes about gay panic and actual progressive trans recognition, depending on the show. I guess the tonal shifts can just be written off as "Dragon Gate is alternately serious and silly as hell" like everything else?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 11, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I get the whole exotico thing, but sometimes I can't tell how they're playing Yosuke♡Santa Maria. It's somewhere in a huge grey area between jokes about gay panic and actual progressive trans recognition, depending on the show. I guess the tonal shifts can just be written off as "Dragon Gate is alternately serious and silly as hell" like everything else?

I'd say he's a hell of a lot more progressive than Danshoku Dino

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They could do a lot worse, yeah.

I'm really intrigued by where the whole CIMA/Doi thing is going. It's a nice slow burn, and I have no idea who he joins if Mad Blankey boots him out.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Yosuke♡Santa Maria is extremely awesome and I like him/her a lot

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Some of the wrestlers are grossed out when she kisses them, but I'd be all for it

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

They could do a lot worse, yeah.

I'm really intrigued by where the whole CIMA/Doi thing is going. It's a nice slow burn, and I have no idea who he joins if Mad Blankey boots him out.

I could CIMA taking over Mad Blankey himself to prove that he's still the best/most powerful guy in DG.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

dg treats these issues with more respect and open mind than all the other companies. anthony w mori and ryo saito had a pretty open yaoi storyline for several years.

maria-chan is interesting since there is a pretty prominent super-fan at korauken shows that cross dresses/might be trans and they used to no-show millenials matches when maria was involved. in recent months, i've noticed them back in their normal seat so i guess they don't view it as offensive anymore. or that it was during the gamma/maria love feud and they didn't want to watch that. i dunno.

Dimebags Brain posted:

I could CIMA taking over Mad Blankey himself to prove that he's still the best/most powerful guy in DG.

doi is soooooo going into the dead or alive cage apuestas with cima and t-hawk. i can't see doi turning face because he makes no goshdarn sense joining mx, which he'd have to do because he has to be with yoshi if he's face.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

doi is soooooo going into the dead or alive cage apuestas with cima and t-hawk. i can't see doi turning face because he makes no goshdarn sense joining mx, which he'd have to do because he has to be with yoshi if he's face.

Well yeah, which is why he'll lose his name and join the Jimmyz.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The shelf life of DG factions isn't exactly long, and MB has what, 9 people in it now? I could see a divide coming if the two challenge each other for the rights to the name.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dimebags Brain posted:

Well yeah, which is why he'll lose his name and join the Jimmyz.

Please let this happen

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

The shelf life of DG factions isn't exactly long, and MB has what, 9 people in it now? I could see a divide coming if the two challenge each other for the rights to the name.

Both MB and Jimmyz had their 3 year anniversary this month, which is INSANE length DG wise. The only ones that existed longer were Crazy Max, Italian Connection and Tozawa-juku. I have a feeling that Nobuhiko and Tatsuki will sometime heed the warnings of Middle School Sancho Saito and join Susumu and his friends in an evolution of Jimmyz/Waku Waku Fujii Land. Which is a shame because I feel like Fujii has reinvented himself as Punch Tominaga's cranky uncle.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Well yeah, you know the zombie-bros-4-lyfe aren't splitting up. It looks more like YAMATO, Kong, and maybe Kimata are on Doi's side since they keep defending him or pulling CIMA off him, and I'd assume Gamma & K-Ness would go with the rest of the zombies. I feel like there are too many Jimmyz to have them all join a mega-stable though, so maybe Saito leaves the rest? I really don't know, and an impending stable shakeup is getting me way more interested in the direction of several midcarders than I would otherwise.

I had to look up Kinpachi-sensei to get the reference, though it was still funny without it. But now all I want is Saito yelling at an overhead camera while the rest of Jimmyz toss him up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Both MB and Jimmyz had their 3 year anniversary this month, which is INSANE length DG wise. The only ones that existed longer were Crazy Max, Italian Connection and Tozawa-juku. I have a feeling that Nobuhiko and Tatsuki will sometime heed the warnings of Middle School Sancho Saito and join Susumu and his friends in an evolution of Jimmyz/Waku Waku Fujii Land. Which is a shame because I feel like Fujii has reinvented himself as Punch Tominaga's cranky uncle.

These names are some zany poo poo and I love it.

• Locked thread