Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just watched Final Gate 2014. Goddamn, the ending of the main event was brutal. BxB Hulk kicks the gently caress out of Takagi's head and he just won't stay down. Really fun undercard too. I haven't seen a lot of recent DG but I was a big Toryumon and early DG fan about 10 years ago, and it's nice to see a lot of them have still got it. CIMA hasn't lost a step and Dragon Kid surprisingly hasn't slowed down much.

K-Ness is Darkness Dragon, right? And is Magnum TOKYO still wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I read Hulk had a separated shoulder from the Final Gate main. Was it just not that bad then?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Tozawa has the smoothest voice. When he was on commentary for the main event at Final Gate, he just chimed in every few minutes with "Mmmmm..."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think the Shotput Slam might be my favorite variation of a chokeslam ever. poo poo looks brutal, especially on a smaller guy.

What's up with Cyber Kong always yelling "YOU KNOW"?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 12, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, the February Korakuen show was great.

I'm really enjoying Monster Express lately, and Kzy is a surprisingly good fit in Dia.Hearts so far.

Why doesn't IHeartDG mention Infinity shows in their news feed? Or am I just not seeing it?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 13, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ah, ok. I usually follow the schedule on Cagematch too but that doesn't seem to specify it either.

Heads up for those who saw the promo segment about it last month, the new Infinity is where Hulk and Takagi do the one-night-only teamup they were talking about on the January 18th show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Who takes the Dream Gate from BxB Hulk at this point? Tozawa, Takagi and Susumu have each failed in the most recent high profile attempts, and I don't see Uhaa taking it since he's just finishing up his contract dates before apparently heading off to NXT. Dia.Hearts is enjoying their "all the gold" thing lately, but once that dissolves do they just put it back on YAMATO?

And where's Yoshino been since Final Gate?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If it has anything to do with merchandise, clearly they need to start selling Cyber Kong Ab Sharpie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How much of a draw was Magnum TOKYO? I know CIMA was the Ace but there was a good amount of time when the two of them were feuding in Toryumon where they were booked as contemporaries.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's the origin of the spot where someone from Mad Blankey powerbombs someone on a bunch of cans? I've seen it at least once in almost all of the past several shows. It looks like it hurts like hell, even if they're empty.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
And the "Too easy" catchphrase.

They better let him keep the Uhaa Combination too. Gorilla press/Standing Moonsault/Standing SSP is like a hybrid of everything Vince loves and everything wrestlefans love: Big strong muscle man doing strongman things and awesome athletic man doing awesome athletic things.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love how they bookended some of the tag spots between shows, like how Kanda whipped the tape into someone's face from halfway across the arena in the first show, and it backfired and whacked him instead in the second.

I also REALLY want to know where I can buy this:
http://p.twpl.jp/show/orig/Feyau

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 3, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get the whole exotico thing, but sometimes I can't tell how they're playing Yosuke♡Santa Maria. It's somewhere in a huge grey area between jokes about gay panic and actual progressive trans recognition, depending on the show. I guess the tonal shifts can just be written off as "Dragon Gate is alternately serious and silly as hell" like everything else?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 11, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They could do a lot worse, yeah.

I'm really intrigued by where the whole CIMA/Doi thing is going. It's a nice slow burn, and I have no idea who he joins if Mad Blankey boots him out.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The shelf life of DG factions isn't exactly long, and MB has what, 9 people in it now? I could see a divide coming if the two challenge each other for the rights to the name.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Well yeah, you know the zombie-bros-4-lyfe aren't splitting up. It looks more like YAMATO, Kong, and maybe Kimata are on Doi's side since they keep defending him or pulling CIMA off him, and I'd assume Gamma & K-Ness would go with the rest of the zombies. I feel like there are too many Jimmyz to have them all join a mega-stable though, so maybe Saito leaves the rest? I really don't know, and an impending stable shakeup is getting me way more interested in the direction of several midcarders than I would otherwise.

I had to look up Kinpachi-sensei to get the reference, though it was still funny without it. But now all I want is Saito yelling at an overhead camera while the rest of Jimmyz toss him up in the air.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NickRoweFillea posted:

These names are some zany poo poo and I love it.

I recently had to explain Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin to somebody.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

My girlfriend has recently got into Wrestling and specifically Puro and she wanted to see my favorite match of the last few years (Yoshino's Dream Gate defense against Mocchy from last year). I realized when showing it to her how intricate stories were in Dragon Gate because it took longer than the actual match to explain the storylines leading up to it.

I think I'm going to give it a bit before I start showing her Jimmyz stuff.

That's exactly it. As weird and long and ridiculous as it is, the name actually makes total sense, and I didn't realize how much until I had to tell someone about it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want T-Hawk to lose his hair in the cage because it looks exactly like Kotoka's and that irrationally bothers me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, that match ruled.

Was the 3/29 show televised? I'd love to see that Hulk/Flamita match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, bit of an odd choice, but he is a funny dude so that's cool.

Apparently Jimmyz are the new Triangle Gate champs too, which I didn't see coming. Spoilering that in case it gets posted later.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm surprised they didn't put Doi in there. They're really letting his tension with CIMA breathe for a while.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In general I just find Cyber Kong more comical than anything. I can't look at him without thinking of the Strong Bad Ab-Abber.

It's weird though because in a couple shows earlier in the year I could've sworn they were building toward Kong/Shimizu. Every time they'd tag in and face off in a multi-man tag match it was that sort of big hoss showdown moment.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm going to be so confused.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kind of weird that CIMA/Doi is a first round match, but it makes sense if they're only fighting because they were seeded that way, then they can build to a grudge match later.

There's some potential for great stuff in there, like Tozawa/Takagi, and if Hulk beats Saito (likely) I'm cool with whichever of those two he faces in the next round.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jimmyz wouldn't take all that long to explain. "Jimi" is an insult that means plain/boring, so Jimmy is an ironic nickname for all the haters. Saito, Susumu, and Kagetora just kind of wedged Jimmy into their names or changed them outright. Horiguchi started getting H-A-G-E (bald) chants so when he joined Jimmyz he called himself H.A.Gee.Mee instead. Tanizaki got injured, had an impostor (T-Hawk) usurp his name, lost a fight to get it back and was forced to rename himself because he "cried like a dolphin" about it, then won his name back but kept the old one too because it got him more popularity.

Also about the Millennials: They hate anyone born before 1990, Flamita's the only actual Mexican despite their logo/theme, and Yosuke is portraying an exótico character.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Haven't had time to watch this yet but no big surprise that Kong is still a bust in singles. The only singles match I want to see him in is with Big R Shimizu and otherwise he can stick to multi-man tags because he works well as a utility hoss.

Tozawa should clean sweep the singles titles. Keeping the Brave and Owarai belts on him and then letting him come out as a triple crown winner would be amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

T-Hawk will do what Hulk was too weak to do and destroy Mad Blankey.

Mad Blankey is going to destroy Mad Blankey.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I could really see an alliance between Hulk+Akira/T-Hawk/CIMA to put them down for good. All four have great reasons to want to end the group and it'd be fun to do a unit leaders deal again.

Well you're at least half right so far. Plus Eita once he's back.

I'm glad we're getting a stable shakeup of sorts.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They've really gone in a couple unexpected directions lately. I figured Doi would come out of the feud with CIMA as a face, but the cage gave CIMA a ton of sympathy heat. I'm also a little surprised K-Ness is sticking with Mad Blankey and not the Zombies. T-Hawk aligning with CIMA is also about the last alliance I expected. These aren't unwelcome changes, mind you, I just didn't see them coming.

I'm wondering if they're starting to brew tension with Tozawa and Takagi too. They were somewhat at odds in the cage match because of the delegates, and now they have a first round tournament match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh dude please tell me that Hulk/Tozawa match is televised. :neckbeard:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's the story with Team Veteran being against Mad Blankey in the opening trios? I read the iheartDG synopsis but I couldn't tell whether they're a permanent faction now or if it's just for this show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, I got the part about K-ness working them, I just wasn't sure if CIMA/Fujii/Gamma had all officially reformed after Doi kicked them out, or if it was unofficial and they were just temporarily using the old colors.

That 8-man is going to be fun as hell. I wonder if Saito will to wrestle the whole match as Saito Sensei. It seems like they might be prepping him to defect from Jimmyz if he keeps teaming with the Veterans.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Stalker Ichikawa... won a match...? :stare:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a reason there haven't been any title matches for any belt at all since Dead or Alive? I know King of Gate kind of derails focus on belts in favor of the tournament, but it feels odd to have nothing defended on any card for over a month.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why did Flamita take off? Cagematch says he's only done 3 matches in minor Mexican promotions since last month. Does AAA want him or is this a temporary excursion sort of thing? He'd be perfect for LU.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You think he'll get a title shot?

I'd assume he just goes back to MX.

I wonder if Mundo would ever come to DG for a stint.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Regarding gaijin talk, from the June 3rd Korakuen show:

iheartdg posted:

CIMA talked about all the various friends that he & Tozawa made while on their various overseas excursions. He recently heard from two of them who wanted to return to the DRAGON GATE ring. He will bring them next month, but is keeping their identities a secret until then.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dammit NQQ I had poo poo to do today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Akira Tozawa seriously has the best screams of pain I've ever heard from any wrestler and yes I'm counting Show getting crotched.

• Locked thread