Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
So all the shopkeepers die at the end? Compare to this, Samus has the decency to rescue other creatures In Super Metroid before the planet goes boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hey, the final boss is Mr. Jip. Who knew?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Oh I forgot to post this with the update. The final video will be on sunday like always, but it will be a stream around 2-3 PM EST. I'll be firing up the TGL mode and just seeing how far I can get, since its no actual new content just a different way to go about the game. A recording of the stream will be put up in the thread later for those who miss it. I'll post the stream information in the thread around that time.

Because there's nothing in the game that tells you this, and it's not apparent unless you spend some time actively testing, I will tell you this: the powerups you get in TGL mode are tied to your score.

Good luck!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The mistranslation was just on the 'shoot into the corridor' message, as far as I can tell you can shoot whatever you like for the corridor 10 seal.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So why does the laser suck so bad? Not in a gameplay sense, in the game developers one, did they accidentally forget to scale up it's damage? Did they just not realize it was trash?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Captain Bravo posted:

So why does the laser suck so bad? Not in a gameplay sense, in the game developers one, did they accidentally forget to scale up it's damage? Did they just not realize it was trash?

Going to guess, in the same way like with the Wave Beam and Multi-Shot, it was just bad and they didn't realize it.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Just a small update. Something has come up and I need to postpone the stream to Thursday. It will most likely be around 9 pm est on that day though.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Welp here's a triple post but, its time. Join me at http://www.hitbox.tv/WanderingNewbie as we see how far I can get in The Guardian Legends bonus mode.

Streams already over, sorry those who missed it. I'll be posting a chopped up video of the stream in a day or so.

TheWanderingNewbie fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 13, 2015

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Well here it is the final update. Thank you to everyone who posted in thread I really appreciate your input. Special thanks to Olesh who broke down a lot of the weird stuff from the game. Sorry it took so long to get this final video up, I've had a very busy couple of weeks.

TGL - The Extra Mode

A couple things I looked up after the video. In TGL mode the game rewards bonuses based one the points you earn BEFORE bosses. This is why my points were so different after Area 0. Also you can earn the 30k life bonus over and over and reach the games max of 42 life which is pretty insane to get during normal play.

If Olesh has anything else to add I'll let him but I think its time to close the books on The Guardian Legend. Thank you for watching.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Thanks for doing an LP of one of my favorite games from my childhood. Now if you could just do Air Fortress as well. :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
thanks for a great lp of an underrated game I know I missed in my childhood.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Thanks for the Lp of this game. My dad and I beat it once when I was a kid, but when I went back to try to do the last level by myself, we lost the password. It's cool to see other people enjoyed this game, since I think I was the only one of my friend who ever heard of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is actually a sort-of-sequel to a much earlier game called Zanac, made for a different company but by some of the same developers from Irem. The green octopus things going away when you ran over them was actually similar to how an enemy worked in Zanac, slow movement speed and bullet sponge and gradual chasing and all.

There was just no equivalent to the Enemy Eraser in Zanac, so you had to find that out the hard way. I think the Guardian Legend enemies are kind of Easter eggs for people who played Zanac.

Also, so as not to double post, thanks for taking on the game and your valiant but doomed effort at TGL mode.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 28, 2015

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Glazius posted:

This is actually a sort-of-sequel to a much earlier game called Zanac, made for a different company but by some of the same developers from Irem. The green octopus things going away when you ran over them was actually similar to how an enemy worked in Zanac, slow movement speed and bullet sponge and gradual chasing and all.

There was just no equivalent to the Enemy Eraser in Zanac, so you had to find that out the hard way. I think the Guardian Legend enemies are kind of Easter eggs for people who played Zanac.

Also, so as not to double post, thanks for taking on the game and your valiant but doomed effort at TGL mode.

Both games were done by Compile, IIRC, and share some assets, most notably some sounds and the projectiles enemies fire at you. Also the multi-direction bullets were a lot more useful in Zanac, which is a pretty neat game in its own right.

And I don't think I've ever gotten any farther in TGL mode, though I've beaten the regular game without dying.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
I hate doing this but this is just a tiny bump to stop the thread from falling into the archives so that baldurk can archive it. It's my fault I had forgotten to send baldurk a message until a week or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

I hate doing this but this is just a tiny bump to stop the thread from falling into the archives so that baldurk can archive it. It's my fault I had forgotten to send baldurk a message until a week or two ago.

Archived threads haven't been removed from the active forums in about a year due to issues with the archives script.

• Locked thread