Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Ha ha, good to see this crop up finally.

I have many *words* about this game for *happy campers*, but for the most part you don't need to know any of the underlying mechanics to do well. TheWanderingNewbie might talk about them at a later time, so I won't right now. This is a surprisingly forgiving game, even though you can die incredibly quickly. Sadly, most of my NES stuff didn't make the move to the new house so I can't pull out the manual - luckily, people on the internet archive everything so it can be found here.

The manual contains spoilers for upcoming bosses, but I can reveal that the fish boss is named Fleepa, and the loving irritating green eyeball is Optomom. Depending on how pedantic you feel, it also provides names for all of the subweapons. :colbert:

Power shot indeed grumble mutter grumble.

Anyways, game is good. Also has :krad: music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

I'll try and keep this mostly supplemental - things like the boss and subweapon names are in the manual, which I already linked, but I'll channel my inner :goonsay: and touch on the Gun powerup TheWanderingNewbie got in the latest video.

The Gun powerup, perhaps unsurprisingly, increases your attack power. Each shot goes from dealing 1 damage to 2 damage - this halves the number of shots needed to kill enemies, which is significant early on. Something that's not immediately apparent, though, is that your subweapons also increase in attack power with the Gun powerup. You start at 1 Gun, and Newbie is currently at 2 Guns.

Most subweapons do the same damage as your gun - they're based on your attack rating. The upgraded multibullets Newbie was showing off at the end of the video, for example, do the same damage whether or not he's upgraded them - the damage they deal is purely based on his current attack power. Upgrading them, however, makes the bullet bigger, faster, and cost more blue chips, so it's generally worthwhile. This is true for most of the subweapons you upgrade as well - they go up in speed, size, and cost, while their damage remains the same as your gun stat. The laser saber (and the double saber), however, do damage based on your attack power and do additional damage when they're upgraded - they're one of the exceptions.

As for the other exceptions... I said most subweapons before - the grenade, by comparison, does a fixed 16 damage per shot no matter what your attack power is. The spin shot, quick wave, fireball, and the piercing laser also all do fixed amounts of damage, and their damage goes up when you upgrade them.

The grenade may seem like a really good subweapon, and it is - but you might be wondering why Newbie isn't using them on bosses. Well, unfortunately, the answer to that is that TGL caps the amount of damage a boss can receive per hit - any attack that would deal more than 5 damage to a boss is instead reduced to 5 damage. So each grenade would only do 5 damage, making grenades not really a good option vs bosses. It absolutely tears up regular enemies, though!

Also, as a fun side benefit, you can actually damage enemies by running into them - any time you take contact damage from an enemy, the enemy takes contact damage from you equivalent to a shot from your gun (except bosses, who are jerks and immune to your touch of death). It's not really a good idea as a primary means of attack, but sometimes you'll see enemies die when they run into Newbie and that's why.

Something that's not really obvious about the multibullets, either, is that they can be fired in all 8 directions, even during shooter segments. They're intended to be sort of your default subweapon, because you can fire subweapons even while firing your regular gun.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 9, 2015

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Ofecks posted:

With a subweapon equipped, you can shoot 3 normal shots at a time. Rather, you can have 3 on-screen at once. Take off the subweapon, however ("No use"), you can do 4. As a kid I mostly just stuck with the main gun and didn't use subweapons until the later levels; I learned that having no weapon equipped was optimal.

The corridor 2 crawdad boss (I forget its name) can be cheesed by staying in the center of the screen and using the fireball weapon without moving.

It's generally not worth trading the utility of subweapons for the extra shot on screen unless you don't have the chips for subweapons in the first place. The game is also pretty good about making sure that you get regular refills, so you're expected to use your subweapons pretty regularly both in the corridors and in the labyrinth. Especially the grenade - finding a screen with spiders on it, hanging around for a few seconds, and then tossing a few grenades into the pile is a great way to get a bunch of drops to restore HP/chips quickly.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Aaand here's where the game has expected you to figure out or intuit certain aspects of the mechanics. If I have the time I might record a video to show it off, but overall that boss is incredibly punishing - remember that Newbie has just gotten TWO defensive upgrades, practically back to back - and those seaweed strings it spits out do a crapload of damage.

The fireball will eat shots, including the seaweed shots so long as they've been released from the boss.

The fight gets a _lot_ easier if you figure out that the fireball clears those out and you don't let yourself get pinned down.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Wow, that boss was a chump, I have no idea why they thought that horrible eye monster so early on was a good idea. Your attempts at it were pretty similar to my own!

Did you skip buying a permanent health upgrade in the shop? :psyduck:

Yes. It's really not a big deal. It was either give up a max HP up or miss out on a possible subweapon upgrade, since when you buy an item from a shop the other items disappear forever. It's impractical to hit max HP anyways, as it requires an impractical amount of farming your score for HP ups. There's a bug that'll allow you to purchase multiple items from a single shop, but it requires you to have enough chips on hand to collectively purchase the items you want and that's not really possible here*.
* I'm pretty sure you don't actually have to buy anything from the shop to get the Blue Lander to unseal it, meaning you can come back later with more chips and do it then.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Ofecks posted:

You were correct in your assumption, Newbie. Your character does move faster once you acquire your 5th shield upgrade.

Walking into (vertical) walls is actually a thing! You can also move through single-line vertical red pyramids which is pretty useful in some places. I was able to consistently do it by spamming the dpad in the general direction of the wall and firing the main gun. No idea what causes it, maybe Olesh can explain?

It's not an uncommon thing in games of the era. I don't know exactly why it happens but it's probably something along the same vein as why if you jump into a wall just perfectly and time your jump just right, you can jump off the wall in the original super mario bros - technically for one frame you're in the wall and standing on a block so the game lets you jump again. This is probably something to do with the way the game handles clipping into a wall, which is why it only works when moving diagonally against certain types of walls.

Sadly, even though the fireball (and some of the other subweapons, don't recall which) totally does get rid of the seaweed and it happens in the video, red Optomom is the worst because his strands are so long before they detach that there's almost zero opportunity to clear them out.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

It was really hard. Like Nintendo hard, hard.

It is one of my most beloved games along with Actraiser (the first one) because it merges two styles of games and has one influence the other, which is so beautiful and not seen a lot, even today. And if they do have it, it usually isn't very satisfactory.

Really the only part of the game that's hard is the _very_ early part, before you really get any upgrades.

Right now Newbie is almost maxed on power - he has one more GUN upgrade possible (it maxes at 4 GUN) and most of his subweapons are upgraded. As long you're using subweapons pretty liberally, there's not a whole lot in the game that's all that threatening. Hell, the game gives you the freaking enemy eraser relatively early and you can get ammo for it as a random drop from enemies - maxing out ammo for it only takes a couple of minutes if you're willing to go in and out of one of the rooms with multiplying enemies to farm drops.

As far as the forward wave beam goes, it's pretty much the worst subweapon because it does the same thing as the multi bullets except it's only forward and it has a fixed damage instead of scaling based on your attack power. Fully maxed out it does 1 more damage than the multi-bullets when your attack power is maxed, but I always find either the fireball, the spin shot, or the shield to be more useful.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Velius posted:

I haven't watched the last video yet, no wifi here, but one password (tgl?) let's you do only the flying segments, with you getting a subset of the exploration segment rewards every corridor. It is much, much harder since you can't pickup everything accessible before starting the especially hard corridors.

Velius posted:

I haven't watched the last video yet, no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,
How did you even post if you didn't have access to the internet? :iiam:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Depending on the day (about 50/50) I'm either ironically amused or peevishly irritated by people who post in response to a video without actually bothering to watch the video in question, especially when the video itself answers the question they are posting about.

On the other hand, that gets a lot closer to 100% amused when people pause the video to post about something which is answered later on in the video - so much so that I now make a point of intentionally loving with people who do that because it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Oh I forgot to post this with the update. The final video will be on sunday like always, but it will be a stream around 2-3 PM EST. I'll be firing up the TGL mode and just seeing how far I can get, since its no actual new content just a different way to go about the game. A recording of the stream will be put up in the thread later for those who miss it. I'll post the stream information in the thread around that time.

Because there's nothing in the game that tells you this, and it's not apparent unless you spend some time actively testing, I will tell you this: the powerups you get in TGL mode are tied to your score.

Good luck!

• Locked thread