Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Full medals just look like a banana republic dictator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Whoever set up this photo op, they deserve a goddamn medal:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Equine Don posted:

These cost $300 :psyduck:
One of my cousins got Cabelas hunting action figures for Christmas one year. That almost seems worse.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

These posts from the China thread are p. Good

Blistex posted:

That might have been one of my effortposts on the experience of an average PLA soldier (distant cousin of my wife). He was in the PLA for the minimum amount of time once he realized that they were in no way making him a soldier, and instead just making him a "parade clown" (his words).

Some stuff from his PLA experience:

- Most people have to pay to join up, like everything in China, if you can make money, do it.
- Free Recruiting only happens in certain areas where they need to shore up their garrisons to keep the locals in line and show them that people other than Han Chinese are oppressing them.
- There are a lot of almost literal retards in the Jr. Officer corps. Rich coal bosses realize that their retard/fuckup son can't even maintain a phoney job in their company, so "off to Army Mother".
- Training accidents in the 80's/90's used to be hilariously bad and resulted in a lot of expensive pensions/payouts to families, so now training is almost under lab conditions.
- Unless you are special forces, or in a special unit, you are not going to be firing more than a full magazine a year. (generals who save money get promoted, "so tell your men to stop wasting bullets!")
- He doubted that any of those missiles on the trucks they drive through the Beijing parades are even real. They look like the actual casings, but when you knock on them they sound hollow.
- Those trucks, APC's and other vehicles you see at the Beijing military parade only drive from storage, to parade practice, during the parade, then back to storage.
- 90% of the interactions they have with their vehicles are parade related. (Yearly oil change before the parade, repainting, parade, back to storage).
- Tankers do 90% of their tank driving on and off of Train cars. 90% of their training is moving their tanks to other parts of the country as fast as possible, not actual combat.
- Tankers do not train multiple positions in their tanks. You lose the driver/gunner? Looks like you're out of the fight. He said everyone in the military has a specific job, and nothing but that, very rigid.
- During the biannual small arms training you can expect to fire off ~15 rounds from your small arm, and throw one grenade (they have a lot of grenades that are expiring so it is a good way to use them).
- During your rifle training, you are only given three rounds at a time (5 times) and there are 4 instructors per shooter, usually only 4-5 shooters active on a range made for 50 at a time. (avoid accidents).
- Parades are a loving nightmare, and you train a whole 1/4 year if you are selected. (People are selected based on height, and uniform appearances, apparently leg length is very important for marching).
- Navy and Air Force servicemen who do sail/fly get a shitload of training (comparatively), but probably nowhere near US levels.
- With the exception of military busywork training (cleaning, making bed, marching, digging foxholes) a lot of the training is based on civilian pacification and rapid in-country mobilization.

"When you see your truck, you know you're going to have a bad day".

The only "action" he saw was when they had to get up at 12:00am, get dressed, and hop in the back of the truck for a 6 hours drive to Shenyang to lock arms and make a human ring around the embassies because of the "Ant drink protest" that they were expecting. Link to story here. I was actually there for the "protest" which I didn't know about until after it wall all over. The government heard there was going to a protest, showed up early in the morning, made a shitload of human walls around embassies, government buildings, and other likely places and essentially stopped the protest before it even started. If there is one thing their military can do, it is mobilize their soldiers fast to keep people in line.

Bonus picture of the Great-Grandson of China's greatest General (Mao)

Blistex posted:

Not sure, he was posted in Liaoning province, which is North-East China. I'd assume that Career soldiers who show some ability are probably given much more training and stationed in areas where their abilities are needed. Also, China doesn't like it when their soldiers shoot people, they usually have mercs do it, or if soldiers do shoot people and it's not a blatantly obvious case of self-defence the soldier invariably ends up being "a temporary worker" who is removed from his position and punished (not).

Regarding Parade Vehicles: (the bulk of his knowledge of the PLA)

These (that he knows of) have never been out on exercises, and he has never met a crewmember who has ever fired the main gun.

He doesn't think these things can actually fire TOW missiles, and they are just for show.

He's 99% sure these missiles are fake as they are bolted to their cradles and sound hollow (I'm wondering if they are just tubes that hold the missiles are are empty for the parade).

These he is not sure about since nobody is allowed near them except their drivers.

The tankers who drive these wonder if the angular "armour" is really just covering regular cast turrets.

When we were looking at these (similar) photos back in 2008 I had to use GLadder with Firefox as GIS would lock up after the first three or four pictures due to the Great Firewall of China.

Blistex posted:

There appears to be a certain "cute/pretty threshold" one had to meet to be in the Chinese special Forces.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 3, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes no no no no no

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Full medals just look like a huge pain in the rear end to set up and wear.

There are a lot of services that will provide/mount them for you but for real like three rows costs near $100. I can't imagine how much he pays for that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bob A Feet posted:

There are a lot of services that will provide/mount them for you but for real like three rows costs near $100. I can't imagine how much he pays for that.

Lmao if u think the sgmajmarcorusausausa pays for poo poo. He's probably the only enlisted marine who gets the correct clothing allowance, too.

Also marine abbreviations are dumb

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

waitwhatno posted:

chinese people are compulsive street shitters and their university graduates can't read or write, yet they still made 99% of the stuff in your room

just image what these people can do once they have better control of their butt muscles

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASzBAOzRaBw

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
http://i.imgur.com/JXBzPPT.gif

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 3, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I want this bad.

I like how the MCPO of the CG looks pretty chill in that picture.

Also Hardcore History blueprint for armageddon part V is out, listen to it you fuckers.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ElMaligno posted:

I want this bad.

Only because you haven't met anyone at or been involved with MSRT in any way.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=733165576771589

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That's so adorable. They think they're soldiers. :3:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtJuMq8sz_Q

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
and here I was thinking the swimcalls we had on my boat were cool

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nice sausage fest.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

Only because you haven't met anyone at or been involved with MSRT in any way.

And hopefully i never will.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Equine Don posted:

The best part is the blue barrel. Its a replica of a a LARPing airsofter, that is amazing.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 4, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

iceslice posted:

The best part is the blue barrel. That is amazing.

Isn't that a sim round thing?

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Yes, its a sim round. We use two different setups for training. The M4 has a bolt replacement that will shoot sims with no other changes. Its good in the house because the rounds are pretty accurate, and the rounds are cheaper then the other ones. The other ones come in colors, and require a total upper replacement. These ones you can shoot at each other, and hurt when you get hit in the face repeatedly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jesus Christ, you can see where the cinderblock things are broken already. This couldn't be more choreographed if George loving Lucas directed it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Equine Don posted:

Who are these high speed Coast Guard operators?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Why, those are the guys who go in open general, now sign right here...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A cursory google proves that they're Coast Guard Seal-like bros.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Godholio posted:

Jesus Christ, you can see where the cinderblock things are broken already. This couldn't be more choreographed if George loving Lucas directed it.

why do non western militaries go in for all this worthless showy chopsocky horseshit? is it a recruiting tool like mcmap or army combatives?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

why do non western militaries go in for all this worthless showy chopsocky horseshit? is it a recruiting tool like mcmap or army combatives?

Imagine if the United States stood up a Victory Day parade. Half this country would go loving apeshit.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Imagine if the United States stood up a Victory Day parade. Half this country would go loving apeshit.

less time spent goosestepping around like a tool is more time for hazing if you ask me :getin:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd love to have been the creative director who got that poo poo OK'ed by the USMC.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

holocaust bloopers posted:

A cursory google proves that they're Coast Guard Seal-like bros.

They also have dogges

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tell Pixar to pack it in, they'll never beat this quality.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

That would be a sweet assignment.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vice manages to do some cool stuff on occasion and this old naked Japanese island hermit is cool as gently caress.

Naked Island Hermit Dude

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Madurai posted:

Whoever set up this photo op, they deserve a goddamn medal:

How has this not been commented on yet, :circlefap: loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

lol, even doll spergs have hipsters.

"DEVGRU kits are so over. I'm into some more obscure doll clothes. They're from the Coast Guard. You've probably never heard of them." :smuggo:

• Locked thread