Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

did he live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

They might be integral silencers. They don't look screwed on I think its the whole barrel

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah I mean they have white gloves mixed with camoflauge

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

brake cleaner owns loving keep your m16 slightly wet with oil so all the carbon sticks to that then you hose it out with brake cleaner when you're done.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can you imagine being the boot that had to muck around in georgia swamp land looking for a loving bomb

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

shooting your AKs up in the air for a wedding celebration is a terrible idea haha

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

Needs more bus exploding suicide boom sticks.

is there a story about that incident?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Even the High Power is a case of procurement stupidity: the French looked at it and others, then said, "nah," and used it to make improvements to one of their own goofy-rear end guns instead.

The french always have the weirdest poo poo. Do they still use that stupid bullpup?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'd love to read the medical report/autopsy on that guy. Did we ever get confirmation if he died? I mean he either died or is making GBS threads into a plastic bag strapped to his wheelchair for the rest of his life.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Look I'll rock Nebraska Thunderfuck, it's better than a misspelled phase from a tool song that I thought was cool when I was 18

so yes feel free to change my name to Nebraska Thunderfuck

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 8, 2015

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0Co4kbRZo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I regret not stealing an opsec purple dragon poster

PookBear fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 16, 2015

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mods can you give me this as my avatar for my birthday

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I had to sit in an amtrak once and it broke down while we were crossing some body of water.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Riding an amtrak into a body of water is right up there with jumping out of a perfectly functional airplane on the list of things I'd never, ever loving do.

I kept waiting for it to turn into a one way submarine ride.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I had a thought the other night to build a rifle, chambered in 30x173mm...

...And then I sobered up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device
Examples of destructive devices include firearms with a bore over one half of an inch.

I guess its legal as long as you make it muzzle loading though.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I kind of want all the crazy militia types to start making legal muzzle loaded kinetic field guns

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

haha

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Most (fixed-wing) CAS these days is done with some flavor of PGM, so I don't imagine the F-35 will be any worse at it than any other strike fighter, at least once they get the targeting pod figured out. Especially if they decide "gently caress LO" and load it up with hardpoints. It's a ludicrously expensive and overdesigned asset for that kind of mission, but c'est la multirole.

I do like to point to the Super Tucano as the "next-gen A-10 replacement" that people wish for when moaning about retiring the A-10. Aside from the gun, it's got most of the same strengths and weaknesses: slow, fuel efficient, easy to maintain, highly vulnerable to MANPADS. It doesn't have quite the same payload, but you're usually not employing multiple tons of ordnance to take out a building or a few trucks on your typical CAS mission. I think it would be a great thing to have in our inventory for that kind of permissive, flexible, affordable CAS requirement.

Why a manned prop plane over an attack helicopter or drone equivilant of a Super Tucano?

Serious question I know very little about things that fly.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Plus, I've read some (probably Russian) poo poo saying that the 30mm bullets out of the GAU-8 aren't even enough to penetrate most modern MBT armor unless it gets a perfectly angled hit on a weak spot, making the gun itself pretty pointless

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/cold-war-coloring-book-taught-a-10-pilots-to-kill-soviet-tanks-a26385113bf0

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

do pilots still use grease pencils to loving aim dumb fire rockets

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how the gently caress have we not figured out how to put a sight on a loving apache, at the most basic level of "shooting poo poo" using a grease pen makes about as much sense as only a front sight post on an m16

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why bother being able to aim from a loving helicopter that is shooting rockets

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

Soooo why wasn't the tether cable connected to the blimp with some kind of release or exploding bolt or something so that when it escapes it can shed the cable like a lizard's trail rather than drag it over powerlines and poo poo?

It would make more sense to have some mechanism on the blimp that reels in the snapped tether but yeah

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mike-o posted:

good, he's standing up so he can be shot easier.

Sniper check

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbOPA2yYFyI

This has been posted before but its how not to assault a position.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 30, 2015

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

Here the soldiers have learned the value of not being seen. However, they have picked a very obvious piece of cover.
https://gfycat.com/CanineThunderousEastrussiancoursinghounds

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

we can't even stop pretty blond white girls from joining ISIS and risking death in torture prisons

The best part about those stories is hearing about them dying a few months later when they try and go home. Did you not think joining a murder cult would have downsides?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Was there ever confirmation that he's dead? What's the chance he's still alive in prison?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SumYungGui posted:

It's probably actually this. As much as I hate to use the word, the work "culture" in these militaries is very, very much "gently caress you do what I tell you because I'm a member of the ruling family/right tribal affiliation/sunni or shia/paid the right bribes/whatever and you are beneath me in everything. Exactly which one of those applies varies from place to place but whatever is chosen the guys on top loving stay there and everyone else god drat well does what they say. No feedback allowed, they're right you're loving wrong do it. Training/technical manuals, for example, are hoarded like treasure to officers only because letting the enlisted guys know more than the officers about anything at all is undermining how things are arranged.

If the officers aren't the ones getting hurt/killed by these problems then zero fucks are given and nothing will change.

Is there any insight into how ISIS/taliban/iraq insurgency functioned? Did the dudes in charge rule with an iron fist?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's bullshit to say "the military ruined my body so that's why I'm fat!" No, Larry, you're fat because your ruined body keeps you from exercising and you eat too many calories. Eat less and you won't be fat.

I think he's saying he's been there done that and now doesn't care. Dudes retired and just wants to shoot guns, eat icecream, and preach the virtues of FIREclean

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Caconym posted:

Friend of mine was in NorBat in Lebanon in the 80s and mistook a smoke round for a star shell in the dark.
So they fired and waited for the flare to light to see who was sneaking about Hezbollah highway that night, but nothing happened. And then they heard the air raid sirens from the Israeli side where the shell had landed and been mistaken for a gas grenade. :v:

Friend did the same thing but with mortars. And by smoke I mean WP. Thank god it was dark and a training mission so no one found out

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The military ruined my hearing, for drat sure.

One guy I know who fired thousands of rounds on two tours was almost stiffed by the VA because they claimed his hearing loss was due to a one-in-a-million genetic defect instead of being an artilleryman. He had to go on steroids (for ear muscles?) and get a hearing aid before they paid out.

e: I'm late to the Carl G chat, but that thing was a bitch to carry around for no real reason. Had one get set his helmet on fire though. He soaked his scrim with bug juice to keep the mosquitoes off. Fired it and it started smoking like crazy.

ee: anecdotal, but I heard that LAWs were retained for the same reason the Carl G was. They won't stop tanks in the Fulda gap anymore, but they'll make holes in Grape Huts and mud wall compounds.

Law is also only five pounds so it's a lot easier to hump than an at4 whm you're only using it to blast holes in huts.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

pkells posted:

Wait, the Carl-G was introduced in 1948?! It's taken us over 50 years to realize "Hey, this thing is pretty great, maybe we should buy a lot more of them."

I just don't get how that works.

In all fairness it's probably gone through a lot of upgrades in its ammo so it's not really a fair comparison. The original bazooka would probably be decent with modern day munitions.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Flares bro

Also the Russians obviously learned loving nothing from Afghanistan if they are flying above the bad guys doing risky moves like that. I'd rather get the Jordanian fighter pilot treatment than risk what those guys are risking.

Lmao if you don't keep one last sweet round of mercy in a pocket somewhere

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I can't wait for the training rounds from scifi where you go paralyzed wherever you get hit lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Do infantry/Marines generally wear earpro in a combat setting? Even regular foamie earplugs would be mostly good against jet noise, even from up close like that. I'm not saying it wouldn't be loud, but it wouldn't be skull-fuckingly-loud, like it would be to bare ears.

No. I've seen photos of some SF types using the ear pro that only blocks loud sounds but I never saw it being used on deployment when I was a grunt.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I want a tv show that pits boots from different countries against one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bolting on heavy armor to a lovely jeep makes a lovely jeep that can no longer go off road

• Locked thread