Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I think I knew this game was going to be amazing when I noticed how well armed the mothership is in this. Those six guns have some serious range, and they provide some substantial firepower if a dogfight is happening around the Kuun-Lan, which is all the goddamn time.

Jumping onboard for the voice acting lauding as well. Homeworld had some pretty hefty punches delivered by S'jet, but Cataclysm is no joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Sel Nar posted:

The lowest difficulty also gives your fighters around 5,000 HP, and your mothership nearly 400,000. (In comparison, in Normal difficulty, your ACVs have around 1000 HP, and the Kuun-Lan has just around 100K)

Conversely, on harder modes you lose health on your ships. I think 33% each time you move up? It gets scary very quickly.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

MadHat posted:

Rams can be useful but hardly required, I have gone through very hard without them.

Anything can be solved with enough Acolytes, Anything

Agreed. The Acolyte is just too flexible compared to the Ramming Frigate. The Ram is useful, but by the time you could use it effectively you have better options.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
WE LIVE. I still get chills from that.

Yay! You pulled the Acolyte move! I remember figuring that out as a kid and realizing how simple it is when you get it down.

I don't remember if this has been mentioned, but if you have a team of entirely 4 star guys and 1 zero star guy, they all move at the slowest pace. However, if you have them all at 4 stars, then you have a fast, lethal attack force. At the end of missions you can mix and match your groups accordingly.

The voice over at the end is incredibly well done. The mixture of emotions that comes across as the scene gives a very real human side to this... thing.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 9, 2015

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

John Liver posted:

So we've gone from Homeworld to System Shock in earnest? Count me in.

And wait, what the engineer said at the close of the video ... those screams are the screams of people being turned into ... living computer parts? Jesus.

Yup. It is akin to "I have no mouth, but I must scream"

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Sorry, "Kharak is Burning" still gets me more than anything else. But let's wait for things to happen and not spoil the fun yea?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Sel Nar posted:

All 3 Ship names are good fits, actually; Faal-Corum is on a deep-space surveying mission, giving substance to its name, and the Clee-San, as we all noticed, was a stupidly-expensive science ship that someone forgot to strap point-defense weapons to.

They didn't have time to put weapons on it. The Som-Taaw had 45 days to use the Mothership and spend 42ish days on the Fall-Corum and Kun-Laan. The Clee-san was finished in the last few days and only had time to mount the most state of the art science, sensors and lab equipment on board. It's pretty much the Som-Taaw's version of the science vessel; super flexible and a little more rugged.

The Clee-San getting infected by the Beast was probably worse for everyone than the Heavy Cruiser and Ion Arrays being taken over.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Broken Box posted:

From the looks of how powerful missiles are on your strike craft have the Turanic missile corvettes been made worthwhile in Cataclysm? For how long it takes to pick up heavier firepower of your own it seems that might make a decent intermediary ship if so.

If they're in large groups (we're talking 10-12) then they get scary in a hurry. Missile Corvettes are your bane in harder modes since they can shred your perfect formations of 4-star acolytes with ease if you're not careful. Even ACVS need to watch out since they don't have the speed of Acolytes to dodge some missiles.

Missile Corvettes never really had a chance to shine in the original Homeworld, but like most everything in Cataclysm, they've gotten some upgrades.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Gothsheep posted:

I'm actually a little surprised you did cap it. That's a lot of SU to commit to one ship with your current supply cap.

This is only the case since our OP has a metric crap ton of workers and processors. Once the herd is thinned a bit it won't seem so unwieldy.

Also, that Heavy Cruiser is hilariously powerful for this stage in the game. Imagine having a Heavy Cruiser on mission 5-6 in the original Homeworld.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
5 sets of 9 acolytes, two Hive Frigates and the Heavy Cruiser is my usually set up for this mission. If you have the Acolytes in wings going up and down the line of colony ships with the Hives Frigates near the center and the Cruiser getting real chummy with the Kuun-Lan you'll get through ok, probably losing a colony ship or two to RNG. This mission is bullshit since sometimes those Missiles just spawn 20km away from a colony ship and it is going to turn into pain train very shortly. Getting through this mission with all the colony ships surviving either involves save-scumming or getting really lucky with missile spawns.

Despite how juicy of a prize it is, if you leave the Heavy Cruiser next to your Mothership the Beast usually don't bother with it. The Beast do however love to hunt Processors.

Ok, can we all just admit that Sentinels are a trap? Sure, the shield looks SUPER COOL, but I'd rather have two sets of 9 acolytes for the SU cost for one complete shield of Sentinels. If this was the first game I'd use those suckers all the time to cover the main ship, but the Kuun-Lan is built to handle problems.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 24, 2015

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Holy... Ok I was on the fence about getting the HD versions but uh, yea. That got me hooked.

That dog fight at the end was much crisper than I thought it would be.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm fairly certain that MBFs get nigh-exponentially stronger the more of them you have. When you can throw a pack of 5-7 of them at a swarm of corvettes and fighters, they just shred the wave. Even against bigger ships like Frigates they hold their own.

This is where the Som-Taaw fleet finally comes into its own, you have Acolytes and ACVs for quick work, and the workhorses of the Hive and Multibeam for some serious punch. Everything got an upgrade too, as now the bulk of your fleet picked up those fancy energy cannons. The only thing I don't like about energy cannons is while they look great on capital ships, I wish the Acolytes had rapid fire versions. A dogfight doesn't look like a dogfight without chain guns blazing away.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Still, this is where that Heavy Cruiser comes in incredibly handy if you managed to keep it. Also can't overstate how important it is to actually have the Kuun-Lan in the fighting zone - she really packs a punch with the upgraded guns.

Ayup, you can pretty much give her the left or right flank of the fight and watch her burn everything to ash. Or, if everything is one big clusterfuck, huck the HC into the middle of it and then everything gets really quiet.

Multibeam Frigates really shine in bigger fights if they are allowed to wander around the fight picking off strike craft wings while pecking away at the bigger ships. If you don't have a set of heavy hitters to absorb most of the attention of the enemy big hitters, then they can't operate as effectively as they could.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

berryjon posted:

They also wouldn't fit on any of the docking points on the Processor or Kuun-Lan. That would have to be retrofitted as well.

I'm a little surprised they didn't give it to a Mimic pilot and say "Have fun!" The things would make a nice boom when they hit something, especially if they didn't think the resource would turn and RAM them.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
This is one of my favorite missions. A three way battle with some serious firepower being thrown around by all of the sides.

That Beast Mothership does *not* gently caress around in this mission. I think the cooldown on her infection beam is somewhere around .5 to 1 second. For those thinking we can end it here. Ha. Hahaha. No.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Mokinokaro posted:

From the manual, the shaman is similar to the deacon in that it was a retrofitted.mining ship design. In this case, the carriers were basically made to be motherships of smaller mining fleets, capable of building new harvesters and strike craft in a pinch.

Yup, the Carriers were meant to stick around a finish off mining operations while the Motherships move onto another sector to set up the next operation. The Carriers catch up after the Mothership has laid the groundwork and helps until it is time for the next cycle to begin.

With the addition of the Carriers your supply cap has nearly doubled, so not only do you have room for a good set of Destroyers, (I like a six pack myself) but you have enough Frigates to really compliment them and make a scary attack force.

Of course, Destroyers in this game do it all, so you could really make a ton of Destroyers and just call it a day.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I just recognized the MBF voice actor from some dumb show I watched 15-20 years ago. He's Brad from Zoids. At least I think he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
You're 100% correct about the Leeches taking forever. When the two emitters are destroyed they deal enough damage to blow up all the leeches attached to them. It is a better effect and probably faster to have the MCVs go screaming down the pipe to do the job.

• Locked thread