Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, that booming bass was a bit much as far as audio balance goes.

I'm also pretty sure that the intro with the Taiidani ships flying through the asteroids was designed to deliberately call back to the first Homeworld in as blatant a manner as possible. It's basically saying "Remember when it was bandits and pirates doing this? That's what the Taiidani are reduced to now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dabir posted:

It's not just that the voice acting's better in this game, it's so much more varied. Each ship's individual voice and personality, each one backed up by a paragraph or two of backstory in the manual. Tell a processor to attack something sometime, they're decently-armed considering their role and they're just so earnest about it.

I love how absolutely sullen your harvesters sound in this game. "Yeah yeah, harvesting, whatever."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Y'know what, I'm going to take the controversial stance that Cataclysm's fleet command voices aren't actually inferior to HW1's and say that they're easily just as good. The first Homeworld's voice acting on the whole was very sterile. It had its moments to be sure, and I think that "dryness" could be argued to be appropriate for the very somber tone of the game, but I also think that it gets talked up a bit too much by fans of the game when it's largely just sort of there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

Since when was this a controversial opinion? I guess I've just always talked about HW:C with people with good taste because I've never heard anyone say that Command/Intelligence were worse in Cataclysm.

I've rarely heard anyone making GBS threads on Cataclysm, but it usually seems to get slotted into a general position of "not quite as good as Homeworld...but way better than Homeworld 2 of course." A lot of people do dog its plot for being too "sci-fi derivative" compared to HW1's (which I'm not going to spoil, it'll become apparent soon enough) but ehhhh, on the whole I actually think that Cataclysm is, in many ways, an improvement over HW1. From little things like the voice acting to being able to direct attacks from the sensor map to the various ships and upgrades feeling more creative and distinct, I feel like it kind of gets unfairly relegated to "little brother" status not because it's bad but because the first Homeworld is sort of enshrined as a classic (which, to be fair, it deserves to be).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JcDent posted:

Well, it's like Deus Ex and its "sequel? What sequel?". That non existent game isn't bad by itself, but it is the sequel to one of the highest ratest games of all time. And it doesn't really fill the shoes it set out to fill.

Well are we talking Invisible War or Human Revolution? Because I think even the most generous assessment would be hard-pressed to argue that Invisible War is actually on par with the first Deus Ex the same way Cataclysm is with Homeworld, while Human Revolution actually received many favorable comparisons to the original (which in some respects it imitated too slavishly). Invisible War may not be the worst game ever but it's not on HW: Catalyst's level in terms of being a good sequel.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

theblastizard posted:

The Somtaaw seem like the Texans of the Higarans. Everything has guns.

After the poo poo the Hiigarans went through in the first game everybody probably puts guns on everything. Space is loving dangerous.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

Oh hey, it's the plot. You remember that danger from the rising raider threat and the remnants of the brutal imperial military, and the internal political intrigue that the game was getting you ready for? No?

This is where Cataclysm goes from what could have been a great game to a good one. If they had stayed a little more... grounded, with a story that was less generically sci-fi, it would have been a better game. It's still good! Just not great.

A contrasting opinion; we fought raiders and the Taiidan in the first game, retreading that ground twice in a row doesn't sound especially compelling. "It's the same guys you fought, only now you get to fight them again in different colors." The plot of this game gets derided a lot for being "c-list sci-fi" but it's not at all out of place considering the first game was full of "weird alien poo poo that likes to gently caress you up for no good reason other than you poked your stick in the wrong sector" (see; Dog, Junkyard, that one derelict that hijacked your own ships and turned them against you).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For my money, I'm glad they didn't make the various Taiidani warlords the main focus of Cataclysm because the first game pretty much reached peak Taiidan...they blew up your planet and killed your people, you eventually triumph over them and reclaim your homeworld. The Taiidani role in the Hiigaran saga is basically done at that point, anything after that is inevitably going to be constantly calling back to the first game to try and remain relevant. I'm not saying they couldn't have pulled it off but I think it could have easily been uninspired as all get-out to try and capture that same lighting twice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
No sure, that's exactly what it's for. The Taiidani are still out there, still a threat of sorts, but it's basically a rote nuisance by this point. "Yep, the Taiidani are at it again." Though to be honest, even if the Taiidani were completely out of the picture it's easy to imagine that after what the Hiigarans went through on the journey home that they'd be strapping guns to everything as a matter of course because once again, space is loving dangerous.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, you'd think if anyone would put guns on their resource collectors it'd be the Somtaaw, I guess it's probably some sort of gameplay balance conceit maybe.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Captain Bravo posted:

This is one thing I don't get, and it comes up a few times. I know it was mentioned in the first video something about the Somtaaw being restricted to fighters, but I don't remember anything about that at all. We've already seen the Kuun-Laan has the capability to create large ships, when they constructed the processor that's almost half the size of the Kuun-Laan itself. Why don't they ever use that? Even if they don't want to go full warship, why don't they have the Kuun-Laan and the Fal-Corum fly out to an asteroid field, mine a few hundred thousand resource units, and build two ships? Then move on, double to eight ships, etc. etc. Like, it's weird that they're so awesome and forward-thinking they can create things way better than the other kiiths use... but then they just never thought to double the size of their fleet? With ships that are almost custom-made to do exactly that? Why haven't they tried it yet?

My guess, off the top of my head, is that even if they could create the ships they'd quickly hit the point where they just don't have enough warm bodies to crew them. Kith Somtaww was a minor Kith even before the Taiidani burned Kharak to a cinder, in the present day, even with a much more open door "please join our Kith" policy they still probably lack the manpower of the major Kiths.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FredMSloniker posted:

That's very poetic, but no. The crew of the Kuun-Lan aren't stupid enough to try to weaponize the Beast.

The Kuun-Lan isn't dumb enough but it's entirely possible that somebody higher up on the chain of command is, like whoever it was that ordered the Kuun-Lan to go poking the alien spacebox with a stick in the first place. If there's anything sci-fi has taught us it's that no matter how completely and utterly terrible something is, no matter how dangerous or horrific, there's always some rear end in a top hat who looks at it and goes "hot drat, how do I get me a piece of that action?" See; Aliens, Dead Space, et al.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

macdjord posted:

Actually, things would have been considerably better off if they'd handed the probe off to a dedicated research vessel, because a dedicated research vessel wouldn't have an excellent point-defence grid and an integral construction bay.

You say this but a dedicated Hiigaran research vessel is probably capable of being repurposed into churning out heavy cruisers with like 15 minutes to rearrange a few things.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something that's kind of funny is how it discusses the workings of the Acolyte in the manual and states that when two Acolytes link up to form an ACV that one pilot takes over as the main pilot while the other acts as the Electronics Systems Operator, and that in any given pairing it's traditional for the Acolyte pilot with the most flight time to get dibs on being "on top."

Except it's, y'know, space. Where there is no real top or bottom to things. It's silly and pointless, but it's also a very humanizing little detail.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Berryjon, isn't there a window just after a vessel is infected where you can still scuttle it? That seems like it'd be the best course of action whenever the Beast manages to infect something like that Cruiser, though admittedly it might not make for exciting viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I actually really like the Hive Frigate's voice. Though my favorite line is still the Workers though. "Acknowledged. *Sigh* Harvesting..."

• Locked thread