Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you intend to order WK9?
This poll is closed.
PPV Live/On Demand ($34.95) 23 25.00%
NJPW World (¥999) 64 69.57%
Flipps App ($34.95) 5 5.43%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IveBfP-b594&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHEDt18dbko&hd=1

HOW TO WATCH
  • Live on PPV in North America, check with your local pay per view provider for details. Available at $34.99.
  • Note that some providers will be airing live, some on delay at prime time, and some not at all. Here is a guide from Global Force Wrestling on provider listings.
  • The PPV version will have English commentary from Jim Ross & Matt Striker, with SAP (second audio programme) available to listen to the Japanese commentary feed.

• Live and on demand on NJPW World, NJPW's online subscription service. ¥999 ($8.30) per month.
  • Note that the NJPW world version will be the Japanese feed only, and is the only way to watch the preliminary New Japan Rumble match.
  • Here is a guide from Wrestling Observer on how to order NJPW World.

• Live and on demand on the Flipps app. Available on the App Store, Google Play and on certain consoles for $34.95.
  • Here is a guide from Wrestling Observer on how to order via the Flipps app.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbDRIK1W7A&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

my hype levels are out of control for this.

two more days...

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jeff Jarrett is actually wrestling, and on New Japan's biggest show of the year? That's bizarre.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grozz Nuy posted:

Jeff Jarrett is actually wrestling, and on New Japan's biggest show of the year? That's bizarre.

I haven't watched NJPW since King of Pro Wrestling, and that show seemed to set up a Jarrett/Yoshi Tatsu feud, which obviously got put on ice when Tatsu broke his neck. Did JJ have any meaningful angles in the time since, or is he just on here because his company is making the big English-language push?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I want to believe that Honma is pinning Jarrett and all the Honmaniacs are gonna run wild in the Tokyo Dome.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Those top 3 matches will be great.... if the timing of the event works out.

Not watching this live, hopefully I can catch it on NJPW World tomorrow morning spoiler free

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
As someone who has never seen a single second of NJPW but enjoys grapplemans, is this a worthwhile PPV to buy? I have to admit, the only reason I'm interested is because of JR plugging the hell out of it. I've only watched american wrestling - whether it be ROH, WWE, or WCW.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

As someone who has never seen a single second of NJPW but enjoys grapplemans, is this a worthwhile PPV to buy? I have to admit, the only reason I'm interested is because of JR plugging the hell out of it. I've only watched american wrestling - whether it be ROH, WWE, or WCW.

It's the Japanese Wrestlemania and an absolutely stacked card, so yes.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you're ever going to buy a Japanese wrestling PPV, this is the one to get. If you're unfamiliar with the product, this show is New Japan's equivalent to Wrestlemania - they run the Tokyo Dome (biggest wrestling venue in Japan) every year on January 4th and all of their year- or months-long angles culminate there. It's the best show on paper in several years, and JR's announcing should be perfect to help a casual fan jump in. The whole point is to make the product accessible to people who have never watched New Japan.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

These shows have the same... aura of Wrestlemania. There are so many great matches on this card that if you watch, and enjoy ROH shows, then you'd enjoy WK9

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If anyone's wondering, it's me. I'm the one ordering on Flipps. The streaming quality of the preview videos when played to my Xbox are actually pretty impressive, so hopefully the live stream or the VOD version look like that.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Yes. Unquestionably.

I wrote up a little preview for some friends, many of whom are first timers, and wound up posting it online. Might help give you a beginner's intro into what to expect.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TUS posted:

These shows have the same... aura of Wrestlemania. There are so many great matches on this card that if you watch, and enjoy ROH shows, then you'd enjoy WK9

Yeah, anyone who's capable of enjoying non WWE wrestling should give this a shot. It's only $8.40ish if you don't mind foreign commentary and a still reasonable $35 if you want the American feed.

The production totally blows ROH away and gives a much more big show feel akin to Wrestlemania.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Which version do I have to buy to get JR's commentary?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

Which version do I have to buy to get JR's commentary?

The GFW feed either on regular PPV (US and Canada only) or Flipps (international but you need a compatible device to watch on TV) has the English commentary with the choice of switching to the Japanese feed. The NJPW World version is Japanese only but is a LOT cheaper and you get full archives (it's basically the NJPW Network).

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

So all the hype has gotten to me, and I've decided to buy the show. I don't have any friends, so the cable PPV feed is a bit more than I would like to spend, even if it means sacrificing JR. Will NJPW World archive the show immediately? No way I can make it to 3 AM and I want to watch the show on a leisurely Sunday afternoon.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

So all the hype has gotten to me, and I've decided to buy the show. I don't have any friends, so the cable PPV feed is a bit more than I would like to spend, even if it means sacrificing JR. Will NJPW World archive the show immediately? No way I can make it to 3 AM and I want to watch the show on a leisurely Sunday afternoon.

It'll at least be up by about 10 AM EST if the Korakuen shows from December are any indication.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Thauros posted:

The GFW feed either on regular PPV (US and Canada only) or Flipps (international but you need a compatible device to watch on TV) has the English commentary with the choice of switching to the Japanese feed. The NJPW World version is Japanese only but is a LOT cheaper and you get full archives (it's basically the NJPW Network).

Ah gently caress, well if my friends aren't willing to try Japanese wrestling, I was going to get NJPW World anyway

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thauros posted:

It'll at least be up by about 10 AM EST if the Korakuen shows from December are any indication.

Thanks, good brother!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

So looking at the schedule, I think there's a show at 10pm tonight with a contract signings and a couple matches. Then, about 10 hours before the actual show, the pregame starts? It says 15:15 Japan time for the actual show to begin, which is 1:15am EST Saturday night. But the pregame is listed as 5:00 Japan time, which I make to be about 3:00 pm EST Saturday afternoon. Is that right?

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Dunbar posted:

So looking at the schedule, I think there's a show at 10pm tonight with a contract signings and a couple matches. Then, about 10 hours before the actual show, the pregame starts? It says 15:15 Japan time for the actual show to begin, which is 1:15am EST Saturday night. But the pregame is listed as 5:00 Japan time, which I make to be about 3:00 pm EST Saturday afternoon. Is that right?

The preshow starts at 15:15 JST, the event at 05:00 JST is just them putting the ring/set together.

edit: Here's the link where the stream will be on NJPW World, has a countdown timer there atm:

http://njpwworld.com/pg/l_live_wk9

Biosys fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 2, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really wanted to hear JR's commentary but I don't have a compatible TV to work with the Flipps app so I guess I'll be paying less and watching the NJPW world version, which is a pity. Of course suddenly a whole lot of real life obligations popped up and I'll probably miss at least the first hour or so of the show, but I'm still really looking forward to seeing this. Tanahashi and Okada are going to be incredible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think GFW got to me. Those Striker breakdowns are solid enough to make me feel like i have a decent handle of what's going on so I think I'm going to binge on them and them fork over the money for the GFW broadcast.

Although probably not live. Staying up until 4 or 5 AM for a random show I only know about from some posts and youtube videos is a bit much. I'm trying but I have limits.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If you don't order and enjoy this show you don't like wrestling. this is only like 5% hyperbole

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
For anyone still on the fence, Wrestle Kingdom last year killed Wrestlemania for wrestling and had more spectacle and cool entrances. And this show trumps that on paper. It's going to be incredibly awesome.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

seriously the only bad match on the card is

none of them

they're all the best match

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Zyla posted:

seriously the only bad match on the card is

none of them

they're all the best match

buddy there's a match where the best worker on one team is Yujiro Takahashi

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Nerokerubina posted:

but STRIPPERS!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Nerokerubina posted:

Kojima and Honma are definitely better. Fale is sometimes better. No idea what Jarrett can do in 2015. Tenzan... yeah he's better than Tenzan.

Don't get it twisted he's still awesome and this will fun due to Honma.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

http://njpwworld.com/lp/l_live_3_1

Large Wrestling Festival 2015 about to go live, it's press conferences & a couple of matches

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Okada and Gedo are now drumming Okada's theme on some giant arcade drumming machine, Guitar Freaks style. This is great.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Holy crap, JR is going to do commentary? Jeff Jarrett is going to be printing money with this. NJPW might finally have a chance to catch on properly in America!

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

sigmachiev posted:

For anyone still on the fence, Wrestle Kingdom last year killed Wrestlemania for wrestling and had more spectacle and cool entrances.

For anyone still on the fence NJPW has fuckin dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJeX4EVd9Q

And that wasn't even from the Dome show. Nakamura's 1/4 entrance was even better.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Please tell me that Sakuraba's walkout video is a montage of the Gracies he's beat. (Only tell me if its true)

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

If anyone's wondering, it's me. I'm the one ordering on Flipps. The streaming quality of the preview videos when played to my Xbox are actually pretty impressive, so hopefully the live stream or the VOD version look like that.

Same. I don't have cable and don't wanna bother with the njpw subscription atm.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Just threw on the live show, how has it been?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

okada and gedo came out to promote a wii u/arcade rhythm game co-promoted with njpw and they co-oped the rainmaker theme on the game

everyone from each match came out and did promos, lots of english to listen to

they showed makabe signing poo poo for a while

now it's taguchi doing some thing promoting the kinpuro card game

there's supposed to be a match or two on it like suzuki-gun vs. liger's job squad

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Any way to run the flipp app on a desktop like an android emulator or something?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I only planned to watch this for a little bit, but I've left it on, and at this point I have no idea what's going on. There are 4 women in the ring - one in a schoolgirl (?) outfit, one in some Mardi Gras getup, and two others. I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Dunbar posted:

I only planned to watch this for a little bit, but I've left it on, and at this point I have no idea what's going on. There are 4 women in the ring - one in a schoolgirl (?) outfit, one in some Mardi Gras getup, and two others. I'm confused.

It's kind of a debate about Tanahashi and Okada. Schoolgirl is for Okada, the rest for Tanahashi.

E: My Japanese is rusty as hell and I'm only catching broad strokes, so might be missing more than a few subtleties here.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 3, 2015

• Locked thread