Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm kind of curious how RTZ will do playing as a European team, considering the whole "we hate playing on Lux" thing re:DotaCinema.

I also wonder between him and Puppey how they're going to be able to contain all that swag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MVP/Ninjas so far has been 2EZ4Jonasfan. Huge ravages.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oops.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 3, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Here live, busier room than past year.

People still go "OOHHHHHHHHH" over unremarkable ganks. I guess that's the "sports" part.

EDIT: Somebody by the door is playing League. :v

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Eejit posted:

It's at CES, I'm sure there are a lot of people who haven't watched any or a lot of pro Dota in the past and are hype for everything

That's maybe 30%. Its not the people mooing every time Mag charges.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Jamsque posted:

If you aren't going to get hype and shout why are you even going to a live event? This isn't golf, get loving loud.

You can argue that you're wrecking the game if you go nuts over Roshan or Rapiers etc.

I walked in just now to see Dusa VS Naga. gently caress that. Might as well go eat lunch.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Somebody on CDEC does the ROTK thing of yelling loudly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

little munchkin posted:

Usually they make everyone wear make noise canceling headphones to prevent this. Although at TI4 the crowd gave away a level 1 roshan buy cheering so much the player's booths started shaking.

This room is kind of small (it's a quarter a ballroom, with another quarter behind the curtains) and noisy enough that I don't think it matters unless noise canceling headphones are REALLY good (I don't own any, I wouldn't know.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Mushi gonna kill a child

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The REAL Goobusters posted:

C9 is an american organization so thats why its in the NA quals.

Then Liquid would have been in EU back in the day.

I left the event, my battery is dead. It was fun, only got a few glares, passed Ayesee in the hall and had to resist repeating a catchphrase.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 6, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This draft is dumb.

EDIT: It took me two hours to get home and I missed one 25 minute match. LANs :v:

Brain Fog posted:

Was at d2l sitting next to Sheever for the first series.

I totally missed her. :(

I was the guy hanging by the door getting weird looks for being so old at a Dota tournament. But on the upside, Mushi acknowledged my existence. I think that adds about 700 MMR.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 6, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, if you're a Pudge in the poverty house like PPD, what do you build? Do you get Blade Mail and act like a reverse Clockwork?

(Also, forgot to mention this earlier: I enjoy Ayesee casting in a live setting. He's not as fun when watching online, I get it. And goddammit someone take the camera controls from him. But live events like sports or WWE aren't always the most immersion because you can't hear the announcers. At a LAN, a hypefest caster like Ayesee brings the :bawgahd: which makes it fun.

Just, don't pair him with a hypefest analyst like Lumi or it all goes downhill.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Enigma89 posted:

It sounds like there are 10 kids in this audience. Are they casting in a living room?

The room was never as packed as it was for the first game, but the casting is happening "backstage" so they aren't picking it up very well. The crowd moos for Spirit Breaker were loud enough to be acknowledged.

EDIT: Sumhail's specialty is supposedly Storm Spirit. Draft that and Fear Spirit Breaker since apparently CDEC doesn't know how to handle that hero.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
He isn't the problem, though I'm curious how EG will handle scheduling with a player still in school?

EDIT: 322 Reasons to Pick Lina.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 6, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheRat posted:

Just the same way they dealt with arteezy and zai still being in school?

Arteezy finished school before going pro. It's probably easier to play US games from Sweden than play EU games in Chicago, as most EU games are around 9am to noon. Zai probably had time zones in his favor.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Uh is this true?

He only did standin appearances like MLG Columbus, and waited until he finished high school before SADBOYS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kild posted:

Sadboys did their first lan in like February.

Okay, I'm an old man because I forgot when school season was. :corsair:

There was a lot of talk in fall '13 about him waiting before going full time. I guess he didn't.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
By the by, in case there was any doubt that NaVi controls Secret, the announcement picture released by Secret announcing Zai and Arteezy is in the exact same style as the introducing FNG/Vanskor graphic months ago.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

EDIT: To compare...

I'm just saying it's probably the same ownership, like EG/Alliance. Jesus.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ragingsheep posted:

Isn't that just photoshopped?

The pictures are stock. I just saw it on Twitter and remembered the NaVi graphic from after the TI4 shuffle. I think the NaVi one is official at least as it was on Liquid, Join Dota etc. Maybe they both were made by overeager fans since esporting orgs often don't have their social media together. Though that seems a little out there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mikeraskol posted:

Why are people expecting EG to be good at their first lan with 2/5ths of their team being new?

Aui has been around forever and has been pretty good when standing in. He and Demon did a great job on Fnatic last year. The new guy isn't really feeding or making obvious errors. The problem probably is PPD not having Arteezy and Zai playing out of their minds anymore making his drafts work, but he hasn't changed. And when he does, it's desperation "anything can work" poo poo.

The other two teams have standins, too. VPP only has one, but it's Demon being a support playmaker on a CIS team used to speaking in Russian.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
VP coach had the same reaction to creeps blowing up the throne as I usually do for Rat Dota.

Also, I heard juicy stories of drunk Dota 2 professionals.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The all blue draft rides again.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
VPP status: still owns.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It probably doesn't help that they're streaming out at a very high quality, too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taffer posted:

that does not take some uber internet connection, even a residential connection can do that easily

Residential connections don't have very good upload, and one guy uploading can max out a connection and kill the ten other clients downloading.

Really though, CES brings a lot of people using every hotel's connection, and the hotels all use Cox cable. Business accounts, but it brings a lot of load mostly to one ISP.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Things I learned (I.e. overheard in a conversation with other people) from spending 45 minutes next to PPD. I guess it's impolite to post this but one is semi-public and the other two involve Mason, so who gives a poo poo:

A drunk Mason once threw up on his laptop.

More drunk antics: There was some conversation that ended with S4 tweeting a picture of a large breasted woman with her top down. He deleted it in like 20 seconds and was probably smashed out of his mind.

Also at some point Mason put a room service cart in a hotel elevator and hit the button for every floor.

Feel bad for Sheever. She has a 12 hour layover in Newark and was in the bargaining phase. "Its close to New York, right? No? Are there things to do there?"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've always kind of liked Polar, but god drat I didn't know they owned this hard.

Illidan sometimes has problems executing after getting all that farm, but with good direction he is insane.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Illidan has been shrugging off Double Ravage all day long. VPP has been playing for nearly twelve hours now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know if wagering an entire tournament on Lifestealer is a good idea.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheresNoThyme posted:

Is LD basically antihype incarnate or have all dota casters just stopped caring?

There's games all over the place and TOs usually give them exclusivity rights, so why care?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
On a normal day I'm fine with LV, but their SEA standins really carried them through tough games.

Demon and the Russian Boy Band are the champions of my heart.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The BO1s ruled, though. The stuff after the round robin was kind of crap.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

420 Gank Mid posted:

Pieliedie can defend his "Worst at Mario Party" award

Pieliedie can claim his "no longer appearing at TI" award.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CampingCarl posted:

Bo1s are terrible for dota. The only thing they are good for are group stages and even then only in the interest of saving time.

They're fine for round robins because they allow pocket strategies to appear here and there and make for the occasional upset. Also makes sure you see everybody fight everybody once without seeing so much of each that finals seem like a retread.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Petey Golfsystem posted:

pocket strats are the literal opposite of what did and will happen
There were two level 1 Roshan attempts in the BO1s, unless I remember it wrong. I know someone did it successfully, and Alliance failed horribly. There was also some weird stuff like MMY Tusk.

Wanting tons and tons of BO3s between every combination of ~16 teams feels like the kind of thing a person says who really, really is only interested in seeing the "best" team advance and doesn't care how enjoyable or entertaining it is to watch it. It's like the sports fan who wants to end playoffs, extend regular season, and just give a trophy to the team with the best records.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Asuron posted:

I don't know how they improve on something like that

Safeco Field.

I'm not kidding. It has one of the largest screens in pro sports.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bad Moon posted:

The only problem you'd have to move TI to the winter. No way could you do multiple days in July or August in a baseball field unless you got lucky and had an extended road trip.

MLB hosts outdoor events during the baseball season while the home teams are off on road trips. For instance, AT&T Park had a Jay-Z/Beyonce "On The Run" tour stop last season while the Giants went on a long road trip.

You aren't going to do a six day event there, and I'm not saying they should do it this year, but I don't think we're certain that all six days are the public event? You could probably do three. Or do what WrestleMania 19 did and take the very very end of March and then scram.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CampingCarl posted:

What do you mean we aren't certain that all six days are the public event? Are you suggesting that part of the main event will not be open to spectators?

Last year a whole bunch of qualifying happened at a hotel privately. All we know is TI5 goes from [start date] to [end date]. We don't know all six of those days are going to be a live stage with spectators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sphyre posted:

Time for Loda and Akke to retire.

Loda was the only thing good about the lovely Summit 2 version of Team Tinker. I guess Sing and Bulba need to retire as well.

Akke possibly ought to do like IXMike did after TI3 and "retire" only to show up on a team without the burden of huge sponsors and busy schedules, but he also probably only plays because Loda plays and couldn't be bothered to do so otherwise. There's only like three or four good teams right now: Newbee, EHome, VPPolar, and possibly Secret. Alliance just doesn't have any clue what the gently caress to do, which is weird because guys like Notail and Hanni are changing teams right under their noses.

They probably have the backing to just take the cream off the top of the EU scene like Navi is known to do for CIS, but don't. The only reason I can think of is Loda's obsession with keeping the team as Nordic as they possibly can, but you think at some point somebody at Team Monsterdrinks with more authority than his girlfriend would get tired of throwing money away.

• Locked thread