Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

speaking of which, this is my fav century egg challenge video because dude tries it once by itself and it was, surprise, too strong and he hated it. So he took people's advice of eating them with congee and his opinion was completely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nas1XlsEWgw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

speaking of which, this is my fav century egg challenge video because dude tries it once by itself and it was, surprise, too strong and he hated it. So he took people's advice of eating them with congee and his opinion was completely different:

I wish I had a tail to carry donuts now.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

paraquat posted:

Oh, and I forgot the fact that I cooked the rice with ginger...

...if you're siiiiiiiiick, definitely cook your rice with ginger!!!!!!

ginger and garlic and chicken

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Not dyin':

ginger & chick broth, 62.5 egg, bacon, scallion, fried chile, garlic & shallot
not pictured 'cause I was dumb, toasted black sesame

edit: casu asked about the egg, so for posterity's sake, I dunked it in poaching water for like 10s to set the white

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 7, 2015

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
jookin' n geein'

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Still dying. Made another batch today, cooked in chicken broth cause I was almost out of chicken. Extra ginger.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

these are some nice lookin congees in here yall

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is it still 8:1 if using a rice cooker with a porridge setting?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Is it still 8:1 if using a rice cooker with a porridge setting?

Follow the guidelines for your cooker. Mine has fill lines for water level per scoop of rice for different things. Put a number of scoops of rice and fill to the line on the side of the pot marked porridge for the number of scoops you scooped then start it in porridge mode. Mine makes a super thick mush which I then dilute down to the consistency I want. Put a crushed chunk of ginger in with the rice when you start the cooker.

tardhat
Jan 2, 2006

Ah Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet! Skeet!
Ok, I did it. I made a congee.

I may have gone overboard, but I don't care. This is so good.
9:1 for an hour, about half chicken stock, three chicken legs (removed and shredded after an hour), lemon grass, ginger, white pepper, a little salt, scallions, crispy shallots, salt pork (my butcher ran out of pork belly), and coriander, soft/medium pressure eggs, and a spicy pickle because spicy pickles own.

I think I get it now.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Follow the guidelines for your cooker. Mine has fill lines for water level per scoop of rice for different things. Put a number of scoops of rice and fill to the line on the side of the pot marked porridge for the number of scoops you scooped then start it in porridge mode. Mine makes a super thick mush which I then dilute down to the consistency I want. Put a crushed chunk of ginger in with the rice when you start the cooker.

Based on the Panasonic recipe/cookbook it's 6:1.

Thanks.

Page 51

http://content.meridinet.com/pub/Panasonic/phhc/ricecookers/FY2011%20-%20RC_Cookbook.pdf

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 7, 2015

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Century egg, lean pork and ginger jook. 65C egg (I prefer a firmer yolk in soupy things), and some crisped lap cheong. Not pictured: a really sad first attempt at you tiao.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wei posted:

Century egg, lean pork and ginger jook. 65C egg (I prefer a firmer yolk in soupy things), and some crisped lap cheong. Not pictured: a really sad first attempt at you tiao.

wooo century egg bro :hfive:

never thought of lap cheong in jook, may try that tomorrow.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

wooo century egg bro :hfive:

never thought of lap cheong in jook, may try that tomorrow.

:hfive:

Lap cheong is great but it probably goes better with a plain jook. That and boiled salted eggs were my favourite things to eat with jook.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Tonight we did nanakusagayu. The base porridge was 1/8 brown calrose cooked with shiitake and katsuobushi. Topped with ika shogu yaki, namasu, furikake, and a little bit of sesame oil to darken up the flavour a bit.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I did a jook. Vegetarian style, though.

On top is just green onion and some ginger seitan.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Husband says he's game to try it this weekend. To keep Grav from losing his mind, I'll put a soft boiled egg in my husbands. I have half a roasted chicken, could I just throw the meat in with the broth andrice?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

Whose post?

:bahgawd:

WHOOPS gently caress I JUST realized my mistake :( :eatsajewk:

done jewkd 2 hard

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

bbbbbbbuttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt this dude is so loving goony :( :negative: whyyyyyy

"son of a dick"

*attempts flirt with girl in terse unfunny rapport*

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Echeveria posted:

Husband says he's game to try it this weekend. To keep Grav from losing his mind, I'll put a soft boiled egg in my husbands. I have half a roasted chicken, could I just throw the meat in with the broth andrice?

yes. Chicken jook is my favorite thing to eat on a cold, sick day. With soy sauce and white pepper. Maybe some green onion. Mmm. Put the meat in after the jook is cooked though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

cong'ed again, because what else am I gonna do with a huge pot of leftover sticky rice:
fish sauce, ginger, galangal, chile oil, thai chiles, cilantro, julienned carrot & scallion

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
IT'S loving FREEZING IN FLORIDA I STILL HAVE A COLD

So I arroz caldo'd

:911: :spain: :china: :911: :spain: :china:

Browned onions, garlic, and ginger in pot. Then browned a chicken thigh in there too. Then some cheap saffron yellow rice I had taunting me because why not. Pulled the chicken once it was cooked, added at the end with chopped green onion, sambal, black pepper, and half a slice of cooked bacon that was just sitting in the cheese drawer?

It certainly works, I'm all warmed up and my chest congestion is cleared up considerably. The chicken was cooked perfectly, might I add. Left out the egg because I really am not feeling it today. The bowl was filling enough without it. A great lunch. As dinner, half a soft-boiled egg would be nice though. Ooh, and crusty bread.

Gonna make chicken adobo for dinner. gently caress the cold.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 8, 2015

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

mindphlux posted:

WHOOPS gently caress I JUST realized my mistake :( :eatsajewk:

done jewkd 2 hard

It's not really your fault, Casu used a bunch of Gravity's pictures in the OP so if you didn't look at the poster/av I think anyone would guess it's a gravpost. Sneaky Asians, trying to make us read :argh:

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Regular chicken congee w/turmeric, century egg/black olive, carrots, dill pickles, bacon, scallions in noc chuam w/szech pep, and cilantro.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I congee'd with san bei ji.

Boyfriend: "What are you making?"
Me: "Rice porridge."
Him: :(

Yeah, he's on his third helping.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's a pretty sweet lookin bowl

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

That's a pretty sweet lookin bowl

Thanks! I deeply regret not purchasing more. It has monks on the inside and outside. I have another one that's dragons, same blue on green ceramic. The BF and I usually fight over the dragons.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

My plan for dinner is a jook. How much ginger and garlic should I put in with the rice? I have very few asian ingredients around the house right now, so I thought I'd use chicken broth, garlic and ginger, and a bit of soy sauce? Then top with scallions, bacon and whats left of my roast chicken. I don't think I have much hot sauce kicking around. Husbands will get an egg.

I know this is supposed to be a throw together recipe BUT IM SO NEW TO THIS DISH.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

My plan for dinner is a jook. How much ginger and garlic should I put in with the rice? I have very few asian ingredients around the house right now, so I thought I'd use chicken broth, garlic and ginger, and a bit of soy sauce? Then top with scallions, bacon and whats left of my roast chicken. I don't think I have much hot sauce kicking around. Husbands will get an egg.

I know this is supposed to be a throw together recipe BUT IM SO NEW TO THIS DISH.

ginger: a lot. Like put enough that you think there is enough, then add more.

I don't like to garlic in the cook. I would cut the garlic into slivers and slow brown in a bit of oil until its brown and crispy for topping later.

I like a bit of white pepper in the cooking stage though.

I don't, personally, like soy sauce in jook. I think it's because I grew up with patis (fish sauce) in it so soy just tastes odd in it to me, but I don't add any fish sauce until after cooking and I treat it like salt, that is add to taste before serving. Sesame oil is nice in there if you have it. Cilantro, too, for a vietnamese/thai kind of twist.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Ok. I've got it worked out. Will post pictures tonight.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

packed some for lunch today. Not the prettiest as it was in my bag in a tupperware it's all jumbled but I scallioned, lap cheonged, century egged, and lao gan ma'd.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

OH YEAH, if any of you are unfortunate to live in an area where you cannot get the wondrous concoction that is Angry Lady Sauce/Spicy Chili Crisp/Lao Gan Ma, I worked on a recipe a while ago and posted it on the wiki:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Chili_Crisp_%28Angry_Lady_Sauce,_Lao_Gan_Ma%29

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I fear I would give myself botulism. I have everything except sichuan peppercorns, though, and I can get them close by. There is a huge Asian market here, it's just on the absolute other end of the city. Lazy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

I fear I would give myself botulism. I have everything except sichuan peppercorns, though, and I can get them close by. There is a huge Asian market here, it's just on the absolute other end of the city. Lazy.

It's only a real worry if you plan on holding on to the sauce for a long time. If you plan on consuming it within a week or so, it's not a big deal.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

lol, ok which one of you guys is this?

http://yearofcongee.blogspot.com/

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I jook'd, and it was perfect for clearing up the end of my stomach bug

Green onion, egg, cherry tomatoes and not pictured, black bean sauce

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

So I did jook, but uhhhh I burnt my crispy garlic, having never done it before. And I didn't realize it was so burnt, and that it was such a pervasive flavor. It was really terrible, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the garlic. I will try again, and just buy the loving crispy garlic.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

So I did jook, but uhhhh I burnt my crispy garlic, having never done it before. And I didn't realize it was so burnt, and that it was such a pervasive flavor. It was really terrible, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the garlic. I will try again, and just buy the loving crispy garlic.

Yeah it takes a bit to go from raw to brown but then from brown to black it takes like 3 milliseconds.

Black garlic is a thing though, ironically. Black garlic oil is super tasty on Asian soups but a little bit goes a long way.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I thought black garlic was fermented, not burned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

I thought black garlic was fermented, not burned?

Its actually deeply deeply maillarded not fermented.

• Locked thread