Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advanced healing
Jan 10, 2009

A common conflict.
I'll get to the point.

Every time I brake my car wobbles. I've had the rear rotors fixed and replaced a front wheel bearing. I know next to nothing about cars; I unknowingly bought a lemon for reasons that are irrelevant and have now paid more in repairs than the car. Why? Because, apparently, I am a dumb.

Now, the car doesn't shake when driving, in reverse, etc., just when I brake. Is this a tie rod issue? Stabilizer link? Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you need further car details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
have the front rotors machined.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
First of all, what do you mean by "wobbles?" Are you talking about a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal (and maybe the steering), is the car trying to dive all over the road, is it pitching like a boat in rough water, or what?

Have you had the front rotors checked, resurfaced, or replaced? That's probably the first place I'd look.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

have the front rotors machined.

Rotors are so loving cheap that no one machines them any more. Unless you are a huge poor, you can afford 14 dollar a side rotors.

Shaking under braking is most certainly warped brake rotors. Do front rotors and pads and if your caliper setup has slides make sure they move freely. I don't know how poo poo works unless it's on a 15 year old poo poo box subaru.

advanced healing
Jan 10, 2009

A common conflict.

Space Gopher posted:

First of all, what do you mean by "wobbles?" Are you talking about a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal (and maybe the steering), is the car trying to dive all over the road, is it pitching like a boat in rough water, or what?

Have you had the front rotors checked, resurfaced, or replaced? That's probably the first place I'd look.

Yeah, it has sort of a pulsing sensation. Doesn't do that when driving at low speeds, just anything above 40mph.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

advanced healing posted:

Yeah, it has sort of a pulsing sensation. Doesn't do that when driving at low speeds, just anything above 40mph.

In the brake pedal? In the steering wheel? Through the seat?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hosed rotors, and likely hosed guide pins on your calipers. take the poo poo apart and grease the pins with the right grease and get some shithouse quality rotors on it. that'll cure your issues.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Rotors are so loving cheap that no one machines them any more

The guy who owns the shop we use for cabs tests and machines basically every rotor he comes across. He swears every rotor on earth comes from the factory out of spec unless its some crazy high end poo poo. He pulled a brand new rotor for one of our Rav4s out of the box and put it on the lathe for demonstration. Sure enough that poo poo was off ever so slightly, so he cleaned it up before it went on.

I mean it makes perfect sense that some factory in bumfuck china's tooling isn't perfect

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
First brake rotors. While they're being changed, check (or have your mechanic check) for any play in suspension or steering joints. If it's still doing it after getting the ok on both, get the alignment checked.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

advanced healing posted:

I unknowingly bought a lemon for reasons that are irrelevant and have now paid more in repairs than the car.

You bought a 16 year old GM product. GM-bashing/'they were all lemons' jokes aside it's pretty standard for any vehicle of that age to need a bunch of work, and doubly so for a '90s General. If you like the car enough to keep it just bear in mind you're going to be throwing some money at it on a somewhat regular basis.
That said, warped rotors and/or some front end work is not a particularly big deal.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Also front brakes rotors being too small for the car is a common problem, manufacturers cost cutting usually means sourcing stuff like brakes from whatever was avaliable, which was usually the smaller previous generation. You haven't bought a lemon, you've just bought a 90s car.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
"I bought a cheap used car, what do you mean it requires maintenance?" - Every AI question thread

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

ultimateforce posted:

"I bought a cheap used car, what do you mean it requires maintenance?" - Every AI question thread

To be fair I think everybody goes through that stage of car buying. Eventually they either buck up and learn to do the maintenance or learn that they need to spend a bit more to get a car that doesn't need work.

advanced healing
Jan 10, 2009

A common conflict.
Update: rotor, ceramic pad issue, as all of you suggested. Fixed now, though my silent rage run neath over having to purge my wallet these last few weeks.

(Apparently I also have an antifreeze leak that torrents right onto my starter. Moral of the day: don't be a dumb and be patient when buying a car from a private owner. Also bring a mechanic along with you)

advanced healing
Jan 10, 2009

A common conflict.

ultimateforce posted:

Feel free to step out of this thread.

advanced healing
Jan 10, 2009

A common conflict.

InitialDave posted:

First brake rotors. While they're being changed, check (or have your mechanic check) for any play in suspension or steering joints. If it's still doing it after getting the ok on both, get the alignment checked.

Alignment's next. I knew before buying the car there would be necessary repairs, just didn't expect to purge my wallet so quickly.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

1500quidporsche posted:

Also front brakes rotors being too small for the car is a common problem, manufacturers cost cutting usually means sourcing stuff like brakes from whatever was avaliable, which was usually the smaller previous generation. You haven't bought a lemon, you've just bought a 90s car.

90's GM sedans were loving terrible for this. Pontiac Grand Prix I'm looking at you with your tiny rear end rotors and massive front brake bias.

• Locked thread