Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

Me and my friends play a lot of Catan, and I guess everyone plays Catan, but no one will playr eally nerdy things like arkham horror or android netrunner with me. If you go to like, a board game store where people play, everyone is a really big guy with a bald head and probably a leather jacket, and it's always like being at a nerdy Biker convention.

Do any other yobbers play board games? What are some cool games you've played or ones you really didn't like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i just made a thread about a board game i bought today whadda coincidence

i enjoy board games and play them with friends

Commie NedFlanders

board games are awesome

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

i am he

i like risk and scrabble

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i also picked up power grid today but haven't really sat down with the book yet

Commie NedFlanders

one time i was sitting outside of my apartment reading a book and drinking a dr pepper and this friendly guy walked by and said hi. he was curious about what i was drinking, he asked me if he could smell it. i said okay. he was from sweden, he had just moved to texas for school like 2 months before we met. he invited me over to play catan with his wife and friends, they were chill as heck.

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i am he posted:

i like risk and scrabble

scrabble will always be great risk. not so much

i am he

i play the lord of the rings risk with makeshift rules with my dad

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

D PimpJedi posted:

one time i was sitting outside of my apartment reading a book and drinking a dr pepper and this friendly guy walked by and said hi. he was curious about what i was drinking, he asked me if he could smell it. i said okay. he was from sweden, he had just moved to texas for school like 2 months before we met. he invited me over to play board games with his wife and friends, they were chill as heck.

board games are cool in europe what a topsy turvy world we live in

ron color
arkham horror is really fun, also that haunted house game where a player has to flip out

i am he posted:

i like risk and scrabble

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i am he posted:

you should try risk legacy if you legit enjoy risk each game played adds new rules and makes indelible changes to the game board like you could win the right to rename a city awesomeville or whatever and you write it on the board with a sharpie

i am he

i like risk but probably play it less than once a year because a game takes 3 or so days to complete usually

deep dish peat moss

i am he posted:

every time we play catan my friend gets out his lord of the rings risk and demands that he be allowed to build an orc army in catan. when we tell him no he starts putting the orc pieces all over the board, and talking about how they are raiding us and trying to take our resource cards

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i am he posted:

i like risk but probably play it less than once a year because a game takes 3 or so days to complete usually

risk legacy supposedly is streamlined to make each game much shorter but you're not wrong

dogcrash truther
catan isn't fun in my opinion, but i think that's because of who i play it with

deep dish peat moss

Bo-Pepper posted:

you should try risk legacy if you legit enjoy risk each game played adds new rules and makes indelible changes to the game board like you could win the right to rename a city awesomeville or whatever and you write it on the board with a sharpie

That sounds like it would be awesome as hell if I lived with people who wanted to play a long-term risk campaign with me

dogcrash truther
anyone ever played stoneage? that's a pretty good game, lots of pieces though

dogcrash truther
agricola is cool too

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

risk legacy supposedly is streamlined to make each game much shorter but you're not wrong

im looking into it

i am he

anyone here still use the vanilla scrabble gameboard? im white so my parents have always had the rotating board with raise edges for the tiles and i played on a normal board for the first time recently... it was hell

playground tough
catan is a good game
dominion is a good game

dogcrash truther

Squirrel007 posted:

catan is a good game
dominion is a good game

the problem with dominion and a lot of games like that is i can't shake the feeling that all i'm doing is playing competitive solitaire

Senior Management

I like board games and own board games but I have no one to play board games with

:jerry:

dogcrash truther

i am he posted:

anyone here still use the vanilla scrabble gameboard? im white so my parents have always had the rotating board with raise edges for the tiles and i played on a normal board for the first time recently... it was hell

the tiles kept sliding around on ya, huh? noob

deep dish peat moss

Android Netrunner isn't really a board game, but a card game. Not in the same way that Magic The Gathering is a card game though because you buy one box and it has all the cards. But it's really fun and you should play it if you get a chance. It's a 2 player game where each player plays under a completely different set of rules. One is an evil corporation that has to advance its agenda while protecting its interests and managing publicity, and the other is a cyberpunk hacker who has to aggressively attack and steal from the corporation while upgrading his gear and taking on missions. There's a whole lot of strategy to it, multiple different corporations or hackers you can play as... and the cards are very well done.

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

the tiles kept sliding around on ya, huh? noob

erm.. no. bitch. the only things sliding were bingos out of my porcelain hands and china brain.

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Android Netrunner isn't really a board game, but a card game. Not in the same way that Magic The Gathering is a card game though because you buy one box and it has all the cards. But it's really fun and you should play it if you get a chance. It's a 2 player game where each player plays under a completely different set of rules. One is an evil corporation that has to advance its agenda while protecting its interests and managing publicity, and the other is a cyberpunk hacker who has to aggressively attack and steal from the corporation while upgrading his gear and taking on missions. There's a whole lot of strategy to it, multiple different corporations or hackers you can play as... and the cards are very well done.

sounds cool.

ron color

i am he posted:

yeah old board is how we did it in 2012

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

games I have and have played recently with others and enjoyed

ticket to ride
galaxy trucker

dogcrash truther

Funnypost Collabo posted:

i want to play this

dogcrash truther

Bo-Pepper posted:

games I have and have played recently with others and enjoyed

ticket to ride
galaxy trucker

galaxy trucker is the motherfucking poo poo. love that game.

deep dish peat moss

I'm good with words but not Scrabble in particular and that gives me an advantage over my Plebian friends, except my friend's mom who is a Scrabble Guru and always whoops me. Completely leaves me in the dust every time. My scrabble ranking is as lonely as can be

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

today i bought star wars imperial assault and power grid and intend to play them with friends

dogcrash truther
yeah yeah whatever but galaxy trucker is awesome

playground tough

dogcrash truther posted:

the problem with dominion and a lot of games like that is i can't shake the feeling that all i'm doing is playing competitive solitaire

I see your point, but building decks with the sole purpose of absurd chain moves every turn and annoying everyone else playing is all the fun ill ever need in a board game.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

dogcrash truther posted:

yeah yeah whatever but galaxy trucker is awesome

watching people's ships break apart and you win is the greatest

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

watching people's ships break apart and you win is the greatest

is the digital version good

Commie NedFlanders

dogcrash truther posted:

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i am he posted:

never tried it but i doubt it can match the frenetic energy of building a mish mosh ship while the sand drains through the hourglass

deep dish peat moss

I'd really like to play galaxy trucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther

i am he posted:

...there'sa digital version??

• Locked thread