Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been playing shadowrun and divinity and it's like wow nobody told me that they were making fun top down rpgs again.

I want to talk about those but also your baldurs gates and the like. Click on spots, cast spells, diablo doesn't count (gently caress diablo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I dont like playing games from the perspective of an Angel, so far above the Earth. I was born on soil, and Ill die below it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's neat, though they don't have as good dress-up which is half the point of wrpgs

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

I dont like playing games from the perspective of an Angel, so far above the Earth. I was born on soil, and Ill die below it.

it makes you ask th ehard questions like am I roleplaying my bad rear end black elf girl with the huge tatas or am I roleplaying god???

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In baldurs gate dark alliance you could unlock drizzt who was this super cool dark elf with two swords and it was like why the gently caress would they make you play as the stupid other characters first.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i heard the lore and stuff in divinity is cool, yes no?

Dec 26, 2012

mr sad posted:

its ok i guess? wasnt really the draw for me but i wasnt bored by it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Neverwinter Nights sucked at first, but the Underdark expansion was really good.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i like divinity because it made me realize that top down rpgs could also have fun combat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think we should call them "Ultimalikes."

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
First of all, I liked Ultima 9

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The collectors edition was very good

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having said that, westerners make the absolute worst loving RPGs

-no billion damage items
-no sexy teens with pink hair
-gay magic
-gay armor (too realistic)
-boring gameplay

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

No their not.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
OP: (Playing the worst ISometric RPGs in human history) Wow. Such Awesome. Very Top Down View. Excite. Wow.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

chaos rhames posted:

It's neat, though they don't have as good dress-up which is half the point of wrpgs

:yikes:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

mr sad posted:

For me the draw is that they seem to have very little editorial oversight over what the writers are allowed to put in the games. There's all kinds of messed up left field stuff in the side quests and generally hidden around. The world and the main plot lines never seemed above generic to me.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
obsidian is making a new one called pillars of eternity, op. it looks pretty cool.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Neverwinter Nights sucked at first, but the Underdark expansion was really good.

i particularly liked dying and going to Hell in that expansion

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sir AIDS posted:

OP: (Playing the worst ISometric RPGs in human history) Wow. Such Awesome. Very Top Down View. Excite. Wow.

me irl (but with elves instead of pokemon)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zeal posted:

i particularly liked dying and going to Hell in that expansion
Same but IRL.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

obsidian is making a new one called pillars of eternity, op. it looks pretty cool.

nice, I didn't like new vegas that much (I know I'm a terrible person) but generally they make good games.

divinity made me realize how much I want coop rpgs to become the norm. It's much more interesting when you have another real person in your party.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if i kick started pillars of eternity do i get to access it right now, if i paid the minimum for the game only

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

if i kick started pillars of eternity do i get to access it right now, if i paid the minimum for the game only

i think you had to pledge a certain amount to get a beta key, so i guess check the website and see if you qualified.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

nice, I didn't like new vegas that much (I know I'm a terrible person) but generally they make good games.

divinity made me realize how much I want coop rpgs to become the norm. It's much more interesting when you have another real person in your party.

I don't have friends so I'm playing divinity like a bipolar person i.e. manic hateful sneakthief + brooding introspective death knight. i think this is Correct Gaming

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

How's Hell?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Inflammatory posted:

i hope it is, as i am a backer

zinglon's ale
Nov 29, 2004

uh oh
Spiderweb games are not bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's plenty of cattes and funny computer, so okay I guess.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
Those games are gay. Try a real RPG Like Skyrim

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Hoodrich posted:

Those games are gay. Try a real RPG Like Skyrim

The skyrim mod that makes it top down

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite top down RPG is GTA 2.

Dec 26, 2012

zinglon's ale posted:

Spiderweb games are not bad.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i thot u meant crap liake ys and not garbage like shadowrun and wasteladn2 . gently caress you!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Top Down is perhaps the most boring possible perspective, and making it a slow paced WRPG... Come on. Really?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like that you get all the gear/abilities and stuff of rpgs like the elder scrolls without their completely mind-numbing combat.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

Top Down is perhaps the most boring possible perspective, and making it a slow paced WRPG... Come on. Really?

the worst possible combo

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish all the YS games were on steam, because the ones I played I liked

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I wish all the YS games were on steam, because the ones I played I liked

Ys is epic. I would expect them to make more Steam versions because Origin has sold extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah origin was fun. I have the other one too

• Locked thread