Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
this is the best not comic book adaption, comic book television show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:tviv:

Yeah, Nola's sendoff came a bit out of nowhere and was a bit rushed, but there's not much you can do when actor's schedules get difficult. But what a drat sendoff that was. drat, this show is downright exhausting to watch, and I have no idea how they'll manage to sustain this kind of pace and energy the whole season through. But I'm sure they'll manage it regardless :allears:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
gently caress, that episode is so good. How can this show have such brutal and crazy action sequences, a helluva entertaining story burning from all ends, and fantastic loving cliffhangers?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I really thought Proctor's man was going to bite the dust until he remembered to take his drat glasses off.

Rizza
Aug 24, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I really thought Proctor's man was going to bite the dust until he remembered to take his drat glasses off.

And don't forget the piece of glass stuck in his cheek.

Man, that was the absolute craziest episode- right up there with the MMA guy and the Albino episodes. Who rips a hole in somebody's throat with a Rolls Royce hood emblem then pulls out the whole network of pipes (with tongue attached)?! Fuuu

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I was sad to see Nola go, but when I thought Burton was going to buy the farm, I started to get sort of mad.

<3 Burton

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fatass roadkill was loving metal as hell. I don't know how they're gonna top that one.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Fatass roadkill was loving metal as hell. I don't know how they're gonna top that one.

From season 2, it sounded like the fatass mob boss was not one to be hosed with.

I did sort of want to see a Hood and fatass's hitman fight though. Seemed a waste for him just to shotgun the guy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

life is killing me posted:

I did sort of want to see a Hood and fatass's hitman fight though. Seemed a waste for him just to shotgun the guy

I think it was very fitting. Thug just laughed when Hood said he was going to kill him. Then he gets shot-gunned and gets to see Hood unload a second shot in his face. Dude wasn't worth the fight, he was trash in Hood's eyes.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

I'm not sure there's a single other show on television with the balls to do the episode they did tonight. Goddamn.

A-loving-men. This was a loving season of any other TV show.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just popping in to say I found this thread last night, I'm halfway through episode 1 and I already love Sugar and Job.

I'll marathon this during the week and meet you guys soon. :v:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Wanda :3:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This is the best pulp action/comic book show on TV.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Rizza posted:

And don't forget the piece of glass stuck in his cheek.

Man, that was the absolute craziest episode- right up there with the MMA guy and the Albino episodes. Who rips a hole in somebody's throat with a Rolls Royce hood emblem then pulls out the whole network of pipes (with tongue attached)?! Fuuu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlnBvrV8IW4

I'm just saying, Swayze :rip: didn't need a hood ornament :v: I think the MMA guy fight was my favorite of the show so far just because I kept thinking :stare: he's not stopping :stare:, but this one was also incredible.

Also, Holy poo poo this loving show. I love Brock's arc of coming around to being a badass rule breaker.

Are the other Cinemax shows this awesome?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

red19fire posted:

I'm just saying, Swayze :rip: didn't need a hood ornament :v: I think the MMA guy fight was my favorite of the show so far just because I kept thinking :stare: he's not stopping :stare:, but this one was also incredible.

Also, Holy poo poo this loving show. I love Brock's arc of coming around to being a badass rule breaker.

Strike Back sure as hell is.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mars4523 posted:

I thought it was pretty pointless. There's no tension in a Proctor/Kinaho conflict if season after season Proctor has been always winning and the Kinaho always losing. Burton should have died, or been severely injured, just to deprive Proctor of his presence.

The more I think about this the more it bothers me. The Red Bones have failed at every turn against Proctor so they seem pretty impotent. Even if they were going to write out Nola, they should have killed Burton too or at least hospitalized him like you said. I don't imagine that Kai or Rebecca will die this season so I'm not sure what loss Proctor will suffer due to the Red Bones.

But I'm sure this is all for nothing as Chayton will show up and burn half the town and Kai's meat packing factory / drug lab. Alone. :getin:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

red19fire posted:

Yes

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
jesus christ this episode was loving brutal

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started watching, welp. nice Nolaing you

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
That John Smith guy has some huge loving balls. That was crazy, every line was crazy.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I'm sure the guy who plays Burton is a nice guy and not creepy at all in real life but I have a hard time believing it when I see this grin during the filming of that scene.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm sure the guy who plays Burton is a nice guy and not creepy at all in real life but I have a hard time believing it when I see this grin during the filming of that scene.

Ahaha, it's so incredibly weird to see him smile.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Ahaha, it's so incredibly weird to see him smile.

It's like he's seeing straight into my soul and he now knows my deepest, darkest fears. Also, who would ever believe that this would only be the second most awesome thing about that episode?

:nws: :nws:

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 26, 2015

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

Every behind the scenes thing or twitter post he's shown up in, he's looked to be an absolute sweetheart, but isn't that always the way it goes? The nicest people make the creepiest characters. Kudos to the guy for being able to pull off something that dark. Hopefully after he's done on Banshee (years from now and with the bombastic ending he truly deserves), he'll get more roles outside of the series bit-parts he's had previously.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Just watched it. Nola should've read the OP then she'd know not to gently caress with Burton's glasses.

I think that was possibly the most metal episode of anything I've ever watched.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is Burton a stuntman turned actor in real life? That fight scene was so dynamic. When they got into the car I was thinking "Oh good, now she can't swing the hatchet as effectively" then the camera swoops over the roof of the car and the hatchet blade rips through it a few times :stonk:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Is Burton a stuntman turned actor in real life? That fight scene was so dynamic. When they got into the car I was thinking "Oh good, now she can't swing the hatchet as effectively" then the camera swoops over the roof of the car and the hatchet blade rips through it a few times :stonk:

Good question. Can't find anything on him through IMDB other than he was a Princeton grad.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
He's a blocky enough dude so maybe he boxes or martial arts in his own time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rejutka posted:

He's a blocky enough dude so maybe he boxes or martial arts liberates small countries in his own time.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Not really related specifically to whether or not Rauch was a stuntman before taking the role of Burton (but I don't believe he was, after reading the article), but thought you other Burton fans might like this

http://doseofbuffa.com/2014/03/20/1320/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

life is killing me posted:

Not really related specifically to whether or not Rauch was a stuntman before taking the role of Burton (but I don't believe he was, after reading the article), but thought you other Burton fans might like this

http://doseofbuffa.com/2014/03/20/1320/

Good quote from that interview(keep in mind this was before season 3 started):

"There are times where I am taken aback by the violence. It’s not for the squeamish – it’s a full-on cable show."

lmao when reading this in the hindsight of episode 3

Also there was that one episode with a custom intro, the process of Kai producing some pills, ending on a really good shot of him and his niece. I loved that, wish they had the time/budget to do a unique one every episode.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 26, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Good quote from that interview(keep in mind this was before season 3 started):

"There are times where I am taken aback by the violence. It’s not for the squeamish – it’s a full-on cable show."

lmao when reading this in the hindsight of episode 3

Also there was that one episode with a custom intro, the process of Kai producing some pills, ending on a really good shot of him and his niece. I loved that, wish they had the time/budget to do a unique one every episode.

I do too, though I'm glad they changed it up bit this season.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just marathoned this show in the span of about a week and a half. It's kind of ruined other shows for me. No one ever gets their throat ripped out or gets decapitated by a semi on Luther, what's even the point of it

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
(Re?)Watch Spartacus and Strike Back.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I have not seen Strike Back. I should fix that.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Good call, buddy.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Come back with a trip report when you're done, buddy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also rate your Stonebridge and Scott man crushes, out of a hundred

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I was going to come into this thread to :aslol: at the terrible CG deer but then completely forgot about it after everything else that happened in the last episode. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rocksicles posted:

Also rate your Stonebridge and Scott man crushes, out of a hundred

Scott for whorey sark.

Stonebridge for laser-focus deathbeast.

Buddy.

• Locked thread