Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

ONE MORE DAY, MOTHERFUCKERS. In case you missed it, here's the season 3 trailer I stupidly forget to include:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9giKVV__U

And if you need more now, here's a five minute EPK / shot call for season 3, which includes a look at that thing Sepinwall told you about a day or two ago. Also: Kai vs. Lucas! Chayton in warpaint! Rebecca going dark! Gordon and Carrie tag-team beatdown! Sugar punching fools! Lucas the "alleged" sheriff!

Didn't we already see a pretty good Kai vs Lucas? Where they basically kicked each others' asses to a stalemate when Kai asked him if he hosed Rebecca and then they had a drink of lovely Scotch to bury the hatchet?

I personally loved that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Of course as soon as I saw fat stacks of cash I knew Hood had to go after it. I would really love to see him fight some Navy SEALs or mercs that are former special ops. Anyway the dude from Judge Dredd looks like he'll probably be a decent sort-of villain.

The entire episode was awesome and I also can't wait for the inevitable, probably one-sided fight between Chayton and Hood where Hood gets his rear end kicked for a majority of the time and still somehow wins.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Have they ever told us about Hood's background? Like it's 3 seasons in and we practically know nothing about his early life.

I think the general consensus is that he was a mercenary or former special operations given a hint or two toward the end of season 2. There was Carrie asking him if he had been in the military, IIRC, and he responded, "Something like that." And one or two of the Origins videos from either season 1 or season 2 show him being arrested and interrogated at the police station, and the cops say they can't find anything on him, like he's a ghost.

Oh and early in the first season, Emmett and Brock are talking about Hood fighting, and Emmett asks Brock, "So you're pissed that our new Sherriff knows how to fight?" and Brock answers, "That wasn't fighting, that was loving combat." Which ended up being one of my favorite lines from the show. Now whether that was ACTUAL foreshadowing and hinting at Hood's past from the observation of a trained eye, or just a line uttered by a dude who isn't too thrilled to not be the sheriff himself and is suspicious of Hood, is anyone's guess.

It's pretty clear that he has some combat training, any way you slice it.

e: Quotes and timelines are paraphrased, obviously. I don't remember what specific episodes in which these things were said.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 10, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

In previous threads people kept arguing that he didn't and we had no proof otherwise despite numerous instances to the contrary.

True, there isn't proof. But besides training with Job to be a thief, where else would he learn how to fight? There is clearly a form to his fighting, and he seems trained to me, and thus confident in his ability to win. But it's also true that he could have just been taught by Job to fight and fight dirty.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

poo poo, now I want to see Hood and Job throw down, just to see who would be more brutal.

I think that Job's character is probably underestimated because he's a transvestite, and the show clearly puts forth that idea in a few scenes. But he seems to have some flashy martial arts skills, which leads me to believe that Job was formally trained in martial arts of some sort.

I'd also love to see that throwdown. At least I'd like to see Hood and Job training together--I wonder if they'd show Job just effortlessly beating Hood

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

When he assaulted the church solo in S2 he really showed how dangerous he could be.

I agree, especially when they were about to shoot him and he started kicking rear end and kicked the chair back behind him to hit some dude.

Also in the diner with him cutting some dudes when they made fun of him for being a transvestite.

Lesson: Don't gently caress with Job at all, but especially don't make fun of him being a transvestite.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hoon Lee is American, but (I think?) of Korean descent.

"Oriental" sounds like something someone on the white side of my family would say.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

Burton should have died, or been severely injured, just to deprive Proctor of his presence.

He was severely injured.

If this was any other show, and he wasn't Burton, he'd be loving toast.

ne: Burton does seem to have a knack for being severely injured and just not quitting. He's like a loving pink-shirt-and-bowtie-wearing Terminator.

In fact, goddamn, he reminds me exactly of a loving Terminator from the movies. Never talks, survives grievous injury that no actual human could handle, kills.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 24, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I was sad to see Nola go, but when I thought Burton was going to buy the farm, I started to get sort of mad.

<3 Burton

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Fatass roadkill was loving metal as hell. I don't know how they're gonna top that one.

From season 2, it sounded like the fatass mob boss was not one to be hosed with.

I did sort of want to see a Hood and fatass's hitman fight though. Seemed a waste for him just to shotgun the guy

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Is Burton a stuntman turned actor in real life? That fight scene was so dynamic. When they got into the car I was thinking "Oh good, now she can't swing the hatchet as effectively" then the camera swoops over the roof of the car and the hatchet blade rips through it a few times :stonk:

Good question. Can't find anything on him through IMDB other than he was a Princeton grad.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Not really related specifically to whether or not Rauch was a stuntman before taking the role of Burton (but I don't believe he was, after reading the article), but thought you other Burton fans might like this

http://doseofbuffa.com/2014/03/20/1320/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Good quote from that interview(keep in mind this was before season 3 started):

"There are times where I am taken aback by the violence. It’s not for the squeamish – it’s a full-on cable show."

lmao when reading this in the hindsight of episode 3

Also there was that one episode with a custom intro, the process of Kai producing some pills, ending on a really good shot of him and his niece. I loved that, wish they had the time/budget to do a unique one every episode.

I do too, though I'm glad they changed it up bit this season.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hood is going to gently caress every woman in this show, right down to Brock's ex(?) wife.

He's going to kill everyone and get every girl because he's fake Hood

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Perestroika posted:

It seems pretty likely that this is how reformed nazi wannabe cop proves himself, if I remember correctly he's still hanging out inside the building at this time. So yeah, Siobhan dying and him then taking her spot on the force seems like a probably option. Though I suppose there's still a chance that either the new native guy or Brock is the one who gets it. Or hey, maybe nobody dies and Hood just up and hires him anyway because the department actually has enough of a budget for an additional post :v:

I don't want Brock or Native American Cop to die :ohdear:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp Hood is supremely pissed, maybe as pissed as we've ever seen him. This basically means that Chayton doesn't know it yet, but he's a dead man walking.

I hate that Siobhan is gone but that is what was needed to send Hood over the edge.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

I'm still pissed that they killed off Nola, but killing Siobhan two episodes later sucks so hard. They were the best female characters on the show.

I liked Carrie through season 2, but now she's kind of stale. She'd better heist with the bros for sure.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

The showrunner talked about how they didn't think they could get Odette Annable back this season so they didn't write her into the show. When they found out they could get her for a few episodes they had to shoehorn her in. I liked her character but I think it came down to just not being able to get her long term.

Well she has at least one other project going on...she's in Rush, for one, and I could swear I saw her in a movie recently, and maybe another show.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Roundboy posted:

So the banshie origins episode focusing oh chayton. Did his voice noticeably get deeper when he assumed a leadership role?

It seemed pretty blatant

Seems like it's been as deep as it always has been since he first threw Hood into a wall like he was a rag doll

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Yeah... just watched it online..

He grabs the knife arm of the old man ... "Thats enough" is in classic deep voice.

But every line after that has more facial expression and in a higher pitch. maybe its a more natural speech then everything we hear from Chayton is said with stone face and dripping with murder-rage

... i don't think I was crazy :/

I guess I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to his voice to discern it, but it still seems the same to me. Though you've got a point about his emotions affecting his voice, especially after Tommy dies. He's supremely pissed off, but basically carries his rage like Hood does: brooding, calm, collected. Then you see them release it which rules.

Anyway, yeah, I can see the possibility of Chayton's voice maybe changing as he fights to contain his anger.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I was actually more impressed with how long it took Chayton to give voice to the no-doubt extreme pain in his goddamned leg. I'd have been crying like a little bitch almost immediately, Hood twists the knife for a good 30 seconds and Chayton's stone-faced.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The circling of the sniper in the field in that episode was good, but I agree that it felt a bit aimless and meditative which was a little too jarring for a show like this. Last week's episode balanced artsy camera work in the alt-history with the gritty reality of the present.

The episode in question felt like a filler episode to me. This one felt like one too, but a little less-so. At least there was a short fight with Chayton.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

So will Season 4 be the last season or is it just trimmed down and will keep going?

I hope it's not the last season. But it could be that while it has a loyal audience, most people would still, inexplicably, rather watch obviously-rigged reality shows. Or that whole idea could be my doing because I love this kind of TV and absolutely de-loving-spise reality TV and the fact it inundates television. I'm arguing about nothing, but suffice it to say I just will not forgive the world if Banshee ends so soon.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Don't bother, it's just John Porters back story. Section 20 history that doesn't really carry over.

Not even close to enough titties and gunfights.

How the hell is Richard Armitage even believable as an SAS badass

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly, episodes 3 and 5 set a really high bar for this season that it hasn't really topped yet. That said, Kai's romance really works for me, for some reason. I guess it's because of how unlike him it seems; it's always really easy to sell me on a character having hidden depths that are just completely counter to what you'd expect.

I like the idea of the romance but I still think it feels sort of tacked-on, a feeling which becomes exacerbated when a) they are writing in a familiar trope where ex-husband/brother/father tells woman if she values her life and sanity she should steer clear, and she basically goes, "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat/brother/daddy! I SEE SOMETHING IN HIM! I CAN CHANGE HIM!" and b) any hardcore viewer of Banshee has to be almost certain this poo poo is going up in flames and will no doubt end HORRIBLY for Brock's ex-wife, and c) his ex-wife is dumb anyway, and if she's not dumb, she's bat-poo poo crazy and it's weird she ever married a cop if her next boo is going to be a shunned, former-Amish psychopath who kills people in horrendously brutal ways and still sleeps like a baby at night, and finally, d) she's not the most attractive woman ever seen on this show, but damned if she ain't attractive (unrelated to points a, b, and c or really anything in this paragraph at all).

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 23, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

A) Kai is acting in ways that totally bear out what she thinks of him, so her resistance to everyone telling her to stay away makes sense. It also parallels Jason Hood getting involved with Rebecca pretty nicely.

B) How is that a bad thing? :haw:

C) Again, see A, the Kai she knows is not the Kai the audience knows.

e: D) Completely agreed.

e2: Also on the "why did she even marry a cop" thing, keep in mind she was prank-dialing 911 so her ex-husband would come gently caress her on the job, this is not someone with huge amounts of respect for the law.

I know, I know, I'm just bitching. I love this show, but the Kai and ex-Brock romance is a little much for me to stomach so I need to nitpick it to make myself feel better

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

My favourite scene this season was Rebecca and Burton teaming up and attacking the van. They worked really well together and I thought they were going to become closer allies.

After that scene, I was definitely thinking "Banshee Power Couple" but now...are we even sure Burton's not a eunuch?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Stowe is a loving terminator though. He was kinda having his way with hood and then just dominated inside the van.

I think he had the advantage of surprise and also of close quarters, where a Marine with his training would excel if this show were trying to be like real life, which it totally isn't

I think Hood will totally take him in the almost-inevitable fight this season. It's just that no one was ready for Stowe to actually go all Robert Patrick on their asses in the van. You will note, however, that in the tunnel, Hood popped him good and dazed him long enough to be able to get in the van.

Still not sure how Stowe took like three shotty blasts, though. That's a stretch even for Banshee

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

didn't have a plate carrier on? i mean it's standard issue.

He did have a plate carrier on, you could see it, but whether the SAPI plates were in there is subject to speculation. By the way he took the rounds if they were beanbag rounds, my guess is he had plates in, but beanbag rounds will knock a man on his rear end regardless.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, dude had a plate carrier on it looked like, but whatever the gently caress he was doing just walking around with it on is anyone's guess. Without the plates it's a nuisance, with the plates? gently caress that poo poo. Hated wearing body armor every day and I continue to hate it even though it's no longer in my life. gently caress that poo poo with a fork sideways. He couldn't have had time to get that poo poo on either, he had to have it on already, otherwise it's a mess what with getting it on over his head and making sure it was snug with his torso and any sane person would say gently caress it can't I just go out without it?

Basically, what this boils down to, does this bro just walk around, 24/7, ready to go terminator on some poor wretched fucker's rear end?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is a DARPA robot

Yes, he is a Marine

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

red19fire posted:

The ceramic SAPI plate is made to take one, possibly two, rifle round and shatter. The bean bag, at the range Stowe was shot from, probably did not have enough time to expand and disperse the force of the blast. So I could see the beanbag theory working if the first 2 rounds crack the plate and the third actually connecting to slow him down. Did he have a flak jacket on along with the plate? Those are Kevlar, that could help disperse the force as well.

At the minimum, Stowe should have some broken ribs.

Plate carriers are usually lined with Kevlar anyway. I've only ever seen pilots wear simple plate carriers.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Deakul posted:

If we don't see Chayton strolling back into Banshee with a big bandage covering half of his face and wrapped around his torso... well, I'm going to be mildly upset. :colbert:

Still a little freaked out about the after-credits scene. It's like they are loving with our heads, to get us to ask ourselves, "Is he...is he still alive?!"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hilarious that Stowe just did whatever at this base without any general officers coming to rain on his parade, as often officers of such rank are wont to do when they are bored and want to go make all the poor fucks at the base run like 10 miles for no other reason than esprit de corps. Torture motherfuckers? Why not? I'm somehow autonomous and no higher command has jurisdiction over me! Hoard a ton of money we stole? Why not?

I want to see the inevitable fight between Stowe and Hood.

Also the description in Sickbeard makes it seem like we might get a glimpse into Hood's past, from what made him who he is standpoint. Can't wait.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

It occurred to me as I discussed this show with a friend who is binging through it that Hood is pretty much like Optimus Prime. He gets the poo poo kicked out of him 9 times out of 10 but somehow survives and destroys his enemy in the end.

Besides the show's obvious hyperbolic portrayal of most main characters' fighting prowess, I think the show is also trying to give us the idea that Hood is just one tough bastard. But apparently so is Proctor since he and Hood have fought to a stalemate two or three times.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

You think we'll be losing a main character in the finale?

I hope not, but if we are to lose one, it better not be Job...they can take Carrie, though. Maybe I'm just imagining this but just from Season 2 they seem to have been setting up to off her. You know, she and Gordon separate, hate each other, Gordon spins out of control getting lap dances and getting drunk, they start to reunite, then BAM, Carrie's tortured to death by a rogue Marine colonel she recently spurned and then stole a bunch of money from. She's the only one where it's actually personal with Stowe so he's got a bone to pick already, the money notwithstanding. Five gets you ten, Stowe is going to kill her.

Plus, I mean, who really likes her character anyway? Yeah she's badass but inconsistent, and another thing I've noticed (that in my weird mind supports my above theory) is that she hasn't really been a big player this season other than to date Stowe in the beginning of the season and then help steal all his money.

It seems to me like they are phasing her out in preparation to kill her off.

But then, last week's flashbacks to Hood's introduction to Job that were brought on by guilt, and then Job saying they have a lot of history, but maybe it should just be history now, could really support Job getting killed off. I will probably cry like a big baby.

e: even more support for the Carrie theory: Lucas still loves her I think, and when he walks into the bar and no one is there and then Gordon is there and he asks, "Where's your wife?" to which Gordon answers, "What did you do?"

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 11, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Am I correct in thinking that Hood and I guess Job were doing work for some shady government organization? That is sort of the vibe I got from the flashbacks.

We will found out this week, or at least they will feed us tidbits of his "shadowed past" as stuff to chew on for season 4.

:ninja:edit
I really think it's something like you're saying. Either he was a mercenary like Stowe's pet Navy SEAL, or he was some sort of black ops dude. Would certainly explain his combat skills which translate pretty well to high-level thievery/heisting. Also it seems in the flashbacks Job was not the badass he is now, so maybe Hood taught him to fight?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 11, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sad to see this season end. I was probably more excited for the new season of Banshee than I was for any other show.

Guess the ones who said they'd kill off Gordon were right. But they sure made it look like Carrie would get offed for a few seconds. I was a little surprised they didn't do a Stowe/Hood fight, though I guess it had to be Carrie vs Stowe so they could make people think he'd kill her. Stowe wasn't the terminator in that fight like he was in the heist episode, even with Carrie's fighting prowess I figured he'd have put up a harder fight than that. Oh well.

I'm ready for next season and I want it now please

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mayor Lucas Hood

or

Mayor Kai Proctor????

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I got really sad last night after my fiancee and I went to dinner and went home thinking Banshee would be on, but the season's over and I'd been thinking habitually.

R.I.P. S3 Banshee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Baghdad Country Club seems interesting, I'm apprehensively and patiently waiting to see what that's going to be like.

• Locked thread