Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Bruce Tharpe AMA starting now: http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2rkcz3/r_bruce_tharpe_ama_starts_now/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

If it weren't for Tacos, someone like Jado and Gedo would have to be the loss post of CHAOS.

Which gets me thinking:

YOSHI-HASHI is obviously the loss post of CHAOS as Honma/CNJ are for Sekigun and Tonga is for Bullet Club. Who's the loss post in Suzukigun? It's not really Iizuka and TAKA/Taichi aren't in a lot of their multimen tags.

minoru suzuki is the job guy in his own stable

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

minoru suzuki is the job guy in his own stable

Yeah except Suzuki loses by beating own dudes too much. Suzukigun in general usually lose because they cheat too much.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wrestle Kingdom 9 was the first NJPW show I've seen and I really loved it. What are GFW's plans for it going forward? I assume they aren't going to ship JR to Japan every month, and I hate to say it, but I can't really enjoy wrestling without commentary.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Wrestle Kingdom 9 was the first NJPW show I've seen and I really loved it. What are GFW's plans for it going forward? I assume they aren't going to ship JR to Japan every month, and I hate to say it, but I can't really enjoy wrestling without commentary.

Well it probably depends on how the show does, buyrate wise. As far as JR, I imagine they'll use him for bigger shows. Like the G-1, Wrestlekingdom, BOSJ, etc.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Hakkesshu posted:

Nothing official and everything is kind of hopeful thinking right now, which is why a lot of folks are so strongly anti-piracy on this show. More buys = higher likelyhood they'll do it again. I don't think anyone is expecting this to happen once a month though. Also Meltzer has kind of insinuated Ross might go back to WWE, which I mean... whatever, cool if that's what he wants to do, but selfishly it'd be awesome if he could do this a few times a year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I believe Jarrett said in his F4W interview that the next show he wanted to do as a PPV if it worked out was the G1 Finals in August. If you find yourself into the product though, I'd say at least give a month of World a try next month to see how you like it. It's only $8.40ish.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Hakkesshu posted:

I've found it's not as hard to get used to not understanding commentary as a lot of people think, especially for bigger matches when the japanese commentators will inevitably flip the gently caress out at stuff.

I mean, I don't know what JR and Striker's reactions were to Shinsuke's entrance, but I doubt it was as dramatic as this.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Oh yeah I was going to ask this in the live thread but the forums crapped out:

Is that one finisher REALLY named "One Winged Angel"?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

i mean it's technically called "Katayoku no Tenshi" but yes kenny omega loves video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrb-XFFYXzE

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The idea of JR commentating a BOSJ is a train wreck that I desperately want to see.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have to say Kenny Omega shaving his forearm hair so he can chainsaw the stubble over someone's face is a brilliant heel move.

Also that time he wrestled a 9 year old.

\/\/\/That's what Striker said, so v:shobon:v

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 7, 2015

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

I have to say Kenny Omega shaving his forearm hair so he can chainsaw the stubble over someone's face is a brilliant heel move.

Oh is that what that was? I thought he was just loving around.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

He was loving around.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

KungFu Grip posted:

He was loving around.
Before he did this, Striker did say that he talked to Omega and he said that's what he was doing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mukaikubo posted:

Ah I totally didn't make that connection. Just makes me love Omega even more.

As for commentary, it was very nice to hear JR and Striker calling the matches, but I've enjoyed NJPW in the past with the Japanese commentary. NJPW's commentary style actually reminds me the most of classic JR out of any modern promotion, in that they will really flip the gently caress out in spectacular fashion.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I finished the show today after picking up New Japan World for the month. I'm not sure how long I will keep it because I'm not sure what all I can do with this service or what to even look for but I loved the show and yea just...lots of love for NJPW.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Good Listener posted:

I finished the show today after picking up New Japan World for the month. I'm not sure how long I will keep it because I'm not sure what all I can do with this service or what to even look for but I loved the show and yea just...lots of love for NJPW.

Look for Ishii's matches. All of them.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Good Listener posted:

There's some disappointment about the line ups for the Fantasticamania shows this year. But I find them in general the most pleasantly enjoyable shows of the year. They aren't are full on and intense as normal New Japan shows or US workrate indies for that matter. Just something you laze on your couch and watch.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i wonder if NJPW has any influence on who CMLL sends over because they really got a lot of mediocre guys this year. i guess it's unlikely that the NJPW front office is familiar with who the good midcard workers in CMLL are.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Good Listener posted:

I'd say check out Wrestle Kingdom 7 and 8 if you have time as those shows were good too and you can sort of see how some angles worked out between them.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

cams posted:

Before he did this, Striker did say that he talked to Omega and he said that's what he was doing.

The arm hair stubble thing was brought up on commentary for one of Omega's matches at BOLA months ago, so it's either real or (more likely) a worked statement Omega's been spreading himself for a while.

NienNunb posted:

The idea of JR commentating a BOSJ is a train wreck that I desperately want to see.

I am so into this idea, I was expecting him to be so salty during the Jr. Heavyweight tag title opener and mostly he was just barely saying anything. I want to see him commentate a Ricochet match so bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you don't think you can watch a match with Japanese commentary just give a great Tanahashi match a try. If you aren't in love by the first cry of HIGH FLY FLOW you might be right. I on the other hand can't imagine watching a Tanahashi match without that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MassRafTer posted:

If you don't think you can watch a match with Japanese commentary just give a great Tanahashi match a try. If you aren't in love by the first cry of HIGH FLY FLOW you might be right. I on the other hand can't imagine watching a Tanahashi match without that.

Or any match where Okada wins, for "UUUURAAAAAINMAKAAAAAAAAAH".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

It's not that I can't watch an individual match, but I don't want to sit through like another 4 hour show without being able to understand anything that's being said.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

There is a certain charm to watching a show and just following the flow of the commentary when suddenl some English will burst unexpectedly from the commentators. I still laugh a lot at "Young Bucks GO HOME."

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Skinty McEdger posted:

There is a certain charm to watching a show and just following the flow of the commentary when suddenl some English will burst unexpectedly from the commentators. I still laugh a lot at "Young Bucks GO HOME."

I just rewatched WK9 in Japanese and lost my poo poo when Shinpei used the phrase "Indytaker"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Skinty McEdger posted:

I was watching an early Bullet Club match on World a few days ago, and Anderson cheap-shotted a guy, which led to Shinpei just screaming "drat YOU KARL ANDERSON"

I had to pause the match because I was laughing so hard.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Good Listener posted:

There's lots of different stuff to choose from. If you want to see the most-talked about matches, might probably best to use Cagematch.net to see which matches have high ratings and then search for them on NJPWWorld.

Or you can just randomly click on a name tag and end up watching Hulk Hogan vs Abdullah the Butcher from 1982, which was about as well-wrestled and bloody as you'd expect it to be.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Before I started following more regularly a lot of what I saw of relatively recent Japanese wrestling was KENTA matches, so I lament that we'll probably never hear someone scream "GOOOOOO TOOOOOO SURREEEEEEEEEEEEEEPAAAA~~~~" again. :(

vvv Well then! :dance:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 8, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sticklefifer posted:

Before I started following more regularly a lot of what I saw of relatively recent Japanese wrestling was KENTA matches, so I lament that we'll probably never hear someone scream "GOOOOOO TOOOOOO SURREEEEEEEEEEEEEEPAAAA~~~~" again. :(

It's Shibata's alternate finisher, and he has a team version with Goto

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Germansimp posted:

There's lots of different stuff to choose from. If you want to see the most-talked about matches, might probably best to use Cagematch.net to see which matches have high ratings and then search for them on NJPWWorld.

Or you can just randomly click on a name tag and end up watching Hulk Hogan vs Abdullah the Butcher from 1982, which was about as well-wrestled and bloody as you'd expect it to be.

Some insane person made a giant spreadsheet of recommended matches on NJPW World

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit#gid=0

481 matches going back to 1973

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 7, 2015

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
speaking of insane people and spreadsheets, I cataloged every tag while I was too doped up on cough syrup and extreme coughing to do anything else

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tbW8rozxOyDc9tY6IIgWMYgN9DjwP_Ng5Vygu9MXnls/edit?usp=sharing

"anything else" includes noting vacant tags past the first one or two

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not that I can't watch an individual match, but I don't want to sit through like another 4 hour show without being able to understand anything that's being said.

Yeah, try watching say, WrestleMania in Spanish (assuming you don't speak it). Will the good matches still be good? Sure. Will it be alienating and confusing if you don't remember why a certain spot is important or the backstory to a certain match? Very much so.

For instance: Styles/Naito. Without JR and Striker, a newbie wouldn't necessarily know that the Styles Clash is being sold as a death move because of the recent accidents. You might know it's AJ's finish, and understand why Naito wants to escape it, but you wouldn't know that AJ's being a super-heel and basically threatening to end his career when he goes for it. That's the stuff that gets lost.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Those are all things that are conveyed just as well by having watched the promotion previously so probably not a great analogy with Wrestlemania. as long as the commentators aren't being produced and given new, unique information - which JR and Striker weren't - they're basically not gonna tell you anything you wouldn't know by following the product

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, try watching say, WrestleMania in Spanish (assuming you don't speak it). Will the good matches still be good? Sure. Will it be alienating and confusing if you don't remember why a certain spot is important or the backstory to a certain match? Very much so.

For instance: Styles/Naito. Without JR and Striker, a newbie wouldn't necessarily know that the Styles Clash is being sold as a death move because of the recent accidents. You might know it's AJ's finish, and understand why Naito wants to escape it, but you wouldn't know that AJ's being a super-heel and basically threatening to end his career when he goes for it. That's the stuff that gets lost.

After the introduction it should be easier. Even with AJ/Naito the reaction of the crowd and announcers should cue you in a little bit. This isn't even the case of people with no outside access to the product, if you can post about the show here you can read a few posts about what's going on. If you really don't want to watch the shows in Japanese, that is your choice. It's just that there are several good to great shows per month for the watching.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I feel like we are constantly in this discussion. But anyway, if you just watch the shows on NJPW World and follow this thread before events you'll know more than you need to follow the storylines.

If you just don't like hearing foreign announcers then that's fine, don't watch it.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

i added old archived threads to the op if you want to go back in time and read what stuff that happened at what events

reminder:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sticklefifer posted:

Don't worry, he'll be back in Japan in a couple of years. And that's not meant as a slight on KENTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Star Ratings:

Rambo - * 1/2
Junior Tag - ****
Six-Man Tag - ** 1/4
Eight-Man Tag - **
MiSu vs. Saku - *** 3/4
Makabe vs. Ishii - **** 1/2
Omega vs. Taguchi - *** 3/4