Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
they changed their design to 2015 style. everything's really big and blocky and gradients are highly looked down upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

it's real bad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
slashdot *just* started using gradients, too

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
agreed. everything takes up too much space and is harder to navigate

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jooky posted:

it's real bad

mlyp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

slashdot *just* started using gradients, too

maaaaan, Slashdot.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nice non-minified js noobs

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

akadajet posted:

nice non-minified js noobs

haha oops

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
slashdot is competing with SA for the most outdated site on the Internet still in daily use

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

slashdot is competing with SA for the most outdated site on the Internet still in daily use

kuroshin's still live too i think

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
what's cnn op

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
does it use the power of bootstrap op

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lol the ultra-thin fonts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
great, more stark white with thin fonts. gently caress this trend, it's garbage for readability

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Was about ready to post this because cnn was like the last non-obnoxiously readable news website left and this new design is somehow more of an abortion than MSNBC's

it's still more internally consistent than foxnew's though, which has a new look half-deployed so when you open articles it's random chance if you'll get their old style or the new one

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 3, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just use twitter for news

if you want to see breaking news for an area, go to twitter and use a search query like "near:80202 within:5mi"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

if you want to see breaking news for an area, go to twitter and use a search query like "near:80202 within:5mi"

one of our project options last yaer was something like this, it was meant to be an app used by reporters that trawls twitter looking for relevant breaking news and tell them about it

twitter is really cool for this kinda stuff. i see a fire in the distance? jump to twitter and instantly see like 20 different angled shots of it and know where it is. ownage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Valeyard posted:

one of our project options last yaer was something like this, it was meant to be an app used by reporters that trawls twitter looking for relevant breaking news and tell them about it

twitter is really cool for this kinda stuff. i see a fire in the distance? jump to twitter and instantly see like 20 different angled shots of it and know where it is. ownage

yeah it has pretty much destroyed conventional reporting imo. nobody can scoop twitter ever unless its like CONGRESSIONAL TAX RECORDS type poo poo

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
what's the deal with all the colorless imagery/design?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

I actually worked on the re-design so if you have any questions ill answer them the best i can.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

what's the deal with all the colorless imagery/design?

it allows them to do overly busy imagery/design and grayscale it, then whatever you're moused over POPS IN COLOR so their design interns get to do lots of work but they don't make readers eyes bleed

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jonny 290 posted:

it allows them to do overly busy imagery/design and grayscale it, then whatever you're moused over POPS IN COLOR so their design interns get to do lots of work but they don't make readers eyes bleed

those rectangular graphics don't pop in color when moused over

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

those rectangular graphics don't pop in color when moused over

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol with all the extra elements only half the page is actually visible until you dismiss BREAKING NEWS do you want to make the us edition your profile VIEW OUR TERMS OF SERVICE

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

awwwwwwwwwwww, snap. that's what i get for using safari.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
edit: welp,

The Management fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 3, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

awwwwwwwwwwww, snap. that's what i get for using safari.

mobile safari?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

akadajet posted:

mobile safari?

no the latest safari on the latest yosemite. works for you? i've been having other weird stuff going on especially on these forums and i tested without extensions running

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Squinty Applebottom posted:

I actually worked on the re-design so if you have any questions ill answer them the best i can.

can u pull up the prewritten obits for ppl who aren't dead yet

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

how dead do you feel inside?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

no the latest safari on the latest yosemite. works for you? i've been having other weird stuff going on especially on these forums and i tested without extensions running

ya it works for me on safari

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

can you do this with gps coords?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 424 days!

what was the reasoning behind having the sidebar here top aligned with the main article title?

having that text in a solid block diagonal to the big picture looks really 'off' and means that the words beneath it don't align with anything except themselves. i suppose more news articles will go down the side to fill the empty space but it'll still look a bit funny

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i think that is the new texas license plate btw

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

why are you so terrible at your job

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ahh i see that cnn is now udpadted to web 3.0 wherein NOTHING LINES UP VERTICALLY ANYMORE AND MY ASPERGERS GOES OFF THE CHARTS. closed tab immediately and poo poo myself

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

2015. year of weird dithered boxes on top of video??

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 424 days!
your webkit is a piece of poo poo !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i find a lot of modern web design is more manageable when i zoom out to roughly 80% zoom in firefox.

• Locked thread