Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

courtney_beth posted:

Perhaps Jeff Goldblum was too busy to come back. They didn't even have to mention him or the impeding divorce. All they had to say is "your father is downstairs ready for dinner and thought I should check on you..." and start the scene. Or something. Rachel's life has to fall apart and that includes her stable home life and familiar surroundings.
It's kind of similar to the cascading clusterfuck of when Burt visited Kurt in NYC. "Remember your DEAD MOM? I also have CANCER! HEY I BROUGHT YOUR CHEATING EX! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The second episode showed promise, and it was nice to hear some music that didn't come from a musical for once, they just all sound exactly the same.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh hey! Glee is back! Time to ride this burning crashing train until the end with you all.

I love Little Shop, but really, Suddenly Seymour? Feels a little like scraping the barrel for songs.

I think it is hilarious that Sue made all the new Glee kids transfer as the excuse that they are all just missing.

Holy poo poo Carrot Top as Artie.

"You're not going to be defined by this failure." Peak the-show-realizes-it-sucks. I love it.

"You will beg for death." Yes! Yes! Let's see just how bad can the show get. Come on show, really reach for it.

Yogi and Boo-Boo, ha ha, that's good poo poo. I hope they are still together in the end.

Aand then there was another episode.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
How insane is it that they're introducing a new crop of teens for the last 13 episodes? It's like they've learned absolutely nothing.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

When Glee is over, if you guys still need your weekly dose of Lea Michele and Ryan Murphy madness from the same location Lea is going to be starring in "Scream Queens", Murphy's next project. Possibly because Ryan Murphy literally owns the Glee cast or something, I don't know.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Jesus Christ this show

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Well, Matt Bomer just won a Golden Globe, so award shows have done a poo poo job of reining in his ego.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This was the most Glee episode ever for me. On one hand, the Brittany/Santana endgame I've been waiting for since day one, and they even threw in a Smash joke. On the other hand, the disgusting, infuriating Coach Beaste trans plot and everything to do with Becky.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
If they really did a song from Smash then I would probably forgive everything this terrible show has done.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It was just a tiny throwaway joke, they were in the sheet music store looking for the Smash book.

...which I was extremely excited to get for Christmas

e: I would be excited if they did a Smash song, but they would obviously give it to Rachel, so gently caress that

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Anne Whateley posted:

It was just a tiny throwaway joke, they were in the sheet music store looking for the Smash book.

...which I was extremely excited to get for Christmas

e: I would be excited if they did a Smash song, but they would obviously give it to Rachel, so gently caress that
Yeah I know, I'm still watching. :sigh:

(and that's my go-to piano practice book).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I do want to know why every key is from the evil side of the circle of fifths, and whether we can blame Katharine McPhee.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ugh.

Ugh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've long since realized that I don't like Becky and I'll probably never like Becky. So I was definitely in a state of disassociated annoyance throughout that whole plot.

But I also realize how loving important Becky is as a character and how important this plot was, and Beiste's plot as well, and how Glee is the only drat show out there that is doing anything like this. Seriously, I challenge someone to find any other show other that with balls as steel hard as Glee's, so I can watch that show after Glee ends to get my weekly fix of queer tears and storylines.

Brittany and Santana were great. I'm glad they finally got multiple meaningful conversations and a happy ending after all the...not meaningful...stuff they've been through.

Oh yeah requisite mention: Sam Evans is still amazing. I'm a little disappointed that he didn't mention Unique at all during Beiste's revelation, just as a "Oh so you mean you're like Unique then?" mention. I'd be more disappointed if I didn't know Unique was coming back in a couple weeks though.

:haw: Glee :haw:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I see how the Beiste plot was meant to have good intentions but it just failed so hard. The only good thing about the Becky plot was Daryl (Dale?) breezing in to tell the show how insulting it had been to people with Downs after the last few seasons

Dale (Daryl?) :allears:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BrianWilly posted:

But I also realize how loving important Becky is as a character and how important this plot was, and Beiste's plot as well, and how Glee is the only drat show out there that is doing anything like this. Seriously, I challenge someone to find any other show other that with balls as steel hard as Glee's, so I can watch that show after Glee ends to get my weekly fix of queer tears and storylines.

Go watch the latest episode of Steven Universe, no joke. Dealt with non-standard gender issues with way more tract and grace than Glee ever would.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Home sick with the flu, decided to watch episode 2 3 after not having watched this show since Season 3ish. This sure is a show alright. Santana ranting at Kurt was pretty great :3:

Edit: Well apparently the flu also made me retarded. That was episode 3, not 2.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 18, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am not sure how I feel about the Bestie storyline, on one hand I think is it great that we can have a story like that on tv, and that Glee seems to be at least trying to be the show it once was.
But it is also a little frustrating that it is the big tough woman who is not very feminine, that wants to change gender. It just feels like it plays into the whole thing about her looks, I think it would perhaps have been better to continue with her character as the tough straight woman. I don't know if this made any sense, i just think that that storyline could have been used better for another character.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

I've long since realized that I don't like Becky and I'll probably never like Becky. So I was definitely in a state of disassociated annoyance throughout that whole plot.

I've always admired how Becky is just unrelentingly vile - it's a nice change from the usual sweet-tempered Magical Downie you still see in most media.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I thought the Beiste storyline was well done. Honestly I'm really just enjoying Glee with so many old cast members even if it makes no sense, and appreciate the show being self-aware about that. Especially Quinn, who I've thought more than once we'd never ever see on Glee again, and yet. Santana going off on Kurt was wonderful. I can't wait for Brit and Santana's wedding. Even Tina making jokes about just sitting there and smiling made me happy.

Was Becky's beau a legit good guy or did I miss a story segment wherein it was revealed he was going to take advantage of her in some way? Or was the whole point that it's not cool to think that people with Down's should never have sex or that all of their partners are automatically rapists because of the issues of consent between two differently abled parties?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think the message really was that this guy really does like Becky and really did want to date her and that there really wasn't anything wrong with that. And I hope that message sticks to the end of the show, 'cuz there was that one time they had a guy who legitimately liked Beiste and really did want to date her (him, now, I suppose?) and he turned out to be abusive and stuff :sweatdrop:

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I've always admired how Becky is just unrelentingly vile - it's a nice change from the usual sweet-tempered Magical Downie you still see in most media.
Yeah I mean, I totally appreciate that the character exists, and I do Get The Point of what they've been trying to do with her since day one. But accepting that she's a fully-realized non-stereotypical character also means accepting that she's a really annoying character and that it's not actually very funny or enjoyable to watch her call people bitches and whores at the top of her lungs during every single scene of every single episode she appears in.

It does help that they actually had Santana acknowledge that she is in fact a really toxic person in this episode, so it's not as if the writers haven't noticed it. It also helps that her personality was actually attached to a legit plot for the first time in like a year. :v:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 18, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is that a new thing with Becky? I really don't remember her treating everyone so terribly in the earlier seasons.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Oasx posted:

Is that a new thing with Becky? I really don't remember her treating everyone so terribly in the earlier seasons.

Pretty much always as much as I can remember. As with all characters she may have become more a more cartoonish version of herself, though.

Also I'm glad someone finally said something about Kurt's toothless smile, poo poo looks creepy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It was a thing at least as far back as season 3. I remember she told Rachel to stay away 'cuz she had "loser stink" after Rachel hosed up her NYADA audition.

Again, though, I guess you could argue that she was kind of a stereotypical character before then.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
If I recall correctly, it felt like it was Sue "corrupting" Becky after she became her head assistant Cheerio or whatever the gently caress, but eventually causality was torn asunder and now she was just always a prick.

Which, as was mentioned earlier, is actually probably the more interesting characterization for a Down's Syndrome character on TV, sadly.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

For what it's worth, Becky calling Quinn "Kitty" was one of my favorite moments involving either character.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Melissa Benoist joins Grant Gustin in the growing ranks of Glee alums who graduate and become superheroes. May she fly far, far away from this show and never look back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Vanessa Lengies for Captain Marvel

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Superhero shows for the entire Glee cast. Chord for Booster Gold, Heather and Naya for Harley and Ivy, Darren for Aqualad, the possibilities are endless

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This is the most best thing I've heard in my life pardon me while I lose my mind a little
:woop::woop::woop:

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
If she disguises herself by wearing hats then I'm totally sold.

Also:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

gently caress this poo poo, I think I am actually enjoying this episode? gently caress.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I thought there were five new members? I could have sworn last week when they did duets that the numbers were uneven and fat kid had to sit out.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

loving hell, Kurt. Go for it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What the gently caress did I just watch :sterv:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Apologies for being a week behind, but I'm not buying the Becky storyline. I don't understand how anyone can think it would ever, under any circumstances, be OK for an adult to be in a relationship with someone who is mentally a child. That's kinda sick, regardless of the guy's intentions.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."
Oh wow is Veronica Mars going to have to solve Kurt's murder?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...! posted:

Apologies for being a week behind, but I'm not buying the Becky storyline. I don't understand how anyone can think it would ever, under any circumstances, be OK for an adult to be in a relationship with someone who is mentally a child. That's kinda sick, regardless of the guy's intentions.
Well, evidently, the National Association for Down Syndrome thinks you are wrong and also a stanky poopface.

Way to be a downer on a night with such a delightful cracky Glee episode. :3:

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Not sure whether to like today's gently caress-errythang-Sue-ships-Klaine-bitchy-Schue or to hate it... It's probably best either way to just smile and nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

...! posted:

Yeah, you can't have sex with someone who can't give informed consent. Not just "this feels good" but informed consent. They've set up that it's ~true love~, but in reality, people with Down's are super vulnerable to sexual abuse. Glee has also accidentally made clear that it's not a relationship of equals, and that he likes her because she cannot function normally in society. Sounds like a fantastic basis for a relationship.

• Locked thread