Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Looper posted:

The writing is still hilarious garbage, as are the characters. Avoid, imo

Are the mysteries good at least? I loved figuring them out in Phoenix Wright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Is Endless Legend good or is it for babies?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

Are the mysteries good at least? I loved figuring them out in Phoenix Wright.

The main plot twist is stupid but still better than the ol "surprise it was actually her twin" thing from the first game I guess

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot

Looper posted:

The writing is still hilarious garbage, as are the characters.

You're not wrong. Something about it charms me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the dead space series is a lot of fun but you shouldn't expect horror. it's about shooting things into little pieces with space guns and then stomping the remainder of their bodies into little pieces to make sure they don't get up again. the writing is also terrible, but in a comically overwrought way, so if you aren't a huge sperg about that kind of stuff, you'll probably enjoy the zen art of dismemberment.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
the first dead space scared me in a lot of times

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like I'm missing out by not playing any survival horror crafting zombie whatever the hell games, but are there any that are even worth it?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

No Such Thing posted:

I feel like I'm missing out by not playing any survival horror crafting zombie whatever the hell games, but are there any that are even worth it?

nah

if you just want some general horror-atmospheric games, though, I think The Void is highly underrated. Confusing as hell if you don't watch the first two or three LP's of it to explain what to do, but underrated.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

No Such Thing posted:

the three dead space games, if you can get them for like $5 or $10

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm not interested in anyone else's opinions about games I haven't played.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

No Such Thing posted:

Dead Rising 1 and 2 were a lot of fun, if you consider making smoothies 'crafting'

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Space Engineers? Anyone? It's on sale and I am fairly spergy

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

I've been playing Alien - Isolation and its been hella tight so far.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Is Endless Legend good or is it for babies?

Its a 4x game that basically said "hey man, lets make it so the races are more than just free starting tech and small +/- resource differences" but its big call out on the box feature of quests are often buggy or so inconvenient as to be unfinishable and only matter at all if you're going for the games equivalent of Alpha Centauri's stupid loving become pure light victory and you have to fuckin love really mediocre turn based strategy combat to not just slap auto resolve at every opportunity. Oh and despite having a tutorial pretty much every race has a mechanic that's core to their gameplay that's never explained nor has a tooltip telling you how to use it to compound on some other unexplained systems the game is stacked on.

Pretty fun though, that aside. A solid $10-$15 title assuming you dig the genre and are not currently reliant on your mother for both mobility and sustenance.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

net cafe scandal posted:

I've been playing Alien - Isolation and its been hella tight so far.

That game is dope.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Its a 4x game that basically said "hey man, lets make it so the races are more than just free starting tech and small +/- resource differences" but its big call out on the box feature of quests are often buggy or so inconvenient as to be unfinishable and only matter at all if you're going for the games equivalent of Alpha Centauri's stupid loving become pure light victory and you have to fuckin love really mediocre turn based strategy combat to not just slap auto resolve at every opportunity. Oh and despite having a tutorial pretty much every race has a mechanic that's core to their gameplay that's never explained nor has a tooltip telling you how to use it to compound on some other unexplained systems the game is stacked on.

Pretty fun though, that aside. A solid $10-$15 title assuming you dig the genre and are not currently reliant on your mother for both mobility and sustenance.

this sounds good. i didn't care for endless space, how does it compare to that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hoodrich posted:

this sounds good. i didn't care for endless space, how does it compare to that

Never played it so ??? I can say that the make or break point for the game is does the following race sound cool: A group of cultists that are a) impossible to play until you figure out some of the games semi-hidden bullshit involving city burroughs and happiness and b) an inventive 4x race because you can only ever build one city no take backs and have to conquer the globe by using an endless supply of mediocre but completely free minor factions units given to you after you indoctrinate their city to your death cult.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Hoodrich posted:

ill just make a new thread for every game i want to know about like a normal human, OP

if thats all it taqes to be normal then.. :P

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm not interested in anyone else's opinions about games I haven't played.

i never even heard of teh games in my op until i opened the e shop 5 minutes before i made the thread

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

obstipator posted:

people need to talk more poo poo about games that people are considering buying. the loving goons in the steam thread convinced me to buy so many lovely games that now i barely ever buy games anymore. if the steam goons recommend it, i know its probably poo poo
Steam thread went downhill at the second half last year. It was only a matter of time. Don't fall for the Deadly Premonition port. Get the Box version.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
the AI in endless legend is pretty much dog poo poo which shouldnt be a surprise since it's a 4x. so sp is the normal 4x sp thing of you're basically jacking off your ego by building up a cool empire without any real difficulty

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
how is infamous second son? is it better or worse than the first two games?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dead space 2 is so good and fun. it was RE4 in space and i mean that in the best of ways

what exactly changed in ds3 that it was abominable?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bobnumerotres posted:

dead space 2 is so good and fun. it was RE4 in space and i mean that in the best of ways

It's basically a soap opera love story in space with zombie aliens

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

It's basically a soap opera love story in space with zombie aliens

the story in dead space 2 was bad but you can mostly ignore it and shoot exploding babies

1 was good if only because you were faceless not talking isaac and poo poo just kind of happened around you, it was minimal and just let you soak in the atmosphere of the game. at some point the devs were like "hey..what if the story was in your face all the time" gently caress

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The enemies were already made more frequent in DS2 but in DS3 they went full on trash mobs with shitloads of ammo available, which sounds fun, but it totally makes the game a slog. The early bits in the ship graveyard are cool at least, but once you head to the planet surface it all goes to hell.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

obstipator posted:

people need to talk more poo poo about games that people are considering buying. the loving goons in the steam thread convinced me to buy so many lovely games that now i barely ever buy games anymore. if the steam goons recommend it, i know its probably poo poo
A lot of goons have low standards and don't like having them questioned. This isn't even limited to the Steam thread, there's a good deal of game-specific threads that are just supposed to be a positive feedback loop circle jerk and god forbid you question that game's design, feel or eventual price.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
This is true, but I also would not have played Yakuza or Zack & Wiki if not for goon exposure

Thankfully we have the imp zone now, where proper taste reigns full time

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

how is infamous second son? is it better or worse than the first two games?

I thought it was better than the first two, but it's nothing groundbreaking. There are different power sets and everything is more polished but it's still pretty much just shoehorning superpowers into a third person shooter. You get movement abilities which are pretty epic, though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

the story in dead space 2 was bad but you can mostly ignore it and shoot exploding babies

1 was good if only because you were faceless not talking isaac and poo poo just kind of happened around you, it was minimal and just let you soak in the atmosphere of the game. at some point the devs were like "hey..what if the story was in your face all the time" gently caress

So what you're saying is it's not like RE4 in the best of ways

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
is recettear good? it's on sale and it looks fun

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

rediscover posted:

It's a pretty novel game concept that I liked playing through. Half of the game has you selling stuff in your shop to various customer types with their own hidden price limits, and you can customize your shop and pick what you want to stock. You level up your selling abilities so you can charge more and have more customers per day. The other half is a dungeon crawler where you recruit adventurers from around town with their own play styles and go through multi-leveled dungeons looking for loot, cuztomization items, and fighting monsters & bosses. I liked both of the game's modes, though the dungeon crawling isn't as good or fast-paced as, say, an Ys game, and it can get kind of grindy if you want the really good poo poo- it helps to recruit Charme for that, since she's OP as hell.

The other nice thing about Recettear is past the first few days the story stays mostly in the background, from what I can remember. The music is also hilariously royalty free-ish and gets into your head.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Is Lisa any good?

Lisa is good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

rediscover posted:

It's worth the sale price for sure.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Recettear is stupid and you'll play it for maybe 1 session then never load it again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Invisible, Inc. looks cool but is early access. Has anyone taken the plunge on it that can give an impression of it?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Recettear is stupid and you'll play it for maybe 1 session then never load it again.

i hated it

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

rediscover posted:

Not really. It's boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Looper posted:

So what you're saying is it's not like RE4 in the best of ways

the gameplay is RE4 quality, in terms of fun, controls, enemy variety, etc. the story is a joke and the amount of unskippable cutscenes are annoying and that brings it down.

theres also an upgrade system for the guns like RE4's but it's stupid because the upgrades are so tiny that even when a gun is at max level it's like 20% stronger than the default.

• Locked thread