Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

thank you, i am glad i asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

y/w

Dec 26, 2012

Schnedwob posted:

planetside 2??? :shrug:

i like it. its free so w/e, youll know pretty quick if it isnt your thing

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Frog Act posted:

there's III, IV, VII, and VIII

i remember trying to play VIII as a kid and absolutely hating it. III/IV are supposed to be really good right? these are ports of the DS version with updated graphics.

Old post, but just to clarify, FF 4 and FF 6 are generally considered the Really Good ones. Back before FF7, Square only brought some but not all Final Fantasies outside Japan and renumbered them, so FF4 became FF2 and FF6 became FF3 in the US/EU.

The FF3 on Steam is the original FF3 for the NES (or a remake thereof). FF6 is not on Steam and that is a darn shame.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Are Railroad Tycoon 3 and Sid Meier's Railroads as good as rrt2?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fungah! posted:

it's very bad. the economy's super hosed up and you need to grind like a motherfucker to do anything. the devs are aware of that and their answer's "lol you're playing the game wrong, see ya" and occasionally patching out any way people find to make money

I've enjoyed the couple of hours I've spent on it but the prices are definitely very weird; I've never come close to being able to afford any of the upgraded boats, and there are entire classes of weapons (e.g. torpedoes) that you can't use at all on the starter boat

works out kind of okay as a horror (?) thing, like old resident evils: the game is so broken (?) that you have to run away from monsters rather than fight them

idk, maybe you hit a brick wall at some point right after where I stopped playing and need a bigger ship/bigger guns to continue. that would suck. I've found the cash rewards you get from missions & exploration work pretty well at letting you regularly upgrade your poo poo while still keeping you on the edge of starvation/running out of fuel, tho.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

which of the dynasty warriors games on ps2 are still worth playing?

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

none of them

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DW games are bad and have only recently become tolerable

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I've enjoyed the couple of hours I've spent on it but the prices are definitely very weird; I've never come close to being able to afford any of the upgraded boats, and there are entire classes of weapons (e.g. torpedoes) that you can't use at all on the starter boat

works out kind of okay as a horror (?) thing, like old resident evils: the game is so broken (?) that you have to run away from monsters rather than fight them

idk, maybe you hit a brick wall at some point right after where I stopped playing and need a bigger ship/bigger guns to continue. that would suck. I've found the cash rewards you get from missions & exploration work pretty well at letting you regularly upgrade your poo poo while still keeping you on the edge of starvation/running out of fuel, tho.

idk if it's still that way but buying better boats was outright detrimental for a while. you burnt fuel way faster on them and fuel's a) real fuckin' expensive and b) a game-ender if you run out. that's the problem i ran into, the game expected you to go out and explore but if you got unlucky exploring you basically couldn't bounce back with how expensive poo poo was. also trading's real bad and is basically the only way to scrape by without exploiting poo poo

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
which would you pick: sunless sea or darkest dungeon

i'd like a spooky roguelike to play

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

they're both ok but extremely slow games. sunless sea I like more because it's got more to it than darkest dungeon but it's not really a roguelike, its more about exploration and stories

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

apparently sunless sea is extremely grindy so, the latter

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

sunless sea is a bad game that won't be getting better and darkest dungeon is a good one that will, so darkest dungeon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Those games sound like they're in the same series

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is Hyrule warriors actually good or like good for a Warrioirs game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Looper posted:

Those games sound like they're in the same series

The series is Incomplete games being sold on Steam

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is Hyrule warriors actually good or like good for a Warrioirs game

it's good and there's a lot of DLC to extend your playing time if you're into that

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
has anyone played Toukiden for the vita? its coming out for ps4 at the end of the month and it looks pretty good, kind of like a monster hunter light. just wondering if it was fun.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

apropos to nothing posted:

has anyone played Toukiden for the vita? its coming out for ps4 at the end of the month and it looks pretty good, kind of like a monster hunter light. just wondering if it was fun.

It is Monster Hunter Lite, with a neat Japanese aesthetic. Try the demo first, though.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Yoshi's New Island is on sale. Is it almost as good as the original Yoshi's Island

Dec 26, 2012

not a chance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's boring as hell

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
drat.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that ARPG Grim Dawn is on sale for 50% off right now. anyone played it, and is it worth 12 dollars?

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Dying Light, Evolve, Shadow of Mordor - any of these worth my time?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im liking Dying Light but unfortunately the PVP mode is extreme dogshit. The rest of the game is pretty alright though. Lots and lots of first person platforming, obviously, but it's pretty neat. You can go really fast through the rooftops if you plan ahead, but you can also leap off a building and own yourself because you forgot to check for something soft to land on.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SGR posted:

Shadow of Mordor is really fun. It's like a cross of Assassin's Creed and Middle-Earth

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SGR posted:

Shadow of Mordor is fun if you liked Assassins Creed before it got terrible and/or the Arkham series. Evolve is worth your time if you have 3 friends to play it with and one of them paid for your copy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

NickRoweFillea posted:

Shadow of Mordor is really fun. It's like a cross of Assassin's Creed and Middle-Earth

assassins creed fuckin sucks

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i only played AC2 and i thought it was garbage. would mordor still be good to play?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

does shadow of mordor have the same problem as AC where it's terribly easy and youre never in any actual danger

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

does shadow of mordor have the same problem as AC where it's terribly easy and youre never in any actual danger

More so, combat is Arkham-style. The game likes to throw tons of enemies at you and they hit really hard at first and then you get more health and suddenly fights are just a conga-line of murder. I did not care for it at all and quit when I realized bumping off war bosses was 100% pointless.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Barudak posted:

More so, combat is Arkham-style. The game likes to throw tons of enemies at you and they hit really hard at first and then you get more health and suddenly fights are just a conga-line of murder. I did not care for it at all and quit when I realized bumping off war bosses was 100% pointless.

I haven't played it yet because I'm cheap, but I've heard that the game experience is way better if you simply don't take any health upgrades

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SGR posted:

Absolutely not.

Dec 26, 2012

memy posted:

I haven't played it yet because I'm cheap, but I've heard that the game experience is way better if you simply don't take any health upgrades

i saved most of the health upgrades for last and it was pretty fun. it would have probably been fine with the upgrades though. the issue is more so that once you can reliably pull out the various combos and have a solid set of runes that cover your bases there isnt really any matching ramp-up to challenge you. realistically though you can and should probably just finish the drat game at that point

the warboss killing being hard to make useful in the long run (besides the whole "feed yourself to him a bunch and then kill him for better drops" thing) does bother me because it's a pretty cool mechanic. that and marking being simple enough to make the game considerably easier. im hoping someone less new at this will rip it off and put it in their game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a follow up to Dying Light the first like three hours are pretty awful. Everything seems like a bullet sponge but that's just because you suck. Towards the end of the first area though you finally get guns and decent melee weapons. I'm in the second area and I have a sword that pretty much always one-hits basic bitches, and it's pretty cool to slice a bandit's head off and steal his rifle to shoot his friends.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

For the first hour or so you're actually really vulnerable and can get overwhelmed super easily, and then by the third hour you're an unstoppable death machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

SGR posted:

dying light and shadow of mordor are good. dying light is kind of tedious at the beginning though.

• Locked thread