Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Everyone has probably seen this already so I don't really care about using spoiler tags. If you haven't it's on Hulu go watch it.

I like rewatching TTG every year or so because it's super good and also short, but I want to talk about it because it's easy to miss cool stuff if you just watch a show by yourself and maybe I'll learn something neat about the creator or something here - I don't really have any sort of cinema training so I'm not really good at explaining what I like about particular shots or moments.

I just watched episode 1 and these parts are pretty amazing to me:

- The sheer variety of animation styles and moods in the first minute is so crazy. The rapid zoom in on the map, the gentle wind while the protag takes a bite of noodle, the incredibly bizarre slurping and gulping the matchmaking god does. And of course the incredible dialogue pace that makes the show practically impossible to recommend to normal people

- When the protagonist removes his glasses to look through the scope in first person. Having everything go blurry for a second as you hear him take them off and set them down does a lot to put you in the scene.

- The colors during the background exposition about the Black Cupids are gorgeous. The orange used for the tennis players in particular, and the flat, simple style they're drawn in, owns.

- Ozu and the Protag have really natural dialogue. They talk like nerdy/bookish college students and the stuff they talk about is really easy to relate to and understand. The scene where they're talking about Akashi over shabu shabu has a snappy pace and makes you both really hate the Protag for inflicting his own suffering while still making you think "yeah that sounds like a thing a human being would say" and feel sorry for him since he's actually functioning when he talks to her right after that instead of just being a weird blob person. Same thing when he talks to her about neko ramen in the flash back later.

- There's lots of examples of this but people just move in really amazing, natural ways. People twist and bend as they talk, some characters have a swagger in their step or make lots of hand gestures. No one really just stands there blinking while they chat except sometimes Akashi but that's mostly to accent her personality

- The camera angle in this shot and the one right before it. It's interesting to me because at this point in the show we only know Ozu as a pain in the rear end who has steered our hero down a path of debauchery, with only vague hints that he actually likes the Protag as a person and not just as a victim, but the angle here implies that he's actually a nice guy or at least not a villain.

- Just after that scene, where the Protag is mulling over the matchmaking god/senior's message, there's a few bits where it shows Ozu from his perspective and they're all villainous and deformed again.

- I really love the way they convey the protag's nerves when he's walking over the bridge to ask out Akashi. You can hear his "ok I can do this" breathing when it's in first person, but then when it snaps out to third it's just cartoony teeth chatter and his weird, jagged appearance/movements. Naturally because he's a huge dweeb he thinks that the whole thing went great which, again, makes you want to strangle him but also sorta get where he's coming from.

- The laser pointers on Ozu when he's threatening to jump off the bridge crack me up every time and are such an amazing touch. That poo poo happened all the time at night festivals or fireworks shows when this was made (don't really see them much anymore though)

- I don't have anything in particular to say about the opening and ending themes but they're both great, especially the ending.

I'll post more as I rewatch other episodes natch'. Feel free to talk about other episodes, like I said the show is old enough where I assume everyone has seen it (and if not you should watch it right now). Are there any really good parts I missed?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime I've ever seen as a complete product. It's not necessarily the one I enjoyed the most (though I definitely enjoyed it a lot), but it's just super high quality in every respect.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have been thinking about rewatching it in the near future and when I do I'll post some thoughts in the thread but for now I will say:

Anyone that hasn't seen it should watch it. It's legit one of the best anime I've ever seen and it's the sort of anime that would have changed my life if I had seen it as a dumb, naive college freshman.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the tatami galaxy has a perfect ending

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's especially good for anime which tends to gravitate to no/ambiguous/bittersweet endings.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tbh if you ignore unfinished adaptations ive never felt anime is that much worse at endings than average (endings are hard). that said unfinished adaptations are like 90% of anime so

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Cake Attack posted:

the tatami galaxy has a perfect everything

Thanks Yuasa and Choi

A friend and I are translating the novel Here If you'd like to read it in comparison with the show. They are different enough to warrant it, I think, and the book gives me a better appreciation of the show.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Tell me how the gently caress I'm supposed to watch it when they talk so loving fast. i really want to watch it but I can't

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
this anime is for expert watchers only

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
In phiz they told me I should pause it to read and would probably have to watch it like 2-3 times because the pictures were definitely worth looking at and studying critically, do you have some other secret tactic because I can either keep up with the text or appreciate the art but not both at once on a single watch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just kept up with the text and didn't worry about everything else, you might miss some details but it's not like it just turns into words on a blank screen.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

In phiz they told me I should pause it to read and would probably have to watch it like 2-3 times because the pictures were definitely worth looking at and studying critically, do you have some other secret tactic because I can either keep up with the text or appreciate the art but not both at once on a single watch
I wish HMS Boromir was joking about the "expert watchers only" thing but the only real tactic I can think of is to increase your reading speed by a lot. That's probably why this show isn't as well known as it should be. At least it isn't Monogatari hey let's ask you to read entire paragraphs in a half second.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
yeah I'm a fast reader but it turned the show into work instead of something I could veg out and like eat a meal while watching

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

People always complain about the Sub speed but I never thought it was too fast to read. Maybe years of anime have just tempered my skills like hanzo steel.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
It's only the narration that's really fast. As the show goes on, it tends to drift towards in-scene dialogue which is spoken at a more normal speed. Or maybe you just get more used to it after an episode or two.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

yeah I'm a fast reader but it turned the show into work instead of something I could veg out and like eat a meal while watching

i really had to concentrate and watch teh show. no eating or anything while i watched. i put my headphones on and watched the episode with no distractions

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It's totally worth putting the work into though.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Yuasa anime is like really the only kind of anime that even benefits from that much attention so its not like you aren't getting anything out of watching it really intently

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

laplace posted:

Thanks Yuasa and Choi

A friend and I are translating the novel Here If you'd like to read it in comparison with the show. They are different enough to warrant it, I think, and the book gives me a better appreciation of the show.

This owns thank you!

And the speed definitely drops off a bit after an episode or two, or at least I remember it doing that I guess I'll find out soon.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I watched this anime but I didn't really get a lot of what was going on. I wasn't sure what was supposed to be real and what was a metaphor. I don't really remember the plot. The moth girl was cute though.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I liked it the first time I saw it. I started watching it again some time later and noticed that the only black people in the series are bike thieves, and that pretty much ruined it for me.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Are you saying you don't think black people are smart enough to steal bikes?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Safe and Secure! posted:

I liked it the first time I saw it. I started watching it again some time later and noticed that the only black people in the series are bike thieves, and that pretty much ruined it for me.

Those were literal gorillas.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Those were literal gorillas.

even more racist!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Racist against gorillas.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I watched the Tatami Galaxy after seeing it recommended in the Ping Pong thread, blah blah all hail Yuasa.

I really enjoyed it, but when I tried to introduce my husband to it (because it has themes he'd like and it's super pretty), he just complained about how fast the text goes :( I'm slowly re-watching it though, and there's a bunch of little things I notice now that I didn't catch the first go around. I'm guessing it's just that kind of show, and I've done the same thing with Ping Pong.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tell me how the gently caress I'm supposed to watch it when they talk so loving fast. i really want to watch it but I can't

IIRC the first few episodes share the same breakneck narration but it slows down later. I watched it when it was airing and sad it was based on a novel which I can't read. Oh well it adapted well into a anime series. I think the ending was basically a board reset as it explored all the various social clubs the MC could've joined and even talks about the alt world where he didn't.

I like series focusing on chars after HS as it lets them on different paths either college, p/t work, or even NEET :classiclol:

Also, a lot of references to common culture and JPN traditions which is always interesting. The VAs did a great job w/characterization too.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Alternatively: Learn to read at a not-embarrassing pace while not looking directly at the subs.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Tatami Galaxy is my favorite anime ever but I completely understand that how fast it moves means it's a no go for a majority of people. It's not even the subs thing, it stuffs so much into an episode that I don't expect native speakers to get it. Episodes really should have been an hour long, and if I had infinite talent and money and time I'd go and make a version that everyone could watch because it really is that good of a story and a show.

However, I've had friends eventually make it through the show after I get them to watch the first few episodes over again, and eventually they got on the same wavelength and enjoyed it. It is worth actively viewing and viewing multiple times. Of course, I completely understand not being willing to do that, but you should! It's amazing!

As for me, I now listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed and shortened silences because I feel like nothing else is respecting my time.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I will trust you ping pong guy but I'm going to watch kemonozume first because it's easier

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I will trust you ping pong guy but I'm going to watch kemonozume first because it's easier

This is a good plan.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Kemonozume is also horrifically underrated and a super amazingly good anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've considered a rewatch of the back half but I really don't know how much I'd want to sit through the repetition of the first 6 episodes. I found the protagonist pretty much insufferable and only the hope that he finally gets his poo poo together carried me through that part. Watching that part felt like when I had to read a novel for class that I didn't really enjoy but could appreciate for what it was doing, but still kinda had to force myself through it a chapter at a time. I'm not sure how much my appreciation of it would change having seen the whole thing & going back, but I would probably skip at least some of those early episodes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Like with many stories with this kind of character arc, once you have the perspective of the entire plot, what is first obnoxious becomes more endearing.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

laplace posted:

Alternatively: Learn to read at a not-embarrassing pace while not looking directly at the subs.
The dialogue subs aren't the issue. However it shares Monogatari's habit of flashing incidental phrases all over the screen for a half second at a time. The conclusion I reached after pausing my way through an episode is the same one I did for Monogatari: don't bother, it's a waste of time. In Zetsubou-sensei they were making actual jokes, but for these shows it always seems to be redundant, or white noise from an inner-monologue. I don't recall any cases where it actually added anything to the scene in question.

However, I also don't know that I ever finished watching Tatami Galaxy. Which is strange because I recall enjoying and made it to episode 10? 11? before I just... stopped. I suppose because it's the kind of show that does demand your attention--not gonna much out of it, leaving it on in the background while you make dinner or whatever. You have to be willing to set aside everything else to concentrate, and more to the point, it seemed to work best when I could absorb large chunks of the show all at once. The pacing & nature of the thing is not kind to weekly viewing. So, I don't know, maybe there is some fantastic insight to be gleaned from the stop signs in the background. But it's not bloody likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 11 is the final episode.

I can't think of any time in the show when it just flashes information at the screen though, unless you mean the stuff like all of Ozu's labels in the OP, which you essentially only need to read one of to understand the gag.

Tatami actually does an incredibly good job of giving valuable information in multiple parts of the scenery but never putting things in arbitrary places. What's on screen matters, but nothing is ever 'hidden' in things like roadsigns. You might catch things in the background like Ozu sneaking around or Jougasaki staring towards the room Kaori lives in, and a lot of the placement of scenery creates interesting visual metaphor (like the honwaka episode where everyone except Watashi is seen in a group at all times, even splintered people are always with at least one other person), but you never "miss" anything important to the show if you're just paying attention. It certainly has a lot of replay value in that you catch new things each time, but nothing is arbitrarily hidden, which was part of why it was so impressive and why it deserves your attention.

• Locked thread