Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I know mobas are dumb baby games but Heroes of the Storm has been pretty fun so far. they need to work on their pricing and some people hate the talent gating which is fair, but it feels like Blizz cut down on the dumb spergy item poo poo and made a moba that's just about playin' your dudes and having fun with fun maps with friends.

Haunted Mines is the best map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
its boreing

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I was expecting a "I don't like/dislike thing, I really like/really dislike thing" kind of thread so gently caress you OP, gas this poo poo and gas moba likers

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
$10 to get +0.1 hp/second regen for your character

lmao

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Hoodrich posted:

its boreing

I dunno. I feel like it's less steamrolly than others, so games are pretty important through the whole match instead of one dude rolling through a bunch of dumbs in the first five minutes and dominating the other 25 mins.

qnqnx posted:

I was expecting a "I don't like/dislike thing, I really like/really dislike thing" kind of thread so gently caress you OP, gas this poo poo and gas moba likers

How so? I mean it's not perfect, but it's pretty fun. they need to work on Blackheart's Bay, i think, since it's really the only steamrolly map. Also, dudes that can heal seem really overpowered compared to others. like, gently caress illidan goddamn. It's definitely a game where teamwork and composition has a huge impact on the outcome, though it's hard to tell how much until MMR hits later this month.

A lot of people have issues with the talent gating and prices. I don't personally, but i can see why others would be upset. Some of the skins just aren't worth $10, but I do like my Roller Derby Nova who is basically Rainbow Brite on the unicorn.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

instead of a hero, buy a clue

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I still haven't played it despite somehow getting into the technical alpha ages ago.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

get me into this game

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

get me into this game

Make sure you're signed up for betas in BNet. i think it enters closed beta on the 13th of this month. that's also when they put in proper matchmaking and I think ranked.

Silver Striker posted:

I still haven't played it despite somehow getting into the technical alpha ages ago.

You should! at first it feels like Baby's First Moba which takes some getting used to, but it gets pretty fun once you get used to the style. No items or anything, just knowing your hero and doing teamwork for map objectives.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Axel Serenity posted:

You should! at first it feels like Baby's First Moba which takes some getting used to, but it gets pretty fun once you get used to the style. No items or anything, just knowing your hero and doing teamwork for map objectives.

alternatively, dont play a moba

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
i never understood the hate for mobas but then again I like all games

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Liquid Penguins posted:

$10 to get +0.1 hp/second regen for your character

lmao

they took that away months ago

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

It's poo poo. I'm not reading any posts longer than a line about heroes of the storm.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
The pricing is awful and makes me not want to ever even try to learn the game.

I play a game or two with friends every few weeks since it's super relaxed for a DotA game and I enjoy them well enough.

I'm still baffled at how overpriced everything is and has been since the start of the alpha, though.

Like, early on in LoL's life it took a few games but you at least felt like the top price champions were in reach, they had 2x IP weekends pretty often, and their weekly free champions gave you a pretty decent selection.

Dota 2 has a rad business model and the only really weird thing they've done is design a recent event entirely around buying a $30~ cosmetic.

In HotS you need to unlock some free character slots and even once you finish all your tutorial level garbage you still don't have enough to afford a cool character.

I could see how some people like it though, I'm glad you enjoy games to enjoy them, OP.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah the pricing needs tweaked but at least it's mostly cosmetic now. The talent gating and char slot thing is kind of dumb and needs to be tweaked or removed. I think they'll do like lol where older chars get cheaper as they release more. I think they have two or three still to release for Beta?

Overall I think the actual game is fun, tho, and definitely less rage inducing than others. I don't feel like I've had too many matches where we were rolled so hard that it just felt terrible afterwards

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Do you have to pay for heroes? If that's the case I'm already 100% out

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Hating a videogame would be silly, I simply don't give a poo poo about heroes of the storm

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rexicon1 posted:

Do you have to pay for heroes? If that's the case I'm already 100% out

It's like lol where they have a free weekly rotation and then you buy permanently with either gold earned in game or real monies.

You get gold from daily quests and leveling up heroes but some say they don't give gold fast enough

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can respect that, op

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I do too OP and also think spook mines is the best map :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you play MOBAs you have brain damage

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

It's like lol where they have a free weekly rotation and then you buy permanently with either gold earned in game or real monies.

You get gold from daily quests and leveling up heroes but some say they don't give gold fast enough

Well on the bright side I won't be sucked into another moba wormhole again

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

If you play MOBAs you have brain damage

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
its fag poo poo. for homos

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Axel Serenity posted:

I know mobas are dumb baby games but Heroes of the Storm has been pretty fun so far. they need to work on their pricing and some people hate the talent gating which is fair, but it feels like Blizz cut down on the dumb spergy item poo poo and made a moba that's just about playin' your dudes and having fun with fun maps with friends.

Haunted Mines is the best map

gay

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

yeah, probably

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

its fag poo poo. for homos

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
team xp is a really good idea

having lots of different maps is fun

the characters all feel good to play

all the voice acting kicks rear end

I ride mad blizzdick

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is no acceptable reason to not have all characters unlocked for free in any game in this modern world. But then people line up to defend the League of Legends pricing model, so I guess Blizzard thinks they can just get in on some of that.

I just want Bloodline Champions to come back.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

chumbler posted:

There is no acceptable reason to not have all characters unlocked for free in any game in this modern world. But then people line up to defend the League of Legends pricing model, so I guess Blizzard thinks they can just get in on some of that.

I just want Bloodline Champions to come back.

yeah, I don't get it either, but thankfully HotS still has a a small-enough character listing that you get, like, 1/3 on any given week and the price ranges give you some cheap options to get started.

i'm sure they'll change it based on crazy marketing voodoo with their income from the game. I am not Blizzard so I dunno what they're aiming for. I haven't had too much issue unlocking my "main" dudes though.

honestly, as long as the game's fun and you can play a decent amount for free, I'm not too worried about pricing models since that's kind of an optional "if you want to pay" thing anyway.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I remember it having a dumb glyph system like lol. Does that have any meaningful impact on the game?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rexicon1 posted:

I remember it having a dumb glyph system like lol. Does that have any meaningful impact on the game?

No glyphs but each hero has talents each couple of levels like in wow

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Rexicon1 posted:

People bitched on the forums and they axed it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's a revolutionary game with revolutionary ideas for the MOBA genre.

More than 1 map :monocle:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

qnqnx posted:

This here.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Axel Serenity posted:

No items or anything, just knowing your hero and doing teamwork for map objectives.

I'm suddenly interested. It actually sounds like fun without an insane time investment to memorizing which items you should buy and when... especially since those games have basically one ideal item build for each character anyway.

What is the pricing model like? I get that you buy heroes lol style but what's broken about it atm?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

metricchip posted:

I'm suddenly interested. It actually sounds like fun without an insane time investment to memorizing which items you should buy and when... especially since those games have basically one ideal item build for each character anyway.

What is the pricing model like? I get that you buy heroes lol style but what's broken about it atm?

Gold costs range from 2000 to 10000 gold or, like $10 a hero. Gold is pretty easy to get as you level your player level up to 15 and get some free chars under your belt. Enough to buy one 10k hero or a couple cheaper ones.

After that you get gold from daily quests like "win 3 games" or "play x games as a support hero" and range from 200 to 800 gold. They also stay day-to-day so you can have like 3 dailies at once. Also, like, 20 gold per win.

its really not too bad if you like maiming one or two chats, but some people say the gold payout isn't enough to buy permanent heroes fast enough and they hate relying on the free weekly rotation. They might be right.

I bought the $40 pack that came with, like, seven heroes, a few skins, and mounts. It was a good deal, but other bundles are also $40 and only come with, like, two heroes and their skins which is really, really not worth it.

You don't have to spend actual money but it might take awhile to get a good hero spread with the current payouts.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
its horrible and blizz really needs to fix it or its gonna fail lol

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
dota 2 heroes don't cost anything, it's therefore an infinitely better investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Apparently the gold return to time.invested has diminishing returns. One of my bros who does a psych PhD was like "lol this is more malicious than a drug dealer"

• Locked thread