Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nebiros posted:

The final episode

Holy poo poo guys, here's the last campaign mission. There will be at least one more video of the multiplayer. If anyone has anything I missed they want to see, I'll throw it up. I'll be transcribing the pickups this Wednesday and finishing me re-edits hopefully then as well.

They did kinda get the artillery call right, but not for the reason you thought, and it was still missing certain elements. :v:
And like you said, a Javelin can (in theory) be used against a helicopter, but not like the way it's shown here.

JcDent posted:

And that J-20 launched missile that took down the first one would have probably creamed the bigger part of that formation, if I understand how AA missiles work.
That is probably what would have happened, but thankfully for our :airquote: heroes :airquote:, they are inside a videogame.

Thanks for slogging through the game, guys. At least the devs did manage to make the game end on a high note by finally having Connor getting himself killed*. :keke:

*e: spoilered just in case due to the new page

radintorov fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
They didn't even drop a bomb, the enemy column just exploded, like pressing delete on selected units in an RTS.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

It is shameful for a demon to be working

JcDent posted:

They didn't even drop a bomb, the enemy column just exploded, like pressing delete on selected units in an RTS.

They realised that the American planes didn't have any bombs and so sacrificed themselves for the noble goal of bringing an end to Connor, showing them in a new and sympathetic light.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
This game might have been better had it been like an fps version of Red Alert.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

JcDent posted:

Oh, and I think I mentioned it before, but gee, I'm glad that helicopter charged didn't turn out to be a waste and a slaughter.

And that J-20 launched missile that took down the first one would have probably creamed the bigger part of that formation, if I understand how AA missiles work.

Also, when Habermann did Homefront LP, he also noticed the Wilhelm. Fukking Wilhelm.

It would make sense if that was a J-20, it's actually the Su-47 though, I double checked afterword, which means they're using German AT, Russian fighters, American vehicles and helicopters like that LAV25 and Chinese tanks. The North Koreans are that one guy at the gun range/airsoft field that went full on tacticool without knowing gently caress all. Someone ID that Sub in the bay.

radintorov posted:

They did kinda get the artillery call right, but not for the reason you thought, and it was still missing certain elements. :v:
And like you said, a Javelin can (in theory) be used against a helicopter, but not like the way it's shown here.

The Artillery call was wrong on a few other notes I'm sure, I just figured since they'd hosed everything else up, the fire for effect call was just something they'd heard and wanted to use it. The fact that they have the FO adjust the aim at least told me they knew more than I personally expected. The Jav though, that's only in direct fire mode right? I honestly don't know that much about the system.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nebiros posted:

The Jav though, that's only in direct fire mode right? I honestly don't know that much about the system.
Yeah, a Javelin can hit a helo in direct fire mode, but it's not a very agile missile and it still has a minimum range of 65 meters, so it would not have been able to follow the helo the way it did in the game.
As for how it works, the ultra-brief and less :spergin: way is: it's not a heat-seeking missile where you point it in the general direction of the target until it locks on, but it's more like a TV-guided missile where the operator has to use the command unit to point the seeker head at the target and then tell it where to focus so that it can see it by contrasting its picture against the background, making the process a bit more involved and time-consuming.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebiros posted:

It would make sense if that was a J-20, it's actually the Su-47 though, I double checked afterword, which means they're using German AT, Russian fighters, American vehicles and helicopters like that LAV25 and Chinese tanks. The North Koreans are that one guy at the gun range/airsoft field that went full on tacticool without knowing gently caress all. Someone ID that Sub in the bay.

Well, I'm no expert, and even if I had noticed the forward swept wing, I would have written it off as bullshit. As for military equipment, as far as the spergiest gun database on the net can tell, none of them are actual Korean weapons, many have hosed up markings, don't work the way they should, etc. etc. It's a pretty funny read, all in all.

Strange they didn't include actual vehicles.

radintorov posted:

Yeah, a Javelin can hit a helo in direct fire mode, but it's not a very agile missile and it still has a minimum range of 65 meters, so it would not have been able to follow the helo the way it did in the game.
As for how it works, the ultra-brief and less :spergin: way is: it's not a heat-seeking missile where you point it in the general direction of the target until it locks on, but it's more like a TV-guided missile where the operator has to use the command unit to point the seeker head at the target and then tell it where to focus so that it can see it by contrasting its picture against the background, making the process a bit more involved and time-consuming.

But it's still Fire and Forget, right? Well, the previously mentioned database states that while reload animation is correct, the direct fire is wrong, since the missile apparently goes up in any fire mode.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

JcDent posted:

But it's still Fire and Forget, right? Well, the previously mentioned database states that while reload animation is correct, the direct fire is wrong, since the missile apparently goes up in any fire mode.
Yes, it's fire-and-forget: once the missile is fired, the seeker camera on the nose takes care of tracking the target.
And the differences between top-down and direct mode are in the maximum height achieved and glide path, which is why it has a minimum range of 65 meters in direct mode (according to the manual).

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

JcDent posted:

Well, I'm no expert, and even if I had noticed the forward swept wing, I would have written it off as bullshit. As for military equipment, as far as the spergiest gun database on the net can tell, none of them are actual Korean weapons, many have hosed up markings, don't work the way they should, etc. etc. It's a pretty funny read, all in all.

Reading through a few articles, I'll definitely give the wiki credit for having funny captions and synopses about every inaccurate weapon that shows up in a video game.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

Nebiros posted:

From the little glance we get at her (didn't see her at all when I did my run at the level) she's an Ohio-class SSGN, which would probably have made more difference to that battle than every single thing you do put together.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The game managed to redeem itself and become brilliant by choosing to vaporize Connor.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Ohio class is an SSBN but the Ohio itself is a SSGN due to conversion. Which is the difference between being able to nuke the rebels or just fire tomahawks at them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the enemy Goliath battle really is that unfair. It's surprisingly easy to die for little to no apparent reason even if you think you're doing everything right.

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, the enemy Goliath battle really is that unfair. It's surprisingly easy to die for little to no apparent reason even if you think you're doing everything right.

Given it's a fixed length of time until it hits the tanker, do you actually even need to shoot it, or can you just keep hitting the ECM until you get there? I did my LP off a rental copy and by the time I thought to check I'd given it back.

I'm fairly sure the dying for no apparent reason is that they allowed enemies to get random critical hits, which is like No Don't Do This #1 in a singleplayer shooter.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Evil Tim posted:

Given it's a fixed length of time until it hits the tanker, do you actually even need to shoot it, or can you just keep hitting the ECM until you get there? I did my LP off a rental copy and by the time I thought to check I'd given it back.

I'm fairly sure the dying for no apparent reason is that they allowed enemies to get random critical hits, which is like No Don't Do This #1 in a singleplayer shooter.

I'll give it a shot since I left the game eating up HD space for a reason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Evil Tim posted:

One possibility is that Goliath technically takes damage, but only when it reaches the tanker. The rest of it you're just creating pretty sparks and setting it on fire but the giant RC car is invincible until it crosses the scripting threshold and it can now be blown up. So if you just hit the missile defense endlessly and did nothing else, it would instakill you for no apparent reason at the end.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

One possibility is that Goliath technically takes damage, but only when it reaches the tanker. The rest of it you're just creating pretty sparks and setting it on fire but the giant RC car is invincible until it crosses the scripting threshold and it can now be blown up. So if you just hit the missile defense endlessly and did nothing else, it would instakill you for no apparent reason at the end.

I'd say this. Since the movement is scripted, the Goliath can't die before you let it play out it's ballet.

Plus, just before the Goliath, you have two Humwees that explode immediately to bullets and one objective Humwee that tanks three times as much.

gently caress this game.

And gently caress anyone who ever thought that anyone wants to see norks in humwees. I want to see whatever a nork jeep is, gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

I'd say this. Since the movement is scripted, the Goliath can't die before you let it play out it's ballet.

Plus, just before the Goliath, you have two Humwees that explode immediately to bullets and one objective Humwee that tanks three times as much.

gently caress this game.

And gently caress anyone who ever thought that anyone wants to see norks in humwees. I want to see whatever a nork jeep is, gently caress.

The real North Korean military doesn't have a Humvee equivalent, mostly because the Humvee is a relatively new kind of vehicle concept that bridges the gap between light jeeps and full on scout cars or APCs. The closest comparison in North Korea in terms of use would be a UAZ-469 or one of these Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUVs seen at Kim-Jong Il's funeral.

If you want bigger and armored, there's always the Vodnik.

Edit: According to the Homefront wiki (which is surprisingly large and detailed), there's a decent chance that a real life North Korea like this could have Humvees. On top of capturing them from Americans, there's at least three plants in China making copies.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 25, 2015

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Multiplayer video's about edited, we'll be doing commentary over it if you want to see how bad it is 3 on 3 or whatever. I make no excuses for the gameplay, though by the end we were all pretty much done with the game entirely.

Yes, there were still random pubbies playing the game.

On a seperate note, I'm almost done with the re-edits, it ended up taking longer than I thought because I get distracted easily. We also originally planned to do an uncut playthrough of the game/stream and run it like MST3k, I don't know if it's worth the effort (or bandwidth) but if you guys want to riff on the game as a whole, I'll try to set some poo poo up. Otherwise, it'll probably be the BF4 goons like originally planned.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Wait, the multiplayer still functions? Does anyone actually play?

Evil Tim
Sep 9, 2007

I'd be game for riffing on it, it's not like I don't have some experience doing that already.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thanks for having some actual military knowledge around to mock the game. Looking forward to multiplayer japery, if you can get there.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Glazius posted:

Thanks for having some actual military knowledge around to mock the game. Looking forward to multiplayer japery, if you can get there.

There is a multiplayer video, but it's chopped to hell and doesn't have music right now. We had been debating on commentary, but it's disjointed and boring. Much like the single player.

On a side note, I've had this poo poo uploaded for a while, completely forgot to post it here though. Join Evil Tim, Hornet65 and myself on a magical journey. Sorry about the reused footage in there, turns out the footage got corrupted and my computer literally refused to play the game again for the re-record. This tells me my computer has more sense than I do.

That's the final proper upload aside from slapping some music to the MP video. Join me in about two weeks or so, we'll be doing Call of Duty 2.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebiros posted:

There is a multiplayer video, but it's chopped to hell and doesn't have music right now. We had been debating on commentary, but it's disjointed and boring. Much like the single player.

On a side note, I've had this poo poo uploaded for a while, completely forgot to post it here though. Join Evil Tim, Hornet65 and myself on a magical journey. Sorry about the reused footage in there, turns out the footage got corrupted and my computer literally refused to play the game again for the re-record. This tells me my computer has more sense than I do.

That's the final proper upload aside from slapping some music to the MP video. Join me in about two weeks or so, we'll be doing Call of Duty 2.

Isn't CoD 2 a good game?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

JcDent posted:

Isn't CoD 2 a good game?

It is and that's partially why I wanted to do it. It feels like it gets overlooked a lot, you don't hear much about 2 other than it's MP simulating being caught in an explosive rain. It's also a funny excuse to show how little CoD as a series has actually evolved.

I'm taking requests for anything out there though. If I ever get arsed enough, I'll probably do Disrupter down the road. Other than that, nothing's really planned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebiros posted:

It is and that's partially why I wanted to do it. It feels like it gets overlooked a lot, you don't hear much about 2 other than it's MP simulating being caught in an explosive rain. It's also a funny excuse to show how little CoD as a series has actually evolved.

I'm taking requests for anything out there though. If I ever get arsed enough, I'll probably do Disrupter down the road. Other than that, nothing's really planned out.

Oh, then by all means do it. Unlike CoD1, it's playable on modern PCs and probably my favorite CoD to date - and I never even tried MP. The training opening is hilarious.

• Locked thread