Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That might be another poorly-aged relic of the time and mindset this game was released in - if I recall, there was a big fear at the time, in the circles this game was aimed at, that China was inevitably going to take over everything in the very near future, including either conquering the US or just outright buying it (I don't remember how they were said to be supposed to do that, something to do with buying shares in the national debt? Whatever). That's probably what this and Red Dawn were trying to cash in on before having to edit the Chinese into North Koreans, it's pretty blatant "don't trust them easterners" sabre-rattling.

As for the invincible high tech guerillas vs. a horde of incompetent bunglers that still somehow took over everything, that's pretty much Propaganda 101 - present your target as all powerful, omnipresent, and a threat to everything, yet at the same time abjectly weak and incompetent and easily defeated by your side if the people your propaganda is directed towards would just take up arms already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Masterkeys are often used to blow open door locks, hence the name, if I recall.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

We're never given the option to just turn around and leave.

In an original version of the game, didn't you have the option to leave Dubai whenever you wanted and end the game right then and there? IIRC they took it out because people kept doing it ASAP.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Edit: I was talking Spec Ops and I think GS meant Far Cry 4. Whoops.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 17, 2015

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
As far as I can find, China didn't actually ban or object to at least Mercenaries 1. South Korea did, though, because of portraying the war against North Korea as having gone hot again. Also, Battlefield 4 got banned by China but that didn't stop people from making it, so "China won't like this" isn't exactly a dealbreaker for a game any more.

Of course, video game consoles as a whole were banned from 2000 to 2013, so if you couldn't play Mercenaries on your PC I guess you were out of luck.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 18, 2015

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There's Theatre of War 3: Korea, and I think there was a M*A*S*H video game put out by Fox.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

goatface posted:

I want this. I cannot think of a single way it could ever work.

It should either be a glorious trainwreck of "comedy" adventure, or a boringly bad 2D platformer where you attempt to steal nurses' underwear while avoiding the MPs.

You said this ten days ago but here is footage of the game! Sadly, it's not exactly what you expect in your post.

As for this level and its "new" enemies, I can't shake the feeling the presence of the survivalists was just a token "see? We're showing Americans doing bad things too!" effort from the devs, sort of a lame attempt to preempt accusations of churning out a propaganda game. I'd think it's an unreasonable assumption if not for everything else in Homefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It shows Rianna's stupidity pretty well, too. She freaks out because she "didn't sign up for killing Americans". She's standing in the middle of a compound where the Americans are literally a step below mass cannibalism and rape of their prisoners on the moral scale. Like, the whole stealth sequence is just a really long stream of Jacobs witnessing every atrocity and tiny bit of racism the developers could fit into 15 minutes. I don't think "THEY'RE OUR COUNTRYMEN" is gonna apply.

It's even dumber because right at the gate they said something like they'd let Connor and Jacobs go if they let the survivalists lynch Hopper and rape Rianna, I could be misremembering because I've only read about it instead of playing this piece of crap myself. So that just takes it to "hey don't shoot the people who literally wanted to murder us or worse from the moment we showed up."

• Locked thread