Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yep, this game still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm normally the worst judge of whether or not a game will be lovely just from looking at it, which is why my steam library has over 500 games in it and like 200 of those are objectively terrible, but even I knew to stay away from Homefront. I'm totally cool with ridiculous, implausible plots but drat if every single trailer didn't make it sound dumb as hell. I don't want to get spoiled on anything but I really hope this entire game is like a freeper's fever dream or something.

Without spoiling anything it simultaneously is and isn't. Homefront's...okay, not biggest failing but one of its many, many failings is that it's far too laughable to be taken remotely seriously but it's also far too tepid and dull to be enjoyably insane. I think it would actually have improved things if they had gone full-blown Team America, but instead it's just boring and lovely and your teammates are thoroughly unlikeable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Flesnolk posted:

That might be another poorly-aged relic of the time and mindset this game was released in - if I recall, there was a big fear at the time, in the circles this game was aimed at, that China was inevitably going to take over everything in the very near future, including either conquering the US or just outright buying it (I don't remember how they were said to be supposed to do that, something to do with buying shares in the national debt? Whatever). That's probably what this and Red Dawn were trying to cash in on before having to edit the Chinese into North Koreans, it's pretty blatant "don't trust them easterners" sabre-rattling.

It's kind of funny to imagine a game like this (technology levels not withstanding) coming out in the 80s when it was the Japanese that were going to buy out America wholesale. Just think, we could have had an FPS about the Japanese Self-Defense Army invading the US instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I want to say I remember seeing a trailer for some upcoming movie recently where the plot was that China had secretly embedded hostile country-conquering malware in every electronic device they'd exported to the US and then one day flipped the killswitch that shut everything off in advance of taking over the US because of the debts we owed them or something and they had American collaborators with special armbands and it was all very, very blatantly trying to pander to the frightened-of-foreigners Freeper crowd in much the same way as this game. I cannot honestly imagine why China (or anyone really) would want the hassle of having to manage the US as well as their own country.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

Probably the remade Manchurian Candidate movie? (Original Manchurian Candidate movie was about how Chinese brainwashing was being used by evil Americans...)

Nope! Found it by searching for "movie china shuts down technology," it's called Dragon Day and came out in 2013.

IMDB posted:

When out-of-work engineer Duke Evans and his family try to rebuild their lives in a remote mountain town, their own version of the American Dream is cut short on the day a devastating cyberattack destroys the U.S. as we know it. Every microchip 'Made in China' has been infected with a virus that rapidly shuts down all modern technology. The aftermath happens fast, and as the rule of law, water, and food run out, Duke and his family must use all their wits and the unlikely help of Alonso, an illegal immigrant, to survive this frighteningly realistic scenario.

It has a total score on Rotten Tomatoes of "no reviews for this movie" and no Wikipedia page so I'm assuming it didn't hit the cultural zeitgeist as hard as they hoped to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey now, that's not hard...Republic Commando is an underrated gem of a game, especially considering it's a Star Wars prequels FPS which is a combination that you'd imagine could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Regardless of the latest impending argument over whether Spec Ops: the Line is a golden pinnacle of gaming or overrated trash, you have to admit it's pretty loving poetic that it came out a year or so after Homefront, like some straight up Goofus and Gallant poo poo. "Spec Ops: the Line presents war as fraught and brutal both psychologically as well as physically, and uses its white phosphorus scene to emphasize that point. Homefront enthusiastically shouts 'Korean barbecue!' and makes you fall out of a tower."

• Locked thread