Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

That's right folks, it's time for the official 2015 Something Awful Baldur's Gate Ironman Competition! It is here that true heroes will compete for honor, glory, and the chance to not be killed by wildlife at level 1. So sharpen your swords, review your spell book, and roll those stat dice 200 times cause Ironman is here!

Hall of Heroes

Current Adventurers
Jabor's Rochard is ready to set out from Irenicus' Dungeon after BG1.
Angry Lobster's Iron Backscratcher has cleared Cloakwood and is enjoying the benefits of EVIL.
Tzarnel's Vin has departed Candlekeep.
Mountaineer's Lady is preparing to clear the wilderness of the Sword Coast.
Arivia's Talindra is gathering strength in Beregost.
Netcat's Dio has reached Baldur's Gate.
Nilbog Resident's Cris Saegrim is at the Gnoll Fortress.
Ulvino's Stanczyk is gathering courage to take on the spider horde.
Ilyich's Mr. Kipling has slain Tarnesh.
Comstar the First is setting out onto the Sword Coast.
Orrfield Medic's Iron Archer has cleared Nashkel.
Ferrosol's Redd Shirrt is on his way to the Friendly Arm.
Tag Plastic's Nick Fissure has beaten up Tarnesh and Marl.
docbear's Dunworthy is rolled and ready.
a medical mystery's Jonathan Joestar the JoJo gimmick (1) is readying to take down the Gnoll Fortress.
Semi-mental's Liana has met the Zhentish agents.
Taliesyn's Gwydion ap Don is at the FAI after surviving Tarnesh.
Sworder's Cruithne is rolled and ready.
Levitate's Zarais resting after killing Tarnesh.

The Honored Dead
Mountaineer's Airon died to Iron Throne mercs under Candlekeep.
Tuxedo Ted's Richard was our first Tarnesh death of the thread!
Tuxedo Ted's Foolio Displasius scored a double kill on an Ettercap.
Arivia's Imizael was killed by Silke's Lightning Bolt.
Drizzaw Layers was slain by the wrath of the gods in a storm.

FAQ

Q: Spoilers?

A: Yes, this thread is full on spoilers. This is an Ironman thread, so it's assumed that everyone has probably played the series at least once or twice already. No spoiler tags are necessary.

Q: Is it ok if I narrate my run like a regular Let's Play?

A: This usually ends up being case specific. Obviously we don't want 20 people doing overlapping play by plays of their whole game. However, if you think you can write a solid humorous/dramatic narrative then give it a shot. If people like it, you can continue. If not, you can stop.

Q: What exactly are the rules for an Ironman run?

A: An Ironman run is simple. You do not load the game for any purpose other than continuing where you left off, or in the event of a bug/crash. If you are killed or if you load for any other reason, the Ironman run is over. Re-rolling stat during character creation is allowed.

Q: Are there any rules as to difficulty level/mods?

A: No. You may play on any difficulty or with whatever mods you want. However, if you play on lower than "core rules" or if you use content mods which add OP items or something, then everyone will think you're a big baby.

Q: Is this a competition? Is there any verification process?

A: Not really, and no. There is no prize or prestige to be won besides nerd-cred, and progress is reported purely on the honor system (verification being 100% impractical). However, if you lie about your Ironman run you will have to live with the fact that you are a poopy head. If someone has a truly epic run I may issue an award in the form of a forum upgrade/new avatar. This is an entire non-binding offer and completely dependent upon my subjective judgement.

Q: Do I have to start in BG1?

A: No. You can start at any point you want. However, there is definitely more nerd-cred in starting at BG1, and I will not include anyone who starts at ToB in the Hall of Honor (cause that's for babies).

Q: How do I set up custom portraits?

A: The measurements for player portraits are 38X60 pixels for the smaller portraits (8-bit color runs faster but it can be up to 24 bit color), and 110X170 pixels for the larger portraits. To use a custom portrait, place it in the Portraits directory (in the install directory for the game) and add an S to the end of the small portrait name and an L to the end of the large portrait - otherwise the two names must be identical. The names must be 1-7 letters long, maximum - so the filename with the S or L added to the end is no longer than 8 total characters. The portrait files must be in BMP format.

For example:
XXXXXXXS.bmp for small (38x60, 8-bit)
XXXXXXXL.bmp for large (110x170, 24-bit)

If someone wants to give me the relevant information for the Enhanced Editions I'll include it in the OP.

Other Info and Links

When registering a character please include the name, class, and a screenshot of the character sheet upon creation (the Print Screen button will take a screenshot and deposit it in your Baldur's Gate folder). Irfanview of course is also an easy alternative.

This thread is screenshot friendly! Feel free to post a screenshot or string of screenshots if you want to share an epic battle, a humorous development, or whatever else as long as it's interesting (if you just post eight screens of noober dialogue you will get yelled at).

In the next post is a list of honors to be competed for (if you care) and dishonors to avoid (unless you don't give a poo poo). These are purely for amusement and you may strive for or ignore them as much as you desire.

Characters who complete an Ironman run (any portion) will be moved to the Hall of Honor, and any honors they earned will be listed.

Note to all adventurers: If this thread gets going in full it is possible I will occasionally miss posted updates about characters. When posting an update for your character, please include his/her name and class in bold. For example, Garrick the Assassin completed BG1. Also, if you post updates like "Kornak the Barbarian" has cleared the Nashkel mines, I will update your status accordingly.

Main Baldur's Gate thread over here.

Some custom portraits here: http://www.kirith.com/

The main modding sites for you to start with are:
The Gibberlings 3
Spellhold Studios
Pocket Plane Group

List of mods we like:
*ToBEx - Hardcode hacks to change things normal mods can't.
*BG2 Fixpack - Fix up those bugs.
Assassinations - Extra content, especially for the Evil characters.
*BG1 Unfinished Business - Restoring cut content for BG1.
Unfinished Business - Restoring cut content for BG2.
Almateria's Restoration Project - goon-made mod to restore even more BG2 cut content.
SCS - AI and challenge mod for BG1
SCS2 - AI and challenge mod for BG2
Rogue Rebalancing - Massive overhaul for the Rogue classes, and throws some big extra challenges at your for good measure.
aTweaks - Miscellaneous tweaks, mostly aimed at a more P&P experience, but with some extra danger thrown in.
BG2 Tweakpack - Options for changing your game galore.

*Not EE-compatible.

OP mostly from Chomp8645's last-but-one BG ironman thread.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Note: All honors on this page are purely for entertainment purposes and in some cases to give veteran players something new to try for. Feel free to ignore these completely if you think they are dumb.

Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1

Ironman: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 (requires Ironling)

Irongod: Complete Throne of Bhaal (requires Ironman)

Strategist: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 with the Sword Coast Stratagems mod.

Tactician: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 with the Tactics mod.

Born Hero: Do not reroll your stats during character creation, take the first set given to you (redistribution is ok).

Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).

Double Damage: Complete the game on the highest difficulty.

Overcoming Adversity: Complete the game as a Wizard Slayer, Shapeshifter, Beastmaster, or non-Blade Bard (requires Purist).

Librarian: Find every stat tome in Baldur's Gate 1.

Trap Dodger: Complete Durlag's Tower.

Melee Champion: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 without using any missile weapons.

Conan the Bhaalspawn: Complete the game without ever having an arcane spellcaster in the party

Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.

Iron Party: Do not resurrect any dead party members (stone to flesh and freedom allowed) OR never have a party member fall in battle.

Battlemaster: Kill Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 without summoning any creatures or laying any traps.

Dragon Slayer: Kill Firkraag, the Shadow Dragon, the Black Dragon at Suldanessellar, the Silver Dragon, and the Dragon in the underworld.

Helm's Champion: Kill Saladrex and Demogorgon in Watcher's Keep

Gaxkang's a Wuss: Kill Kangaxx.

Legendary Arms: Acquire the Equalizer, Crom Faeyr, The Wave, The Silver Sword, and the Short Bow of Gesen.

Swiss Valor Award: Complete the game with only neutral aligned characters in the party (lawful, true, or chaotic, must have at least 4 characters, requires purist).

Roleplayer: Do not have a good aligned character and an evil aligned character in the party at the same time (includes PC, requires purist).

Leader of the Underdogs: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 or Throne of Bhaal with a full party of six without using Aerie, Keldorn, Edwin, or Haer'Dalis. {requires purist).

A God Among Men: Complete the game alone. Do not remove or modify the level cap (requires purist).

OP-ium Addict: Play as a Kensai/mage, Kensai/thief, or Cleric/mage

Afraid of Pain: Use Easy Core Rules or another mod to ensure maximum HP upon level up.

Scroll of Wuss: Use a scroll of Protection from Undead or Magic when fighting a lich, demi-lich or vampire.

Don't Hurt Me!: Play the game on a difficulty lower than Core Rules.

Note: Any honors the restrict choice of party members in any way (class, alignment, or anything else) do not apply inside Irenicus' dungeon in Baldur's Gate 2. You may use anyone you want while inside it, but will have to boot the appropriate people once you reach Waukeen's Promenade.

Note: Any honors/dishonors which do not apply to a specific game in the series can apply to any. For example, Double Damage can apply to any game in the series, and you can earn it three times if you go all the way From BG1 through ToB.

Note: If anyone wants to mention stuff that should be edited to include changes in the Enhanced Editions let me know. I'm not sure how good the new party members are and whether they should be discluded from Leader of the Underdogs.

Thanks to Gutrot for all the wonderful badges.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'd been running a game for the past week or so preparing for this thread, and just died last night! So let me claim the first death of the thread:

Died under Candlekeep. I backstabbed one of the Iron Throne guys, the rest turned on me and killed me in moments. Not sure how my 71hp disappeared that fast, but oh well. Things might've gone differently if Dynaheir hadn't got killed by a Phase Spider in the catacombs.

RIP Airon the Fighter/Thief, your stats were too good for this world.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 5, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I want to participate so bad but I dono if I have the time.

Also Roleplayer implies that a good Roleplayer/ing group shouldn't have conflicting alignments in their parties. I always play Evil. Evil is best.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 5, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Welp, you got me, you jerk.

I'm in it again.

Richard, human fighter and soon to dual class into cleric, because I'm boring. But not a ranger, that'd be too boring.

I'll do the ranger/cleric when if Richard bites it.

Running on Tutu with Core difficulty. Double checked my old tweaks/fixes installation and it qualifies for the purist run, fingers crossed. I'm gonna miss the BG2 stats for Jaheira, Minsc, Edwin, and Viconia though. Also I re-rolled a ton so born hero is right out.

Also, another handy link for those participating: an ancient webzone that hosts a bunch of terrible custom portraits for you to use! Relive your favorite fantasy book covers in portrait form! Also at the very bottom are handy links to all the portraits from other Infinity Engine games, so if you want Icewind Dale in BG, or BG in IWD this place is useful. Just remember to save the .bmp file. You gotta click on the image to get to them, the gallery just has jpeg copies that link to them.

Another handy tool for those of you participating: try using the snipping tool for all your screenshot needs. It'd be cumbersome if you were doing an actual screenshot LP but it's just about right for the contributions to this thread.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 6, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yusss, perfect timing now that I'm back at my place and can actually participate. Well, participate this coming weekend, anyway.

Last Ironman I successfully finished Baldur's Gate, including taking down Sarevok mano-e-mano. The question this time is, can Rochard go the distance and finish off BG2 (+ ToB, if I get there in time), or will he get ganked by Drow in the underdark or something?

I can just treat this as a continuation of my previous run and carry over the accolades, yeah? I should look back and dig up what things I actually got.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That didn't take long.

RIP Richard, died to you-know-who. You'd think by now I'd not rush into Tarnesh without full HP. Funny thing was Imoen nailed him with the magic missile wand but it didn't interrupt his casting of Fear at all.

That's it for tonight, but tomorrow I'll actually do that ranger/fighter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm in. Imizael, the Dragon Disciple. Going all evil for the first time if I survive Tarnesh.

edit: whoops I was an idiot for a very obvious reason. to a character editor I go.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 5, 2015

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In the last thread, I did a BG2+ToB with a solo wizard slayer and Demogorgon ended my run. This time I want to try my first trilogy run, hereby I present Iron Backscratcher, the evil Fighter/Thief multiclass.

I complete Candlekeep and go straight to the Friendly Arms Inn, picking Xzar and Monty along the way.

Tarnesh goes down in seconds, then I beeline to Beregost and pick Kagain.

On my way to Nashkel, two worgs appeared and obliterated half my party. drat. When I arrived at Nashkel, I went first of all to the inn to get some rest.

I forgot about that bitch, luckily Xzar tanked her while I turned her into a pincushion. Resurrected Kagain, sorry Monty, we barely knew you.

I trigger the Dorn encounter to recruit him, dumped Monty's mangled corpse in the middle of nowhere and returned to Nashkel. Also, I got ambushed by a pack of wild dogs and had to run to the zone to save my life.

After that, I made a short trip to High Hedge and Peldvale, recruited Viconia and dumped Xzar and Imoen for good.
FInally, I have assembled my Party of Doom but, what do you do with a party full of lvl 1 characters?

Bassilisk hunting! The true gentleman game. Those pesky buggers made my party level up between 3 and 4. Now I can start doing quest safely.

Highlights:
-Survived the first levels, screw you assassins!
-Assembled my final party.
-Got free levels and some loot.
-Edwin saved my bacon when I accidentally triggered Neera's encounter in Beregosh by bossing the lower ranked Red Wizards.

Things to do:
-Kill Dynaheir to stop Edwin's whining.
-Find the lost caravans to stop Kagain's whining.
-Watch out for low rep before doing more evil things.
-Kill more poo poo before going to the Nashkel mines.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 5, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

The purist medal mentioned it allowed Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics. We'll i'm taking that to mean its also fine with BGT since it accomplishes the same thing as Tutu. And I'm a fan of making the games a little harder. So I'm running a setup of BGT, Ascension,Stratagems 28 ( which used to be SCS before the BG1, BG2 and EE versions were merged into one mod ) and fan fixes of Stratagems 28 V1.6. I've also installed some graphical stuff like 1PP 4, Big World Map, Widescreen mod and some other miscellaneous things.

For people who care here is a Weidu log and BiG World Setup INI file if you want an easy way to copy this setup.

I do not really want to play a Tactics or Stratagems playthrough on ironman without an Inquisitor. That leaves 2 options, pickup Keldorn in BG2 or roll one myself. Keldorn takes a while and conflicts with Viconia and I'm not allowed to mod that conflict away. Still I really like Evil Turn Undead. So I rolled myself an Inquisitor, and then rerolled my stats, a few times. Okay a lot of times. I need all the help I can get.

Talk about all the help I can get Stratagems offers you a quick skip past the tutorial of Candlekeep:

Time to get this show on the road.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I would love to take part in this but now that I have boring stuff like a job and a wife and a kid I just won't have time. So I'll have to live it vicariously through you wonderful people. Looking forward to it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Since I got in trouble last time for being too adventurous with backstabs, I'll make someone who stays farther away from the action this time. Lady the Elven Archer it is, then! Going for an all-female party too.

Put two proficiency points each in longbows and shortbows. Will focus on longbows for BG1 then switch to shortbows if I ever make it to BG2. Hopefully the lack of a melee proficiency won't screw me over. Racial enemy is spiders.

I get Imoen and she successfully backstabs Tarnesh, but Lady has to finish the job.

Jaheira joins at the Friendly Arm Inn, but there's some guy following her. We send him to get eaten by hobgoblins.

Neera is recruited in Beregost, then we head over to the light house for Safana. Turns out she only wants to talk to a MAN. Oops!

Instead we head down to Nashkel to kill Neira and recruit Branwen.

Then I have to put on this dumb cursed belt and go back for Safana.

Having another thief in the party allows Imoen to dual-class Mage at level 2.

Let's end today's session with Melicamp dying. Because of course he died.

I've never actually used Safana before. Will she leave the party if I don't go after the treasure? It'll be a while before I'm ready to deal with Sirines and Flesh Golems to get there.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mountaineer posted:

Then I have to put on this dumb cursed belt and go back for Safana.

Oh, clever.

Mountaineer posted:

I've never actually used Safana before. Will she leave the party if I don't go after the treasure? It'll be a while before I'm ready to deal with Sirines and Flesh Golems to get there.

Yes, she will, but this isn't as difficult as you're making it out to be. Jaheira starts with a potion of invisibility. Stealth into the cave (presumably with Safana), go to the treasure trove, loot it, and then drink the invis potion and leave.

Don't need to fight anything at all.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The traps in there will kill her if she just runs in. Guess I'll just try to get a second potion of invisibility or scroll to disable the traps in safety. Comedy option: Try to have Neera cast Invisibility via Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can detect the traps while still staying back in the hall out of sight of the flesh golems. From there you can stealth, run up and disarm the trap, and then hop back in the hall before the stealth wears off.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There's traps? gently caress, EE is going to kill me with its modest changes.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Right, I'm giving this a go.

Liana the Archer reporting for duty. Playing on the iPad version so no mods at all for me.

Edit: can't seem to get images to work on my iPad. What hosting do people use these days?

I've never played an archer nor tried ironman before but I'm hoping the cheesiness will even out that fact that I'm pretty rubbish at BG! Picked up Imoen, Xzar and Monty so far but not much else, although I managed to get caught stealing in Candlekeep which nearly ended my run before it started!

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012

Iron Archer the Archer. Lets see how far he survives.

Orrfieldmedic fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I feel like this gimmick will screw me over every single time but gently caress it I AM A GENTLEMAN

JOESTAR FAMILY "SUCCESSION" IRONMAN GIMMICK

Every time a JOESTAR inevitably dies from my incompetence, I will begin from BG1 with the next JOESTAR in the family line. They will always be human, and their class/stat distribution will reflect in some small way their personality.

I'm using Core Rules and installed elements of the G3 tweakpack; the ones that change things significantly (shapeshifter rebalance) shouldn't come up in these runs, but to be honest I can't remember what I installed, it was a few months ago. As far as I know it was mostly quality-of-life stuff but I guess we'll see!

As the OG JOESTAR HAMON MASTER Jonathan Joestar is a Sun Soul Monk - which is not a fantastic class for BG1 but should be perfectly doable if I'm careful.

Ran through Candlekeep and completed it for a little more exp towards level 2 and a bigger HP buffer against wolves. Thought I might get unlucky with the assassins but they went down without scratching me.

Made it to Friendly Arm and managed to kill Tarnesh without any problems by pulling him into a helpful guard.

Downside of that strategy is that you don't get any exp if the guard delivers the killing blow. :< That's karma for cheesing it.

Also- I checked stats and found I have the change-NPC-classes part of the tweaks installed, so Montaran here is an Assassin and when I pick up Khalid he'll be a fighter/mage.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ok, round 2.

Foolio Displasius, human ranger , destined to wreck some merchant guild or another. Still purist, and this time thanks to being a ranger he didn't need to re-roll, so a born hero too.

Kivan is tribute to team. Imoen too, her magic missile interrupted the mirror image casting this time, he didn't even get a chance to cast horror. Foolio just kinda hung back and failed to hit him with a sling. No proficiency yet, gonna save that for when he duals into cleric.

But how will Foolio handle all the cleric enemies? I remember getting Held by each and every one in a previous Ironman and somehow surviving.

Not pictured this time: the three or four pairs of dire wolves I ran into. The random spawns were not kind this time, blew through a few potions already.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 6, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Ok, round 2.

Foolio Displasius, destined to wreck some merchant guild or another. Still purist, and this time thanks to being a ranger he didn't need to re-roll, so a born hero too.

Kivan is tribute to team. Imoen too, her magic missile interrupted the mirror image casting this time, he didn't even get a chance to cast horror. Foolio just kinda hung back and failed to hit him with a sling. No proficiency yet, gonna save that for when he duals into cleric.

But how will Foolio handle all the cleric enemies? I remember getting Held by each and every one in a previous Ironman and somehow surviving.

Not pictured this time: the three or four pairs of dire wolves I ran into. The random spawns were not kind this time, blew through a few potions already.

How do you have Kivan already? I thought you couldnt get him until you unlocked Cloakwood?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You're thinking of Coran. I'm more wondering how he's going to clear the bandit camp before Kivan gets mad and leaves.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mzbundifund posted:

You're thinking of Coran. I'm more wondering how he's going to clear the bandit camp before Kivan gets mad and leaves.

drat its been a long time since I played BG1. Sigh.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Amazingly, I've never had Kivan get impatient on me. I pick him up as early as possible on nearly every run these days. Coran is pretty great too if you get him early with that mod since you can direct his thief points a little more. He absolutely DOES get impatient if you don't slay a wyvern, though, so watch out. Plus BGTutu interpreted his two points of Large Swords as 2 points in two-handed swords annoyingly enough. Sure, it's not like he can use a shield, but he can't backstab with a two-hander either and he comes set up to be a decent backstabber. If I ever drop the purist attempts and grab him early, I'll shadowkeep him back into longswords.

Semi-mental posted:

Right, I'm giving this a go.

Liana the Archer reporting for duty. Playing on the iPad version so no mods at all for me.

Edit: can't seem to get images to work on my iPad. What hosting do people use these days?

Imgur is pretty simple and popular enough that it probably has some app or another to speed along uploading screens from a tablet. There's also LPix, a host Baldurk set up for use in this subforum.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Oh wow, I remember doing this back in 2011 (Beat Baldur's Gate 1, killed every possible mage in the game). Has there been a thread every year since and I've just missed them?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Okay, now that the thread is up, here's my character for BGEE: Gwydion ap Don, NG fighter.

I lucked out and got an 88 point roll right off the bat, so I'll accidentally be shooting for Born Hero. I'm also playing at the highest difficulty level for Double Damage.

I haven't gotten very far yet. So far, I've simply left Candlekeep, watched Gorian get slaughtered, told Xzar and Monty to bugger off, and met Khalid and Jaheira at the Friendly Arms Inn. Managed to interrupt the mage would-be assassin before he got his first spell off, and Imoen managed to crit him with back-to-back arrows to take him down.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 6, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Chainsawdomy posted:

Oh wow, I remember doing this back in 2011 (Beat Baldur's Gate 1, killed every possible mage in the game). Has there been a thread every year since and I've just missed them?

Almost. Last thread was in late 2013.

Nice stats, Taliesyn. You going to dual to Cleric?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You could include an Honor for completing the EE versions of the series and having the EE characters in your party. Or one for doing it without ever recruiting them cause Dorans a badass OP monster.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I could see an honor for beating BG1 with Rasaad in your party since he's garbage at those low levels. Maybe Neera too since Wild Mages are a huge gamble in ironman. OTOH, Rasaad's quest gets you a 19-Str belt near the end, so he's kind of worth it.

Edit: Blind Leading The Blind - Can only recruit Garrick and Rasaad (requires Overcoming Adversity)

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mountaineer posted:

I could see an honor for beating BG1 with Rasaad in your party since he's garbage at those low levels. Maybe Neera too since Wild Mages are a huge gamble in ironman. OTOH, Rasaad's quest gets you a 19-Str belt near the end, so he's kind of worth it.

Edit: Blind Leading The Blind - Can only recruit Garrick and Rasaad (requires Overcoming Adversity)

Just completing the game as a Wild Mage yourself is a huge gamble and deserves some praise.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Gridlocked posted:

Just completing the game as a Wild Mage yourself is a huge gamble and deserves some praise.

CHARNAME casts Armor - Wild Surge: Flesh to Stone

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Well I'm terrible at this game and have never beaten it without brute force and constant reloading, and have never made it out of the Promenade in BG2 at all. I hold no illusions that I'll make it anywhere meaningful.

Definitely not a Born Hero, qualify for Purist as long as I'm allowed to Ctrl-J my way around known safe areas.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It's fun to see all the Enhanced Edition ironman runs. Maybe this'll be the year that I buy it and try it.

Just a short update for Foolio:
Foolio the Fighter has cleared the Gnoll Fortress and formed a full party.
I decided not to grab Jaheira and Khalid this run. Usually for fighters its a matter of either needing the bracers of dexterity or gauntlets of ogre strength, but BG1 Jaheira needs both. Usually I love having half my party being diving spellcasters and would grab her anyway, but I may as well play a bit differently.

Made my way to Beregost, skipping most of the assassins and such since I had a half-full party.

This Flaming Fist mercenary kindly donated his plate armor to the cause.

Kinda forgot to grab bunches of screens after that. I had Imoen scour Beregost for all the valuables not nailed down and/or on fire and was able to afford that +1 composite bow for Kivan. I stole that one cloak from Algernon first to so the CHA boost would help lower the price.

After that I bought a Stone to Flesh scroll on the cheap from the temple and made my way to Nashkel. Grabbed Minsc at the crossroads and freed Branwen from her statue form at the carnival. After grabbing the Ankheg Plate from the farmlands I started to deal with the assassins, first up was Neira at the Nashkell Inn. She landed a Rigid Thinking on Minsc but aside from that she was toast. Minsc's sword shattered in the battle so I grabbed a spare at the store.

I took the low route to the gnoll stronghold, getting Larry, Darryl, and Darryl's autograph and dealing with Sendai's adventuring party in the process. That studded leather +2 will help Kivan the rare times he has to run into melee. Also grabbed in the same area was that cloudkill scroll, and the Fastest Dart Thrower in the West was no match for Kivan's bow. He got the archery bracers as a prize and is now even more peerless as an archer.

Next screen over was pretty boring except for the +1 halberd in that cave, handy for Kivan mostly just because it won't break randomly. Minsc's backup sword, incidentally, broke somewhere around here so he was stuck using a nonproficient magic longsword looted from Sendai.

The Gnoll Stronghold went down pretty easy too. Gnarl and Hairtooth didn't get in melee range before dying, and the Gauntlets of Dexterity went straight to Minsc. The very handy boost and recent level up giving him proficiency in bows made him a solid archer with his hand-me-down composite bow. The first of the eight Tomes was liberated from its cave and eventually we rescued Dynaheir. I'll stick with her in the party until Imoen dual classes. After that I might drop her and grab corvan for the thievery.

Also pictured are the remains of the gnoll warband. I should have taken the screen before resting, the corpses despawned afterward. That's it for tonight, I think I'll go find that one magic two-hand sword those half-ogres have before tackling the mines, with my luck Minsc would go through five more nonmagical ones before stopping the iron crisis.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 6, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Almost. Last thread was in late 2013.

Nice stats, Taliesyn. You going to dual to Cleric?

That's the plan, yes.

That said, I'm kind of curious to know how long it took Sworder to get that 95 point roll - I don't think I've ever had one that high on anything other than a paladin.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Taliesyn posted:

That's the plan, yes.

That said, I'm kind of curious to know how long it took Sworder to get that 95 point roll - I don't think I've ever had one that high on anything other than a paladin.

I have a 94 point human kensai. It took a while. She's currently chillin in the nashkel mines waiting for kagain to regenerate since he's my designated trap disarmer. Wanted dorn for the mines but I forgot you have to go to the FAI first to trigger his encounter.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
My first attempt at Ironman this year is Mr. Kipling, a neutral evil Elven Assassin.

This is just after killing Tarnesh with a huge backstab.

That's pretty much it so far, next stop is Beregost. Should be level 3 by the time I'm done there.

I'll be attempting to beat both BG1:EE and BG2:EE solo, with a full install of SCS on both games.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Ilyich posted:

I'll be attempting to beat both BG1:EE and BG2:EE solo, with a full install of SCS on both games.

You are a brave brave man, willing to reroll frequently I suppose.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Tzarnal posted:

Vin the Inquisitor

:golfclap:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I was going to give this a go...might take me awhile though. Dunno what kind of character I'll make but I'll try to figure that out this evening! Plan to start with BG1EE on the iPad, we'll see how long this lasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Oh, poo poo. Clever.

• Locked thread