Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I've been fooling around with several characters and I really should be spending time doing other stuff, but I think I will try this at least once this year. Who am I kidding, I've been waiting for this!

Stanczyk the Jester is somewhat a recycled idea from a previous character. Actually, I think this might be the third time I try to RP-Ironman a Jester.

Those lovely stats are the mark of a born hero for sure, but he's having trouble with his chain mail and a few potions. Luckily he will be able to cast spells soon enough and I plan to grab Dorn for a while, since I heard his final quest drops an elven chain.

So far nothing really worth mentioning happened. I wussed the hell out of Tarnesh, and Silke, thespian extraordinaire, actually ate her own lightning (Khalid survived!) which is a first time for me:

Stanczyk is currently hanging around the Jovial Juggler Inn considering if he should buy a few antidotes before entering Landrin's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm, an Ironman thread. I wonder what I can...

Perfect.

Running EE edition, no mods, doing a solo run. I'll take it as far as it can go. I rerolled a whole bunch of times because gently caress you I'm playing a Wizard Slayer named Drizzaw Layers.

I "found" some "helpful" "adventurers" who "donated" their gear to me outside Candlekeep. I am Lawful Good, why do you ask?

HEH. :smug:

After the assassin encounter and steadily ignoring the weird druid and her stuttering husband muttering together in the corner of the Friendly Arm, I beelined to Beregost and did a couple of things there, notably talking with Marl to get an easy 900 experience for that critical first levelup. Haven't done much else aside from Joia's ring for a little extra reputation and Firebead's dumb book.

I'm popular! :downs:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
^^^^^ Solo Wizard Slayer? I hope you get far!

Lady the Archer journeys on. Her new friend Safana wants to loot a pirates's cave nearby, so we get right on that.

Safana officially joins the group afterwards. I hope she won't be disappointed when Lady takes off the cursed belt and reveals she was a lady all along!

Looting the cave means I got the CON tome earlier than usual, putting Lady up to 18 CON. Hopefully I can get some good HP rolls.

After that, we faff about for a while, killing basilisks and such. Once everyone gets to level 4 we finally head for the Nashkel mines.

Mulahey isn't too much trouble. Turn Undead kept the skeletons at bay, Sleep put down the kobolds, and Mulahey fell under a hail of arrows.

Back in Nashkel, Nimbul casts Horror on half the party, but succumbs to fear himself when low on HP. I really should have cast Resist Fear, but I'd forgotten Nimbul could cast Horror. On my last run, I'd backstabbed him before he could cast anything.

The goal now is to clear all the wilderness areas before heading to the bandit camp. It'll be long and boring, but I'll be well prepared to head straight into Cloakwood afterwards.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 6, 2015

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I've been playing an obscene amount of BG lately, so what the hell.

Cris Saegrim (:madmax:), Neutral Evil Half-Elven Blade. Featured here picking up some dex gloves for Kagain.

I've always meant to make a complete rear end in a top hat of a character with that face.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Pretty gutsy using a wild mage in an ironman run. Have you considered Dynaheir instead for a safer option?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Here's Dio, the fake drow solo CE assassin. Currently in BG.

Haven't taken a lot of screenshots but here's some hilights so far:

Right after mines. Owned bitches (One Gift Lost is such a stupid item).

I almost died here because I forgot the chest was trapped. Oops. Managed to quaff a potion of absorption as the bolt made its way back. Poor Ender Sai never stood a chance.

Finally boots of speed. Thanks again, One Gift Lost.

Davaernon decided to melee me for some reason. That didn't really work out for him.

Almost died here. Marek decided to never fail casting despite being poisoned so I got hit by two bolts of lightning and I failed my Horror save.

Well that's it for tonight. No idea how I will handle the palace fight later, so my run will probably end there!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Detoured up north very quick to pick up Ajantis, then started doing some quests before making my way to Nashkel.

First death of the game - Jaheira got taken down by the fancy belt ogre. Ajantis was in bad shape too but just barely managed to survive.

Probably could have been avoided if Khalid had Sleep memorized, but his one slot was still taken up by Identify.

Went into Beregost and cleared the houses of gold and items with Imoen. Picked up Neera temporarily, but I plan to replace her with Dynaheir for a little more security in this run.

Karlat and Silke were taken down pretty quickly and weren't much of a problem.

When doing the spider quest, all of them fell prey to a Sleep and were easily cleaned up, I'll drop by Friendly Arm to cash in on the items after I swing by Nashkel and get more of my party.

Entered Naskel and picked up the hidden Ankheg mail for Ajantis, then entered the inn and fought Neira. I managed to deal enough damage before she held 3 of my party members that the ones left were able to finish her off before she killed anyone.

Party rotation! Khalid and Jaheira are out, Minsc and Branwen in. As said, Dynaheir will eventually replace Neera. We'll leave Neera in that little pit in the Gnoll Stronghold where she belongs.

After returning to Friendly Arm to cash in on the spider quest, here's JONATHAN JOESTAR's state.

Next up: rescuing Dynaheir, getting some swanky gauntlets and one of the tomes in the process.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm playing a Wizard Slayer named Drizzaw Layers.

Hooo boy, I am glad that went how it did.

I know quite a lot about what I'm doing in this game so it's not often that I'm in serious danger. For instance:

Me going into the spider fight in Beregost (note how I do not have enough potions):

Me with the spoils of the spiders having used almost all of my limited supply of potions.

In the Enhanced Edition, some things are more dangerous than others (thanks for stunning me for two minutes Neera, I'm glad you died.)

But that was fine too.

I beat Zordral here through the cunning plan of "tank every spell he casts in the face while I panic". This sounds dumb, but I know his exact spell layout. He wasn't going to kill me even if all his spells landed, and I got enough hits in to make a couple of them fail.

I futzed around in Nashkel some more (note the stylish green armor).

Then I failed to capture the best moment of them all, despite hitting the screenshot key like a madman. I went to the Mines and found Prism and Greywolf. I took Greywolf down easily enough, but he left me wounded. And I fought him during a rainstorm. Anyone who has worn metal armor in a rainstorm in these games knows what comes next.

RIP in peace Drizzaw Layers, dead by random lightning strike. A couple of other people who were watching me may be along in a bit to attest to the wonder of this moment.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Honestly probably the best random death I've seen. I could do nothing but laugh, should have just drank one of his 500 potions.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Death by vindictive weather is amazing.

Anyway, I have to start a new run. My kensai died vs. Mulahey since he got his Hold Person off and froze both the kensai and Kagain.

We'll see what I end up choosing. I want to play something where leveling up actually makes a difference, which either means a spellcaster, monk, swashbuckler, archer, or kensai.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Let's see if I can do better than my high water mark of last time which was the cloakwood if I remember correctly. Anyway meet my first contender for the Iron Man Crown.

Redd Shirrt an Inquisitor and a natural born hero he knew he was destined for greatness after he shanked carbos or possibly carbosed shank.

Having watched his foster father get ganked by some dude in ugly armour he set off in search of some friends at the friendly arm inn. Litttle knowing the great adventures that would await him. probably inside a wolves stomach.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 6, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

RIP in peace Drizzaw Layers, dead by random lightning strike. A couple of other people who were watching me may be along in a bit to attest to the wonder of this moment.

I shed a tear every time a solo contender falls, especially the overcoming adversity ones.

But why was the parody Drizzt clone struck down by god while the sincere clones walk unharmed? For real, that was a terrific end to the character, just amazing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What stats are ok to lower to 3, depending on class? Is there any reason to have an higher than 3 int for anyone not a magic user (or fighting up close Mind flayers)?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

For int, there's a minimum requirement for the all-class protection scrolls like the protection from undead one. Something to keep in mind if you plan on using them. And, of course, it's important to fighters going toe-to-toe with those flayers.
Wisdom I don't think affects anything except bonus priest spells, lore, and the Wish spells; pretty safe to dump if you're not a caster.
Charisma only affects character reactions and store prices, just get some other party member to be the Face and take the top slot in the lineup if you want the best prizes from quests.
There are a few weird exceptions, like Keldorn and Valygar's exclusive armor not actually being exclusive to them if you meet the right stat requirements. Even a monk can wear Keldorn's fullplate if he has the right stats, pretty handy until their innate abilities really take off.

Here's a pretty handy resource at the Play It Hardcore wiki for everyone who wants a refresher on what exactly all the different stats do does. Here's the PiH game index for BG2, too, lots of handy info.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
I really don't have time for this but I can never resist at least trying...

Nick Fissure F/M/T vanilla EE Purist Born Hero might level up sometime in 2016:

Tarnesh down:

Um, and Marl down:

That's it so far :shrug:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I love these threads!

Sadly, I have managed to die to wolves three fuckin times in a row now. Not going to post anything until I at least make it to lvl3.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I haven't played a proper game of Baldur's Gate in something like a decade. And I don't actually remember what all mods I have installed (though I'm pretty sure I have, at least, both SCSes, and I know I have the one that randomly relocates most of the magic items in the game). I've also not really messed around with anything that didn't have 'kensai' or 'swashbuckler' in the name.

So this is the perfect opportunity to embarrass myself attain glory!

Definitely not Purist, definitely not the one that says you don't reroll your stats a lot, oh, and this isn't EE.

So much embarrassment glory.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Imizael is dead. Silke, Thespian Extraordinare blew her and Khalid up with a single lightning bolt.

Then I made an abortive berserker. By abortive I mean I had my two-handed sword explode while fighting Carbos in Candlekeep which is the worst start to any run possible. And there were no more for sale!

So, meet Talindra, Elf Swashbuckler. She's made it out of Candlekeep, picked up Khalid and Jaheira at the FAI, and is now loving around Beregost. She couldn't pickpocket Algernon for his cloak for some reason, which was weird. Also Neera blew herself up in her introductory fight, so that was pretty hilarious. Time to play some more!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

She couldn't pickpocket Algernon for his cloak for some reason, which was weird.

I think you gotta have a minimum 50 in pickpocket to even attempt it.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Iron Archer survived to the friendly arm inn, and did most of the quests in Beregost that gave pretty good rewards.

The only thing to note in that area....

RIP Melicamp

Other then that, made it to Nashkel just fine.

And will be doing the mines next.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

I think you gotta have a minimum 50 in pickpocket to even attempt it.

It wasn't until I levelled up and put some points into thief skills that I realized what the issue was. I installed the component for using thief skills in armour from the fixpack. Took my armour off and had no problems first try.

Speaking of, does anyone know the max lock picking you should have for BG1 and 2? EE, if it matters.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Iron Archer managed to hit level 2 before going into the mines, must be a good sign.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Arivia posted:

It wasn't until I levelled up and put some points into thief skills that I realized what the issue was. I installed the component for using thief skills in armour from the fixpack. Took my armour off and had no problems first try.

Speaking of, does anyone know the max lock picking you should have for BG1 and 2? EE, if it matters.

Lockpicking at 100 will open any lock that doesn't require a key in both games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dootman posted:

Lockpicking at 100 will open any lock that doesn't require a key in both games.

Whoops I meant pick pocketing.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Orrfieldmedic posted:

Iron Archer managed to hit level 2 before going into the mines, must be a good sign.

Yeah, this run looks like it'll be a breeze.

Foolio, on the other hand:
Well, this session started off fun.

The Xvart village summoned its protector bear, and then Foolio charmed it into wiping out the village.

Then I had the party wander over to that one place northeast of Nashkel to snag that +1 two-hand sword for Minsc. Amazingly he didn't break his backup backup sword along the way.

Nearby was a cave with an ettercap and a web trap I idiotically blundered into.

Yup.

Every once in a while one person would unfreeze long enough to get a hit in, but Foolio couldn't struggle away to flee! It was down to the last few hits, and...

Double KO! But there are no draws in Ironman.

RIP FOOLIO DISPLASIUS, human Ranger, webbed and eviscerated by a lone ettercap. He never got a chance to scour the seven suns clean of doppelgangers (rraagh).

Kind of sick of fighter/clerics anyhow. Next run, maybe an arcanist or a single class stalker ranger.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Arivia posted:

Whoops I meant pick pocketing.

I'm not sure offhand, but more is always better. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to boost the skill. The game throws money at you and you'll probably end up killing the dudes who have good stuff anyway.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

So, uh...
I may have had someone get petrified by a basilisk in a random battle map, and don't have any stone to flesh scrolls. Is this character gone for good, or is it possible to find that specific map again and that character will be there?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

So, uh...
I may have had someone get petrified by a basilisk in a random battle map, and don't have any stone to flesh scrolls. Is this character gone for good, or is it possible to find that specific map again and that character will be there?

It's possible to find that map again, but I'm not sure how difficult that is to pull off.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I don't think anyone will begrudge you using the CLUA console to warp back to the random encounter area and unfreeze your companion. It's a set area, but it's basically impossible to trigger another random encounter in the same one, and it just doesn't make sense in-game that it'd be impossible to find your way back to your lost companion. You'd have to travel back and forth between the same areas you were going between when the random encounter triggered and hope it respawns or another one takes place in the same area.

If you want to use the console, I think using Ctrl+G will reveal the area info. Write down the area code, then go buy the scroll you need. After that enter CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("XXXXXX").

Or you can go utterly hardcore and leave them for dead, your choice. Whatever you think is more fun, that's what the thread is all about. If you find yourself always using the same party members, the new addition you use to replace the petrified one might be a pleasant change of pace.

Edit: Or you can find the same area in minutes. Way to go!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 7, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yep, I just did it. Had to make the same journey from Firewine Bridge to Beregost a couple times until another Basilisk ambushed me. drat near got my PC petrified this time, but I got Safana back. Which is good because there's no non-evil female replacement for her.

EDIT: Okay there's Alora I guess, but I need a thief way before she's available.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 7, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can always stick the helm of opposite alignment on Shar-Teel and dual-class her to thief :v:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Great idea! I'll just take a quick jaunt over to Durlag's Tow:suicide:

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Iron Archer the Archer made it trough the mines and fou-

...Why are you talking while on fire Mulahey? Why do you think that talking while on fire is a good idea?

Anyway, fought Mulahey and it went over far better then the fight with Greywolf.

Made it back out of the mines

Forgot to take a pic of the assassin fight back at town, oh well. Decided to go westwards to pick up some items.

Killed Val and dude for some nice gloves.

Fought some dudes on a big and opps put my frontline to sleep.

Got the dex gloves.

Then went for the tome in the area.

Went east and...

Why did you think the best time to be telling us this is while being attacked by wild dogs? Why?
Anyway, had to go back and get our buddy rezed since I ran into the dude he stole the dagger from first... afterwards.

found a group of assassins that were going to ambush me if I went out the hidden mine exit.

Neera died right before killing one of them with magic missile...oh well, loot.
Back in Nashkal at the moment, will be doing stuff for funds to buy nice equipment and cool arrows for the party.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Update for Iron Backscratcher, the evil Fighter/thief

FIrst thing to do is complete Kagain and Edwin's quest, cleared the Gnoll Stronghold without much problems and killing Dynaheir was incredibly satisfactory I may add.
After that, I do some quests and proceed to Nashkel mines.

Mulahey goes down like a chump.

Near Nashkel lies the next step of Dorn's quest, and the sheer amount of skeletons she summons surprised me quite a bit.

While clearing Peldvale and Larswood I encounter this fool.

Honestly, I didn't know he was a recruitable character. I wasn't planning to recruit another character but whatever, I want my own alliterating drow sorcerer.

Cleared the bandit camp.

And cruised through Cloakwood until the entrance of the mines, killed the bounty hunters there and Baeloth's pulls his weight fireballing with extreme prejudice while confused Edwin tries to punch some horses.

Thought of the day: Evil characters are OP as heck.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Let's see how this goes.

Took about 20 minutes to get a 91 on the score sheet. If I die, I think I'll just roll with whatever the roll is. Playing with most of the major mods for BG:EE 1 and 2, but not SCS. I have completed the series once before with a Fighter/Mage/Thief, and I usually play a thief. I don't think I'll get past Cloakwood myself.

Edit- Gibbed both the assassins in Candlekeep, and meet two new additions from one of the mods.

Running Core Rules.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 8, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
alright, in with

I've played a backstabbing thief type before so hopefully this won't be terrible. Probably will try to get the dagger of venom quickly if I can. Just playing vanilla EE on the ipad.

Got out of Candlekeep, looted Gorian's remains, picked up Xar and Montaroon to be meatshields against Tarnash, and am now residing at the Friendly Arm deciding my next move (which will be Beregost to pick up Kaigan and do some quests).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It seems like there are so many of you when I'm updating the list, and then I look at it afterwards and it looks really short. I hate that feeling. And it'll only get worse if I enter myself. I love these threads.

Check I've got your link and progress right, if you care.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Born Hero, Solo. EE on my iPad

I figured that having a bonus to saves against everything would come in handy, and I was right. Tarnesh tried to fear our hero, but he was all "YOLO!" and refused to be frightened. Unfortunately Tarnesh had also cast Mirror Image on himself and proceeded to get max damage on Magic Missile, ending Mr. Swaggins' adventure before it got off the ground. Both Yolo and a guard failed to hit Tarnesh even once during the fight.

E: breaking tables. That's the first iPad screenshot I've taken and I cropped the poo poo out of it. :shrug:

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 7, 2015

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Breaking the gently caress out of tables, Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm not posting anything until I hit level 3 because other than my Mulahey death, my next 2 characters (mages) got killed in a 6-bandit random encounter on the way to the FAI.

Even when you have 12 HP thanks to your familiar, 6 bandits with 2 attacks per round will murder you and your 6 AC before you can get off the screen.

Trying a halfling kensai this time around but no screenshots until she gets some HP under her belt.

• Locked thread