Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Mellt
HP: 60/60 | MP: 60/60 [15/40] | DEF: 4

Mellt watches the behemoth move off, a slightly disappointed look on her face. After a moment, she shrugs, and puts her slightly more battered hammer up on her shoulder. "That was fun! I could go for a drink after that." She look around the damaged tavern, and picks her way over towards Aino and Aries to commandeer a still partly full mug. It gets drained in one long pull.

"Aaaah! Not bad." She glances over at the scuffle between the cook and sol, but figures Aino has it in hand. "The names Mellt. I was working with Braga's Breakers, hunting down bandits, but he retired, so I headed here. Looking to hook up with a new group."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Felize Jamstave
HP: 33/40 | MP: 35/40 | ATK: 4 | DEF: 4 | SPD: 4

"But... the soup...", says Felize to the judge in a tone usually reserved for witnessing the strangulation of a puppy. After a pause, she sighs and stows the fork away. "But I suppose punishing this knight won't bring it back to the stove. Plus, he owes me a fresh ahriman eye." Hmping, the chef apparently considers that decided as she folds her arms, giving Sol an intent, serious look. "If that would seem fair?", she adds to the judge, as if expecting agreement.

Going to look over my sheet and definitely do some retooling over the weekend.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Aino
HP: 50/50 | MP: 20/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3 (Impaired -1)

"Spilled soup makes no appearance in any section of the Criminal Code," Aino says, stony-faced. "That is a matter with which the two of you must come to terms. Peaceably."

The Judge turns to face the gaping hole in the tavern front. "Fio," she calls. "Go get Judge Watz, and tell him to bring the malboros. There has been a fatality."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Sol - HP: 54/60 | END: 60/60 | RES: 60/60 | ATK: 8 | DEF: 4

"...So this soup was important to you." If he had to be honest, Sol was still a little bit confused. He'd never seen somebody get so passionate over food before, but it was something he could understand. If he'd lost something he considered precious, he too would have been overcome with outrage. Standing up, he dusted himself off and nodded. "I may be gone soon, but it isn't my wish to leave without paying for my mistake. Is there anywhere I could find an ahriman nest, if the one over there won't suffice?" He asked, gesturing at the remains of the creature that had attacked the inn. As he looked at the beast, Sol felt a flash of anger. His lead was gone now. Chasing after the girl when she had such a head-start would be futile. His only hope was that they'd cross paths again in less difficult circumstances, someday. Taking a deep breath, he steadied himself. "My name is Sol. What is yours? If I must repay a debt, I would prefer to know the name of the woman I am indebted to."

Made some preliminary changes. Reduced Endurance Reserve by a point and removed Wakeful in exchange for two ranks of Quick, so Sol now actually DOES have the defense listed above. His statblock has been edited slightly to reflect the changes. More to come, possibly!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Platea Bogard, What Remains of the Flaming Bomb Tavern

Out on the Platea, an arm thrusts itself forth from a nearby orange stand. It flops around for a bit before finding a grip on the edge of the stand, and Fio bursts forth sending even more oranges flying. She cocks her head towards Aino's command and seems panicked for a moment, but quickly gets a grip and replies, "Ah, eh, y-yeah! Right on it, Watz, morbol, yes!" Fio darts down the abandoned Platea towards the central hub of the city, nearly tripping over some oranges in the process.

Aries turns on her heel and stares blankly at Aino. "Knight Aries? Aye, so cold, sister!" Marching up to the Judge as well as someone with a twisted ankle can, Aries takes a massive swipe at her and tangles her into a headlock. Before the rush of panic and sense of danger can really take purchase, the tension of the situation is immediately relieved as Aries begins drilling into Aino's skull with a solid noogie.

"You can't have already forgotten your best friend, the war hasn't been that long sister! Your mind hasn't addled, has it? I'm the one who took all those blows to the head, should be me if anyone!" Aries bursts out laughing, nearly toppling off balance from her bad foot. She regains her balance easily enough, pushing off from Aino suddenly. "Just as much of a sourpuss from the looks of it, though. Think the lass was just about to bean him with the giant spoon, too."

Hobbling over to the Behemoth's prey, Aries snatches a partly open pouch laying near him. She draws a fist-sized chunk of brown magicite from the pouch and holds it up to inspect it. "Placed a fair deal of faith in him, then. Hadn't even seen him get the beast into the city, perhaps he was a bit smarter than he looked," Aries mumbles to herself. After pocketing the crystal shard and tossing away the pouch, Aries lets out a sharp, commanding whistle. "Well, unless you've like to rummage through this poor sod's belongings, I've got a proposal for you lot! If ridding Ivalice of the sort of person who would ram a Behemoth through some tavern for laughs just because he heard I might be about sounds like a right and good plan, I've likely got someone who would like to meet you. If not, it's a drat shame to see people knock a Behemoth about just to round out their evening. And, should you be worried about the mess he left, I'm sure it'll be taken care of properly. Aye, 'No?" Aries gestures towards Aino with a grin.

Among the Beastmaster's possessions are a curved sword and a satchel of powder. These should be of interest to a couple of party members.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 23, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak
HP: 50/60 END: 16/50 DEF: 2 BAR: 4 AMR: 3

Lojak let loose a string of garbled swears when that blasted behemoth ruined what could've been a strong source of information. Quick to make the most of it, he initially ignored the viera in favor of looting through the fallen beast tamer's corpse for whatever leads he could obtain, but perked up the moment she mentioned her intentions for the lot of them, "Interesting, and right and good indeed. You can call me 'Jack'." Perhaps both she and the one she mentioned would be able to help out in both this case and point him toward future ones.

Not done talking, he stood up to face the others, opening up the tamer's satchel and taking another whiff, just to be sure, "An odd courier, to ride in on a behemoth. Or perhaps not a courier at all." Merchant, customer, courier. For all the tales he was willing to let a dead man tell without profaning its existence, he couldn't yet see the right of this one.

Left it open, in case it's a different powder again.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Lojak: That's definitely some zombie powder.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 45/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Originally Aubrey had been intent on extracting every little bit of gil she could from the man to whom the voracious abyss portal had belonged. But, in the immediate aftermath of the battle she had found herself in an advantageous position, able to get her grubby little mitts on what appeared to be a significant portion of the spoils, a sword whose intricately ornate scabbard that practically spoke promises about the quality of the blade that rested therein. Wagging her tail rather excitedly and hoisting the weapon a little higher, the samurai boldly declares, "I'm taking this. If services are needed, then this shall serve as an adequate initial payment for them. Besides, I have to at least break even after that hole ate my Gil!"

She shoots Sol a wounded look.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino's hand immediately slaps out, clamping her hat back onto her head. The ruby pin is buried deep in her palm, though the ragged remains of her ear are briefly exposed to the room.

"Aye...'ries," the Judge says, with a tight smile. "But you must excuse my formality. I am in the depths of my duties, and it behooves a Judge to comport themselves with equal fairness and tact to all they serve, be they stranger or respected friend."

She takes a moment to smooth out her robe of office, then once composed, looks at Aries.

"Is this latest recruiting drive from the Knights Zodiac anything to do with the recent resurgence of the Red Wings, by chance?"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Platea Bogard, What Remains of the Flaming Bomb Inn

Aries snorts. "Haven't heard that one before. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well, but I guess it means you got at least a couple of sticks out your rear end. Still got the ol' judge one, though." She rolls her eyes at the mention of Red Wings, leaning up against her shield which itself is leaned against the bar.

"Red Wings, Zombie Dance, Breakers, you name a jagd crawling clan and they've like to have shacked up with the Clandestine by now. Hells, think the lass mentioned the Red Wings are out and about over the skies now. Clandestine must have gifted them a jagd-flier as some kind of signing bonus. Doubt they've got any idea how to use it, but I can't say I follow the crew of a lot of bandits," The shieldbearer explains, shaking her head.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"They wouldn't do that." The words were out of Sol's mouth before he'd finished thinking about them. "The Knights Clandestine have better things to do than associate themselves with petty thieves and highwaymen." Like associating themselves with petty knights and ex-conspirators, he reflected, with more than a hint of self-derision. Still, he could not let someone besmirch the name of good people. If Master Viers trusted the Clandestine enough to send him on an errand for them, then they were certainly worth defending. "There are too many dangerous men out and about to waste time looking into the business of small clans, men like this assailant. Who could've sent him here?" He asked aloud, to the gathered survivors of the battle. This incident could not be allowed to repeat itself. What might have happened if this group had not been in the right place at the right time?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Platea Bogard, What Remains of the Flaming Bomb Inn

Poorly attempting to cover a laugh, Aries waves dismissively towards Sol. "Kiddo, I know you've probably heard all kinds of brainwashing from them and you're mighty young, but you're looking at the smashed corpse of one of the Knights Clandestine," Aries says as she hobbles towards one of the smashed tables in the tavern and hefts out the beastmaster's flail. "Aye, right as I thought. Take a good look at the symbol on that handle. You've like to have seen it on whatever recruiting or riling up the Clandestine poisoned your silly little mind with. The rose-wrapped blade, how quaint."

Aries drops the flail in front of Sol and crosses her arms. "And if you lot hadn't been here, I wouldn't've broken my drat ankle sliding in to protect you. Still, if you need some right and proper convincing, the lass wants off to the west to help against the Clandestine salting the earth. With how righteous you seem to mark yourself, I suspect seeing it will move you quickly. Or not, but the lass is terribly impatient and is like to fly away without me if we don't get moving. So what'll it be?"

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

The winged samurai watches the exchange between Sol and Aries with a mild sort of interest. Up until this point, although she'd known the Clandestine to be a nuisance, she hadn't considered them an immensely dangerous force as the Zodiac woman suggested they were. Nor had she expected anyone to come to their defense, for all of Sol's claims, all Aubrey knew of the Clandestine firsthand was that they actually were thieves and highwaymen. Her train of thought on this matter is immediately derailed when Aries discards the flail.

Pointing a finger at the discarded flail and looking at Aries, the Gria inquires in a not-entirely nonchalant fashion, "do you think that would fetch a reasonable price at a merchant?"

bahamut fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 26, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"That is a question I have no good answer to. I do have a debt I must repay, after all..." Sol said, glancing in Felize's direction. "Some sort of compromise must be found. Miss Cook, would you terribly mind if I took this day to clear up this misconception and then went looking for that Ahriman eye? It shouldn't take too long, I promise."

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak

Lojak's face contorted into a violent scowl. What had previously been a sense of disappointment, perhaps regret, concerning the tamer's death warped into satisfaction--he'd died before he could use or peddle the most-foul product he'd been carrying around.

The viera was well-informed, indeed, and the star knight continued to seem well-intentioned enough even if his actions continually failed to match. Still angry, imagining what disaster could have fallen, he practically shouted "If you want further proof, boy, this here is zombie powder! Nasty stuff, surely obtained from one of those 'petty thieves and highwaymen' as you so called them. If only they were merely that, these jagd-dwellers!"

His grip on the bag tightened, as if to crush it as illogical and downright impossible an endeavor as that would be. Turn it over to the judge? No, that wouldn't do. He'd see its contents destroyed in their entire or not rest easy, the urgency of finding the bomb powder put aside.

I imagine he'd know of/have some way of destroying or at least ruining the zombie powder on-hand. Just don't know what that would be.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Platea Bogard, What Remains of the Flaming Bomb Tavern

The Knight sizes Aubrey up and chuckles. "It's just a lot of metal, but if you think you can even heft it along I imagine you could find someone who would want it. Maybe the lass could use a new anchor or some nonsense, and she's got about as good as coin to give."

The flail itself weighs twice as much as Aubrey, if not a good bit more. That the Beastmaster swung it above his head with ease might be a bit more concerning given its sheer weight.

Sol: There's still totally a dead ahriman that was killed with a single, swift slice laying around.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Felize Jamstave
HP: 33/40 | MP: 35/40 | ATK: 4 | DEF: 4 | SPD: 4

Felize squints at the body. "Well, it looks like he been punished enough for ruining a meal or ten...", she comments, before looking over to the rival cook. "... still, I don't need to stick around with those that don't recognize my genius!" A hmph, and she looks to the monster corpses, and then looks up to Judge Aries. "You think the rest of them run with packs of monsters like this?" She touches her chin, the gears in her brain clicking over. "If you people are going to regularly be slaying beasts like these, then I'll come with you. The number of recipes I could test if I have a regular supply of monstrous ingredients..." She looks quite hungry just thinking about it.

A wave of her hand. "And justice and knightly stuff and all that too, I'm sure!", she says as an only token acknowledgement, putting her hands on her hips with a confident grin.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Then it's settled. Where are these supposed Knights Clandestine hiding?" Sol asked, turning his attention back to Aries. "You mentioned something about the jagds? Is there any such den close by?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mellt

Mellt had watched the interaction play out, not much caring about the details Aries and Sol were bantering over. Now, though, she jumps in. "If you lot are going off to look for a fight, count me in! Especially if you have a chef along."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino spreads her hands wide in a shrug. Since she's a viera, that's pretty drat wide indeed.

"It was my intent to pursue the Red Wings by myself, but operating in a group might well increase our chances of a successful hunt. I would join your company, if you would have me."

The judge turns to the viera knight. "Knight Aries, would you be joining us on this expedition?"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Platea Bogard, What Remains of the Flaming Bomb Inn or Tavern (same difference)

Aries grins at the culinarian. "Monsters? Probably. Can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if hey weren't manipulating a few into whatever nonsense they plan. After all, just look at this nonce," she says, giving the corpse a push with her bad foot.

"When we know where to stop them, I'd be glad to rout the bastards. The problem is the whole 'random acts of chaos' thing they have going on. At best, I just knew this one was after me pretty directly. Just didn't expect him to come charging at me with a beast we hadn't thought could even be in the city." The Knight hefts her shield up off the counter and starts towards the door. "Anyways, I'll just take all of that as a proper 'yes' because I'm like to start busting down walls myself should I need to stand on this foot much longer. Follow along then, aye."

Aries blows her chocobo call again once she steps outside the tavern and straps her shield to a rather large bird who comes sprinting down the Platea in response. Taking it by the reins she leads the party off towards one of the ends of the Platea. Watz, a nasty looking morbol, and two beastmasters wielding whips and keeping the monster in line pass by as you go.

Watz greets his superior with a salute. "Judge Aino, trust that I'll take care of this, Fio's told me the whole of it. And, while you hadn't mentioned fellows, I suppose you're off to track down the Red Wings as you'd mentioned? Any standing commands in your absence?" He awaits her response, then continues along with the clean-up crew.

Platea Bogard, Airship Strip

Passing through the mouth of the markets and into the transportation hub, Aries leads the party over to one of the smaller docked airships, a passenger class as opposed to the much more common merchant classes taking up the majority of the docks, which has a young woman arguing with a seeq in front of it.

"If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have even built the airship docks here! Now you're charging me to use them?" The woman appears to be waving a pistol in the seeq's face, but he seems rather nonplussed. "Docking fee's five-hundred, lady. Ain't that much, pays for the workers helping the merchants and keepin' an eye on yer ships," the seeq replies. "Do you even know who I am!?" the woman shouts, continuing to wave her pistol about.

"Gods, Highwind, set the drat pop-gun aside and pay the man his pennies," Aries shouts, beating her fists together as she moves towards the scuffle. The woman turns towards her and pushes her goggles onto her forehead, bunching her short hair up in a rather ridiculous looking way. "Aries, you finished playing bait for a ghost? Because you decided you should have all the coin in case you could snag another you suspected, so I'm stuck keeping this thing from eating me!" the Engineer yells, shaking her pistol at the Knight instead.

"I'm not going to eat you miss, and if you'd just said you needed to meet your friend for the money in the first place..." the seeq is interrupted by the Engineer turning towards her ship, aiming her pistol, and firing a pellet that turns to dust immediately upon hitting a small design on the ship's port side. Part of the port falls out and forms a staircase, allowing access to the ship which the Engineer immediately takes. Aries grumbles, face in palm, before hobbling towards the ship's staircase. "Forgive the lass, she means well, I think," she tells the seeq, handing him a small sack of gil. "Mind if I ask why the girl's got her airship key made up like a gun, then?" Aries just shakes her head at the seeq and gives him a 'you don't want to know' look, which he takes as a satisfactory answer and walks off to do his other duties in the port.

"Well, here she is. The Highwind's latest, The Highwind. Crazed lass you saw there's our pilot, Cid. Loves airships to death. Cannot understand people. She's also rightly head of House Pisces, though unlike the rest of the Zodiac she'd taken the position from her father after the Separation. Trust me, she knows what she's doing, just try not to get the wrong of her or there'll be no end to her whining," Aries explains. She secures her shield to her chocobo and directs it to board the ship before turning back to the party. "By the by, if you've need of any supplies or the like, you should get them before we go. The Highwind's got plenty of the usual stuff, but I can't say I know any of your particulars. Won't be a long flight to where we're going, but Serenity doesn't have much more than piles of magic books and plenty of water and one of those two hasn't been having the best of days. Otherwise, have your run of the ship and we'll like to be off soon."

Anything you guys want to do while still in a city, go for it. Otherwise, you've got another knight of the Zodiac about and a custom-built airship made by her hand to explore. Run around and detail it how you like, because I'm already writing way too much and this just leads into another giant pile of writing so I figure this is a decent way to split it up.

Reasonably, the only significant thing about the airship is that it's not meant to haul tons and tons of trade goods. In other words, it's basically the size of most any typical Final Fantasy airship save maybe that ridiculous spaceship from 8. Other than that, go hog wild.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"There's nothing in particular that I need." Sol said, shaking his head. "Only a question answered. You speak of a group called Zodiac. Who are these people? I am familiar with the stars, but I was not aware of another order devoted to them." There was more he could have said, but he fell silent. Aries' words from before still lingered in his mind, and there was something about them that made him feel uneasy, a contradiction he could not quite resolve. Perhaps if he knew the person who'd spoken them better everything would slide into place.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Previously

Aino dips her head in respect as Watz arrives on the scene. She doesn't like him, but politeness is a big deal between Judges.

"Judge Watz. I leave this in your capable appendages - the scene is as Fio will have described it to you. I have no standing orders out of the ordinary, only that I designate Fio to act as my proxy should the need arise. I trust in her judgement, much as I trust yours, and you may rest easy knowing that I will remedy any misstep she may take while I am gone."

She relays the details of the scene to Watz, bids him farewell, and leaves him to scrape up what's left of the beastmaster. She finds it best not to think about what the marlboro does with the corpses once he's done examining them.

Now

Aino arrived at the dock with her meager bag of possessions and Fio in tow. She's carrying on a murmured conversation with the ex-thief, mostly relating the details of what to do and not do while the viera is away. The Judge displays little to no reaction at the young woman pointing guns in people's faces. She does raise an eyebrow at Sol's question, though.

"Perhaps the young master is of a monastic order," she says to Sol. "Or perhaps it is simply my recollections that have become muddled by extent and involvement. It is the Knights Zodiac that unshackled the Kritrarchy and Empire, so that all Judges may freely and fairly enforce the Law, unburdened by Imperial influence."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
oh god i misworded that but now there's a morbol judge, OH WELL i'll take it

Also among other things that happen when I write a giant post at 3am, I forgot something super important for Sol:
Your package is marked for delivery to one Millicent in Serenity, the town Aries mentioned. Viers told you rather plainly that the sake of people's lives hinge on this, regardless of whatever this war may be. Do this not for him, but for Ivalice's downtrodden.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 27, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak

Before lift-off

Lojak destroyed the cursed powder back in town, quelling his rage and allowing him to acknowledge the bigger picture again. Finding that powder was problematic to be sure, but even more problematic would be a larger organization, like the knights clandestine, carrying it around so freely.

There was one more thing as well, now that he'd been calmed and had a judge's ear--he made sure to inform her about the rumored grenade ash shipment he had been attempting to track. He'd use what time he estimated as 'enough' tracking it down himself, before the ship was likely to just leave without him, but felt confident that the judge could handle the situation or at least get somebody else to do so in her absence. It's not like he needed to spend much time gathering supplies if they'd have a chef aboard, even if they were to enter an area short on water.

At the Airship

It was a fine ship--he could only imagine the sort of payload it was packing, if even the key was fashioned after a gun. Jagd-dwellers fought dirty, so to fight them you either had to have a superior sense of awareness with a ship to make it worthwhile or a lack of honor such that you had no shame in using their own unconventionally under-handed tactics against them. Armed with only jagd-tech himself, he'd been forced to adopt the latter strategy in the past.

Preferring not to think of such a past, Lojak ignored the history talk, walking right past it to check out the inside of the ship. If her captain was one of those Zodiac, it didn't mean much to him--the Zodiacs of then were not necessarily the Zodiacs of the now--but he'd like a clearer picture of where they'd all be heading in the present and the ship they'd be using to get there.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Master?" It took Sol a moment to realize who the Judge was referring to. Once he understood, he had to make an effort to keep his face from flushing. "Nothing of the sort. I am just a novice. The real master is not here - he sent me to the Platea to run an errand for him. But you're not far off the mark. My training left precious little time for me to attend to other matters, so I would not know about events that took place before my time." It was odd, really - the Judge's words were like a mirror of Master Viers', similar in essence but with some subtle differences. It seemed everybody had some stake in the old revolution, and all wished to take the credit for it. Their stories would diverge at some point, however, he was sure of it. Maybe then he could make an informed decision, and discover who had the right of it all.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"I'm stronger than I look," Aubrey had issued in proud retort. It was easy to discount Gria as being weak, after all. They were small in comparison to most of the denizens of Ivalice, and admittedly they were virtually unknown this far east. But Aubrey would have proudly elaborated on the virtue and heritage of her kind (a race of noble warriors, of course), had anyone deigned to ask. The weapon had been monstrous in size, and even being able to pick it up wouldn't have meant she could have flown with it as she would have liked to do. This meant walking to the nearest merchant and getting rid of it as quickly as possible for any remotely feasible sort of sum.

I rolled with Strong to see if she could actually lift it. Amazingly enough, she got an 8! I'm still not sure this is good enough, so I left the potential success/fail aftermath intentionally vague.

At the airship dock, Aubrey had been largely content to follow, peering at various things with mild interest as she went. At one point she had offhandedly remarked that the Highwind wasn't quite the Falcon, but she imagined it would suffice for now. Fortunately, Cid had been out of earshot, as Aries suggested would be a good idea after the fact. She had decisively concluded, "as long as I get a good bed during all of this, I'll be happy."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Platea Bogard

Aubrey drags behind the rest of the party as she drags the flail along behind her. She seems pretty committed to it and isn't doing too terrible of a job of it, at least. A weapons trader hands her a decent sum of gil for the thing, possibly out of pity for watching the girl try her best to heft it around, but it's nothing compared to what she'd had this morning.

The Highwind

Aries gives Sol a genuinely quizzical look. "Forget monastic order, you're like to have sprung up from the ground last week. Aino's got the right of it, though it does leave out my favorite part. We'd have had the war won with Leo's dagger while we'd barely even launched the assault on the Emperor, but Sinclair in all her obscene kindness went ahead and brought the Emperor back to life, whereafter he consumed Leviathan whole and made the entire ordeal far more difficult than it really had to be. And that's why Robel is a lake instead of a flourishing city. Pretty lake, too. Aye, but- Oi! Wrecker get yer neck out of the drat greens!" Aries interrupts herself to drag her chocobo away from a toppled over basket of Krakka root, the bird appearing to be rather resolute in fitting its entire head inside of it.

As Cid makes her preparations to send the Highwind high, the party settles into its facilities. Finding a nice open space on deck to practice, Aubrey finds herself finally able to test her newly found sword. One sliced rope and a very angry engineer later, she finds a more open space on the other side of the ship and finds a good bit more in the way of peace. The weighty blade isn't entirely what she's used to, but it has its advantages over a lighter blade.

The Talwar has two moves for Aubrey. The first is Riposte, a Disarming Trap (15 END cost). By putting yourself in an advantageous position, you can lash out at an attacker before their attack without compromising yourself in the process. Tell us what the other move is, bahamut.

Sol finds himself a nice view along the starboard of the ship. Cid breaks his serenity rather quickly by stating that he should 'shove himself in some corner under the deck instead of blocking the drat blocks'. It seems unlikely she's had to deal with so many people nosing around her ship while getting it ready, but the task seems rather stressful for just one person.

Is Sol too stubborn to move? Does his code of conduct dictate he should assist Cid, or is sailor work too far below Nobility and Temple?

Mellt's usual restlessness finds itself sated by an entire boat of labor. Cid begrudgingly accepts the viera's help pushing cannons back into their place ("Bastards said having the cannons readied was scaring some of the merchants," Cid explains), but upon seeing how much faster that goes she gladly commands the viera about to do some of the more taxing duties.

What ridiculous feat of strength does Mellt pull off to impress everyone, or does she have some other plan in mind?

Felize takes to the lower decks to scout out anything akin to a mess hall. What she instead finds is a rather impressively stocked kitchen manned by an impressively stocked man who calls himself Biggs. "Lil' lady, allo there! Heard there'd be some guests so I was just at work making up something special. 'Sides, the boss's been a real grump all day, figure she could use something to sweeten her back up!" the man guffaws, tossing a pan into the crystal-powered oven.

What crime against food does Biggs commit, and how does Felize save the day?

Lacking much in the way of tact, Lojak essentially barges into the helm of the ship while Cid busies herself with some charts. At least, it should be the helm, but it doesn't look anything like what Lojak's ever seen before. "Eh? You, dammit, of all the places you guys could bother me... The helm's for the captain, and these charts are a headache enough to navigate without having to deal with people busting down doors around me. GEDDOUT!" the engineer yells, jabbing her protractor towards Lojak.

What's weird about how the Highwind seems to operate? Can Lojak help Cid out with plotting the course, or does he even want to?

Aino seats herself in the quietest part of the ship she can find. This is mostly because the only other person in the top seems to be confounded as to why he has company. The small fellow takes a few moments before speaking up, "'Scuse me miss, it's probably not the best of ideas to be up here, a little dangerous if you're not used to it and I am a little busy finishing my pre-flight inspection. Ah, the name's Wedge, by the by. Politeness and all that, yes?"

Who's this Wedge fellow remind Aino of?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mellt

Mellt stops and collects a heavy pack from the small room she had rented, surprisingly full of useful things a soldier would carry as opposed to food. She does buy a snack from a street vendor, some kind of spicy meat on a stick.

Once aboard, she immediately throws her strength into helping Cid out. "These little things? Not a problem! I'll have them where they belong in no time!" The viera shoves the cannons around like they're toys, and then starts hauling the ammunition back up. Cid starts rigging a block and tackle to move the crate - until Mellt casually picks it up. When they reach the cannons, she braces it on her knee and pries the lid off with one hand, and then hands rounds over to the smaller woman, moving from cannon to cannon until they're all squared away.

"Anything else you need doing?"

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak

Lojak's first thought was that it was too open, too exposed. His familiar jagd-made ships of old preferred a more closed off design to their helms, designs that offered only narrow, slit-like views of the world outside. While logically he knew that the more open design of the Highwind, one which afforded an all-encompassing view of the area outside the helm, could be just as safe and secure as what he was used to, whether through magic or engineering, it still felt more 'naked'.

"I used to pilot an airship," he laughed, not at all concerned by her protractor jabs, which he casually brushed aside, "Let me see them."

Using airship knowledge to see if the nature of these particular charts are familiar to his past, roughshod experiences: 6. He'd offer to help with what he recognized/felt confident in, but maybe the ship uses an entirely different energy source than what he's used to and that requires even more charts to consider a safe route!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Felize Jamstave
HP: 40 | MP: 40 | ATK: 5 | DEF: 5 | SPD: 5

Arriving at the ship, Felize lugs a clanking, heavy load on her back. Pots, pans, maybe a small oven? And from pot handles hangs fresh cuts of meat from the day before. Somebody's been busy! Making a beeline for the kitchen, she stops dead as she sees Biggs, and her eyes go half-lidded with instant annoyance. "Oh.", she says simply, and her luggage clatters down.

Walking through the kitchen, she looks it over more like an officer checking a set of barracks than, say, a guest aboard a ship. Looking at the crystal stove, she squints. "What are you-" She butts right in, opening it up to peer at the cooking. "I what- are those supposed to be- what-" She frowns and pulls out what's in theory a set of rainbow rolls, but stares at the blurred shades and mashed layers which looks like more like something a malboro might launch at a foe. Without explanation, she explains, "Have you ever even seen what- get me your dyes and flavored flours, we're scratching on this." She makes a fist, saying, "Lard. Rollers. Cutters. Get moving! You're learning this one over. Where's that cookbook that taught you this I am going to use it as fuel-" Rainbow rolls. Seven flavored layers of flour. Fruity but not cloying. Moist. She can do this. Jels to go with the rolls. An accompanying lightly spiced tea. Mangoes. Do they have mangoes?

It's time to make an impression on the captain.

For what it matters, Job + Sign comes out as a 20.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 28, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

For a group devoted to the stars in the sky and their celestial journeys, the Star Knights were not accustomed to airship travel. Walking or riding through the land was slower than riding an airship, but it was also much easier to go off the path, and many diversions often led the Star Knights exactly where they needed to be, to do what they needed to do. Given the opportunity to witness a magnificent view, Sol was rather displeased when the captain demanded he step away. He had no desire to do that...but she had a point. A ship's deck had no room for idle watchers. It was for that reason that he opened his mouth, not to protest but to say:

"You're right. Is there anything I can do to help?"

He should have known, better, really.

Let's play ball. What sort of task is keeping Sol busy for a while?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino actually cracks a smile.

There was always one onboard every ship. They were always punctilious, working their checklists and ledgers with utmost scrupulousness, rising near the top of their organizations without the drive or charisma to achieve actual command. This one was not a moogle, though.

She hadn't thought about Serino in quite some time. He'd mostly been a pest, back in the bad old days, always grumbling about procedure and protocol. But there was that time in Moorabella he'd faced down an entire squad of angry bangaa, demanding they show their paperwork before he'd let them onboard. It'd saved her quite a lot of trouble, and pain, most likely.

Aino stands up and brushes off her robes, towering above the functionary. "Of course. I beg your forbearance, sir. I am Aino, Judge, and it has been a great deal of time since I have been aboard an airship as fine as this. Do not concern yourself, I shall take my leave; protocol is to be followed, after all."

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Indignantly shooed around the ship, Aubrey found herself inwardly grumbling about the selfish-seeming nature of the crew. But perhaps it was just that she'd been having a bad day so far. That flail had been incredibly heavy, and didn't net quite as much as she'd hoped. Still, a little bit of pocket change was better than absolutely none, she reminded herself.

Resigning herself to her fate, she tested the weight and handle of her newfound sword. It was not entirely the most wieldy thing by her reckoning, but she could tell it was well and honestly forged. The katana was not the only type of sword to be imbued with spirit, and the Gria was certain that with time she would find the spirit of this blade as well.

The second attack provided by the Talwar is Shakha, a Barrier Busting, Effective (x3), but Inaccurate (x2) assault that costs 10 Endurance! Also, sorry about the hold-up.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
The Highwind

Cid stares blankly as Mellt does an hour's task in a few minutes. She glances down at her list of preparations, folds it up and pockets it. "That about does it, I guess. All that's left for labor is manually pulling one of the tertiary propellers, since the pulley's still broken and it won't start up with the rest of the ship. Normally I just get Biggs and Wedge to do it, but you'd probably do it a lot better and not force me to deal with the ship buckling on liftoff. I didn't quite expect to be lifting off within the hour, but I can make do, just be ready when I need you." Cid walks off with almost a skip in her step; competent passengers were a bit of a first for her.

The skip dies about the time she reaches Sol, but his response almost catches her off guard. "Uh, yeah, I am right! If you plan on making yourself useful, you can, er... Ah, the ropes. Having plenty of spare coils is important, but I haven't had the spare time to store them. Over there, can't miss it," Cid says, jabbing her thumb behind her towards a veritable mountain of tangled and knotted rope. "Just pull it all together neatly, and don't even think about cutting any of the knots unless you've got the gil to buy new ones double over." Cid thumps the block Sol had been standing in front of a few times, nods to herself, and continues on.

In the helm, Lojak recognizes the charts Cid has pretty well. An old volume that was reprinted and distributed amongst jagd-fliers, back when they couldn't get much farther above the ground than a kite. It's riddled with shorthand and the crystal streams are lumped atop each other in the same color and line. Not the best, but the Platea is hardly the kind of airship hub that would have newer charts available for sale. While Cid attempts to play the whole thing off as stuff she already knew, Lojak teaches her how the charts are supposed to be read and plots a short path around Jagd Burneh to land in Serenity. Shouldn't take more than a few hours, really.

Once she's settled on her course, Cid yells out the helm for Wedge and confirms with him that the ship meets inspection. She signals Mellt at the broken propeller before returning to the controls inside the helm, which don't really resemble any controls Lojak's seen before. The activation works much the same, save for the odd shape of Cid's key, and upon pulling the key's trigger the control panel lights up in green, likely from the crystal battery. Despite there clearly being no wheel to grab, Cid grasps the empty space in front of her and begins straining as if she really were pulling a wheel for liftoff. Mellt effortlessly spins her propeller out as the others begin to whirl, letting go of the rope as the tertiary propeller starts to sustain itself. Cid makes a sweeping motion as she lets the seemingly imaginary wheel fly, then she raises her arms up high and pushes, shouting 'liftoff!'

The airship lurches, then immediately alights, softly but swiftly rising up above the Platea. Cid steps away from the control panel and grins. "I could get used to things going this smoothly all the time!" she laughs.

Back in the kitchen, Biggs watches with wonder in his eyes and Felize draws a dish of the finest thing mangoes, dough and flan flesh have ever come together to create. Which certainly says something, because flan flesh is generally associated with horrible rotting smells and food poisoning. "We'd only had that in the store room for selling off to alchemists for a bit of gil. I'd never have thought you could use it in baking!" Biggs exclaims, clapping his giant hands together with glee. Just to ensure everything had gone right, Felize pulls one of the rolls from the pan and takes a bite. The gelatinous material gives the rolls a chewy texture without being sticky, and alongside the sweet of the mango comes a tang of orange granted by what one could only assume is the diet of the red flan. Perfection, even moreso than Felize had anticipated. She could get used to having a crystal-powered oven, for sure.

The pair of chefs bring the delight up to the helm as the ship begins to soar upwards. Cid's excitement is almost deadened by yet more people barging into her personal domain, but the sweet smell stops her tongue. "Thought you'd like a treat before the flight, captain!" Biggs rumbles as Felize presents the garnished plate. Cid sniffs at the roll before inelegantly shoving the entire thing in her mouth. Her eyes sparkle as she chews and she takes a moment after swallowing before speaking up. "Biggs, you most certainly did not make this." The brute shakes his head and motions towards Felize with his oven-mitted hands. "I dunno what you put in this but you should definitely keep doing that, and maybe teach Biggs a thing or two about how to use that stupid oven Sinclair insisted I buy. Uh, anyways, you can just leave that on the desk over there, and get going under the deck. Get everyone else going too, I don't know what you all know about airships but the Highwind does a pretty good job of making sure anything that lands on it doesn't stay on board for long." Cid shoos the chefs out of the helm and barks a similar order out to everyone remaining on the deck.

♪~♪

Once everyone's safely inside the Highwind, Cid grabs hold of the imaginary wheel again and shoves her whole weight into it. If it had looked like an odd Mimic's act to Lojak before, it's obvious there's some force actually there that stops the girl from just leaping face-first into the controls. With another roll stuffed in her mouth, Cid yanks the 'wheel' back suddenly and spins it all the way to the right, mumbling through the pastry, "Emph-bawrk!"

As Wedge had suggested, holding onto something proves to be a good idea as the gently floating suddenly jerks forward and bowls everyone over, save for Biggs who had already been standing against the proper wall. "We should be there in under half an hour, just give it a few minutes and you'll adjust to the Highwind's speed. I wouldn't suggest doing anything that requires much precision, though!" Wedge explains, dusting himself off from having rolled along the entire floor. Seems the little fellow picked the wrong wall to stand against.

????

♪!!!♪

Elsewhere, a shadowy room fills with shadowy figures. The first to speak is a short woman shouldering an axe nearly as large as her bicorne hat. "And it ends just as I told you. If you'd trusted us with that thing those Zodiac dolts wouldn't have their grubby little mitts all over it, and I can assure you of my ability to properly level an entire city."

A firey blade impales the table directly before the woman, grasped by a viera wearing an extremely wide-brimmed hat. "If you were to be given this duty, you would likely have just sold the magicite. I would not call crashing yet another airship into a city in your incompetence 'levelling' it, either. With how much you've made a joke of your namesake, it's no wonder you and your band of sea-monsters wouldn't be trusted."

Before the two women can butt heads, a towering bangaa slams his mace through the table between them. "Ssshut up, the both of you. Bickering like thisss only proves you are each incompetent foolsss. Yet the question standsss: what shall we do about recovering the cryssstal?"

Devoid of peculiar features to cast a shadow with save a set of indistinct heavy armor, a fourth figure leans against the table and rasps through their helmet. "This is not a matter with which any of you should be concerned. The man you speak of has completed his task, and such duties will remain within our most trusted ranks. You have your task, and a paltry number of days with which to finish your preparations. Cease your senseless bickering, or I shall find more suitable candidates."

The other three groan and grumble, but none speak out loud.

Chapter 1: Our Zodiac Braves

The Highwind

♪~♪

Cid's voice fills the lower quarters of the airship from strange boxes installed along the halls. "Twenty minutes before we reach Serenity, and we're well past Burneh so you shouldn't have to worry about me swinging you about like that again. Hopefully Wedge let you know ahead of time!" Wedge suddenly looks concerned and gives a comical shrug, mumbling something about having 'definitely not heard about that'. "The Highwind sails smooth so long as I don't have to steer it much, so you should probably be safe to walk around and get your bearings. If you're feeling skysick, I sure hope you're an experienced carpenter and have the finest of lumbers to replace my floor you ruin. Knowing you all though, one of you probably is!" Cid ends her broadcast with a snort.

"Um, Serenity's an odd little village. They call it the home of Black Magic, but it's fallen out of favor as of late," Wedge says, attempting to drum up conversation.

Aries strides into the room from the chocobo bay and follows up, "Aye, Red Magic's like to be a good bit more useful, and most practitioners aren't experts in the arts anyway so the limitations of the Red aren't all they're cooked up to be. Also doesn't help much that there's not really a war about anymore, so war mages aren't exactly in demand. Nowadays the place is more interesting for its grand river, the only one that has a known heart. Unfortunately, that's exactly why we're bound out to there, but we'll also meet little Sinclair. She can fix the damage from that gape in your chest, Aino, and put my leg back the right way. Wouldn't trust another soul for it."

Before we land in Serenity, what has everyone heard about it? For a smaller bit of civilization, it's found a lot more importance than most cities can claim, so surely there's rumors and stories abounds.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Felize Jamstave
HP: 40 | MP: 40 | ATK: 5 | DEF: 5 | SPD: 5

Looking to Biggs, Felize squints. "Now we're going to rescue what we can of your recipe so you can eat it." That might seem impossible at this point, but- "No food goes to waste while I'm in a kitchen, so save room to eat the whole thing." Wait, wasn't she the one who put it aside in the first place...?

Out on deck as the ship approaches Serenity, Felize walks with a spring in her step before sitting down on the edge of the hatch overlooking the room, pulling out a sweet sausage to pick away at. "Heard it's cursed.", she replies. "Long ago, a witch was cast out and put a curse of calamity that they have to stave off. That's why they teach so much black magic, spreading destruction around helps hold off the curse. Or spread it, some say." She tilts her head. "I'm sure they don't like talking about it, though, and normally I wouldn't worry about what they thought, but a lot of them know black magic, so..." She tears off a large piece of sausage, falling quiet as she chews thoughtfully.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino murmurs an affirmative at Aries' comment, but keeps quiet. She's moving around pretty sure-footed for someone with a severe wound, though.

The judge thinks back to her knowledge of Serenity. She'd never been, but there were old records in the archives indicating a fairly large thieves' ring operated near the city quite a while ago, making off with the artifacts and knowledge of the Black Mages. No word on what had happened to either the victims or the perpetrators, though.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"Matoya, that witch was called," Aubrey remarks, "I've heard that one too, or at least a variation thereof. She was supposedly a survivor of Old Mysidia who had traded her original eyes for eyes of crystal that let her see the future. She was exiled from Serenity because it was said she wasn't just controlling the future, but directing things towards the future she desired. They had taken her eyes and smashed them before they closed their gates to her, and so she cursed them in response."

"I'd always wondered though," the Gria adds contemplatively, "if she could see the future, wouldn't she have foreseen her own exile?"

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Lojak

"Bah, the entire story's likely a cover for something!" Lojak exclaimed, "That's the way of thingsss. Make people afraid, get them to do or not do what you want. Or use the fear to distract them, stop them from seriously looking into all sssorts of troublesss."

"'The witch's curse did it!' or 'We did it because of the witch!'" he suddenly shouted before finishing with a laugh, "Such nonsenssse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mellt

"You wouldn't be laughing if you'd ever fought a witch," Mellt comments, ducking her head to avoid a threshold as she comes out on deck. With a groan, the Viera finally manages to stand up fully and stretches her limbs, back, and neck with a series of alarming pops. "Aaaaaaaaaa that's better. Airships are nice and fast, but damned cramped!"

"I don't know about any curses, but back when I worked with Braga he used to complain about taking contracts from the merchants in Serenity. Said the three bosses they have there - the Trium-something - would play games with it, have you meet a different one each time so they'd get you all twisted around until you can't tell which way is up. Said Rhys is the prickliest, but Hrother's all smiles because he thinks he's better than you, and Kurwen's the twistiest of the lot, for all that she's the quietest. All of 'em are supposed to be mages too, caught up in all the politics they have going on there."

• Locked thread