Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Judge Aino
HP: 50/50 | MP: 40/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d

Aino halts before the doors to the tavern, looking down at her protege. The Judge puts a gentle hand on the girl's shoulder, and the corners of the viera's mouth rise.

"I do trust you, Fio. That's why you're responsible for the Strip while I'm gone. If what you say about my peers were true, then I'd need someone who knows what they're doing to keep an eye on this place, hmm?"

The smile fades, and the Judge's expression hardens. "But I must be certain. I cannot leave a resurgent Redwings to chance."

pre:
Judge Aino
Fencer/Sniper

Health	50
Endur	40
Init	4d

Abilities	(23)
Agile 2
Armored 2
Attack 2
Combat Expert 3
Connected (Judges) 3
Evasive 1
Intimidating 1 
Iron-Willed 1
Knowledge (Judges) +2
Knowledge (Crime) +4
Position of Power (Judge) 3
Quick 2
Tough 1

Weaknesses	(18)
Arrogant 1
Bizarre Appearance 1
Code of Conduct (Judge's Oath) 2
Dependency (Ruby pin) 2
Emotionless 1
Impaired Sense (Hearing) 1
Infamous 2
Pacifist 1
Rival (Clan Redwings) 2
Secret 2
Servitude 1
Stubborn 1
Wanted 1

Perks and Flaws
Attack
	Piercing Blow
	Armor Piercing (+5)
	Reach (+5)
	Delayed (-5)

Beso Toxico
	Ranged (+0)
	Impairing (+10)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 50/50 | MP: 40/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3

Aino hauls herself out of the rubble, adjusting her hat - her ruby pin is still in place. There's an orange crushed into the shoulder of her robe.

She draws her rapier and points it at the lunatic on the Behemoth. "I am Aino, Judge Adjudicator. You're under arrest. Get off the Behemoth and come peaceably."

The viera punctuates her sentence by lancing the monster's foot to the floor with her sword.

It's worth noting that you just match possible successes instead of adding dice together. My init is only 10 as a result.

Wrestling to pin the Behemoth in place, which is a terrible idea. 20. That was a pretty lucky roll, actually. He's got to beat that to do anything else this round, and afterward he can only attack me unless he breaks free.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ah, I read Mellt's as mine.

Yeah, I'm aware I'm about to get hit bad. He needs a chance to surrender, though, and now he can't hurt anyone else unless he breaks free or I let him go. Can't arrest dead people.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 8/50 | MP: 30/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3

"Argh," Aino says, on account of being gored and flung across a tavern.

She takes a moment to lie on the floor and ooze, regretting most of the decisions in her life that brought her to this sorry state. Then it's back to business.

The spindly viera hauls herself up from the floor, gritting her teeth but making no noise of complaint. She shrugs and rolls her arms in a certain way, dislodging the bow on her back from its sling. A strange arrow, little more than a tiny barb on a stick, is produced from the quiver hanging at her side, nocked, and launched at the Behemoth.

Drawing a longbow with a hole in your guts is not a recommended experience.

IC because Orokos doesn't work at work for some drat reason: a whopping 6. Using Beso Toxico and foregoing any damage dealt, so if it hits the Behemoth is impaired.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 8/50 | MP: 20/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3

Aino's grimace has only a little to do with the hole in her guts and a lot to do with a lack of dead Behemoth and the cook crashing into the gria.

She nocks another poison arrow and launches it over the heads of the skirmishers, then leans against the wall and groans for a bit.

Beso Toxico again against the Behemoth, 'cause that poo poo stacks. Again foregoing damage, rolled an 8. Let's hope my bullshit luck holds out.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino
HP: 50/50 | MP: 20/40 | ATK: 9d | DEF: 5d | Init: 4d | DX 3 (Impaired -1)

"Thank you, Knight Aries," Aino murmurs. She drinks the potion, staring at the floor and wincing as her guts knit back together.

The Judge gets up a little unsteadily, then goes over to what is rapidly spiraling into a second crime scene. Mustering more gusto than she really feels, she shouts at Sol and Felize. Her Grazton accent is keen and imperious.

"Stop, in the name of the law!" She interposes herself between the knight and the chef. "You avoided harm in one conflict already this day, and you would be ill-advised to tempt fate a second time."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

"Spilled soup makes no appearance in any section of the Criminal Code," Aino says, stony-faced. "That is a matter with which the two of you must come to terms. Peaceably."

The Judge turns to face the gaping hole in the tavern front. "Fio," she calls. "Go get Judge Watz, and tell him to bring the malboros. There has been a fatality."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino's hand immediately slaps out, clamping her hat back onto her head. The ruby pin is buried deep in her palm, though the ragged remains of her ear are briefly exposed to the room.

"Aye...'ries," the Judge says, with a tight smile. "But you must excuse my formality. I am in the depths of my duties, and it behooves a Judge to comport themselves with equal fairness and tact to all they serve, be they stranger or respected friend."

She takes a moment to smooth out her robe of office, then once composed, looks at Aries.

"Is this latest recruiting drive from the Knights Zodiac anything to do with the recent resurgence of the Red Wings, by chance?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino spreads her hands wide in a shrug. Since she's a viera, that's pretty drat wide indeed.

"It was my intent to pursue the Red Wings by myself, but operating in a group might well increase our chances of a successful hunt. I would join your company, if you would have me."

The judge turns to the viera knight. "Knight Aries, would you be joining us on this expedition?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Previously

Aino dips her head in respect as Watz arrives on the scene. She doesn't like him, but politeness is a big deal between Judges.

"Judge Watz. I leave this in your capable appendages - the scene is as Fio will have described it to you. I have no standing orders out of the ordinary, only that I designate Fio to act as my proxy should the need arise. I trust in her judgement, much as I trust yours, and you may rest easy knowing that I will remedy any misstep she may take while I am gone."

She relays the details of the scene to Watz, bids him farewell, and leaves him to scrape up what's left of the beastmaster. She finds it best not to think about what the marlboro does with the corpses once he's done examining them.

Now

Aino arrived at the dock with her meager bag of possessions and Fio in tow. She's carrying on a murmured conversation with the ex-thief, mostly relating the details of what to do and not do while the viera is away. The Judge displays little to no reaction at the young woman pointing guns in people's faces. She does raise an eyebrow at Sol's question, though.

"Perhaps the young master is of a monastic order," she says to Sol. "Or perhaps it is simply my recollections that have become muddled by extent and involvement. It is the Knights Zodiac that unshackled the Kritrarchy and Empire, so that all Judges may freely and fairly enforce the Law, unburdened by Imperial influence."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino actually cracks a smile.

There was always one onboard every ship. They were always punctilious, working their checklists and ledgers with utmost scrupulousness, rising near the top of their organizations without the drive or charisma to achieve actual command. This one was not a moogle, though.

She hadn't thought about Serino in quite some time. He'd mostly been a pest, back in the bad old days, always grumbling about procedure and protocol. But there was that time in Moorabella he'd faced down an entire squad of angry bangaa, demanding they show their paperwork before he'd let them onboard. It'd saved her quite a lot of trouble, and pain, most likely.

Aino stands up and brushes off her robes, towering above the functionary. "Of course. I beg your forbearance, sir. I am Aino, Judge, and it has been a great deal of time since I have been aboard an airship as fine as this. Do not concern yourself, I shall take my leave; protocol is to be followed, after all."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino murmurs an affirmative at Aries' comment, but keeps quiet. She's moving around pretty sure-footed for someone with a severe wound, though.

The judge thinks back to her knowledge of Serenity. She'd never been, but there were old records in the archives indicating a fairly large thieves' ring operated near the city quite a while ago, making off with the artifacts and knowledge of the Black Mages. No word on what had happened to either the victims or the perpetrators, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino cocks her head and narrows her eyes at some of these proceedings, but it doesn't seem like any greater level of suspicion than a judge normally has for pretty much anything ever.

"I am afraid I do not follow your plight. What prevents you from removing the corpse of this fell beast from your waters?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino nods her assent to this journey. If nothing else, it would behoove her to keep an eye on these maniacs.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino slips down the rope ladder like a seasoned airship crewman, immediately moving to the edge of the balcony and drawing her sword. The sound of the lurking monster elicits a grinding of teeth from the judge, but she tightens her grip on her blade and makes ready to move out once the others were down.

Iron Willin' up in here.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino follows in her fellow Viera's thumping footsteps, acting with a little less power and a little more grace. The judge kicks off the top of the stairs, putting those bunny-person legs to use. She skids to a halt below, throwing up sparks from the metal soles of her boots.

Jumpin' flash. Rolled a 12. Couldn't think of anything clever to do just yet.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino's feeling really clever, right up until the floor explodes and she's dumped into a pit.

I got nothin', so I'll take my chances. Sorry my sweet kicks landed us in a Michael Bay movie, everyone.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

The last place Aino expected to find herself after falling into the deep pool of a Behemoth's lair was ejected into in the arms of a smuggler, but it's not the strangest thing that's happened to her. The judge permits herself a raised eyebrow in Lojack's direction before she hops down, but gives the bangaa a comradely slap on the arm.

Aino catches sight of her counterpart viera, hammer poised behind the monster. There was an old theives' trick suitable for this situation - distract the mark while your accomplice does the important work. To that end, Aino skitters away from Lojack and shouts a stream of curses at the Behemoth, using words vile enough to make even a seasoned sky pirate blush.

Gonna try and use Intimidating on this guy to keep him distracted for Mellt. 8.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino can't arrest a Behemoth, and trying to stab it with her little blade's not going to do much but make it angrier, but running away - that she can handle.

The Judge kicks up and off a slab of rubble, bouncing from point to jagged point to keep her speed up.

Ninjaing on out with Agile 2, Evasive 1, and Quick 2. Have to use IC at work, but home internet's been worse lately, so here's a 10.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Question: Mellt, Felize and Aino all got out of dodge, but Lojak, Aubrey and our NPC are still in trouble. Is there anything we can do via mundane means to help them? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do in this scene aside from "try not to die."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino stands ready to assist as well, although her icy facade is a little spoiled by how awkwardly she's hovering around Mellt and Felize.

Helping with, uh...Quick? Iron-willed? Intimidating?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

"Run, probably," Aino says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Aino

Aino shrugs expansively. "If you are wrong, in the worst case, we will not have long to regret your decision."

• Locked thread