Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Aubrey
Hp: 3o | Mp: 6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Aubrey had been enjoying her quiet meal. She had worked all morning hunting down the so called Lindbur Wolf, which the locals claimed had been terrorizing their livestock. It had been no small task, the beast was surprisingly cunning but the reward was worth it. Good fortune further smiled on her when she stumbled into an apparent battle between this particular eatery's two cooks. She'd paid up front for a simple bowl of stew, only to find herself inundated with meal options before she'd even finished! She wasn't even sure where the giant braggart Viera had come from. An opportunist of some sort, no doubt drawn here by the ruckus the pair of chefs was generated in their game of one-upsmanship.

The Gria had been content to simply continue making the most of the situation, after all, flying was hard work and was an excellent way to work up an appetite. But Mellt, as she'd called herself, seemed all too quick to make light of the samurai's eating pace in between the tales of her exploits. To this, Aubrey had quietly, patiently remarked, "it's not a race. And hours after you are laying on the floor clutching your belly, groaning about how you ate too much, I will still be sitting here happily eating, happily content."

The winged girl watched the antics of the two cooks while Mellt seemed to ignore the Gria's patent advice and continued rambling about her brigand-smashing. When Aubrey was finally invited to speak, she politely obliged.

"Some time ago, the Count Monglane of Moorabella had conspired to unseat the Marquis of Camoa, who was a nephew of the Archduke of that time. The gambit had proven not quite as successful as the Count had hoped," Aubrey explained, waggling her fork at Mellt while speaking with her mouth half-full, "although Marquis Garin was assassinated, the plot had been exposed. Archduke Ceodore was furious, and along with the Golden Janissaries, I was dispatched to bring Monglane to justice aboard the Falcon."

"But the Count had learned of our coming, and tried to escape into the north in his airship," the Gria paused for another bite, enveloping a fork laden with spiced noodles before continuing, "but he could not outrun the Falcon. When we caught up, the guns of my companions were simply not accurate enough to be effective, so I flew from my ship to his, slew those guards of his who would not lay down their arms and then I took Monglane's head. With it, I flew back to the Falcon and later presented it to His Grace."

Stuffing her face with another mouthful the Gria wistfully sighed, her eyes looking off into some faraway place, "sometimes I wonder if those days were not the better ones."

Blinking, seemingly coming back to the present, she looked up at Mellt and smiled sheepishly as she slurped up the remainder of a noodle that had been dangling out of the corner of her mouth.

pre:

Gria Samurai

Health: 30   Endurance: 60   Defense: 7 (2 Armor)   Initiative: 5

Abilities: 26
Ability:           Level:   Notes:                                           
Agile                3      -
Attack               1      -
Cute!                2      Because the FFTA description says so.
Evasive              2      -
Flight               3      Gria have wings.
Gear                 1      See Equipment entry below
Iron-Willed          2      -
Knowledge            4      Iaido, Samurai Job Command Ability
Quick                3      -
Sixth Sense          2      -
Strong               1      -
Vigorous             2      +20 Endurance

Weaknesses: -21
Weakness:          Level:   Notes:                                           
Bizarre Appearance   -1     Gria are extremely rare this far east.
Code of Conduct      -2     Bushido. She's all chivalrous and such.
Frail                -1     -10 Health
Fussy                -1     -
Hatred               -2     Guns (= misguided Romandan assassins.)
Ineptitude           -2(-1) Chocobo Handling
Kind-Hearted         -1     -
Obsession            -2     Getting better katanas.
Overconfident        -1     She's the best she is at what she does.
Poor                 -3     Paying jobs are far and few between.
Sensitivity, Height  -1     She's short.
Stubborn             -2     -
Wanted               -3     By Weyland Almace, Archduke of Romanda.

Equipment:         Level:   Notes:                                           
(Katana) Asura       0      Enables certain Iaido Commands
(Armor) Hempen Robe  1      +2 Armor, -1 Vulnerability, Fire

Command:             Roll:  DX:  Cost:  Limit?: Notes:                       
Fight                 5      5    -      -      -
Iaido  (The weapon named in each command is required.)
  Asura, Fang         7      9    5      5      Sacrifices hit for power.
  Asura, Sword Slap   12     -    5      5      Auto-Paralyze for 5 turns.
  Asura, Spirit Blade 9      7    5      5      Fatiguing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 6o/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

"I--," Aubrey started just as the weight of the Viera's arm came down upon her shoulder, "I'm just a simple wanderer, I'm not sure I'm the sort of companion you'd want."

Not that the little samurai was adverse to adventuring, or being an adventuring companion. Just that a mental image of Mellt getting into bar fights in every town they visited, and consequently her own guilt by association, was something that the Gria couldn't seem to get out of her head. Endless bar fights. The horned girl shuddered just as Mellt was distracted by a Bangaa and rose to meet the perceived challenge. Relieved of the weight on her tiny frame, Aubrey briefly twitched and adjusted her wings until they felt comfortable resting again before sizing up the situation that was now unfolding in front of her.

"No one's looking for trouble," Aubrey remarked, still remaining seated. Trouble this far west always seemed to end with Judges showing up, and that was the sort of trouble most people didn't want. Herself included.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 55/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Aubrey had sighed when the Bangaa made his bold trouble-seeking declaration. It wasn't any of her business, she'd decided. But at least then it looked like a brawl that had the potential to cut her meal short wasn't going to break out. Then the behemoth decided to come crashing through, and spelling an end to her mealtime anyhow.

She didn't have time to consider the absurdity of the situation; an apparent madman riding on a behemoth with a host of other creatures trailing behind. With the Viera converging upon the behemoth, the samurai decided it was best to mop up the other beasts while they kept the maned monstrosity busy. With the powerful beating of her wings, she launched herself at the Ahriman, rapidly closing the gap! At the last moment, she draws her weapon out, the silvery blade glinting in the dim light! In a split-second the long curved blade lashes at the Ahriman's leathery side and returned to its sheath! Only a fading afterimage of the blade's path serves as evidence that it had ever been drawn.

Blatting the Ahriman with Asura, Fang! 15!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 5o/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Single-mindedly, Aubrey moves from the site of the felled Ahriman towards the panther unaccosted by Mellt. Whatever the silvery-haired knight was talking about, it didn't seem readily apparent to the winged girl. There were more important matters to attend to! Wordlessly, silently, she descends upon the big cat from above! Her sword flickers from it's scabbard, lashing out and returned to rest in the blink of an eye!

Already going to need to buy a new Asura soon! Asura, Fang on the not-Mellt-hit Panther! 5! (Ahahahaha! Getting my bad rolls out of the way early, I hope!) Also, this is just straight-up single-target damage attack with a DX value of 9 should it actually succeed.

Hopefully I roll a little better when it comes time to Black Hole Saber defend. I'm just not quite sure if I should be doing that in this post or not!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 45/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

The diminutive samurai had no idea where that chef lept out from, and any questions on how to best avoid another such collision in the future quickly went out the window as the Gria's Gil departed her side! A lightning quick hand wasn't fast enough, a finger brushing against the side of the bag, then the briefest moment of hope as the drawstring hooked around her finger! Aubrey almost got to sigh in relief, but her precarious hold on the coinpurse only caused the tie holding it closed to become undone and a river of Gil spilled out and was sucked into the void! The empty bag then flapped off her finger and followed her reward money into the abyss.

The normally calm and demure woman inwardly seethed at her circumstances! Currently indignantly splayed upon the floor and not in the air where she should be, Aubrey took steps to remedy this; immediately getting back to her feet and launching herself into the air! Once this was over, there had better be more money materialize from somewhere or there was going to be trouble. But for now, she decided to vent her fury on the source of all these problems, the behemoth and the idiot riding it!

Rising up into the air, she descends upon the beast! Aubrey's sword flickers out and back into it's scabbard as she passes by the gargantuan beast, touching down briefly before pushing herself back up into the air! This was the first time she'd ever faced a behemoth, and she suspected that it's hide might be even thicker than the stories she'd heard! She would have to remember this for next time.

Could've been worse, but it could've been a lot better. 8! Single target with a DX of 9.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Originally Aubrey had been intent on extracting every little bit of gil she could from the man to whom the voracious abyss portal had belonged. But, in the immediate aftermath of the battle she had found herself in an advantageous position, able to get her grubby little mitts on what appeared to be a significant portion of the spoils, a sword whose intricately ornate scabbard that practically spoke promises about the quality of the blade that rested therein. Wagging her tail rather excitedly and hoisting the weapon a little higher, the samurai boldly declares, "I'm taking this. If services are needed, then this shall serve as an adequate initial payment for them. Besides, I have to at least break even after that hole ate my Gil!"

She shoots Sol a wounded look.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

The winged samurai watches the exchange between Sol and Aries with a mild sort of interest. Up until this point, although she'd known the Clandestine to be a nuisance, she hadn't considered them an immensely dangerous force as the Zodiac woman suggested they were. Nor had she expected anyone to come to their defense, for all of Sol's claims, all Aubrey knew of the Clandestine firsthand was that they actually were thieves and highwaymen. Her train of thought on this matter is immediately derailed when Aries discards the flail.

Pointing a finger at the discarded flail and looking at Aries, the Gria inquires in a not-entirely nonchalant fashion, "do you think that would fetch a reasonable price at a merchant?"

bahamut fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 26, 2015

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"I'm stronger than I look," Aubrey had issued in proud retort. It was easy to discount Gria as being weak, after all. They were small in comparison to most of the denizens of Ivalice, and admittedly they were virtually unknown this far east. But Aubrey would have proudly elaborated on the virtue and heritage of her kind (a race of noble warriors, of course), had anyone deigned to ask. The weapon had been monstrous in size, and even being able to pick it up wouldn't have meant she could have flown with it as she would have liked to do. This meant walking to the nearest merchant and getting rid of it as quickly as possible for any remotely feasible sort of sum.

I rolled with Strong to see if she could actually lift it. Amazingly enough, she got an 8! I'm still not sure this is good enough, so I left the potential success/fail aftermath intentionally vague.

At the airship dock, Aubrey had been largely content to follow, peering at various things with mild interest as she went. At one point she had offhandedly remarked that the Highwind wasn't quite the Falcon, but she imagined it would suffice for now. Fortunately, Cid had been out of earshot, as Aries suggested would be a good idea after the fact. She had decisively concluded, "as long as I get a good bed during all of this, I'll be happy."

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Indignantly shooed around the ship, Aubrey found herself inwardly grumbling about the selfish-seeming nature of the crew. But perhaps it was just that she'd been having a bad day so far. That flail had been incredibly heavy, and didn't net quite as much as she'd hoped. Still, a little bit of pocket change was better than absolutely none, she reminded herself.

Resigning herself to her fate, she tested the weight and handle of her newfound sword. It was not entirely the most wieldy thing by her reckoning, but she could tell it was well and honestly forged. The katana was not the only type of sword to be imbued with spirit, and the Gria was certain that with time she would find the spirit of this blade as well.

The second attack provided by the Talwar is Shakha, a Barrier Busting, Effective (x3), but Inaccurate (x2) assault that costs 10 Endurance! Also, sorry about the hold-up.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"Matoya, that witch was called," Aubrey remarks, "I've heard that one too, or at least a variation thereof. She was supposedly a survivor of Old Mysidia who had traded her original eyes for eyes of crystal that let her see the future. She was exiled from Serenity because it was said she wasn't just controlling the future, but directing things towards the future she desired. They had taken her eyes and smashed them before they closed their gates to her, and so she cursed them in response."

"I'd always wondered though," the Gria adds contemplatively, "if she could see the future, wouldn't she have foreseen her own exile?"

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

While aboard the Highwind, Aubrey had inwardly lamented the condition of her sword. No matter how much care she tried to lavish on it to improve its condition, the weapon would inevitably be worn down, or worse, shatter. Finding that foreign sword was a stroke of good fortune, but she was certain it would meet a similar fate as well. Thus, after the group had arrived in Serenity, Aubrey immediately took to snooping around the town.

Past experience had taught her that the stability of town-life tended to breed a certain recklessness and indifference to certain sorts of belongings. Indeed, back when she had a steady paying job in Romanda she routinely misplaced items and never thought much of it, but now that she was on the road the adventurer mentality had settled in. The little Gria took her time sauntering around the town and casually inspecting unimportant-looking barrels and crates, occasionally poking her head into the tall grass that had a habit of creeping up in the shade of houses and shops. You never know what you might find.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"Oh," Aubrey exclaims in surprise! She immediately abandons her efforts, snapping back upright and whirling about to face her interrogator, "a-a little lost I suppose, I was just sort of got caught up looking around. The last magic city I'd visited was Gariland, and Serenity is so very different than it, to say nothing of where I'm from, which isn't very magical at all!"

Swishing her tail back and forth, the Samurai laughs at both her observation and her situation, sounding surprisingly sincere about it.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"The potion? Oh yeah," Aubrey delightfully remarks, "I found this in the long grass over there. I wasn't sure who's it was."

"That is a most excellent sewing job," the winged girl says rather astutely, squarely eyeing the bear before returning her attention to the girl, "and it would be my pleasure to help you deliver it."

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Aubrey didn't bother with the ladder, of course, having used her wings to ride the winds down to the balcony. She seemed a little less leery about the potential precariousness of their situation, actively moving towards the stairs with only the briefest of pauses upon hearing the echoing roar before continuing. The greatest ally in avoiding detection in situations like these was speed, to be there and gone before being detected.

"Let's be quick about this," the Gria says, looking back towards the others sounding optimistic and confident about things, "the faster, the safer."

A positive attitude also kind of helps.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"What is it with Behemoths lately?" Aubrey asks, her brow furrowed in frustration. Still, she wasn't above taking advantage of Lojak's certainty about halting the beast and electing following the others. Rapidly beating her wings, the little Samurai lifted off from the ground, gliding over the tricky uneven steps and the patches of strange funguar ichor. Unfortunately the woman was small, even by Gria standards, and even keeping herself aloft took a lot of effort, never mind actually trying to carry someone with her. She was reduced to little better than a hovering cheerleader, spinning about mid-air to call back towards the oncoming others, "c'mon, guys! The coast is clear!"

Maybe it's cheating, I dunno! But Flight + Quick nets Aubrey an 18!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Somehow, she shouldn't have been surprised that the floor gave way, but she found herself unable to avoid feeling somewhat consternated at this sudden turn of events. With her feet dangling above the newly formed chasm, she called out to Felize, "hurry! That thing is almost upon you!"

Aubrey herself wasn't yet committed to a course of action. She wanted to help, but there was little she could do. Swooping down below just in time to have a behemoth crush her from above wasn't exactly an appealing choice, and if Felize and Millicent were able to get across they'd probably need more protecting than those below. Everything more or less hinged on the chef's ability to traverse the space, and there was little the Gria could do to help!

Just posting for the sake of posting. Aubrey's not doing anything quite yet, aside from staying in the air/away from the Behemoth.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Her course of action had been decided, and Felize, Millicent and herself would simply have to meet up with the others somewhere further down the line. The Samurai was sure the others would make do in the meantime, and at least it wouldn't be long before they did manage to regroup. Or so she hoped. The Gria pressed forward as best she could.

Aubrey's holding nothing back, now. Agile + Evasive + Flight + Quick to avoid unwanted Funguar problems: 12!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"I'm gonna go back to see if I can help," the flying Samurai declares as they reach the swinging bridges! Darting towards the others, she wasn't exactly sure what she could do that wouldn't also cause trouble for her escaping companions, but the good news was that she had a little bit more time to think about it, she wouldn't be arriving immediately. When it came to flying, Aubrey prided herself on her stamina, not speed. This is what she got for not choosing to become a Time Mage, she inwardly told herself.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey
Hp: 3o/3o | Mp: 60/6o | Hit: 5 | Atk: 4 | Eva: 7 | Def: 2 | Spd: 5

Apparently the others had the Behemoth well in hand! As though she had just forgotten that simply holding onto the horn was weight enough to ground her, she decided that flying back up to Felize and Millicent would be a good idea. She was certain the reason why she was on the ground now was because she had been unprepared for the sudden burden of the horn, but she could remedy that. She wasn't a good flier, she was a great one. So, when she beat her Gria wings with ever-increasing effort and speed yet still remained firmly footed in the shallow water, it was really weird.

Further thought on the matter was immediately filed away for later when the cavern shook from the Behemoth's furious roar. Slinging the treasured horn over one shoulder and clutching at it with both her hands she decided to do what any rational person unwilling to let go of the veritable treasure trove that had literally been dropped in her lap would do: run like hell!

Running like hell! Quick & Evasive nets her a 6!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

A lifetime of dependency on her wings had made the urge to fly when in danger practically instinct, and even though her frantic flapping didn't get her anywhere it didn't stop her from continuing to try. Glancing down at the mage latched onto her, a grasp almost as vice-like as her own hold on the Behemoth Horn, a thought occurred to her, "don't you know Warp or something?!"

Whatever Aubrey does is entirely dependent on Millicent's possession of Warp, so she's not quite doing anything just yet.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Well, that was half her problem solved! Warp Two would have been more thoughtful, though! Aubrey had just managed to get Millicent's package tucked away and her now-freed legs wrapped around her pricey treasure with no clear plan on exactly how to free it when Lojak's giant hand clamped down on the horn, suddenly sending the Gria whirling upwards!

Everything around her except for the horn she was on and herself was spinning! Furiously beating her wings to try and get things rightwise and make sure the horn landed safely where she could easily pick it up afterwards. Because, as much as it pained her to let go of the veritable mint for even just a moment, the idea of abandoning Lojak sat even less well with her. It would be okay, she kept telling herself as she returned to the air, offering the horn one last furtive glance before vanishing back into the hole to help get Lojak unstuck!

Although she was dwarfed in size by her Bangaa companion, that didn't stop her from trying!

Gria are stronger than they look! Trying to get Lojak unwedged with a 10!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

Waving the package of purifying salts in the sight of the others, Aubrey asks, "so, all we need to do is deposit this stuff in the water?"

"If that's the case, I could just fly down there, drop it in, and then we could go," she continues, then taking greater stock of the group's surroundings, "...not that I'm entirely sure where we'd be going afterwards, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Aubrey

"I am in agreement, about the salt-adding," Aubrey adds before casting a dubious look in Felize's direction, watching the chef extract a small portion of the bubbling spot, "...I'm not so sure about that, however."

• Locked thread