Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
or 9:25 for sleephavers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
todays service will be the rule 34 express to the gas chamber

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:firstpost:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
this thread is shuttling poo poo to my monitor

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
funy number

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
is this one of those silicon valley things so nerds don't have to share a bus with poors

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
6:30b

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jony ive aces posted:

is this one of those silicon valley things so nerds don't have to share a bus with poors

yes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jony ive aces posted:

Serious post: Company provided/subsidized commuter buses are a good thing. But of course everything in the Valley is poo poo for poo poo fuckers, so of course it's implemented in the most regressive way possible.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what'd you do this time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

Serious post: Company provided/subsidized commuter buses are a good thing. But of course everything in the Valley is poo poo for poo poo fuckers, so of course it's implemented in the most regressive way possible.

why? the company pays taxes, which subsidize mass transit, which includes buses. why not ride the bus?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
yeah but i guess if you live in an idiot hell america without proper public transport i guess a company doing its own is making the best of a bad situation

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bloody posted:

why? the company pays taxes, which subsidize mass transit, which includes buses. why not ride the bus?

Well usually the municipal bus service won't go to the company campus because no matter how many people work at Google, it's not worth it to create a dedicated bus route there. That is where google comes in and specifically pays to create their own routes (that are available for use by non-google employees).

The way it works in the valley, afaik, google buys their own buses, and sends them on select existing routes only for google employees, and bars non-employees from using them, while also using existing bus lanes etc. Sure they pay some amount of taxas, but it's creating tiered access to what should be a public good.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

sorry, i only ride upper deckers

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Dolomite posted:

sorry, i only ride upper deckers

same but "big peckers"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Powercrazy posted:

Well usually the municipal bus service won't go to the company campus because no matter how many people work at Google, it's not worth it to create a dedicated bus route there. That is where google comes in and specifically pays to create their own routes (that are available for use by non-google employees).

The way it works in the valley, afaik, google buys their own buses, and sends them on select existing routes only for google employees, and bars non-employees from using them, while also using existing bus lanes etc. Sure they pay some amount of taxas, but it's creating tiered access to what should be a public good.

I'm not trying to shaggar here, but how is this a problem. You could be focusing on the two tiered prison system, two tiered education system, two tiered employment prospects, two tiered anything else.

Instead you are worried about how a private company chooses to provide perks to its employees? I am sure google is paying for the taxes (gas taxes too) , licensing, and complying with all laws. If the municipality cared about what google is doing, they could tax private buses and use the money to fund new bus routes.

I worked at a lovely megacorp that had a really good, cheap cafeteria. It would be the same as decrying my company for not letting the public eat there

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

keyvin posted:

I'm not trying to shaggar here, but how is this a problem. You could be focusing on the two tiered prison system, two tiered education system, two tiered employment prospects, two tiered anything else.

Instead you are worried about how a private company chooses to provide perks to its employees? I am sure google is paying for the taxes (gas taxes too) , licensing, and complying with all laws. If the municipality cared about what google is doing, they could tax private buses and use the money to fund new bus routes.

I worked at a lovely megacorp that had a really good, cheap cafeteria. It would be the same as decrying my company for not letting the public use the cafeteria.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It was such a good point I had to post it twice.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

keyvin posted:

I am sure google is paying for the taxes (gas taxes too) , licensing, and complying with all laws.

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

keyvin posted:

I worked at a lovely megacorp that had a really good, cheap cafeteria. It would be the same as decrying my company for not letting the public eat there

a more analogous situation would be: what if your company took over a public park for a bbq every day?

that's not fair to the non-employees who want to use the park

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

a bus that goes to google's hq isn't a public good and theres no reason whatsoever that tax payers should fund it. let google pay for it. no one is being hurt here.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

a more analogous situation would be: what if your company took over a public park for a bbq every day?

this is a pretty good analogy because no one wanted to use the public park until the company started using it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

a bus that goes to google's hq isn't a public good and theres no reason whatsoever that tax payers should fund it. let google pay for it. no one is being hurt here.

except for local transit which is displaced and wear/tear on the roads and infrastructure, but whatever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also busses are bad in general and really should be banned from roads

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

except for local transit which is displaced and wear/tear on the roads and infrastructure, but whatever

local transit isn't displaced cause local transit wasn't going to google. also if poor people are to be believed, buses reduce wear by removing vehicles from the road (this is a myth but w/e)

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

id ride a bus if it could fly

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

if google buses can use city bus stops, i should too. i pay my gas tax, comply with all laws and licensing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shaggar posted:

It's a free rider problem (google is the free rider).

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

How is that analogous? A BBQ sits in one spot for 8 hours, and a bus occupies a section of road (not at a stop) for... 5 seconds? How does a bus in a lane keep other people from using it? What if I want to send a loving across town? Does the existence of UPS trucks deny me that right?

Bill Gates is driving on i-40. Everyone else that needs to use it is just hosed I guess.

duTrieux. posted:

Roads that were built for anyone to use as long as they paid a gas tax. Of all things to complain about regarding wear and tear (trucking), a bus (which reduces wear and tear) is not one of them.

Dolomite posted:

if google buses can use city bus stops, i should too. i pay my gas tax, comply with all laws and licensing

If you are driving a vehicle that can hold more than 12 people and sought pre-approval, I don't think anyone would stop you. Google is using buses, not limousines

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

keyvin posted:

How is that analogous? A BBQ sits in one spot for 8 hours, and a bus occupies a section of road (not at a stop) for... 5 seconds? How does a bus in a lane keep other people from using it?

because the google busses stop for like 20-30 minutes at a time?

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Great thread about computers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

It's a free rider problem (google is the free rider).

what is google getting for free?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

They found that rents around the stops used by the Google buses were up to 20% higher than in otherwise comparable areas. They also found that 30-40% of tech workers would in fact move closer to their jobs if the bus service did not exist.

basically rich people are making GBS threads it up for everyone else, but that's not new

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

black man 3 posted:

Great thread about computers

welcome to YOSPOS

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

keyvin posted:

How is that analogous? A BBQ sits in one spot for 8 hours, and a bus occupies a section of road (not at a stop) for... 5 seconds? How does a bus in a lane keep other people from using it? What if I want to send a loving across town? Does the existence of UPS trucks deny me that right?

Bill Gates is driving on i-40. Everyone else that needs to use it is just hosed I guess.

Roads that were built for anyone to use as long as they paid a gas tax. Of all things to complain about regarding wear and tear (trucking), a bus (which reduces wear and tear) is not one of them.

If you are driving a vehicle that can hold more than 12 people and sought pre-approval, I don't think anyone would stop you. Google is using buses, not limousines

i recognize the text in your avatar. who gave you that avatar, and why

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

keyvin posted:

they didn't ask, they used the implied threat of moving if the city doesn't submit.

also, the transit company may not pay fuel taxes:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/refund/bus.htm
http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe231db.pdf

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

because the google busses stop for like 20-30 minutes at a time?

And it prevents the city buses from operating? If so, sanfran should do something. That isn't a problem inherent with google operating shuttles.

Lol if you think anyone who rides a shuttle to work is "rich". Slightly better off than you are sure. Rich? Not so sure.

You guys are bringing up a lot of things that have broad implications in society, but are using the dumbest thing to rally around.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

As a Millennial I posted:

i recognize the text in your avatar. who gave you that avatar, and why

I gave it to myself. I thought it was funny on the okc goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i don't believe you

• Locked thread