Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Stew Beef's back for 2015, but Stephen's an immortal now riding with Santa Claus, Abraham Lincoln, and Alex Trebek, so Larry Wilmore is taking over the post-Daily Show pre-@Midnight spot starting January 19th. Who knows what that show's going to be like?

Subscribe to the Daily Show Podcast Without Jon Stewart, it's kind of neat.

Last year's thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
How great would it be if going for a high five on the fuckin Cowboys owner, not even getting it, and still awkwardly shoving himself into a hug, would be what makes people hate Chris more.

Dallas Cowboys: king unmakers in the real world as well as the NFL.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm already sick of the 2016 election.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like how the guy who wrote that article for Time about how hosed up the American medical system is came to a conclusion that isn't a single-payer system (which is never going to happen, but it's the best way to get poo poo under control). I haven't seen the extended interview yet, but if he hasn't had a change of heart ever since that surgery, then everything he says rings hollow.

But he's absolutely right that costs haven't come down, considering that there were no measures to actually do such a thing included in the ACA/Obamacare. It put total blind faith in the free market, which is a terrible thing to do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm already sick of the 2016 election.

I don't think we're going to see something as magical as 2012's Republican Idol competition again in our lifetimes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

I don't think we're going to see something as magical as 2012's Republican Idol competition again in our lifetimes.
Word is that Rick Perry wants another go at it. His strategy is actually "I'm wearing glasses now so I'm smarter." Nice going, Clark Kent.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Y-Hat posted:

Word is that Rick Perry wants another go at it. His strategy is actually "I'm wearing glasses now so I'm smarter." Nice going, Clark Kent.

I thought I heard that Santorum was also planning on trying again. Now we just need Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain for maximum comedy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The thing that really got me about Herman Cain was how he had a sense of self-awareness about how ridiculous his campaign was.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Y-Hat posted:

The thing that really got me about Herman Cain was how he had a sense of self-awareness about how ridiculous his campaign was.

Just a sense?

e: Instead of "Something else entirely," could the third option be "just not very good" or something?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

You know you've gone too far on the tanning when you can blend in with your gavel.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
We missed out on Speaker Louie Gohmert? :smith:

That would have been a bottomless sack of gold.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Myst Hat posted:

We missed out on Speaker Louie Gohmert? :smith:

That would have been a bottomless sack of gold.

Ron Paul's ears perked up a little.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I'm sorry, I missed this guy's intro. He's talking about D&D, right?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jason Jones' Staten Island report was the best thing. I'd love to see a debate between Joey Bagadonuts and a used washer/dryer.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This was from earlier in that Joe Biden moment of Zen.

:chloe:

The guy on the left is the father I'm guessing because he has that "Get the gently caress away from my daughter." expression he's trying to fight back.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JohnSherman posted:

I'm sorry, I missed this guy's intro. He's talking about D&D, right?

D&D, Free Republic, /pol, Tumblr, any political discussion place that gets echo chamber-y really. I thought "Isolation leads to extremism" was a well known fact at this point but good on him for doing a study that proved it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe it's because this thread didn't take off yet; or maybe it's because of less interest without the Report, but I was totally expecting people to complain about "South Park/truth in the middle" here in response to the guest.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Maybe it's because this thread didn't take off yet; or maybe it's because of less interest without the Report, but I was totally expecting people to complain about "South Park/truth in the middle" here in response to the guest.

This isn't really a "truth is in the middle" thing though. More extreme viewpoints are just easier to measure against each other. If you put a bunch of generally open-minded, tolerant, and nice people in the same place for a while they're probably going to become more open-minded, tolerant, and nice too :v:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I too didn't find it "truth middle-y"; but I'm way used to TVIV and D&D-types jumping onto any chance of calling something South Park, especially with Jon Stewart even though he has a well defined viewpoint.

The study was about tribalism and human nature, not about finding the "true" middle ground of a specific polarizing issue.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So actual facts say helping the homeless works better? LIBRUL CUNSPIRISY!

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Well lets ship all these bums to that liberal paradise in Utah

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so I get why lovely states like Texas and Florida aren't doing it, but if loving Utah's doing it, why aren't at least 15 other states doing it?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay so I get why lovely states like Texas and Florida aren't doing it, but if loving Utah's doing it, why aren't at least 15 other states doing it?

Because it's almost literally a Church-run state, and American Christianity has decided that the Pope needs to shut his heretic mouth.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Because it's almost literally a Church-run state, and American Christianity has decided that the Pope needs to shut his heretic mouth.

Isn't American Christianity mostly protestant though?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

jojoinnit posted:

Isn't American Christianity mostly protestant though?

Even the Catholics in the US are pretty protestant-like. And there are more protestants overall, but if you go down to denomination, then Roman Catholics form the biggest one, according to Wikipedia.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I live in downtown Salt Lake and there are plenty of homeless people around, but it's true that it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I'll admit I could probably waste a lot of time on the Nazi plan to bring back Aurochs because that's a subject that fascinates me, but holy poo poo that segment on Salt Lake homelessness was amazing in every way and I have no problem with the fact that others would rather talk about that instead.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh right, the NYPD "protest" that shows how pointless their Guilliani policies were for anything but their own budget.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I love how this is totally not the response that the NYPD expected from their pouty little strike.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Acquilae posted:

I love how this is totally not the response that the NYPD expected from their pouty little strike.

Bonus points for the Union reps using "don't arrest people unless it's absolutely necessary" in their instructions. As if that wasn't their ideal job description in the first place.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'll admit I could probably waste a lot of time on the Nazi plan to bring back Aurochs because that's a subject that fascinates me, but holy poo poo that segment on Salt Lake homelessness was amazing in every way and I have no problem with the fact that others would rather talk about that instead.

Honestly, "lets create legendary bovine for our supermen to wrestle" is like, the first and only thing that made me wish I could like Nazis.

Mitch McConnell can eat poo poo.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Can we talk about the new guy? I thought he did a pretty good job but I don't know anything about him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Acquilae posted:

Not enforcing parking violations or traffic laws will do wonders for their public image, just not for the reasons they want.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
But won't someone think of the unsung victims of this strike?

Like, you know... bail bondsmen.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/lawyers-bail-bondsmen-say-nypd-arrest-slowdown-cutting-into-their-business/

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The correspondents for The Nightly Show, Shenaz Treasury, Ricky Velez, and Mike Yard.

I can imagine this show being a bit more like Totally Biased than TDS or the Report.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Echo Chamber posted:

The correspondents for The Nightly Show, Shenaz Treasury, Ricky Velez, and Mike Yard.

I can imagine this show being a bit more like Totally Biased than TDS or the Report.

I'd be totally okay with that. I'm confident that Larry Wilmore can be a lot funnier and entertaining than Kamau Bell. I'd much rather it be its own thing than a pale imitation of TDS or Colbert, just as I'm sure that nobody wanted Colbert to be another half hour of TDS.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's also important that Larry stake out his own identity. One of the reasons John Oliver's show worked, and Colbert's before him is, it wasn't just a Daily Show retread.

Speaking of John Oliver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1EtSBxm0S4

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 10, 2015

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christ, I hope it's nothing like Totally Biased.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bango skank posted:

Christ, I hope it's nothing like Totally Biased.
As a black woman, Totally Biased was amazing to see, but I'll admit it was rough around the edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, and as a white person who isn't a piece of poo poo, I loving loved the show as well. It wasn't perfect, but it was at least trying to cover things that are literally life and death for the majority of minorities in this country. It was like TDS and Colbert and LWT in that way. If only FX hadn't split off all its decent comedy shows onto FXX and then killed them for low ratings (Legit as well as Totally Biased) when the channel is completely unknown to literally everyone...

• Locked thread