Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

real recognize real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Surprisingly, this is the least punchable photo of the guy I've ever seen.

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary
I love Rhonnie Chang. Am I all alone?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just caught up to tonight's episode. Highlights for the week for me was Jordan's Trump supporter panel and the two guys still voting for him even if we start a registry for Jewish people and the Fruit Ninja segment with...John Kasich? Trevor's Ben Carson impression is also great.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The truth is that Skreli's lawyer needs a lawyer too--he helped Skreli hide the fraud.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

FarmerHank posted:

I love Rhonnie Chang. Am I all alone?

I really liked his segment on voting machines. Other than that, he's just been okay in my opinion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Jordan is the one acing all the segments for me. His bad boys stint last night was great.

Also has anyone else noticed that the jokes have gotten a bit....I don't want to say edgier....but there is definitely an edge to them that I don't remember from Stewart's era.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I think Chang is pretty bad and Desi Whatever has been mostly forgettable. Roy Wood Jr. knocks it out every time though.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Ronnie rules. I think he needs more bits where he reacts to disappointment.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
As a Chinese-American I appreciated his breaking into Mandarin in that voting machine bit.

(it basically meant "what the gently caress, that can't be right)

Also, the crab thing may not have been super funny but it resonated with me because my mom loves crab and thus I've had to eat it a bunch. SO much work for so little meat.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 18, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kevyn posted:

I think Chang is pretty bad and Desi Whatever has been mostly forgettable. Roy Wood Jr. knocks it out every time though.

Chang has been great, but agree about Desi. she's been the weakest one.

Roy Williams is still my favorite

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zadroga Act extended for 75 years.

finally.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Zadroga Act extended for 75 years.

finally.

If only many of the people who needed it most weren't dead now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Chang has been great, but agree about Desi. she's been the weakest one.

She won my heart in the "Trevor's in the hospital" segment, when she smothered him with a pillow and hummed the Daily Show theme.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I have no complaints about the new show, except one: Trevor, i know you find yourself funny, but please stop laughing at your jokes all the time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't stop noticing how loudly Ronnie was slapping his hands together every 5 seconds myself :v:

At the moment he's just like Jordan was at the start of his run, and occasionally still is (his recent cooking bit was not that great either), a bit awkward and a bit forced but he'll get better.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Jordan Klepper went to Kalamazoo High School.

For some reason that just seems kinda perfect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

raditts posted:

If only many of the people who needed it most weren't dead now.

Republican Healthcare Plan: DIE QUICKLY.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I completely gave up on watching TDS like the last 3-4 months of Jon being there. I grew to hate every bit having Samantha Bee, Jason Jones and Kristen Schaal. It felt like every bit they did was the same exact thing over and over. Plus their timing is always off. Maybe they just gave up more towards the end because I just had to quit watching until Trevor took over.

Now that he has and I've caught up I'm loving the show again, everyone is miles better. Roy Jones obviously the best, his timing is always spot on. I like Desi a lot and don't consider her the weakest, Jordan would be. He's basically doing a Jason Jones impression for most of his bits, kinda annoying.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jordan Klepper, the weakest part of the current daily show lineup.

Sure is a cold winter we're having. Boy this water sure is dry. That Donald Trump fellow seems like a reasonable man with lots of good ideas.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Roy Williams is still my favorite

Botnit posted:

Roy Jones obviously the best

His name is Roy Wood Jr.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Any relation to James Woods?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

IRQ posted:

Jordan Klepper, the weakest part of the current daily show lineup.

Sure is a cold winter we're having. Boy this water sure is dry. That Donald Trump fellow seems like a reasonable man with lots of good ideas.

He was pretty mediocre for a while so I can see why that impression would stick. Man this is a solid cast though. Also very diverse and murderous. A winning combination.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Botnit posted:

I completely gave up on watching TDS like the last 3-4 months of Jon being there. I grew to hate every bit having Samantha Bee, Jason Jones and Kristen Schaal. It felt like every bit they did was the same exact thing over and over. Plus their timing is always off. Maybe they just gave up more towards the end because I just had to quit watching until Trevor took over.

Was Sam Bee even on the show more than like 4 or 5 times in the last year? Kristen Schaal even less so.

Kevyn posted:

His name is Roy Wood Jr.

He's talking about the guy that walked away from the show after like 2 appearances to pursue a career in boxing. You know, Michael Che.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Botnit posted:

and don't consider her the weakest, Jordan would be. He's basically doing a Jason Jones impression for most of his bits, kinda annoying.

Totally disagreed. Klepper is one of my favorites. His straight man routine is perfect. His segment with the Trump focus group was insane.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I don't think any of the current lineup are doing a bad job. If anything it still feels a bit like Trevor is still figuring it out more than the correspondents.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

jojoinnit posted:

I don't think any of the current lineup are doing a bad job. If anything it still feels a bit like Trevor is still figuring it out more than the correspondents.

I agree, there are no Josh Gads in this group. At worst, some are just less great. As I've said before, Noah couldn't have asked for a better crop of correspondents--at least before they get scouted by Hollywood and the networks.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
It benefits Noah that his gang is so good. It has given him time to find his footing, which I think he is doing very well. He still has some quirks that annoy me, but at least he isn't boring like Stewart was in his first few years (probably until the Bush administration went full wacko -- which I think was even before he took office because I'm recalling "but you didn't get elected").

The way I see it, we won't know how good Trevor is until a few years from now.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Everything's been excellent and all fears regarding TDS should be laid to rest.

The only correspondent I haven't genuinely enjoyed yet has been Ronnie Chieng, and I think that will change over time. (Or he'll just constantly be playing Ken Jeong's character from The Hangover...)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I see a lot of hand–wringing over Noah and Colbert's ratings as of late, should I be worried? It's gonna be a real bitch if Stewart and Colbert's respective moves end up long term unintentionally being the nail in the coffin of humorous progressive (read: just not bullshitty) TV media/commentary. I guess there's John Oliver, but being on HBO really limits your audience. I guess that's not true for Game of Thrones, but I'm not like, pirating seasons of Last Week Tonight.
Should I assume they're piloting such established flagships that they'll be bulletproof for a good while?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are online views being taken into consideration? Because that's the first thing that jumps to mind for me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
HBO isn't the small audience they used to be. GOT was a brilliant stroke that they've used to spring into many more potential customer/revenue streams. Colbert and TDS both get good viewership. Yes a network can be unhappy about a low % but they're far more targeted with content, ads, and youtube clips.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess we need a thread title for 2016 before someone starts a new thread.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Daily/Nightly Shows 2016: And Behold, it was good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Daily/Nightly Show 2016: No offense, but Lean the gently caress away from me

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Daily Show 2016: Colbert Show Pregame - Quality Comedy Delivery

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah/the rapid channel change to CBS for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
With time running out, I made a 2016 thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758829

• Locked thread