Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, and as a white person who isn't a piece of poo poo, I loving loved the show as well. It wasn't perfect, but it was at least trying to cover things that are literally life and death for the majority of minorities in this country. It was like TDS and Colbert and LWT in that way. If only FX hadn't split off all its decent comedy shows onto FXX and then killed them for low ratings (Legit as well as Totally Biased) when the channel is completely unknown to literally everyone...

If you're ever in LA you should check out Kamau's monthly-ish live show at Largo. I believe he does a regular one in SF too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, and as a white person who isn't a piece of poo poo, I loving loved the show as well. It wasn't perfect, but it was at least trying to cover things that are literally life and death for the majority of minorities in this country. It was like TDS and Colbert and LWT in that way. If only FX hadn't split off all its decent comedy shows onto FXX and then killed them for low ratings (Legit as well as Totally Biased) when the channel is completely unknown to literally everyone...
Glad to know me not liking a show makes me a piece of poo poo, I've been trying to nail down the reason for a while. :thumbsup:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Between seasons his hair got a lot more gray :eek:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I was referring to people who think that there's racial equality in this country, or even 'reverse' racism that makes it so that black people are somehow better off than whites, on the whole. Although that you felt the need to post that doesn't really help your case any, either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bango skank posted:

Glad to know me not liking a show makes me a piece of poo poo, I've been trying to nail down the reason for a while. :thumbsup:

Hey now, there are lots of reasons.

I'm a little behind on the episodes, but I just watched the one with Allison Williams. I'm not totally sure what she was plugging (I think it was the newest season of Girls?) but she's really quick at the back-and-forth banter. I didn't realize she was Brian Williams's daughter before this, either.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoever moved Kamau Bell to, like, fifty episodes a week made a huge mistake. The show was already hit and miss, but pushing so many episodes out really forced everything to be spread way too thin.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Totally Biased was worth it if only for his supernova burn on Ben Carson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3f1PdfZzNU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

raditts posted:

Having never seen Totally Biased, you're not exactly selling it by linking a joke that is on par with low effort flaming.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Totally Biased made me aware of Hari Kondabolu, so that alone justified its existence.

Yeah Hari can sometimes get annoying with his moral high horse, but he's usually funny while doing it so I'm cool with him.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

Having never seen Totally Biased, you're not exactly selling it by linking a joke that is on par with low effort flaming.

As a flaming expert I...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So was there a reason Obama and friends didn't show up for the French march thing, or is this something I'm just gonna have to deal with reading posts about on Facebook for the next couple of weeks?

Ah, time for noted shitbag Rupert Murdoch's stance on the issue.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

raditts posted:

He was too scared to straight up call him an uncle tom on the show. He said uncle Ben so it could be construed as the rice guy.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Probably because the host is clearly a huge Uncle Tom as well but whatever.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
please dont say "uncle tom" mr white internet rapper it's blowing my loving mind

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Fortunately for me I am not white and I'm actually the culmination of several generations of race traitors, leaving me with an extremely good immune system

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Probably because the host is clearly a huge Uncle Tom as well but whatever.

Hot takes, watch out

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is it just me or is everyone seeing a huge delay between the audio and video?

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I love crazy Florida stories.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was "Blowtorch tattoo removal" really a thing that happened? I'm pretty sure everything else on that checklist was.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Ugh, double interview segment with a lovely Republican Senator. I'm done for the night.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rubio is reaching way too hard for laughs here.

katium posted:

Ugh, double interview segment with a lovely Republican Senator. I'm done for the night.

As much as I miss Colbert and am waiting to see what Wilmore comes up with, I'm glad I can turn off the TV early and not miss anything.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Remember when this guy was there next big hope, then everyone found out water boy wasn't ready for prime time?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Discussing corrupt, powerful, legislation blocking institutions, and he brings up Uber vs. Taxi. :lol:

im gay fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 14, 2015

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Demeaning fast food workers :awesome:

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

im gay posted:

Demeaning fast food workers :awesome:

It truly is amazing to watch these people talk and how out of touch with reality they are out side of the country club.

For instance when they get my order wrong I think to my self for 8 bucks a hour I wouldn't give a poo poo either and would just throw random poo poo in the bag.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
At least it will be entertaining watching him pander to both sides of the Republican party with that stupid loving plan of his.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

raditts posted:

So was there a reason Obama and friends didn't show up for the French march thing, or is this something I'm just gonna have to deal with reading posts about on Facebook for the next couple of weeks?

It takes weeks of planning for the President's security detail even when he travels domestically. When you neatly gather several prominent world leaders in one location, mere days after a major event, you are just begging to be a target and Obama would be the cherry on top.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Winkie01 posted:

It truly is amazing to watch these people talk and how out of touch with reality they are out side of the country club.

For instance when they get my order wrong I think to my self for 8 bucks a hour I wouldn't give a poo poo either and would just throw random poo poo in the bag.

For 7.25 an hour I just hope they didn't rub their dick on my burger.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

I'm sorry but you can't be white and not a piece of poo poo. Please edit your post.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Le Pen reference :golfclap:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That was the most combative I've seen Jon in an interview in quite a while. In fact, the entire show from start to everything before Moment of Zen was a big gently caress You to Flordia and Rubio

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Boon posted:

That was the most combative I've seen Jon in an interview in quite a while. In fact, the entire show from start to everything before Moment of Zen was a big gently caress You to Flordia and Rubio
Yeah, I was actually surprised when he brought up the tax credit thing as bait instead of an olive branch. It's nice to see him go a round and get at least one solid hit in rather than the usual talking point pummeling he receives. :unsmith:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was surprised Rubio's dumb counter-argument to Jon bringing up seatbelt laws as an analogy for the ACA was "but that's a health issue!" instead of something like "putting on a seatbelt doesn't cost taxpayers anything." It would have been somewhat valid and wouldn't have left him wide open for Jon mocking him for not thinking loving health care is a health issue.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
The loving south.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This second segment is :stare: as all hell. What the gently caress Alabama.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I just found out a friend of mine is anti-abortion-rights. :( Ironically she volunteers at a rape crisis center and is fairly pro-feminism. She's just pretty naive and her dad is a typical bigoted religious South Carolina conservative. I don't want to belabor the issue but I keep trying to figure out how to explain to her that being pro-choice has nothing to do with "pro-abortion," it's about giving women access to have the procedure safely instead of severely risking their lives when they do it anyway.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I can understand the pro-life position.

I just cannot understand why the gently caress those same people want to limit access to contraception. That's where the argument goes from "you're taking a life!" to "Keep your legs shut, slut."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jessica Williams made that about as bearable as possible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

I just cannot understand why the gently caress those same people want to limit access to contraception. That's where the argument goes from "you're taking a life!" to "Keep your legs shut, slut."

The problem with the pro-life position is that it ranges from "none of your goddamn business" and "total hypocrisy because they typically don't give a poo poo about the Innocent Life once it's out of the womb," as the guy in that interview so clearly demonstrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Hazo posted:

I just found out a friend of mine is anti-abortion-rights. :( Ironically she volunteers at a rape crisis center and is fairly pro-feminism. She's just pretty naive and her dad is a typical bigoted religious South Carolina conservative. I don't want to belabor the issue but I keep trying to figure out how to explain to her that being pro-choice has nothing to do with "pro-abortion," it's about giving women access to have the procedure safely instead of severely risking their lives when they do it anyway.

This gets particularly grating for me. Now, its not impossible to see where the conflation comes from, but its one of those annoying 'correlation implies causation' arguments. The fact of the matter is, if a woman solidly, no doubts whatsoever, wishes to keep her pregnant child - whatever the circumstances in which it was created, as every person reacts to these things separately - then it wouldn't matter whether or not abortion is available, she is gonna have that baby (though this can get into issues of what rights the potential father should have in such discussions, but that's a point for another time). The people who primarily want the option open to them are those that are actually considering it anyway, because they are the ones who otherwise have their choice actively suppressed. And, you know, of course people when presented with the choice they have desired for so long will act on it. So the notion that pro-choice 'encourages' people to have abortions, rather than simply consider the matter freely, is like saying having the option of going to university 'encourages' people to seek higher learning. There are circumstances around it that may do so, but the option simply existing is not the actual cause (the perceived effects, both adverse and beneficial, are).

Narcissus1916 posted:

raditts posted:

The problem with the pro-life position is that it ranges from "none of your goddamn business" and "total hypocrisy because they typically don't give a poo poo about the Innocent Life once it's out of the womb," as the guy in that interview so clearly demonstrated.

Chalk this up to Abrahamic fundamentalism in most cases, mixed with the imagery of the innocent babe, and a very nebulous grey area as far as science is concerned. In this particular scenario (common throughout America, though with equivalents in other nations and religious cultures), you start with two base notions - that sex is for the purposes of procreation and the union of a couple, and that until discounted by way of a sufficiently dreadful crime all life is sacred. So in that perspective, the idea of having sex without it being explicitly to have and raise a child with your spouse (however much the critics may themselves indulge) is itself sinful. And because we have yet to precisely pin down what exactly it is that makes life tick and develop a consciousness out of chemical impulses, the interpretation is left open enough that many will take the easy option and just say that life begins right from the first step. So a potential mother has not only sinned by having a child she did not necessarily intend to have (again, whatever the actual circumstances surrounding that), but she'll be digging her hole even deeper by trying to abort it, and thus as 'good christians', people will try to stop them.

Really though, its because its an easy high horse to mount I think, that gives it a certain appeal to some. There's no necessary commitment to 'preventing' someone getting pregnant in the same way you might try to get people off smoking or alcohol. It doesn't really require financial or physical investment like say, assisting the poor or participating in community welfare programmes. They don't have to travel far or gather in truly massive rallies - just pop down to the local clinic. They get to be heroes standing up for the children by just saying 'no, you can't have abortions', rather than, you know, acting on what the rest of their faith tells them to do.

Shorter version: "I like your Christ, but not your Christians."

• Locked thread