Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So just checking, since I'm not seeing any specific mentions of it in the terms, the $15 for $100 promotion includes pre-orders, right? If I pre-order Yakuza 5 would it count $33.99 towards the $100?

e: Answering my own question, the blog post does claim that pre-orders count.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Anyone have an opinion on Whispering Willows? Currently on sale for $5 on Plus.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
NA store:
Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition didn't come out on PS4 today. Going by release dates on Gamestop and xbox.com, it might show up this Friday.

Reminders: the Kunio-kun PS3 game is coming out tomorrow, and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter for PSP will be out this Thursday.

EU store:
PS+ members, free PS4 theme for you all: Journey static theme

Japan store:
I don't know if this is a big deal here, but Star Ocean Second Evolution is now out:
PS4 version
Vita version
¥2268 each, no cross-buy

Interesting note: Vita version is one file at 3.8 GB, larger than the 3.3 GB file size limit seen on most older Vita games. When did the limit get raised?

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 28, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SCEJA has been letting some publishers go over it at request but most don't come close to ever needing it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
If Rock Band matters to anyone in EU/AU, SCEE has switched over about 600 additional legacy DLC tracks to be compatible on PS4. It's not the full library yet, but three weeks after launch with no mention of it had me worried - at least they're bringing through things, even if it is at a snails pace.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It doesn't wear out its welcome. You could do a whole lot worse for 5 bucks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's an 80's text adventure with graphics and a streamlined interface and reams of expository notes to be found, starring a frowny teenage girl with a startling lack of personality; and it lasts roughly 2 hours.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sold

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Frowny teenage girl' is redundant

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does Shovel Knight ever go on sale?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

FishBulb posted:

Does Shovel Knight ever go on sale?

The devs have stated repeatedly that they're waiting on you to purchase the game at full price before putting Shovel Knight on sale.

I feel like they put it out and said that they weren't going to discount it during a steam sale, but then it was discounted and it annoyed a bunch of people. Looks like it has dipped down to $10 on steam, but I don't know about PSN.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Pay full price, IMO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shovel Knight's worth it

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'll give a dissenting opinion here and say that I thought it was horribly boring compared to a lot of the games it imitates. I'd wait for a sale or try a friend's copy or something first to see if you like it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Nickoten posted:

I'll give a dissenting opinion here and say that I thought it was horribly boring compared to a lot of the games it imitates. I'd wait for a sale or try a friend's copy or something first to see if you like it.

Can you elaborate? As a ps+ haver, I play a lot of side scrolling similarish games for about 5 minutes before dropping them, Ive played a lot of shovel knight and I cannot understand why you would say this.

Every level is very different and fresh, the items give a lot of gameplay changes. I dont see how its boring, and if theres something better in the vein then goddamn let me know wat I have been missing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The person above is pretty much wrong. Shovel Knight is honestly not only a good game on its own merits but honestly a better game than a lot of the stuff it homages. Unless you straight-up dislike that style of game it's absolutely worth full price, especially with the DLC out now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Shovel Knight, at the very least, is easily worth the $15 they're asking for. I mean if you're not gonna play it right now there's obviously no rush but if you're in the mood for that type of game just get it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Also expect 2 more full game length dlc's like the Plague Knight dlc.

For FREE

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, I don't think it makes sense (market or logical) to discount the game massively when there's still free content coming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I don't think it makes sense (market or logical) to discount the game massively when there's still free content coming.

Also a physical release.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the vita version getting a physical release

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you elaborate? As a ps+ haver, I play a lot of side scrolling similarish games for about 5 minutes before dropping them, Ive played a lot of shovel knight and I cannot understand why you would say this.

Every level is very different and fresh, the items give a lot of gameplay changes. I dont see how its boring, and if theres something better in the vein then goddamn let me know wat I have been missing.

It was more that after about a couple hours I just could not find anything compelling about what was going on. It didn't feel earnest in anything it put in front of me. In Mega Man I was a robot who had a gun to shoot bad robots. That made sense to me. In Castlevania I was a guy who had a whip to fight demons and monsters and eventually Dracula. That, too, was compelling to me. But in the first few hours of Shovel Knight it just felt like everything was a parody of something from that time, minus anything of its own to contribute. I didn't really see what it had to offer, but I understand that it could just be that the game doesn't come into its own until after that.

I still don't understand why I'm playing as a knight with a shovel, especially when it's very rarely that I actually even dig things. It kinda just feels like the game is trying to be wacky while forgetting that I want a reason to be invested in the game in the first place. Even the enemies in the first few levels seem bored. Again, I realize that I'm in the very small minority here, which is why I call it a dissenting opinion. But I think it's important for someone asking about it to know that the possibility that he might be more like someone in the minority is there.

And I should say that as a PS+ subscriber I, too, play a lot of faux-retro indie games that I agree are pretty boring. I'm sure that Shovel Knight is at least better than most of that stuff. For a game that I honestly think does more justice to its influences, I would point to something like The Binding of Isaac. It takes a lot of old school influences and genuinely creates a fresh experience out of them right from the beginning, which I really appreciated. Hotline Miami, Niddhog, Castle Crashers, the Noitu Love games and Nikujin were pretty sweet too. Oh poo poo, and how could I forget the stuff in Retro Game Challenge 1 and 2?

Other retro-style games that annoyed me so you can know if you can safely ignore my opinion: Rogue Legacy and Super Time Force Ultra (though the time mechanic itself is cool). I'm sure there are more, but those are just off the top of my head.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 28, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Is the vita version getting a physical release

Not as far as I know. WiiU, Bone, PS4, and 3DS.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Not as far as I know. WiiU, Bone, PS4, and 3DS.

Bone physical release is in limbo actually, rumor has it Microsoft imposes unrealistic minimum quantities for disc pressings for a game of Shovel Knight's scope. Might still happen eventually but no guarantees, for now it's just the other three platforms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nickoten posted:

It was more that after about a couple hours I just could not find anything compelling about what was going on. It didn't feel earnest in anything it put in front of me. In Mega Man I was a robot who had a gun to shoot bad robots. That made sense to me. In Castlevania I was a guy who had a whip to fight demons and monsters and eventually Dracula. That, too, was compelling to me. But in the first few hours of Shovel Knight it just felt like everything was a parody of something from that time, minus anything of its own to contribute. I didn't really see what it had to offer, but I understand that it could just be that the game doesn't come into its own until after that.

Shovel Knight is absurdly earnest, I'm not really clear what you're saying there. :psyduck:

It is about as straightforward, honest and earnest a game as it can get. I mean opinion is opinion but in this case you're actually straightforward wrong if you're trying to claim it's just a game-length parody of other stuff.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Knight with a shovel" makes more sense than "Plumber who throws fireballs." There's lots of stuff to dig up throughout the game, too. It's cool not to like it but these are some weird reasons.

Even if it was purely satire why is that a bad thing?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Shovel Knight is absurdly earnest, I'm not really clear what you're saying there. :psyduck:

It is about as straightforward, honest and earnest a game as it can get. I mean opinion is opinion but in this case you're actually straightforward wrong if you're trying to claim it's just a game-length parody of other stuff.

Why is it that Shovel Knight has a shovel? It's pretty easy to see what makes a Plague Knight cool, and I can figure out why Shield Knight must be pretty strong, but it seems like the answer to "why a shovel" should have an answer for the game to not be wacky just for wackiness sake. And why do I spend so much of the beginning of the game not digging? Why did they take the bomb blocks from Kirby that blow up walls and just turn them into star blocks that blow up walls when I attack them for seemingly no reason? Why am I fighting enemies that fall asleep on themselves?

Surlaw posted:

"Knight with a shovel" makes more sense than "Plumber who throws fireballs." There's lots of stuff to dig up throughout the game, too. It's cool not to like it but these are some weird reasons.

A lot of things about Mario come from hardware limitations, but many of the fantastic elements work to contrast a regular dude from an Alice in Wonderland-esque fantasy world where magical flowers make you shoot fireballs. And shooting fireballs is an inherently empowering thing that makes as something I'd want to be able to do.

I think it would be cooler if Shovel Knight was just a knight who stumbled onto an enchanted shovel. That would be cool in a "power comes from an unexpected source and it's all he has" kind of way that would paint him as a underdog.

And I won't argue that this seems like a triviality to most people. I just have a hard time getting invested in games when they just assume I'll accept everything about them. I appreciated that old games tried to ground what was happening in some world that they tried to make appealing to some kind of fantasy.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 28, 2015

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Nickoten posted:

I still don't understand why I'm playing as a knight with a shovel, especially when it's very rarely that I actually even dig things. It kinda just feels like the game is trying to be wacky while forgetting that I want a reason to be invested in the game in the first place. Even the enemies in the first few levels seem bored. Again, I realize that I'm in the very small minority here, which is why I call it a dissenting opinion. But I think it's important for someone asking about it to know that the possibility that he might be more like someone in the minority is there.

Okay, but how was the gameplay?

Does there really need to be a "why" to Shovel Knight himself? He uses a shovel because that's the knight that he is. That's it, really.

I don't really understand how the earlier Mega Man games are really any more compelling than Shovel Knight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shovel Knight has a Shovel because he is the Knight of Shovels. Much like how Plague Knight is the Knight of Plagues and King Knight is the Knight of Kings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nickoten posted:

Why is it that Shovel Knight has a shovel? It's pretty easy to see what makes a Plague Knight cool, and I can figure out why Shield Knight must be pretty strong, but it seems like the answer to "why a shovel" should have an answer for the game to not be wacky just for wackiness sake. And why do I spend so much of the beginning of the game not digging? Why did they take the bomb blocks from Kirby that blow up walls and just turn them into star blocks that blow up walls when I attack them for seemingly no reason? Why am I fighting enemies that fall asleep on themselves?

Shovels have an actual history of being used as a weapon. Entrenching tools and monk's spades both are actual historical tools that serve a purpose as both a digging tool and a weapon. It also gives Shovel Knight a distinctive silhouette and, by having a shovel, it emphasizes that you should be 'digging down' to attack enemies with a bounce instead of just smacking them. There is also a humorous incongruity between the heavily armored knight and his seemingly mundane weapon, especially as everyone in the setting treats it seriously.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Okay, but how was the gameplay?

Does there really need to be a "why" to Shovel Knight himself? He uses a shovel because that's the knight that he is. That's it, really.

I don't really understand how the earlier Mega Man games are really any more compelling than Shovel Knight.

Because Mega Man is a robot with a gun who shoots evil robots. That's something I already understand as a power fantasy and it plays off of that appeal. He's not a robot because blue robots are a funny joke, he's a robot because it makes him able to upgrade himself and shoot lasers out of his gun hand.

Kirby is an example of a hero who is implicitly a kind of joke in later games, but the game is kind of designed around the comedy that is Kirby being an extremely cute mascot-esque murder machine. Shovel Knight isn't quite there for me, though maybe he is for some people.

quote:

Shovels have an actual history of being used as a weapon. Entrenching tools and monk's spades both are actual historical tools that serve a purpose as both a digging tool and a weapon. It also gives Shovel Knight a distinctive silhouette and, by having a shovel, it emphasizes that you should be 'digging down' to attack enemies with a bounce instead of just smacking them. There is also a humorous incongruity between the heavily armored knight and his seemingly mundane weapon, especially as everyone in the setting treats it seriously.

Sure, but I never ever pretended to be fighting with a shovel as a kid. Hell, I was more likely to be pretending a shovel was something cooler. I think this would work better if Shovel Knight were a guy (like, say, a monk-analog) who actually used a shovel for its normal purpose and was forced to fight with it. That would be compelling. Or maybe Shovel Knight could have been a knight of gardening or masonry who was forced to take up the only arms he had. That would have been cool too.

Again, I don't expect you guys to be like, "Oh right, Shovel Knight actually sucks and makes no sense how could I have been mistaken." I'm just giving a different perspective that might be valuable or might just be the insane utterings of a crazy person. At the very least it might be amusing!

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 28, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm glad you've explained your opinion so everyone else knows they should just buy Shovel Knight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is Shovel Knight currently available on the Playstation Vita, if so I need to buy it so I can fight Kratos.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Everyone's a Blank Knight character, the hero's knight power is "shovel" both because a big part of the game play is digging up buried treasure and because it's so meek compared to his rivals. It's an underdog story. The town guards laugh at him. He's a nerd with a goofy power that nonetheless becomes a hero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nickoten posted:

He's not a robot because blue robots are a funny joke, he's a robot because it makes him able to upgrade himself and shoot lasers out of his gun hand.

Mega Man is literally an homage and parody of Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy mixed with a little bit of Casshern. He is absolutely not intended to be taken super-seriously (though the X/Zero games kinda lose some of that.) I will remind you that Mega Man looks like this:

and his named Rock, along with his sister Roll and his brother Blues.

Baal posted:

Is Shovel Knight currently available on the Playstation Vita, if so I need to buy it so I can fight Kratos.

It is and it is a good port and also cross-buy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it cross buy for all three or just Vita and the Triple?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man is literally an homage and parody of Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy mixed with a little bit of Casshern. He is absolutely not intended to be taken super-seriously (though the X/Zero games kinda lose some of that.) I will remind you that Mega Man looks like this:

Yes, which is in and of itself serving the power fantasy of being a boy with extraordinary powers due to being a robot. Mega Man thus plays off of a cultural association with something empowering. Also being named "Rock Man" carried a very different feeling in Japan similar to how something like "Mega Man" did for us. Both are cool names in their respective cultural contexts.

A power fantasy doesn't necessarily have to take itself totally seriously. Something like Deadpool is still a power fantasy while being an absolute farce. But Deadpool still shoots people with guns or cuts them with swords or something most of the time, unless I'm mistaken.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 28, 2015

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's a reference to Isaiah 2:4.

The Bible posted:

...They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks...

The Shovel Knight is not bloodthirsty by nature. It's why he combos so well with Shield Knight, shovel and shield -- a humble tool only reluctantly sent to combat, and an object used almost entirely for defense. He's a shovel knight because he's a knight who chooses to use a shovel.

and he is real, and strong, and my friend.

buy shovel knight

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Is it cross buy for all three or just Vita and the Triple?

All three as far as I know. Absolutely PS4 and Vita, I haven't turned my PS3 in a while tho'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Bogart posted:

It's a reference to Isaiah 2:4.

The Shovel Knight is not bloodthirsty by nature. It's why he combos so well with Shield Knight, shovel and shield -- a humble tool only reluctantly sent to combat, and an object used almost entirely for defense. He's a shovel knight because he's a knight who chooses to use a shovel.

and he is real, and strong, and my friend.

buy shovel knight

The whole point of that quote is that the soldiers will not need to be soldiers anymore. That's kind of why I'm getting at when I say it makes more sense for Shovel Knight to be a non-combatant who by the end of the game earns the title "Shovel Knight."

• Locked thread