Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also of note: I'm in the process of updating the OP and initial posts in preparation for submitting this beast off to baldurk for archival. I'm holding off till Epilogue is squared away completely before I do the majority of the heavy lifting on things, but for now the table of contents is finally updated and linking to every video that has currently been published for PoP from both Artix and I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
See you fuckers in Epilogue.

After Credits (Polsy)

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
I can't believe Elika did not stay loving dead

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
What was the prince expecting to happen besides Elika shoving him off a cliff and going off to find a new champion? There is no situation in which he gets the girl here, the plan is severely poorly thought through.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

BioEnchanted posted:

What was the prince expecting to happen besides Elika shoving him off a cliff and going off to find a new champion? There is no situation in which he gets the girl here, the plan is severely poorly thought through.
He's a dumbass.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But like 3/4 of the time you can't see why he'd do this and the other 1/4 you can only barely see why he'd do this.

It's a shame because I love the idea of this but their structure means it just doesn't work.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

But like 3/4 of the time you can't see why he'd do this and the other 1/4 you can only barely see why he'd do this.

It's a shame because I love the idea of this but their structure means it just doesn't work.

This is kind of the main issue, if you run through the regions in roughly the right order the ending seems to flow naturally.... then again I actually like it.

The prince basically loving up everything fits in with 2/3s of the sands of time trilogy and after seeing the Aura(?) fade to nothing, Ahriman was going to gently caress everything up eventually

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Stormgale posted:

This is kind of the main issue, if you run through the regions in roughly the right order the ending seems to flow naturally.... then again I actually like it.

The prince basically loving up everything fits in with 2/3s of the sands of time trilogy and after seeing the Aura(?) fade to nothing, Ahriman was going to gently caress everything up eventually

And also how the Prince thinks so lowly about the concept of self-sacrifice and that he thinks there's nothing heroic or honorable about it

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

And also how the Prince thinks so lowly about the concept of self-sacrifice and that he thinks there's nothing heroic or honorable about it

I'm gonna go one step further, the game as a whole basically shits on the concept of self sacrifice: Every region is basically various stories of "These people did their duty to stop Ahriman/were good, here is how that went badly due to corruption or people abandoning the cause or the ravages of time". Irregardless of it's quality the ending is tonally consistent with the game and the characters and I will give them props for that

Edit: Ubisoft HR: Our list of Employees under F is This Thick

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can't believe Francois is loving dev

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I cant get the video to load. Fuuuck I want to see how this ends but every time youtube just says an error has occurred. Am I the only one getting this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jade Star posted:

I cant get the video to load. Fuuuck I want to see how this ends but every time youtube just says an error has occurred. Am I the only one getting this?

It was loading for me fine this morning, but yeah I've been getting the same error message too. I just didn't think anything of it because YouTube hates the particular combination of plugins I'm running Firefox with so it's often a chore for me to get videos to load properly anyway.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
On an android atm. It's loading for me.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

You know, having seen the end of this game, I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

DON'T DO IT, CROW! IT'S NOT WORTH IT!

And now, everyone knows what I was talking about.

Looking forward to seeing exactly how this bites Nolan in the rear end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

And now, everyone knows what I was talking about.

Looking forward to seeing exactly how this bites Nolan in the rear end.

i'm not to sure but i think it may just be the whole demon god breaking out of the temple thing qualifies as "exactly how this bites Nolan in the rear end"

really i'm expecting epilogue to be an hour of elika calling him a moron while they live eternally at the end of the world

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm not to sure but i think it may just be the whole demon god breaking out of the temple thing qualifies as "exactly how this bites Nolan in the rear end"

I mean, yeah, but details.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mandatory lesbian posted:

really i'm expecting epilogue to be an hour of elika calling him a moron while they live eternally at the end of the world

spoilers!!!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

KieranWalker posted:

I mean, yeah, but details.
The last surviving helltrucks surrender to Nolan, allowing him to ascend the tower where The Colonel appears and asks if he still thinks he's actually the president of the United States.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
oh gently caress

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You Are Still A Good Persian

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I really need to record another episode of Forza eventually...

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I like that, from what you can understand from the murmuring in the background, Ahrimans main reason for wanting to gently caress up stuff now is "I was imprisoned for one thousand years. Time to even the score."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Entrance (Polsy)

PRINCE OF PERSISA: EPILOGUE

So, first off: what is Epilogue? Well, as the name implies, Prince of Persia: Epilogue is the sole piece of DLC released for Prince of Persia 2008 and is set in the immediate aftermath of the game’s… interesting ending, and explores the ramifications of the Prince’s choice to revive Elika at the cost of releasing Arhiman from the Temple of Light and out into the world beyond the Ahura kingdom. Epilogue takes the Prince and Elika into the Underground Palace, a massive new environment on the cusp of the Ahura kingdom filled with new enemies and a brand new Magic Plate power to utilize for better or worse.

It was rushed out the door by Ubisoft as a means of trying to salvage the Prince as a character after players and critics responded overwhelmingly negatively towards the Prince’s actions at the end of the game. Epilogue is Ubisoft’s big 2-hour long Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Ending-level tone deaf response to this criticism in that, no you see the Prince was actually right and justified in his to set Arhiman free because [fartz]

But rather than take my word for it, I will let you judge for yourself once this grand experiment is finished for real on how well it redeemed the Prince or not.

Epilogue, structurally, is one single continuous level that is broken down into 10 sub areas punctuated by a boss fight against one of the two “new” Corrupted enemies at the end of every other segment. Gone is the backtracking and Lightseed collecting of the original game and the multiple paths; Epilogue is a straight A to B centered around getting through the Underground Palace and reaching the open desert at the end.

Epilogue is a fairly quick sit and can be beaten in about 2 hours at even a leisurely pace, so at least it doesn’t overstay its welcome… too much.

THE MOURNING KING

The newest member of the Corrupted, and the only one of the original five to survive the events of Prince of Persia 2008 itself. The Mourning King fell under Ahriman’s sway when he destroyed the Tree of Life in the Temple of Light to uphold his end of a bargain struck with Ahriman: if the King released Ahriman from his prison, Ahriman would revive his recently deceased daughter Elika. While Elika and the Prince faced off against the other four Corrupted, the King fell deeper under Ahriman’s thrall and the dark god transformed him into a fifth Corrupted piece by piece.

The Mourning King now acts as Ahriman’s herald, speaking with his voice and acting as his hand as harbinger of doom for the living world. The original Mourning King, the good but desperate man who was once Elika’s father has been completely destroyed by the corruption. All that remains is Ahriman’s soulless puppet, bent to the dark god’s will and growing ever stronger as Ahriman’s power returns now that he’s free of the Temple’s prison completely.

The man who struck a deal with the devil so that his daughter could live again now stalks her steps across the desert seeking to kill her in Ahriman’s name. In a perverted way, Ahriman did indeed hold up his end of the bargain, as he always does: the King freed Ahriman on the promise that he would take his grief and pain away, and indeed he did; thanks to the corruption he no longer feels anything.

Voiced by: Fred Tatasciore

:effort:
THE SHAPESHIFTER

A singular encapsulation of late 00s-era Ubisoft’s developmental laziness. In lieu of facing the Mourning King at the end of each subsection of the Underground Palace, you will also fight a boss known as the Shapeshifter, and by that I mean you will fight an enemy that swaps back and forth between the Hunter and Warrior’s forms to a frustrating degree.

The in-story handwave is that Ahriman apparently can’t confront the Prince and Elika directly because he’s hasn’t regained enough of his power to overcome Elika’s magic, so he sends out this thing that is an extension of himself yet not actually himself to face them which just cycles through forms that he’s already familiar with: his Corrupted generals.

It’s just an excuse for Ubisoft to reuse assets from the base game because Epilogue was rushed out the door just under four months after 2008’s original release date. And even as a half-assed stopgap boss, it’s doubly half assed because it doesn’t even bother to retread all four of the base game Corrupted. That’s right, for reasons that escape me (probably because they didn’t want to bother adapting their code to Epilogue’s new environment parameters), the Shapeshifter never turns into the Alchemist or the Concubine, who were the two most complex Corrupted in terms of gameplay mechanics and animation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s just an excuse for Ubisoft to reuse assets from the base game because Epilogue was rushed out the door just under four months after 2008’s original release date. And even as a half-assed stopgap boss, it’s doubly half assed because it doesn’t even bother to retread all four of the base game Corrupted.

It's Dead Space 3: Awakened all over again!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s just an excuse for Ubisoft to reuse assets from the base game because Epilogue was rushed out the door just under four months after 2008’s original release date. And even as a half-assed stopgap boss, it’s doubly half assed because it doesn’t even bother to retread all four of the base game Corrupted. That’s right, for reasons that escape me (probably because they didn’t want to bother adapting their code to Epilogue’s new environment parameters), the Shapeshifter never turns into the Alchemist or the Concubine, who were the two most complex Corrupted in terms of gameplay mechanics and animation.
I'd argue it's triple half-assed because while they managed to code the Shapeshifter's two very differently shaped forms (the large bulky Warrior and the short, hunched over Hunter), Ubisoft failed to code in the two other similarly shaped bosses, as the Alchemist and Concubine are both tall but slender boss designs. In other words, coding the Alchemist and Concubine should have been painfully easy to do because the bosses share a similar body build, thus reducing down on coding time.

Hell, they could have even done two variants of the Shapeshifter, one that's Hunter/Warrior and one that's Alchemist/Concubine to keep the player guessing and engaged. But they didn't because Ubisoft was more focused on making the Prince look like his actions were justified rather than actually putting in effort into Epilogue. Just, goddamnit Ubisoft.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh gently caress, we're back to crow being absolutely terrible at combat. :cripes: The platforming actually looks good though!

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Well, the Epilogue environments don't look too bad at least. Add a few rays, sand particle effects, and you might just satisfy nostalgia for Sands of Time!

I miss that game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I was holding out hope.

Then the Shapeshifter fight happened.

Oh my god why did they think this was a good idea?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I thought it all looked pretty good, riiiiiight up to that last boss fight. Good lord that was a mess.

And are they really going to play this that he didn't realize he was setting Ahriman free? How could anyone possibly interpret that ending any other way?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Devil's advocate again: I could see it one of two ways. Either A) he didn't realize what he was doing, due to Ahriman whispering in his ear, or B) he realized Ahriman was whispering in his ear and reasoned "that thing still has power even after it was supposedly sealed away, so obviously it didn't work. I had better revive Elika so we can figure out how to stop it."

The latter seems to be what the game is implying in cutscenes for the most part, although there are shades of both.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, sacrificing Elika definitely didn't make the problem go away, just sealed it back up. I figured that was kinda obvious. But realistically how could it have gotten out again without the prince freeing it? The prince bumbled onto this place completely by accident. He also is the only other person (presumably) who knows about the power of light seeds and the tree of life.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ahriman (and later, the Prince) implies that with the Ahura gone and Ormazd showing no interest in protecting the world other than tossing Elika some token magic powers, the power of the Temple was fading, slowly but surely. Meaning that it was only a matter of time before Ahriman escaped on his own without anyone's help this time, it'll take hundreds, probably thousands of years, but it will happen... according to Ahriman, anyway.

And that's the crux of it: just how credible is Ahriman, anyway? Especially because the only other person who could argue the counter point was 1) dead at the time, and 2) didn't know what the gently caress was really going on either. But yeah, the game doth protest too much because the Prince got hoodwinked by Ahriman into making THE EXACT SAME BARGAIN that the Mourning King did, only much much worse this time.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 15, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

CJacobs posted:

But realistically how could it have gotten out again without the prince freeing it? The prince bumbled onto this place completely by accident. He also is the only other person (presumably) who knows about the power of light seeds and the tree of life.

I think that kind of is the Prince's argument, for better or worse? The Prince and Elika are, at this point, the only people who actually know anything about the Tree of Life and whatnot, so assuming that Ahriman did escape in like, 100 years or 1000 years, would anyone know what to do, or be able to do anything in response? The only way Epilogue makes any sense at all is if you assume that A) The Prince is right and Ahriman would have escaped again anyway, but potentially at a time when no one would have the ability to fight against him AND B) By releasing him right now, he and Elika could finish the job before Ahriman got any of his strength back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but that's what I'm saying. His argument has nothing to support it. With Elika trapping the evilness there, how would it get out of the temple again??? The prince has no basis for assuming it can escape on its own because that isn't even what happened in the intro of his own adventure!

edit: Well reading Crow's post again I guess that's fair. This whole stupid plot just really annoys me ok!!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 15, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't think point A is all that contentious? Ahriman escaping on his own is suspect, but like you said, the Prince bumbled into this place purely by accident and ended up unleashing him. Who's to say someone else wouldn't have? Imagine some other thief "treasure hunter" coming to the land of the Ahura and getting tempted by Ahriman's promises. I think that if anything, point B is where the Prince's argument falls apart. He's awfully optimistic that Ahriman has lost a significant chunk of his powers AND that Elika will be able to put him down for good this time.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand Artix, one could argue it's better to have a slim chance than no chance.

Granted, it's moot anyway; the Prince is still kind of an rear end in a top hat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Hammam (Polsy)

The Prince and Elika visit a bath house.

IGN gave Prince of Persia: Epilogue a 7.8 out of 10. This is not entirely unrelated.

This section of Epilogue also unveils our final Magic Plate power, crafted exclusively for the DLC: the Energize plate. Yeah, I know, Ubisoft kind of :effort:’d out on the name, kind of like they did for just about everything else related to Epilogue, but whatever, let’s just say it’s actually like “The Will of Ormazd” or something just to keep it consistent with the four plate powers from the base game.

The Energize plate launches you into a platforming sequence not unlike how the Step of Ormazd does, only it also creates temporary wall segments out of magic energy for you to wallrun along to your destination. As I say in the video it’s pretty creative… for this game, at least.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 16, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just throwing this one up now before I go to bed since it is technically Thursday now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To this day my favorite part of the Prince of Persia movie is the idea of seeking out the "secret guardian temple." Architect was fighting a hangover when he named that one.

• Locked thread