Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I had fun playing this game and I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe if the series had continued, Prince here would have actually become a prince. I mean, the original Prince wasn't a Prince till the end of the first game, right?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I actually really liked this game and really liked both characters, the art style is fantastic and I didn't mind the death mechanic. It was different enough to have a place in my mind, I don't really think there will be another game like this. I often have bad opinions on things, so...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I should mention that the game is only $10 on Steam right now. Definitely worth the price if you ask me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I should mention that the game is only $10 on Steam right now. Definitely worth the price if you ask me.

I'm actually considering using it as a reward for a contest of some sort. I have no idea what, but I will though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fister Roboto posted:

I had fun playing this game and I enjoyed it.

I really enjoy platformers and collectathons so I thought this game was great.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm actually considering using it as a reward for a contest of some sort. I have no idea what, but I will though.

Essay contest on the ending. 5000 word minimum. :v:

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

XIII's a dude:

I love that series.

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe if the series had continued, Prince here would have actually become a prince. I mean, the original Prince wasn't a Prince till the end of the first game, right?

Actually yes!

... If my memories of a game I played in the early 90s on an Apple II are worthwhile...

By all accounts, more than the average individual! So yes, the Prince isn't actually a Prince in the first Prince of Persia. But in the second he definitively is... until he's run out of the kingdom.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I was one of the dudes that worked on this game at the time. It's cool to see folks enjoying it 7-8 years later.

nine-gear crow posted:

CJacobs complimented The Prince's kick rear end Godhand gauntlet in this video, and I mentioned that the Limited Edition release of Prince of Persia 2008 featured the gauntlet front-and-centre as its cover art, so here's both a promotional drawing featuring the gauntlet, and the aforementioned cover art variant of it:

This was confusing to read before watching the video because the game's lead programmer's name is C.Jacob and I didn't realize that you had SA dude CJacobs as a guest commentator.
There's a piece of art/swag related to the game that never gets shown off or anything, but I suspect it's mostly because it wasn't really released to the public in any large fashion and mostly remained an internal thing. :ssh:
Look at this little guy:

Also, the game being considered unsuccessful isn't exactly accurate. The game ended up selling well enough. The demographics it sold to was an unexpected surprise, however: a large chunk of the fans of the game, maybe even a majority, were women. For a big-budget triple-A action-adventure game, it was a rare sight.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

nine-gear crow posted:

ORGASMS HEALING THE LAND

If you want to record a fun bonus video, check and see if you can switch to the korean voice acting. You'll be calling it HEALIN THE LAND ORGASMS.AVI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

I was one of the dudes that worked on this game at the time. It's cool to see folks enjoying it 7-8 years later.

This was confusing to read before watching the video because the game's lead programmer's name is C.Jacob and I didn't realize that you had SA dude CJacobs as a guest commentator.
There's a piece of art/swag related to the game that never gets shown off or anything, but I suspect it's mostly because it wasn't really released to the public in any large fashion and mostly remained an internal thing. :ssh:
Look at this little guy:

Also, the game being considered unsuccessful isn't exactly accurate. The game ended up selling well enough. The demographics it sold to was an unexpected surprise, however: a large chunk of the fans of the game, maybe even a majority, were women. For a big-budget triple-A action-adventure game, it was a rare sight.

Holy crap. Wow. That's actually pretty amazing. I hope you don't mind our lighthearted smacktalking about stuff in-game, because bugs and boo-boos aside, I really really still do love the game.

Are you still under any kind of NDA about it, or can you dish more about the development history and what not?

I also want to apologize in advance for any upcoming episodes where I'm incredibly terrible at playing the game.

I'm also happy to see that Ubisoft didn't consider it a failure internally. Where do you think the game picked up that reputation from then? And why did Ubisoft drop the '08 franchise like a hot stone? Or would you even know any of that stuff to begin with?

E:

Gimbal lock posted:

If you want to record a fun bonus video, check and see if you can switch to the korean voice acting. You'll be calling it HEALIN THE LAND ORGASMS.AVI

I will certainly try to now. :stare:

E2: Nope. The 360 NTSC-UC version of PoP 2008 doesn't let you change language options. Sorry people, no Prince of Korean Orgasms for you. :eng99:

E3: ...can I add the Nolan North Rabbit to the OP please?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 14, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gimbal lock posted:

I guess the main character's rippling abs caused a lot of fertile grounds to be healed?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gimbal lock posted:

ORMAZDS.MP4
GIANT ORMAZDS.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm also happy to see that Ubisoft didn't consider it a failure internally. Where do you think the game picked up that reputation from then? And why did Ubisoft drop the '08 franchise like a hot stone? Or would you even know any of that stuff to begin with?

Probably because the demographic they actually wanted was busy complaining about how you couldn't die. Also, I always thought the return to Sands of Time was just to promote the movie, since they came out at the same time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gimbal lock posted:

I tried hunting this down but apparently a literal Prince from Persia got married to a Princess from ancient Korea way back when, which is showing up as more relevant on most searches.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Smack-talk all you want. The game's got real problems. Frankly, it's one of my least favorite POPs despite being the better looking one. There's definitely some amount of truth to Ubisoft considering some aspects of the game a failed experiment. For example, the more casual approach of no death penalty -- turns out many players aren't as ingaged if there isn't any risk on the line, even if it's fake and entirely superficial. Another prime example is how to handle DLC.

Hell, let me tell you about DLC. Back in 2007, DLC was one of those things that people thought was going to be the future. The whole horse armor thing was still fairly fresh, so we knew that it had to be substantial for it to not be dumb. As the game's production was deep underway and largely finished, some people started working on the task of what the DLC would be. The conclusion was of good intention, that it would be a high-production extra chapter to the story for players that want more of the game. And an extra chapter it was: so much so that players ended up considering it practically essential to get the full story of the game. People thought that this was planned all along and that the company was trying to force players to buy DLC to get the full game. Woops. From then on out, I think the projects have been more careful about their subjects for DLC and have been opting to use them to tell side-stories instead.

As for "dropping the game like a hot stone", yeah, that's indeed falling into NDA territory. Generally, nobody cares too much for happenings that are this old, but I think POP'08 is currently still an important exception to that. I wish it weren't, if at least so that I'd be able to share some crazy work stories. It'll have to wait some more.

Yeah add Nolan North Rabbid wherever you want.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Foolish DLC team! You did your job too well!

Joking aside, it's a bummer that when/if Ubisoft revives PoP, they probably won't continue this version. The visuals and the story so far are really cool and I like the fact that you can use Elika as your fighting buddy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Between Elika and Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, who is the better partner?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Elika. She will always keep you alive, no matter what. That's dedication. True teamwork.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Also, double jumps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've seen maybe 2 hours of Prince of Persia over all our recordings and already I can safely say Elika for sure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'd also say Elika. Elizabeth may be more complex of an AI partner, but Elika does her specific job in-game better than Elizabeth does.

And you also have a measure of control over Elika in and out of combat. So that helps keep thing tighter.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 15, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Prince! I picked this up! Catch!

*Tosses a square of carpet THIS THICK*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Prince! I picked this up! Catch!

*Tosses a square of carpet THIS THICK*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You guys are funny and all, and I'm enjoying the LP so far, but would you mind not constantly talking all over the dialogue and soundtrack? You yourself said that those are two of the biggest draws of the game and they're nearly impossible to hear under the constant repetition and carpet jokes. :shobon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Polaron posted:

You guys are funny and all, and I'm enjoying the LP so far, but would you mind not constantly talking all over the dialogue and soundtrack? You yourself said that those are two of the biggest draws of the game and they're nearly impossible to hear under the constant repetition and carpet jokes. :shobon:

I actually was mulling over doing straight no commentary, minimal editing, no gags runs of each stage to go along with the commented on versions. Because you are right, this game does deserve to be heard as is at times and we just do not shut the gently caress up sometimes when we probably should, but that was kind of my intention for the commentary set up anyway.

Basically, watch this space. I might whip something up in the near-future.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah sorry Crow talked with us about that, he said he'll be releasing 3 versions of all the videos from now on; one with commentary throughout, one with no commentary over the dialogue, and one where the prince and Elika have funny party hats on and that's the only change.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I thought it was a pretty good mix. I can hear the music just fine, I can hear the dialogue just fine. I actually missed a couple of the bad jokes because I was paying attention to the character dialogue, then suddenly there was another ding on the counter. :shrug:

Polaron, if you aren't using headphones, try using those to listen. Otherwise, nine-gear crow, if you're going to do another set of videos for the game then count me as another one interested, zero-commentary or chill-commentary runs through the areas would be pretty cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But really, it's different when you're recording it, in a way. I think the trouble with having a whole bunch of people on at once is that when we are recording it, we do hear the dialogue and the beautiful music and stuff totally unfiltered (except for each others' voices but you know what I mean), so it's hard to think in the moment about what it will be like for the person watching it when it's released. So I could say something about the music and then Artix and then Crow and then Blind Sally could agree with me about the music and that's like 30 seconds where the music is playing but you can't hear it because of us. I understand where you're coming from with your complaint and I think in the future I'll try to be more conscious of that because it is a real issue when you have three or four people.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

one where the prince and Elika have funny party hats on and that's the only change.

I look forward to this edit. Your dedication never ceases to amaze me, crow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When they talk about the overarching story it's basically 'BLAH BLAH BLAH AHRIMAN BLAH BLAH ORMAZD BLAH BLAH BLAH FERTILE GROUNDS" but when they talk about other things, it's really magical.

S.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

death .cab for qt posted:

Polaron, if you aren't using headphones, try using those to listen.

I watch it on a television, so headphones are somewhat impractical :v:

It's not that I dislike their commentary, I just would like to hear the actual game during interesting stuff. I know the story's no great shakes but I like the voice acting and the music.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 15, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

When they talk about the overarching story it's basically 'BLAH BLAH BLAH AHRIMAN BLAH BLAH ORMAZD BLAH BLAH BLAH FERTILE GROUNDS" but when they talk about other things, it's really magical.

S.

This man gets it.

I'm fairly fluid about things though. If people just want a "plot and witty dialog" edit, I'm more than willing to do that too. If only because the videos will be under 5 minutes long then and will go online relatively fast at my third world-quality Canadian upload speeds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But what about the party hats

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

But what about the party hats

:fuckoff:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This was a pretty fun game, also good to just have on and listen to when I needed to relax. Never played the Epilogue though.

EDIT: Also I expect more of Artix demanding the controller, that happens.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Polaron posted:

I watch it on a television, so headphones are somewhat impractical :v:

It's not that I dislike their commentary, I just would like to hear the actual game during interesting stuff. I know the story's no great shakes but I like the voice acting and the music.

how's the commentary through tv speakers? mixing is always a concern, and i find my own voice will sound quite quiet in comparison if a system doesn't have okay bass response.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Blind Sally posted:

how's the commentary through tv speakers? mixing is always a concern, and i find my own voice will sound quite quiet in comparison if a system doesn't have okay bass response.

It sounds fine. I don't have any aftermarket speakers hooked up or anything but your voice still comes through along with everyone else's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Also I expect more of Artix demanding the controller, that happens.

You won't be disappointed.

• Locked thread