Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The Cast:

Joel Novak, the Ghoul
Damien Thompson, the Shadow
Lisa Fayette, the Fae
Hazel Grant, the Witch
Alisha Richards, the Werewolf
Jacob Weissman, the Chosen
Amber Alpis, the Queen
Harriet Simmons, the Sasquatch
Morgana Elysium Roosevelt, the Gentry

Strings Sheet

It’s a lovely Fall morning in Madison, Maine, meaning it’s not started raining today, it’s still a positive temperature, and the sky is only partially clouded, while the leaves fallen on the ground are still somewhat crisp, and not a damp mush yet. It’s the middle of October, which means that when people aren’t preemptively putting up Christmas decorations already, they’re preparing for Halloween.

The school itself has been abuzz, too, with a Halloween themed party planned - attendance is compulsory, of course, and even for people who don’t care about dressing up, it might be the one day of the school year the students don’t have to wear these dumb uniforms.

The Homeroom class on the third floor fills up quickly, but the teacher, Mr. Campbell, is notorious for always being late in the morning (yet somehow, he’s never been disciplined for that, what’s up with that?) giving the students plenty of time to talk without a teacher interfering and making them do work or anything.

pre:
                                               [teacher]
        A         B        C          D
1 [ Howard ] [  Dean ] [  Rosy  ] [  Mark  ]
2 [  Joel  ] [ Amber ] [ Vernon ] [  Paul  ]
3 [ Harriet] [Morgana] [ Alisha ] [  Hazel ]
4 [ Damien ] [  Lisa ] [  Kimmy ] [Rebecca ] 
Jacob, last night was a strange night for you, what monster were you chasing, and how did it get away?

And because human problems aren’t any easier than monster problems, Rosy, sitting directly behind you, has pretty obviously got a crush on you, and is working up the courage to tell you. How do you feel about that?

Alisha, A couple of weeks ago, you had an ‘incident’, and it was a pretty bad one. What happened, and how much damage did you cause?

In addition, Abel Hunt, some fuckwit in the first row, has decided you’re ungodly, and is spreading rumours about you. What’s the latest thing he’s cooked up, and how do you plan to deal with him?

Joel, when was the last time you fed? What did you feed on?

Someone in the class has a younger sister in the same school and class as Jenna, and thinks you should be friends just because your sisters are. Who is it, and how do you feel about that?

Damien, Uncle Jack’s mad at someone in the class. Who, and why, and what does he want you to do to them?

Given that you’re an adopted kid who’s been in trouble before, a bully in the class - Rebecca - has decided to make your life hell. What’s she done lately to you?

Lisa, When was the last time you visited Faerie, and what did the Lady of the Jewelled Rainbow make you promise to do for her in Madison?

When was the last time you were called to the Principal’s office, and what for? How did that meeting go?

Hazel, What creepy thing have you found in the school library? What will you do about it?

Which kid in class most deserves a hex? Are you planning anything for them?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
NPC List:

Students:
Howard Aleister - Old money lacrosse player. Charming and handsome. Sold his soul (or something) and is in deep poo poo.
Rosy Schultz - Awkward, easily intimidated, heavily overweight.
Vernon Scott - Musical kid, occasional drug dealer.
Dean Wilson - ADD Sports fanatic. Was bewitched and used as bait in Baines' house.
Kimmy Candor - Lisa&Damien's friend, animal rights activist, dorky hippy.
Mark Cantor - Braniac, gunning for valedictorian, tries to stay out of anything that could soil his record.
Paul Truman - God-bothering rear end in a top hat. Preaches from his high horse.
Rebecca Schwartz - Bully(?), recently contracted lycanthropy.
Morgan Long - Rich girl, well-meaning but can't see past her own privilege. Nosy and bossy.
River Grant - Hazel's sister. Contracted with a demon to try and solve her problems.
Abel Hunt - God-bothering double-rear end in a top hat. Is actually aggressive, not just passive-aggressive like Paul.
Lauren Tillman - Drama club queen, family is important in the town. Powerful and she knows it.
Joan Du Croix - Drama club member, has a crush on Damien; under Lauren's thumb.
Sandra Doruff - Bully #2, picks only people she thinks can't defend themselves.
Douglas Cook - Another member of the drama club, openly hostile towards Lauren's leadership
Clarissa Steinbeck - One of Amber's clique. Used to torment Amber, now she's torments others for Amber.
Jadariah Jackson - Doesn't take poo poo from anyone - nice to her friends, but ruthless to people who get on her bad side.
Kyoko 'Koko' Nakahara - Pretty face, not too bright, but can get her hands on the best drugs in town.

Teachers/Staff:
Mr. Baines - P.E. Teacher, rear end in a top hat, actually a monster, in thrall to the same witch responsible for Joel's condition.
Ms. Moore - Well meaning teacher, bit of a pushover.
Ms. Arlette - Drama Teacher, formerly an honorary Puck like Lisa, now hates Fae.
Ms. Bigby - Librarian, some sort of magic user???
Principal Wilson - Stickler for the rules, but usually half-asses all punishments.

Parents:

Other:

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 22, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

Ugh, it's too early. Half of me wants to fall asleep while I lean against the wall, I'm tired enough that it's actually really comfy - but I'm talking with / to Damien, and it'd be kinda rude. "Man, why's the school making us all go? Bet it's just gonna be some dumb pep rally, but with like... pumpkins and bats. And I guarantee you they play both Monster Mash and Thriller, because they're unoriginal. I mean, they can't even really call it a party if people are attending against their will, right? It's actually, uhhh... kidnapping."

Glancing up to see if Mr. Campbell is here yet and nope, still good to keep chatting with Damien.

Oh yeah! I can ask him about my costume ideas, and see which one he thinks is better. I lean in and ask, "Oh yeah, are you like - dressing up for it, or anything? I can't decide between going as Ramona Flowers or Zombie Lisa."

----

quote:

Lisa, When was the last time you visited Faerie, and what did the Lady of the Jewelled Rainbow make you promise to do for her in Madison?
It was three whole weeks ago! I managed to find an entrance to Faerie in the boiler room, and when I emerged I was in a part that I'd never been to before. Geography doesn't link up between worlds much, but I think being in Maine made it possible. Anyways, it was amazing! The Lady of the Jewelled Rainbow ruled over a vast crystal city - and they used like... prisms and magic to divide the light and have all the different colors course through everything. She personally gave me a grand tour for a couple hours, and she let me play with one of her pet pseudodragons. It reminded me of Titania, a lot.

Anyways, during the course of everything, she asked me to do her a tiny little favor. It, uh, wasn't as much of a request as I'd like, but I'm probably just not used to her personality yet. So, she's asked me to find a certain door in the school, it's supposedly a solid green with a weird symbol I won't recognize on it. And they'll be a key in that door. All she wants me to do is find it, take the key, and then give it to her. But yeah, no luck at all in finding it so far. It's obviously not off any of the hallways, so I'm just gonna have to keep trying everywhere else till I come across it. There can't be that many more places to look, can there?

quote:

When was the last time you were called to the Principal’s office, and what for? How did that meeting go?
Hey, I haven't been there in three days!

Ugh. We were leaving the cafeteria when I heard some upperclassmen - I think his name is Andrew - sarcastically say "nice hair" to me as he walked by, and you know what, gently caress that. So I gave him the finger, and of course I'm the one that gets caught. And because it's me, I get insta-marched to the principal's office. And yeah, it didn't go that great. At least he didn't actually call my parents, though I could tell that Mr. Wilson really wanted to. So yeah, I'm on "thin ice". But I don't think people in Maine know what that phrase means, since he's said it like five times to me before and that ice hasn't cracked yet.

quote:

Name: Lisa Fayette
Look: Girlish, Laughing Eyes
Origin: Touched with the Gift
Skin: Fae

Stats: Hot 2, Cold 0, Volatile 0, Dark 2

PROMISES
Kimmy - "I promise I'll tell you before I do anything with ARS again." PROMISE BROKEN :argh:
Jacob - "But yeah, I'm going to Vernon's party? I-I'll go with you if you want..." PROMISE BROKEN :argh:
Joel - "I promise I'm not going to ditch Kimmy." PROMISE KEPT
Damien - "All right, I swear I won't lie to you." PROMISE BROKEN :argh:
Joel - "I promise I won't lead Kimmy on."
Alisha - "Promise to not do supernatural poo poo to each other without permission." ""Yeah, uh, sure. Totally. Promise." PROMISE BROKEN :argh:
Jacob - "Don't worry Lisa, I'm not leaving your side until we're out of this hellhole," PROMISE KEPT.
Hazel - "And okay, fine. I guess we could compare notes, so to speak." PROMISE KEPT
Lisa DS - "Neither of you (Alisha Hazel) get to hurt any of us (Damien Joel Lisa) again." PROMISE BROKEN :argh:
Lisa DS - "Damien, I won't let you get hurt again." PROMISE BROKEN :argh:
Alisha - "You want a promise?! I'LL KILL YOU! YOU AND EVERY loving FAE THAT loving SPARKLES AND DANCES AND LURES KIDS FROM THEIR PARENTS AND LIVES!" Meh, Promise Broken.
Ms. Arlette - "Oh, I can promise that (being scary as hell)" PROMISE KEPT
Damien - "Lisa, it's not a one time thing, I swear. I said I love you, right?" PROMISE KEPT
Damien - "And this is gonna last forever, I promise."
Morgana - "Learning all the lines in time might be tricky, but if we pull it off I promise it'll be great!"
Damien - "I promise that while we're working on the play, that's what I'm focusing on, not on flirting or getting laid."
Kimmy - "I... I promise I'll try, but... p-please don't volunteer me for things like this? It's... not fair..."
Damien - "She keeps flirting with you, I swear I'm going to hurt her."
Morgana - "But yes, I think I can safely say that offer won't be on the table for you anymore. In fact, lets make that a promise."
Joel - I return Lisa's fistbump with a big smile. Joel promises to help with the balloon prank.
Morgana - I can promise to leave any animosity on my part at the door provided he does the same.
Alisha - sorry, was busy lol. p sure its fairies. i promise not 2 hit u if u help me n hazel figure it out x
Lisa DS- "That's not how Faeries act."
Lisa DS- "I don't need you."
Lisa DS- If you mess with me again, you'll totally be sorry!"
Lisa DS- "I've got to set things right."

Moves

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
  • they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
  • add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
  • they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.
Unashamed
You can give someone a String on you to add 3 to your attempt to turn them on.

Lure

Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience.
Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Entrenched
If you and another character have a total of 5 or more Strings on one another, gain 1 to all rolls against them.

Guide
If you spend a String on someone willing, you can bring them across the veil, into the faery court. The spell doesn’t last long, though, before you’re both returned to the mundane world.

And Your Enemies Closer
When someone betrays you, gain a String on them.

Make Others Feel Beautiful
When you make others feel beautiful, roll with hot. On a 10 up, choose two:
  • they carry 1 forward;
  • they remove a Condition;
  • they mark experience;
  • you carry 1 forward.
On a 7-9, you can offer them an experience point to do what you want.

Share Your Pain
When you share your pain, roll with dark. On a 10 up, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:
  • remove a Condition (from yourself or someone who listened);
  • carry 1 forward toward helping yourself;
  • those who listened carry 1 forward toward helping you.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood.
To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Lisa's Current Thoughts on the other PCs
Alisha - Is cool. I guess we're friends?

Hazel - If you keep loving with Damien, like... I WILL kill you again dude. Hope it loving hurts.

Jacob - I hope Jacob's ok, and that whatever injuries he's doubtlessly getting inflicted, none get him in the face. He has a great face.

Joel - Joel's a good friend and I've been kinda lovely to him. Still not comfortable with him eating people, but he did eat Lauren for us... I just wish he knew I wasn't the one that killed her.

Damien - ~I've got the best boyfriend and you don't.~ Seriously Damien's amazing, my best friend, and so far we've done it twice and I was about in a coma afterwords. This Jack poo poo is a total lie.

Morgana - OH MY GOD SHE'S A FAERIE PRINCESS!

Amber - I haven't really talked to her but she seems like kind of a massive bitch. Gonna stay on my toes around her I think, maybe she's not as awful as I think.

Henrietta - She seems ok I guess. Ugly name.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 11, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

I'm looking out the window as I think. I've recently been interested in taking a close look at some of the occult books in the library, but that's going to seem really weird if I just suddenly develop an interest in magic. I was pretending to just browse through the whole library earlier, but I kept an eye on the odder ones. Lately I've been preoccupied with thoughts of darker magic, because of that loving Joel guy. (I can't help but take a glance over where he's at briefly).

Anyway, I was looking through what was there, and I see a book covering what appears to be some kind of death magic. At least, based on what I saw while quickly flipping through. Which, might I say, is really loving weird for a goddamn school to be carrying. Some of the illustrations were way too hosed up, and I almost kinda wish I hadn't seen them. It's still there - but I have a plan. The Halloween party is coming up, and at first I thought it would be kind of funny (just to me anyway) to dress up as a witch. Then I realized that if I do that, I can take some of those books out and claim I'm just going to use them as props. In fact, I wonder how much they cost - what would happen if I "lost" them afterward? Can't hurt to have more books at any rate. I'd like to expand my repertoire. Not with that loving death murder magic, jesus christ no, but there might be more benign poo poo in it or some of the other ones.

Speaking of more benign magic, I still gotta figure out how to get a token on Rebecca. That last incident put me off hexing her, but she's still going around being a shithead. I'd like to get things right and avoid a round 2, so this time I'm trying to see what she actually owns. It's a little difficult though - she sits right behind me and I'm pretty sure she's like those gorillas that consider eye contact to be a challenge. I'd like something small and inconsequential, like a brush or lipstick - something she won't notice missing. I'm kinda nervous about loving that up again though, so getting something valuable might be better. But I'd really want to do that as close to the end of school as possible. If something of Rebecca's got stolen and then was found on me, I'd be hosed.

Goddamn it. Why can't people be like Joel and just pass me notes?

quote:

Name: Hazel Grant
Look: lith, calculating eyes

Origin: Gifted

Stats

Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 3

Moves:

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
}} the casting does you 1 harm;
}} the Hex has unexpected side effects;
}} trigger your Darkest Self.

Sanctuary
You have a secret place for practising witchcraft. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Hexes:

Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Wither
The person loses all of their hair, or their teeth start rotting and falling out, or their period comes and it comes by the bucketful, or their skin gets all sickly yellow and spotty. Whatever the specifics, it’s bad.

Ring of Lies
Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them. Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.

Watching
You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and impressions of what they are seeing.

Sympathetic Tokens:

Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their emotional problems on you, roll with dark. On a 10 up, they lose all their conditions, and you choose one:
}Mark experience,
}Carry one forward,
}Gain a String on them

On a 7-9, they choose one:
}They lose all their conditions,
}They gain a String on you

Nap Fan
As soon as you fall asleep somewhere, choose two below for the MC to detail. The MC will tell you when you wake up, and then tell you the details.
SS something has been left for you,
SS someone unexpected is nearby,
SS someone's been trying to contact you,
SS something happened at home,
SS something has been canceled,
SS something has been broken,
SS you had a nice dream.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Hapless Prey
When you lash out physically at someone with the Condition snake food, roll using Cold.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Advances:

Add 1 to Dark
Take a move from another Skin (Ghost, Hungry Ghost)
Take a move from another Skin (Neighbor, Nap Fan)
Take a move from another Skin [replacing gang advance] (Ghoul, Short Rest for the Wicked)
Season Advance (Gain two of the Growing Up moves): Call Someone On Their poo poo, Share Your Pain

Take the remaining hexes
Add 1 to Cold
Take a move from another Skin [replacing take another Witch move] (Hapless Prey, Serpentine)

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 21, 2015

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman

quote:

Jacob, last night was a strange night for you, what monster were you chasing, and how did it get away?

Well, actually I didn't start out hunting anything. I hadn't picked up on anything for a few days and thought I'd have a quiet week for once. I was out a bit late when I stopped to pick up some takeout at "They China Food." As I'm waiting in line I catch sight of the guy ordering at the register and for whatever reason something seems off about him. The first thing that got me was his three-piece suit: Now I get that seeing people dressed up is more common out east but why would a guy in pinstripes be eating at what is possibly the worst Chinese restaurant in America? I mean I guess he could have just got out of some fancy party and had bad luck picking a place for a midnight snack, but why would he be wearing mirror shades when it was already dark?

It wasn't until I saw him counting his change that I caught it. The guy's hands were backwards. Like the joints all went the wrong way, they curled back away from his palms when grabbed stuff. I guess the cashier missed it because he was at the end of his shift or maybe he just wasn't looking. If I wasn't already tuned to look for these things I might have missed it too. Now I could have hand-waved it all as some weird genetic deformity or something, but by that point my hackles were already up and I moved to tail him a short while after he left the restaurant.

As I stepped out into the parking lot I wished I'd brought my heavier coat. Not just because of how cold it always is out here, but its got more pockets for me to carry my gear. In any case he was nowhere to be seen, the lot was empty. I thought about heading back inside but by that point I'd lost my appetite and just wanted to get home. So I walked across the lot to the and started to undue the lock on my bike when I heard... galloping?

I say that because its hard to describe the frantic pace of the mismatched footsteps rushing at me from behind. Skittering conjures up the image of a bunch of little legs and stampede would imply multiple people. What I heard in that moment as I sat, alone, kneeling by bike underneath the one blinking streetlamp in the crappy part of Madison sounded like one thing with a lot of legs, but with a hell of a lot of mismatched feet. I didn't have a lot to work with at that moment as I didn't bring any of my good stuff (Stupid.) so I tried to work as quick as I could with the lock on my bike. The moment I heard it click open I jerked the locks chain away and swung my whole bike around to put it between myself and whatever gunning for me.

With both hands I heaved my six-speed up and swung it around just in time to catch the guy from the restaurant mid-lunge, sending his sunglasses rocketing off his face. I was knocked on my rear end by the force of the tackle but I still kept him on the other side of my bike. One of his hosed up hands was caught in the spokes so he tried snapping at me with two sets of teeth, his two left eyes bulging out of their sockets. I managed to get the steel cross-frame hooked under his neck to keep him from taking a healthy chunk out of my face so he tried instead to wrench himself free. The guy (and I use this term loosely) was pretty strong and ironically ended up pulling me back up to my feet in the process. I didn't figure I could reverse the situation and knock him over so I pulled too. My spokes snapped and he went tumbling backward.

I went to... I don't know, throw my bike at him? But when looked to see where he was all I froze in my tracks. All I saw was a bunch of kicking limbs. I didn't just see his buckled shoes swinging in the air but a dog's foot, deer hooves, and I'm pretty sure I caught a few spider crab legs all attempting to right whatever torso was underneath. I guess my hesitation was enough for whatever he or it was because he skittered off and around the corner before I could figure out how to kill him with my sustainable transportation.

I couldn't find any trace of him other than his Ray-Bans and the chicken lo mein he ordered earlier, still in its neatly wrapped up styrofoam container. I managed to get myself back home safely enough, shredded bike and all, so I guess he wasn't up for a second go at me. But he better believe I'm going to find him. I still need to return his glasses and thank him for buying me dinner.

quote:

And because human problems aren't any easier than monster problems, Rosy, sitting directly behind you, has pretty obviously got a crush on you, and is working up the courage to tell you. How do you feel about that?

Jacob leans back in this chair, running a hand through his curly, black hair and over his fall-themed kippah thinking to himself "I got some bullies a while back to leave Rosy alone by convincing them her dad was a cop and I guess she looked too much into it." He doesn't need to hazard a look behind him to tell she's staring, "I've caught her looking at me in the halls or during gym." He sighs, "And if I can tell someone's interested in me then everyone else probably knows too." He leans back up, "Well, maybe if I don't make the first move she'll move on and just be okay with being friends." He turns around and smiles,

"Hey Rosy, I'm likin' the new haircut. Is that your new fall look?"

Inadvertently Turning On Rosy 2d6+2: 9

"Yeah," Jacob thinks, "just good pals."

quote:

Name: Jacob Weissman
Skin: The Chosen
Look: Anxious, disquieting eyes
Origin: Destined

Stats: Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Backstory

You have two friends (Joel and Alisha) who you can rely on for monster-slaying support.
Take a String on each.

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

Moves

Come Prepared
You have an outlandishly large armory, complete with ancient artifacts. Just in case the need arises.

To The Books
When the chips are down, and the sinister villain seems unbeatable, you can turn to your friends for research help. Roll with the number of people assisting you. On a 10 up, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:
  • ask the MC a question (MC must answer truthfully);
  • your enemy gains the Condition secret weakness;
  • gain a String on your enemy;
  • carry 1 forward.
Light the Way
Whenever your friends follow through on your commands or your lead, they add 1 to their roll. (If your friends are NPCs, they instead act at an Advantage.)

Mesmerizing
When you stare at someone without blinking, roll with Hot. On a 10 up, they freeze up until you blink or someone touches them, and they gain the Condition dazed. On a 7-9, they gain the Condition dazed.

Final Showdown
Spend 4 Strings you have on an NPC to kill them. They are irrevocably dead. They can spend any Strings they have against you to deal you harm, 1-for-1, on the way out.

Sex Move
When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 2, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Alisha, A couple of weeks ago, you had an ‘incident’, and it was a pretty bad one. What happened, and how much damage did you cause?

In addition, Abel Hunt, some fuckwit in the first row, has decided you’re ungodly, and is spreading rumours about you. What’s the latest thing he’s cooked up, and how do you plan to deal with him?

Well, here I am. To be honest, thought I wasn't going to be here. I hoped Abel wasn't gonna be here either. See, he starting thinking I wasn't living my life in his little boxes. He started harassing me about it, asking me about some of my choices. Screw that guy. I'll drink what I want and flirt with who I want. So then he starts getting on my case with his bible thumping bullshit. So I figure I'll try and get him to shut up.

He likes to bike out on the trails near here. I like to hide in the bushes nearby and turn into a wolf monster and wreck people's bikes. What a coincidence.

Well, I guess he saw my face mid-transformation, because then he started really cranking it up, calling me a demon and saying I should be - oh, god, all sorts of horrible crap. My parents threatened to pull me out of the town entirely for that, and they'd probably be right to do so, because who does a thing like that? But also, gently caress You Abel Hunt. I could sell badges with that on. He's still doing the demon thing, and nobody believes him, but maybe I'll pay him a visit at lunch break and show him what happens to mouths that keep flapping open.

Meantime, I'm bored. I turn to Hazel. Hazel's okay. I can chat to him about stuff and he doesn't think I'm a bitch, so that's cool.

"Haaaaazeeeellllelelelelelel. Sup. How do you feel about skeletons? 'cause I'm thinking I got a cool Grim Reaper costume I could try. What about you?"

quote:

Name: Alisha Richards
Skin: Werewolf
Look: Wiry, Fierce Eyes
Origin: Bitten

Stats: Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark 0

Moves:
Uncontainable: When you attempt to escape any form of physical entrapment, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, you escape. On a 7-9 the MC will offer you a hard bargain: agree if you want to escape.

Bare Your Fangs: While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Primal Dominance: When you harm someone, gain a string on them.

Take the Blow: When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

ADVANCES
- +1 Dark (from -1 to 0)
- Primal Dominance
- Chosen's Take the Blow

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 16, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

I wonder what Rebecca keeps in her locker. Could there be a way to get inside without anyone knowing? Nah, too risky. Ugh, I swear this magic thing can be so hard someti-

quote:

"Haaaaazeeeellllelelelelelel."

I snap out of my thoughts and turn towards the speaker. Oh hey it's Alisha. She's pretty cool.

quote:

"Sup. How do you feel about skeletons? 'cause I'm thinking I got a cool Grim Reaper costume I could try. What about you?"

"Yeah, skeletons seem good. Grim Reaper's a classic. As for me, I dunno. I'm thinking something like...witch? Shouldn't be too hard to put together really. Just get robes, a broom, and like wands or books or whatever."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson
Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 0/5

quote:

Damien, Uncle Jack’s mad at someone in the class. Who, and why, and what does he want you to do to them?

Given that you’re an adopted kid who’s been in trouble before, a bully in the class - Rebecca - has decided to make your life hell. What’s she done lately to you?

I look up at Lisa. Yeah, she wasn't too enthusiastic about mandatory parties either. "Yeah, never was much of a party-type myself. Could always say it's against our religion and poo poo. Bla-bla-bla, dangers of the occult, pagan rituals. Maybe we can get Abel to back us up on it or something? Then we could just hang out and do whatever." My parents are actually not 100% comfortable with Halloween parties. Told me to think of it as nothing else than a little game and not getting involved in anything more than dress up and dancing. But they also want me to make friends.

Then she asks for outfits. I eh... try to think. I never really got into it much. Uncle Jack always thought Halloween was stupid. People mocking things they didn't have the slightest idea about. He'd call it, so I'd never really celebrated it. But I don't want to say that to my friend. We gotta do it together. "Zombies." I say, because I want a matching outfit, and if I pick Scott, it will seem like I'm trying to get together.

She's my friend. I cannot lose a friend. High school romances never go anywhere.

"I mean, if we're gonna dress up, might as well be something people recognize. And walking around like zombies, I'm sure we could get up to some pranks."

Like for example on Rebecca. It's not like it's anything new. Nothing more than what I expect. Tripping me if I'm careless, gum on chairs,, discussing what a creep I am at a volume I'm sure to hear. I barely react to it anymore, honestly. When I'm 18, Uncle Jack told me I could show them a reaction they'd never forget, but for now, I should just learn my lessons from it and shut up. It used to go better. But well, shortly after the... thing with my parents, she took a shot that maybe my parents should check if they still had the receipt for me. I got angry, yelled at her, grabbed her. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Not only did I get in trouble for stating a fight, a fight where I got a few bruises, but now she pretty much pushes on it non-stop. And I found out her parents actually know mine. So when I went after her, my parents got a call from hers. And they were very understanding over it, but I've already been so bad to them, how many more strikes do I have? So I can't do anything to her. No fights, no pranks, not even trying to find something to hurt her back. But I'll do it for my new parents. I owe it to them.

Uncle Jack isn't worried about Rebecca though. He's worried about Jacob. I don't know why. Seems pretty all right to me. Pretty good at gym I suppose. But Uncle Jack wants me to try to get him out of the school, hospitalized or expelled. Or get myself expelled from school, but I don't wanna do that. Says it's for my own good, but he can't explain. That's... pretty odd. usually, Uncle Jack tells me the others are just worthy only of contempt. Never seen him that worked up about someone who wasn't actively threatening me before. But while Uncle Jack might be wrong about Lisa, I can trust him about this, I suppose.

Shogeton posted:

Damien Thompson

I have little memory of my real parents. Weird smells and odd symbols and not being allowed to go outside much. I'm told they were in some kind of cult. CPS took me away from them when I was six. No, the first clear memory I have is talking to Uncle Jack. He tells me my parents were great people, wise people. That they were doing something wonderful, and were stopped by enemies who would now try to turn me against them. That he was sent to watch over me. To be sure I was safe from the enemies of my parents.

So I grew up with Uncle Jack. Living in the group homes, it was easy to believe him that noone was on my side except him. Nothing shocking, just... not a family. I was fostered a few time but... well... it never took. Uncle Jack and I took care of that. I even got put on meds for a while, because they found out I talked to him. So I've been keeping him a secret ever since. Not that it silenced Uncle Jack, it just made me feel like poo poo. So I spent a lot of time going form foster home to group home. Uncle Jack told me that when I became 18, he'd show me a big surprise.

And then, about two years ago the Newlands adopted me. Adoption agencies themselves were pretty surprised. Didn't think much of it. Figured it'd just be a change of pace before things got bad. But... they didn't. Me and Uncle Jack tried. I was rude to them, I broke things, I stole from them... but they just...well, they punished me, but they always kept saying they loved me and prayed for me. Uncle Jack was getting angry, telling me to do... worse things. Things that... would probably work. But I don't want to do those.

Maybe I don't want it to be me and Uncle Jack anymore. Maybe these people can be my... new parents. Just thinking it makes uncle Jack tell me how much my mom and dad would weep, and how much they sacrificed for me. But I'm lonely. I'm tired of being lonely. Maybe not everyone is my enemy. So I'm... trying. I've gone to church with them, and I've made a friend in school. It's... it's great. Things I never had. But it's scary, I'm worried that at some point everyone's gonna show how they fooled me and were just pretending and Uncle Jack was right. I'm feeling guilty that I'm betraying my parents. But I'm going to take the chance. I just don't want to be alone anymore.

I just hope Uncle Jack won't do anything... bad.

pre:
    Name: Damien Thompson
    Look: hollow eyes
    Origin: possessed
    Skin: The Shadow
    Shadow Name: Uncle Jack
    Shadow Voice: fathomless voice

Moves:
 The Passenger
Your Shadow takes note of anyone with their fingers in your clay. Anytime
someone gains a string on you, give them the condition Shadowed. 
When you gaze into the abyss, it’s your Shadow who answers. 

Mine!
When you lash out physically against someone who has a string on you, roll
Dark instead of Volatile.

Whispers in the Dark
When someone with the Shadowed condition gazes into the abyss, you may
answer instead of the MC, and you may lie. This removes the Shadowed
condition from the gazer. This does not require the Shadowed condition if
gaze into the abyss is used to ask questions about you.

Darkest Self
 You’ve let what was outside in, and it isn’t interested in leaving. You have a
ringside seat for the darkness parading around in your skin, and it doesn’t like
all the friends and foes you’ve made. It needs to hurt and punish to distance
itself from all those connections, and it isn’t afraid to cross as many lines as it
takes to do it. While you are your Darkest Self, you can use Mine! even if you’ve never 
selected the move. You can escape your Darkest Self when someone recognizes you aren’t behind
the wheel, or when all your strings are gone. 

Sex Move
When you’re intimate with someone, give them the Shadowed condition. If they already have it,
mark experience and give them the Drained condition instead. If they already have that as well,
they take 1 harm.

History
    Someone is the first real friend you’ve made. Each of you take a string on
the other. This does not give them the Shadowed condition.

Someone took the heat for something you did and they know it. They take a string on you. 
This does not give them the Shadowed condition

Harm: ()()()()
    XP: ()()()()(Advance)

Conditions:
    Carry Forward:
NPC: Rick Michaels is a local boy. He's not a student at our school though, neither his grade nor his parents' standing in this town allowed that. And he is angry about that. He's got some local friends of his, usually either high school seniors, or high school graduates in dead-end jobs, and he enjoys making life miserable for people in the school. Nothing that could get him in too much trouble with the law, but enough that most students know to avoid him.

Norseman's Cove : There's stories going around that a long time ago, even before Columbus, vikings arrived here, and even had a settlement where we are now for a while. Nothing really got proven, but according to the stories and rumors, that is where they set up a camp. Some kids like to have metal concerts there for that reason. Not like there's any place more metal in Wisconsin, Maine.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 7, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
Hot: -1, Cold: 2, Volatile: 1, Dark: -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

----

I've been trying to avoid Hazel ever since I wussed out and left a note in his locker instead of talking to him about his phone, but the dude is seriously one step short of stalking me at this point. He's staring at me right now. I don't know if anyone else notices this but I sure do. Most days I don't respond to it. OK, Alisha distracted him. Phew. This whole pretending nothing's wrong thing is hard enough without having to worry about him doing something crazy.

Dean keeps trying to get my attention from a seat up. His sister Melissa is friends with my sister Jenna and he was asking if I wanted to go to a baseball game and bring them with but I haven't given him a solid yes or no yet. I've never really cared much about sports since I don't have a home-team to root for and that's most of the fun of it. I texted Jenna earlier, asked if she wanted to go. I'd put up with it if she did, but if she didn't then I'd skip. Dean's OK, but I wouldn't count him as my friend yet. I wasn't really sure if I should even make friends right now. I was on borrowed time.

My stomach growled. Lunch was a long ways off and I was only sort of hungry for reheated pizza and chocolate milk. Eating normal food was important to looking normal, I'd discovered pretty early on, but it didn't fill up that aching hole in my gut. After the... the thing at the funeral home I'd had to come to terms with being a zombie for real. I didn't want to hurt anyone, and I thought if I was careful I could get away with it. Yeah, fat chance. I tried dumpster diving outside a few of the doctors offices. It was about as disgusting as you can imagine and I didn't find anything edible. So I haven't... 'eaten' since that night. I don't think I can put it off for much longer though.

----

quote:

Name: Joel Novak, The Ghoul
Look: Stiff, Hungry Eyes
Origin: Sent

Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1

Moves:
The Hunger- You have a Hunger for flesh.
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Satiety-When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
-- heal one harm;
-- remove a Condition;
-- mark experience;
-- carry 1 forward.

Short Rest for the Wicked- When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self:
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Backstory:
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.
Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Hot +1, Cold -1,Volatile +2, Dark -1

Heliotrope posted:

"Yeah, skeletons seem good. Grim Reaper's a classic. As for me, I dunno. I'm thinking something like...witch? Shouldn't be too hard to put together really. Just get robes, a broom, and like wands or books or whatever."

"Just a generic witch? Or, like, any one in particular. Get some nerd glasses, you could be a good Harry Potter. Or a wig. You need a nose as well, if you're a wicked witch." I shrug. "It could work out.

I glance forward at Joel. I still can't smell him. Well, not that I'm trying. Turning my wolf brain on makes the room smell like a Texas barbecue which is really distracting and makes having conversations difficult, so I don't do it at all. I figure Hazel's probably staring at him for a different reason. Hey, I don't judge.

"So, what's with Joel?" I grin at Hazel a bit. Let's rib him a bit. "You like him? He's nice, but I didn't figure he was your type. You can tell me, Hazel."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette
Hot: 2, Cold: -1, Volatile: 1, Dark: 1

quote:

"I mean, if we're gonna dress up, might as well be something people recognize. And walking around like zombies, I'm sure we could get up to some pranks."

Yes! Damien's on-board! "Ohh, good choice. Zombies it is." He's probably right, I doubt anyone here has read the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels.

"So, ripped up clothes should be easy, and there's gotta be somewhere in town we can buy fake blood... I have eyeliner so we can do really big black marks around our eyes and stuff, and we can use a sharpie to do stitch marks or lobotomy scars or something else cool. Oh! And we'll need toilet paper, and some eggs, some flour too, bare minimum. I can pay for that stuff... if you want to come along while I buy it. Going alone would be lame." I don't exactly get the impression that Damien is loaded, and my own parents are pretty drat well off. Plus the whole thing is my idea, it's only fair that I pick up the tab.

I'm already grinning thinking about how much fun we'll be able to get up to tonight. Halloween is easily the best major holiday - everyone gets dressed up, hangs out with their friends, eats candy and plays pranks on each other. What's not to love about it? No matter how lame the party is, Damien and I will certainly be having our own fun.

"So yeah, we'll both be zooombiiiieeeees." I'm stalking up to behind Kimmy while I talk, in order to grab her by the shoulders so as to proclaim, "And we'll eeeaaat yooouuur braaaaiiiins!" I'm making crunching and chewing noises as I pretend to munch on Kimmy's brains, because it's basically Halloween dammit, I'm allowed to act silly!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Hot -1, Cold 1,Volatile -1, Dark 2

The Deleter posted:

"Just a generic witch? Or, like, any one in particular. Get some nerd glasses, you could be a good Harry Potter. Or a wig. You need a nose as well, if you're a wicked witch." "It could work out."

"...honestly you just put more thought into it then I did. Basically, going as generic."

quote:

"So, what's with Joel?" "You like him? He's nice, but I didn't figure he was your type. You can tell me, Hazel."

I practically fall out of my loving chair. poo poo. poo poo. Am I really staring at him that much? Also, loving gross. Would that be necrophilia? poo poo, what am I even thinking?

"No! I mean, nothing wrong with him but you have the wrong idea."

Okay so why are you staring at him? Quick Hazel, come up with something to distract her from this. Something. Anything. I lean in a bit closer to Allisha.

"Besides, why would I need to look over at him when I can just look at you?"

oh my god hazel you giant loving idiot

<Heliotrope> !roll 2d6 - 1
<Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 7 - 1 = 6

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Jacob: She smiles, awkwardly, and surprised at the compliment. She's probably not had many of those this year. "U-um, yeah... Thought I'd try something new." she mumbles, flustered and barely audible. Take a string on her "Y-your hair looks nice, too..." As she says that, Dean, sitting one seat to her right, sniggers at her attempt to make conversation, and Rosy visibly wilts at his laughter. What do you do?

Joel: As you're sitting by yourself, thinking of your hunger, Vernon, sitting in the row in front of you, turns to face you. "Hey man, you okay? You like you're coming off the worst trip ever." Lowering his voice, he adds "Who's your supplier~?" with a smirk. "I bet I can get you a better one." How do you respond to that?

Damien + Lisa:
Kimmy squeals in surprise as she's grabbed, having been focused on some pamphlet or another on her desk. She tries to hide it under her textbook, but you can make out the logo for the ARS (Animal Rights Society) on one corner. When was the last time Kimmy got in serious trouble for affiliating with that group? What did you make her promise you about it?

While Lisa's occupied with that, Damien can see Howard, the blue-blood elite of the class, send the both of you a disgusted frown. He couldn't be any more straight-laced if he tried, and seeing people who don't 'fit in' has always pissed him off. He's always the first to rat you out to teachers if you do anything wrong. What has Uncle Jack told you to do to get back at him? Do you think you'll do it?

Alisha + Hazel:
While Hazel still reels from that anything-but-smooth line, Alisha can smell... something, just in that instant, a sharp, acrid stench. Just for a half-second as he loses his composure, Hazel reeks of it. When was the last time you smelt something like that? Did anything come of it?

That half-second passes all too quickly, as Rebecca, seated behind Hazel, kicks the back legs of his chair, causing it to overbalance and fall to the ground. She laughs at that, with some demented, out-of-breath hyena chuckle. Hazel, take 1 Harm, what do you do?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 8, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

"Heeeyyy, Kimmy." Taking my hands off her shoulders, I walk around her desk to tap the book she'd tried to hide the pamphlet under. It was a good attempt - I'd have done the same thing in her shoes - so I'm not really that mad about her trying to literally cover it up. Not yet, anyways - not as long as she hasn't lied to me. I look over to signal Damien that I'll be back to talking to him in a second, but he looks distracted, so whatever. Instead, I lean in, put my elbows on her desk and my head in my hands, and start trying to quietly interrogate her.

"So, remember when you chained yourself to the wrong tree that one, hopefully, time?"

Everybody else certainly does, it was the kind of thing you couldn't help but tease someone about. I'd even agreed with her and I've still given her poo poo for it. They definitely didn't need to bulldoze that super old tree to put in more parking, but I'm not gonna chain myself to it - that accomplishes nothing. They'll just bulldoze it when you leave. She should've just poured sugar in the bulldozer's gas tank and gone home. Plus, the wrong tree? How does that even happen? And where was ARS when was she sitting in ISS for a week?

"And remember when you promised me that you'd tell me the next time you were gonna do something with these guys? So I could tell you if it was stupid, and if it wasn't then I'll try and help out?"

It's pretty obvious to both of us that I'm better at breaking rules than she is, and after I'd told her about the sugar thing in English one day, she promised - said it and everything - that she'd let me help her next time. It was cool of her to have stood up for her beliefs, it was even kinda brave - the environment is pretty awesome, and basically everyone that hates hippies totally sucks. So I'd meant it when I'd told her I'd help as long as whatever ARS wanted her to do wasn't totally dumb like last time.

"So, you didn't lie about that, right? Didn't forget? 'Cuz I was actually serious about it."

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 8, 2015

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

"Don't worry Rosy, Dean's not laughing," Jacob says as a wry grin comes to his face, "It's just a nervous tick he gets when he's off his meds."

Shut Down on Dean 2d6-1: 6

Judging by the looks he got for that one, Jacob realizes that the line may have come across a bit more cruel than he intended.

"Great," he thinks, his grin turning more pained as the moment lingers, "now I'm the rear end in a top hat."

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 8, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 0/5

"Sounds good." I say as Lisa suggests things, but then she goes off to tease Kimmy. I don't know the hippie girl well. Lisa does. Lisa can make friends so easily. Should I... join in the zombie mob?

I look around briefly, noticing Howard giving a disgusted look my way, so I flip him a bird. rear end in a top hat. Uncle Jack suggested that since he's got oodles of cash, maybe I could see about making him 'lose his wallet' So he couldn't buy whatever he wanted for a day. And the money, well, I could always do some chores here and there, then give the money to my parents to help them out. It's a good idea, but I should be careful not to get caught. But with Uncle Jack's help, he could drop his wallet on the ground somewhere, and I could just scope it up, take the money and then drop the wallet in the sewer or something.

And then I look back at Lisa and the moment passed. She's talking to Kimmy, and it looks like things I'm not involved in. But Lisa is my fried, right? So, I get to be there as well. I move myself next to her, opposite of Kimmy "Hey, eh, sorry. Howard was making the evil eye at me, so eh... I had to ward it off with sacred gestures. What's up?"

Clingy, cling, clingety cling

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards

Ouch. I give Hazel the old raised eyebrow. "Flattered. But I prefer people who don't fall over when I hit them. No offence."

But then there's the smell. Oh, ugh. That... what is that? I've only smelt that one time before, I think. Or something like it. It was near Beaver Creek, where that creepy bridge is. Wolf-side doesn't like it, and regular me sure doesn't either. I stay away from there nowadays. It's creepy, too. In fact, between that and the whole thing with Abel, I don't go walking much anymore.

And then Rebecca does her really dumb thing. loving Rebecca, what a bitch. I roll my eyes. "Oh, wow, real mature, Rebecca. Almost made me think you had a brain in your head. Maybe if you slam your head against the desk I'll hear it rattle around in your empty loving skull."

11:45 DelWork !r 2d6-1
11:45 Krysmbot DelWork, 10-1 = 9

Let's trade conditions. Rebecca gets "rear end in a top hat."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

For a second I wonder if the sensation of falling is part of that horrible feeling of embarrassment. Then I hit the ground and realize, oh wait no it's just loving Rebecca, being herself as usual. Goddamn am I going to enjoy hexing the poo poo out of her. Yeah keep laughing rear end in a top hat, we'll see if you think you're so funny by tomorrow. I set my chair back up and get back in while Alisha chews her out. Well, at least I diverted her attention away from the whole "Joel" thing. I guess. I don't want to push my luck, but maybe she'll forget about that awful line I gave her too.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
----

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Vernon, sitting in the row in front of you, turns to face you. "Hey man, you okay? You like you're coming off the worst trip ever." Lowering his voice, he adds "Who's your supplier~?" with a smirk. "I bet I can get you a better one." How do you respond to that?

I glared at Vernon. "I'm not on drugs, idiot. I just haven't been sleeping well." Which is absolutely true. It's been really hard to sleep since the 'accident.' I keep having these dreams about a woman dancing in front of a fire. I can't see her face. She's singing and I can't understand any of the words, but she sounds so angry with me. There's a drum in her hands and the beat-beat-beat wakes me up every time.

Thinking about it, maybe Vernon really could help me out. "How much are you charging for Vicodin, anyway?"

quote:

Rebecca, seated behind Hazel, kicks the back legs of his chair, causing it to overbalance and fall to the ground. She laughs at that, with some demented, out-of-breath hyena chuckle.

The chair hit the ground with a bang and it drew my attention as if I'd just heard someone yell 'Dinner!' Ah, just Rebecca being... Rebecca. Nothing to get excited over. I definitely did NOT laugh at Hazel as he pulled himself off the ground but I don't think I could hide the smile if I tried. I wasn't a big believer in Karma, (somehow I doubted Rebecca would be the universe's first choice for delivering just desserts,) but the dude was a problem. I was going to have to talk to him eventually, but... I mean what was I going to say that I hadn't already in my note? I didn't want to threaten him, that would be all kinds of hosed up. If he kept this up though I wasn't sure if I had another choice.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Alisha+Hazel: "Geez, no need to be so angry, 'leesh. It was an accident~" Rebecca grins, insincerely. "Besides, it's none of your business, is it? So you should keep out." She's looking very smug about herself. Some of the unoccupied students watch this confrontation with varying degrees of interest. Among them, Hazel can note Joel smirking and not even bothering to hide it. What do you do?

She'll give Alisha the Condition 'Meddler'.

Damien & Lisa:
The hippie has the decency to look ashamed, at least, and a bit worried when Damien comes to join the two girls. "I was gonna tell you..." she mutters, fidgeting, and refusing to meet eye contact. "Just needed to find the right time, was all... And I know you'd say this was stupid but it isn't, it's really important, so..."

Damien, when was the last time you heard someone about to make a big mistake say 'it was really important', even when they knew it could go badly?

Lisa, when was the last time Kim felt so strongly about one of these causes it almost brought her to tears? How did that end up?

Jacob: Dean narrows his eyes, and you can swear you see those pupils turn to slits, like a cat, or snake. Then he blinks and they're back to normal. All he grumpily says is "Nice, Jake. Make fun of a guy's problems, will ya?" But Rosy seems happy at the very least to have someone stand up for her. What do you do?

Joel: Vernon shrugs. "Usual rates, if that's what you're really after. Didn't expect someone from California to be so, uh... y'know." Whatever the hell that means. "I can get it for you after school, just meet me at the front gate?" That was... awfully easy, and he's offering them for cheap. What do you do?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

God drat you Joel. Christ, this day just started and already it's somehow going wrong. Okay. You know what? gently caress you. gently caress you Joel. I have an open schedule for today, why don't I pencil you in right alongside Rebecca for Hex Time? Let's see you smirk then you loving dead piece of poo poo. I almost wish I hadn't left the note in that room back home, I could do a ritual right here in school and watch the reaction on his face. Oh well.

Honestly, should I even have waited this long? Who knows when he might act against me. Just gotta get through an entire school day. Fuuuuuuccck.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

Aww man, Kimmy is making me feel bad. Have I been that big of an rear end in a top hat to her? "Well if it's that huge, do you wanna talk to me about it later, like - not with everyone else around? I'll at least listen, I totally mean it. If this is anything like the animal shelter, Damien and I will definitely help too."

That whole thing with the Shelter had been absolute garbage - this lovely town cut the budget for the shelter or something, and so the animal control people announced they were gonna have to start putting cats and dogs down like, left and right. Kimmy had tried to get a bunch of us to picket the place - gave a really passionate speech about it, passed out pamphlets, then started sticking them in our lockers when the school told her to stop - but I heard there were maybe four people there, at the most. And that includes someone else from ARS and a newspaper guy. She'd tried really hard, and nobody had cared. At least I was in detention at the time, obviously couldn't have gone. I think she deserves some wins, and maybe Damien and I can help. At the least I'll try and stop her from getting expelled doing something dumb; she's one of my few alright classmates!

e: Cling to Lisa and you'll get caught up in her madness. :cheeky:

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 9, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
----

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Vernon shrugs. "Usual rates, if that's what you're really after. Didn't expect someone from California to be so, uh... y'know." Whatever the hell that means. "I can get it for you after school, just meet me at the front gate?" That was... awfully easy, and he's offering them for cheap. What do you do?

"I'm not from California. I just stayed there for a year." I said, shrugging. If he wanted to think everyone on the west coast smoked weed I wasn't going to change his mind. Dean was OK, but Vernon was shady and I didn't like him much. Goes to show how bad the lack of sleep was getting to me that I was willing to part with a few week's allowance to Vernon of all people. Right before Halloween too. "I'll be there, just try not to make it too obvious." I wasn't sure what'd be worse, a reputation as a drug addict or being thought of as Vernon's buddy. Eugh.

Where the heck was Mr. Campbell? With how expensive tuition here is normally it's hard to believe teachers can get away with not showing up to class on the regular like this guy does. Maybe he has some kind of tenure? I thought that was only for Professors but I never went to a fancy prep school in the middle of nowhere before. I leaned forward and put my head on the desk, closing my eyes. So tired.

Beat-Beat-Beat.

I can already hear the drum. Ugh, just let me sleep witch. But she won't. I can feel a prickle at the back of my neck, like someone's watching me. The drum beat is different this time. Faster. Telling me something? I wish I could understand...

Gazing into the Abyss, Joel's curse is trying to warn him of someone's Evil Intentions. 2d6-1 = 6. I'm spending one of my Strings on Hazel to bring that up to a 7. The visions are confusing and alarming. Marking experience for Dark.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Jacob Weissman
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

"E-eyes?" Jacob inadvertently whispers aloud as he notices the subtle change in Dean. Could he be..? "Eye, uh, haven't heard from you in a while, Hunt!" He turns abruptly and slaps Abel Hunt in the back, perhaps harder than he intended.

A grin takes Jake's face once more, "And what's this I hear about you and Alisha?" He places his hand on his heart melodramatically, "Man, you're making me jealous: Here I learn your harassing some poor girl on the other side of the class when you've got a perfectly good heathen sitting right here next to you!" He leans back, raising his hands up, "And it's been weeks since you've slipped one of those little demon comics in my locker!" Crossing his arms, Jacob smirks,

"What's she got that I don't?"

Manipulating Abel 2d6+2: 8

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 9, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Meddler

My eyes narrow. Oh, you're not the boss here, Rebecca. I'll fix you. I see Joel smirking out the corner of my eye, but I'll deal with him later. I'll figure you out, mister no-smell. You and your dumb face.

"Yeah, you're right. You are kind of an accident. Not sure why your parents didn't mulligan for a kid who wasn't a shithead."

Oh, did I cross a line? Suck it up.

Shut Down Rebecca some more: 2d6-1 2

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson
Harm: 0/4 EXP: 1/5

"Yeah, definitely." For a brief moment I'd worried that 'without anyone else around' meant she didn't want to talk about it with me around. But I'm involved too. I don't give a poo poo about the whales, or whatever cause hippie chick got, and I don't give a poo poo about Kimmy herself, but if my friend is in, so am I. And if I'm in, so is Uncle Jack, even if he keeps telling me that I shouldn't trust Lisa. I briefly look at him from the corner of my eyes, the shadow cast on the floor. He briefly shrugs in exasperation before copying my movements again.

'It's really important' That's what I told Uncle Jack. You know, after I got the ring from that house, Uncle Jack said I should get to some police. Get myself back in the foster care system, because it wasn't safe to be out while I was still so young. But with that ring, I wanted to see my parents. I was on their trail then. I didn't want to go back to waiting for more folk to try me out like a set of shoes. Uncle Jack hadn't agreed, but he supported me. We found out where my mother got taken from someone who lived nearby. It was far away though, somewhere in Ohio. I spent some time begging and stealing to get the money for a bus ticket. And there were... dangerous times. But finally, I got to the asylum she was kept. I managed to lie my way in with some help from Uncle Jack, and I met my mother.

I wanted to tell her I still loved them. I wanted to tell her I was okay with Uncle Jack, that it'd all be all right. And that I'd get her out. But she didn't recognize me. Didn't recognize anyone. She was drugged the gently caress out of her mind. Walking around like a zombie. Uncle Jack said that's what'd happen to me too if they'd ever caught wind of Uncle Jack. I didn't manage to sneak out of the asylum again. They stopped me and held me, and I was goddamn terrified they were gonna keep me there forever. But they just had the police come there and bring me back to the foster care place.

Was it worth it? I used to think of my mom like this strong woman, looking defiantly as she got carted away, knowing I'd return to save her. Storybook poo poo. Now, I can only see that grey, dead-eyed husk. And now I'm kind of going against Uncle Jack's advice again.

But you might as well go for it then, right? I give her a smile that I hope wasn't too creepy. "I mean, maybe it is stupid. But hey, then we can be loving stupid together, right?" I need to make sure she likes me, or else maybe Lisa won't like me.

Turn On Kimmy: 2d6-1 6 mark experience for using hot

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Joel: You hear screaming, as you run through the forest, screams of pain and sheer terror. You're chasing someone, someone slower than you, weaker. Someone who trips on a tree-root and lands heavily, eyes turned up to see you like a deer in the headlights. There's blood on your lips, and your hands, and the sweet taste of flesh between your teeth. The moon shines bright, its rays cutting through the treetops, and as you advance, you see the person you're chasing didn't trip over a root, but a line in the earth. The line of a circle... no - a pentagram. Then you wake up, back in class. What do you do?

Jacob: Abel's eyes narrow - but his, at least, look perfectly human. "There's room enough for both of you in the Lord's chastisement and my prayers," he says, but he does seem less fire-and-brimstone today, and it's definitely true he's been glaring at her more often, and barely at you at all. He looks like he's about to say something more, then swallows and shakes his head. "You wouldn't understand." What do you do?

Lisa+Damien: Kimmy feebly nods at the idea of talking about it in private. Whatever it is, it seems to be pretty embarassing for her! She even smiles at Damien's comment, but then the PA starts to chime, marred by crackling static in the background, and an austere voice says: "Damien Thompson, please report to the Office of the Principal." It repeats itself twice before the PA shuts off with a click. What do you do?

Alisha+Hazel: "gently caress you," Rebecca snarls, leaping to her feet. More and more people are watching now, ready for an imminent fight... and violence has always made the wolf-part of Alisha's brain start to take over. Nothing she can't control and force back, now that she has experience, it's not like she's going to fully turn into a giant wolf-monster in the middle of class, but... from the position Hazel is in, he's the only one that can see tufts of what is unmistakeably fur poke out of the top of Alisha's socks. What does that mean? What do you do?

Someone, probably Dean, starts the chant of "Fight - Fight - Fight" as Rebecca and Alisha square off, but Morgan, sat by the window, pipes up with "Mr. Campbell's coming!" and anyone by the window can clearly see him crossing the courtyard towards the school entrance. You have about a minute until he arrives, what do you all do?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson

I look at the starting fight and give a bit of a smile. Here's hoping Alisha lays some serious hurt on Rebecca. But then that call comes.

You know what the loving problem is with trying to be nice and not disappoint your parents? You actually give a poo poo about things like these. I mean, I don't think I did anything THAT bad, recently, did I? I give a nervous look and get up. "Well, they who are probably gonna get lectured at salute you and all that. Tell me who won the fight later, kay?" I get up and walk out of the class.

Still nervous as poo poo though, and I nervously start toying with the ring I wear around my neck. Looking to make sure nobody's in the hallway I look towards my shadow, towards Uncle Jack. "You got any idea what's going on, uncle?"

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+2 11 The vision is lucid and detailed and shows me what I must do and gives me a +1 forward

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant
Harm 1/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Oh jesus christ. First it turns out Joel is undead and now Alisha is...something too. This is one of those days where you wish you stayed in bed, but like, a hundred loving times worse. Okay, okay, think about now and worry about her fur condition later. Campbell's coming and I need to help her out before whatever is going on finishes. So maybe I should - oh gently caress, I didn't want to get Rebecca's attention, but right now...

I jump up out of my seat and move towards the pair. Loudly, trying to get her attention I say "Goddamn Rebecca, quit being an rear end in a top hat and calm down for once you loving psycho!"

Alisha you better appreciate what I'm doing here.

Shutting Down Rebecca, taking advantage of rear end in a top hat condition: 2d6+2 10

Choosing to gain a String on her

Marking 1 XP for using Cold

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0(+1)/5 | Conditions: Meddler

"You can't afford me." I can feel myself wanting to turn, but I can hold it back. Just a bit of sock fur. I don't need to turn to show this bitch who's in charge, anyway. Here's a clue - not her.

I've got a minute before Mister Campbell arribes to crash the party, so I'm going to have to end this quick. Hazel's shouting something but who cares? I've got a few years of Judo behind me, but I don't need it. I just dart forwards and slam the palm of my hand into her nose. Don't need no fancy martial arts, or wolf tricks, or stupid kid poo poo like pulling hair. One-two gently caress you.

(Delsnow) !r 2d6+2
(Krysmbot) Delsnow, 7+2 = 9

I choose to let her have a string on me. Mark 1 exp for rolling Volatile.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette

Calling Damien in? Bet it's something I did. Plus a fight too? One featuring Rebecca, who is like the shittiest person to sit next to ever? Today's staring out extra-interesting. Damien jokes about the upcoming fight, which makes me laugh. I promise him when he asks me to tell him about it after he gets back, but I'm more than a little distracted by the brewing fight. "Will do, give Mr. Wilson a 'gently caress you' from me, k?"

Ughhhhhhhhhh, why's Hazel gotta butt in right before things get good? Time to cup my hands out and shout a bit, I wanna see this thing happen. "Somebody watch the door for Mr. Campbell! Also - Hazel, shut up please. Rebecca has this coming." Alisha's loving scary, she's easily gonna kick the poo poo outta her. Nevermind, IS kicking the poo poo outta her... Christ. That's blood. Awesome.

"Ahaha, where's your retard strength when you need it Becca? None of us woulda put up with your poo poo if we knew you sucked this bad at fighting." I stick my tongue out at her too, but I doubt she's got time to notice.

Shutting Rebecca Down: 2d6-1 8

Giving her the condition Mocked.

Marking XP for cold.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 10, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

So it seems like I got to Rebecca, right before Alisha smashes her in the face. I jump back, and it looks like she's not transforming into some horrific hidous monster as she proceeds to kick Rebecca's rear end. Sure, okay, guess I didn't actually need to jump in then. Whatever. I sit back down and watch the show. Maybe this is a sign the day will get better.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel Novak
----

AdjectiveNoun posted:

You hear screaming, as you run through the forest, screams of pain and sheer terror. You're chasing someone, someone slower than you, weaker. Someone who trips on a tree-root and lands heavily, eyes turned up to see you like a deer in the headlights. There's blood on your lips, and your hands, and the sweet taste of flesh between your teeth. The moon shines bright, its rays cutting through the treetops, and as you advance, you see the person you're chasing didn't trip over a root, but a line in the earth. The line of a circle... no - a pentagram. Then you wake up, back in class. What do you do?

My body ached a little as I sat up. I wiped the drool off the desk and rubbed at my eyes. The visions were getting stronger. This one... My heart was still racing from the chase. I could taste copper and I realized I'd bitten the inside of my cheek. poo poo. It had been so... so... easy... in the dream. No doubts, no fears, no humanity. If I ever slipped, if I lost control... I'd enjoy it. That was what scared me more than anything.

There was more to it than that though. The pentagram, at the end, I'd been on the inside of it. Led to the trap like a dumb animal by someone only pretending to be weak. I couldn't see who it was in the vision, but the warning was clear enough. Some other witch was going to gently caress with me, and if I wasn't smart about dealing with him I was going to lose. I glanced over at Jacob for a second. His family was really, really, REALLY anti-monster. I'd managed to keep what I was a secret for now, but it was probably going to come out if I kept helping him. Would he come after me? I hoped not. Somehow it didn't seem to fit. Jacob wouldn't go for a trap like that he'd just fight me. I was looking for a weasel not a man.

quote:

Fight Fight Fight!

Oh geez. I haven't been paying attention. Are Alisha and Rebecca fighting over Hazel? I like Alisha, even though she's kind of... um... abrasive? It's the weirdest thing, most people kind of register to me as... well, dinner. Alisha doesn't. It's not a smell exactly, it's how she moves and how she postures. It's not just how tough she is, it's something I can't quite put a finger on yet. But seeing her in fighting form it all makes sense. Even Jacob doesn't move like THAT.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Rebecca's head snaps back and she sags down in her chair, bleeding from the nose, looking more shocked than anything, that somebody not only stood up to her, but smacked her down with a single blow. Just like that, it's done. She just sits there, stunned, and you can only tell she hears the jibes from Lisa and Hazel by her eyes flickering to gaze at them. Aside from that, she doesn't react. One person who does react, though, is Paul, who sits in front of Alisha. A 'good Christian boy', and not of the crazy bible-thumping variety that Abel's from, he watches with pursed lips, and shakes his head. "I thought better of you guys than that."

Lisa takes the condition 'Disappointment'.

Mr Campbell arrives soon afterward - but the sentry at the door lets everyone know with enough time to get to their seats and pretend nothing's wrong - aside from Rebecca's bruised nose, and she's doing her best to hide that. If there's one thing to be said about bullies, they aren't likely to snitch on people. Mr. Campbell himself doesn't seem to notice anything wrong as he heads to his desk, dressed in a pretty hideous plaid jacket and tan trousers, to take attendance and start the first lesson.

As he does so, notes start to be passed around, and in particular, one note is for a party in the woods, tonight, hosted by Vernon. Bring your own beer, of course. How do you all respond?

Damien: Uncle Jack knows - of course he does. How he learns these things is a mystery. "Extracurricular, my boy. You're not in trouble, this time. The Joel kid's still taking the heat for your little playdate. But they want you for their stupid little celebration." As he does when you're alone, Uncle Jack gestures with his hands as he speaks, the shadow very clearly not matching up with your movements. "You see, they want to show they have sympathy for all the poor, underprivileged kids coming to this fancy school. So they'll get you, the deaf kid from the next class, the black kid junior, etcetera,, to play some roles and show how grateful you are. You up for being Principal Wilson's pet until the end of their dumb party?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

A party by Vernon? Probably going to have to listen to his own music during it. On the other hand, a party is a party. I should easily have time to make it, and I think I can sneak some cans from my house. I lean over to Alisha.

"You going?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Meddler

Hells yeah. Get yourself schooled, Rebecca. There's a new queen in town.

I'm late to board the note=passing train - I've scared people with that little show, for some reason. A party, by Vernon? The stoner? Uuuhhh, sure, let's get my parents even more worried about me. My dad's gonna be bald at this rate. Buuuut...

Heliotrope posted:

"You going?"

Aha. A chance to score, maybe. I turn and give Hazel a big grin.

"Sure. I'll come with you, if you want. Maybe we can work on your pick-up lines, and your romancing in general."

Am I coming into him? Err, maybe a little. It's hard not to do something silly after kicking rear end like that.

Turn Hazel On
Deleter: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Deleter, 9+1 = 10

I take a string on Hazel!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

Wow. Uh. Okay Hazel just play it cool oh gently caress I dropped my pencil.

"Uh, yeah sure! Sounds good to me!"

oh my god hazel you idiot calm down

"So, you good for your own beer? I could probably get some from my house if you need it."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alisha Richards
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Meddler

Nice. Hazel wants the Richards. Bring it on.

"Yeah, I'm good for my own stuff. You wanna meet up at the truck stop first, get a burger or something? Then we can just walk up to the party."

Oh good, I'm inviting him to dinner now too. Slow down, Alisha. You won't have enough kick-rear end left for the rest of the day.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hazel Grant

"Burgers sound great! I've got some stuff to do at home, but I can send you a message when I'm done."

Oh man oh man. Are we just going out for a bite to eat or this is like, a date? poo poo, I dunno just go with it. Nothing normal at home should take too long, and neither should the rituals. And if it would, well I guess I can hold off on one of them. The question then would be: Rebecca or Joel? I guess that's another thing to figure out when the time comes.

I take out my phone. "Wanna exchange numbers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Damien Thompson

I don't think it's weird listening to the words I'm saying as if they're someone else's, since they are, or that my mouth is moving without me thinking either. It's always been like this. I can't imagine how it would be without.

"Ugh... yeah, sure, I'll get right on that." I say sarcastically. "I got plans on hanging around being a zombie with Lisa. Why the gently caress would I want to whore myself out for their little show?" I go to the principal's office, a lot more relaxed now. There's nothing they can offer that would make me go along with a pony show like that I'm sure.

• Locked thread