Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

- passive skills got reworked to be far simpler, you get big upgrades more often
- way more skill gems and way more of them drop so you're not at the end of act 2 still shooting fireballs at things
- drop rates have been relaxed in general so that you dont have a level 15 sword in nightmare mode, you actually find good poo poo pretty often
- you can set the loot to be assigned to people at random permanently, or classic D2 fighting over loot (most people set it to permanent allocation tho)
- way more uniques that are actual interesting uniques you can build characters around

the game owns. i havent been able to stop playing it. there is also a poo poo ton of endgame content through the randomized maps, including ~true~ final bosses and new dungeons and stuff.

give this game a chance. maybe we can make an imp guild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I just started playing again, it's the first time I have used steam since I bought my wii u.

It's much better now.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

gently caress off, OP. This is my thread tag.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Silver Striker posted:

sharing is caring

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Leadthumb posted:

It's much better now.

yesss

Silver Striker posted:

didnt have your name on it

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I don't know about that OP. The game was pretty bad before.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It was a tremendous load of, quite possibly Syphilis infected diarrhea, so I'll steer clear of this undoubtedly still turdy but perhaps slightly less so disaster.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

It was a tremendous load of, quite possibly Syphilis infected diarrhea, so I'll steer clear of this undoubtedly still turdy but perhaps slightly less so disaster.

Yea.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Anyway, PoE was really boring when I played it. It was like vanilla Diablo 3. I'd rather just play Reaper of Souls than try PoE again.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

it's so different now it's unrecognizable, especially if you last played it over a year ago

Silver Striker posted:

Anyway, PoE was really boring when I played it. It was like vanilla Diablo 3. I'd rather just play Reaper of Souls than try PoE again.

poe has never been as bad as diablo 3 in any of its forms even when poe was bad

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Barf of Sexile

Dec 26, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

i played it before, and i played it recently, and its better for the reasons in the op. if you didnt like it at all initially though i dont think it will change your mind

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

poe has never been as bad as diablo 3 in any of its forms even when poe was bad

Yeah, I could actually stand to play D3 at launch. I couldn't stand more than an hour or so of PoE.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

did they fix melee

did th ey fix rubberbanding

do they still expect you to roll a brand new character or farm an uber expensive item to try new things

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

hmmm do I want to play a fun or game or do I want to spend a week going through this skill tree trying to find the good ones?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

Yeah, I could actually stand to play D3 at launch. I couldn't stand more than an hour or so of PoE.

diablo 3 was supposed to be a finished game at launch

poe launched in like an alpha state and the second/third acts werent even done much less the skills and loot

its a world of difference

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

did they fix melee

did th ey fix rubberbanding

do they still expect you to roll a brand new character or farm an uber expensive item to try new things

Well I only play hardcore mode on these games, so the last one I don't care about but, whatever.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

iuvian posted:

hmmm do I want to play a fun or game or do I want to spend a week going through this skill tree trying to find the good ones?

this is the old skill tree, the new one is like less than half that size and very easy to read through

Dec 26, 2012

iuvian posted:

in the new skill tree the good ones are like twice as big, and there are a bunch more of them early and late. see for yourself

https://poebuilder.com/

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Barf of Sexile

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
No it's not it's still a super dumb game with lovely gameplay and largely passive skill trees. It's a glorified character builder where the game itself is secondary to the circle jerk of +x% to buggery

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i feel like diablo 3 made it too easy to change builds, and this game makes it too hard to change builds.

i would've liked it if skill runes in diablo 3 was something you had to work for and you couldn't just switch your entire skillset for a boss or area on a whim. also making boss fights more important in general.

i also think path of exile's item-based currency is kind of dumb, why not just have gold.

Dec 26, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

No it's not it's still a super dumb game with lovely gameplay and largely passive skill trees. It's a glorified character builder where the game itself is secondary to the circle jerk of +x% to buggery

the skill tree is wholly passive. this is why its called the passive skill tree. you should not be looking for active abilities there

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Dexters Secret posted:

i would've liked it if skill runes in diablo 3 was something you had to work for and you couldn't just switch your entire skillset for a boss or area on a whim. also making boss fights more important in general.

Why would you ever want this you loving idiot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dexters Secret posted:

i also think path of exile's item-based currency is kind of dumb, why not just have gold.

gold is dumb, i like the currency system. the devs realized gold is dumb because it's too easy to farm forever or make characters that revolve around gold find, currency stuff is way better for balance and more interesting for the market/crafting/buying from actual vendors etc.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Why would you ever want this you loving idiot

skill runes as a thing to earn rather than something you get automatically, you mean?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

01011001 posted:

in the new skill tree the good ones are like twice as big, and there are a bunch more of them early and late. see for yourself

https://poebuilder.com/

this is still too loving big for something that you would be expected to do yourself and it's obviously still intended that you look up a guide

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

sword_man.xmas posted:

this is still too loving big for something that you would be expected to do yourself and it's obviously still intended that you look up a guide

WHAT DO U MEAN

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

gold is dumb, i like the currency system. the devs realized gold is dumb because it's too easy to farm forever or make characters that revolve around gold find, currency stuff is way better for balance and more interesting for the market/crafting/buying from actual vendors etc.

then.. dont have gold find? i'm not sure i see what the big difference is between a gold and item based currency, they can be both messed up in the same exact ways.

there's no real difference other than obfuscation

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I liked Path of Exile, despite its problems, but was ultimately turned off by the poor netcode and rubberbanding, which can't be fixed unless they rewrite the game engine, from what I understand.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

sword_man.xmas posted:

:wth:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

WHAT DO U MEAN

lmao

Dec 26, 2012

sword_man.xmas posted:

im shocked that you might have to look up how to be optimized, in a game

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

there is such a thing as needless complexity

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It looks like they used the sphere grid?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dexters Secret posted:

there is such a thing as needless complexity

If you could easily reset your skills, I would not have a problem with the skill web at all. I remember the first ever character I made, I can't remember which class I picked, but I was basically using traps in combination with some melee and ranged abilities, trying to model it after the Diablo 2 Assassin. Well it worked fine for the first 20-25 levels or so, but then I just hit a brick wall where I either didn't have the right gear to support the build, or hadn't picked the 'right' passives (despite trying to pick up every passive I could that was relevant to my build) and couldn't progress any further. It left a bad a taste in my mouth. Why offer so much build flexibility and customisation if you're going to actively punish the player, particularly a new player, for trying different builds out? I don't have a problem with looking up guides, but it seems like they try to have it both ways.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eye of Widesauron posted:

It looks like they used the sphere grid?

the thing about sphere grid is you can basically just fill the drat thing out to infinity, in this thing you can only get 120 orbs and resetting is really difficult

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Yolomancer posted:

If you could easily reset your skills, I would not have a problem with the skill web at all. I remember the first ever character I made, I can't remember which class I picked, but I was basically using traps in combination with some melee and ranged abilities, trying to model it after the Diablo 2 Assassin. Well it worked fine for the first 20-25 levels or so, but then I just hit a brick wall where I either didn't have the right gear to support the build, or hadn't picked the 'right' passives (despite trying to pick up every passive I could that was relevant to my build) and couldn't progress any further. It left a bad a taste in my mouth. Why offer so much build flexibility and customisation if you're going to actively punish the player, particularly a new player, for trying different builds out? I don't have a problem with looking up guides, but it seems like they try to have it both ways.

yeah

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
like why have 90% of the drat thing be traps for new players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

sword_man.xmas posted:

the thing about sphere grid is you can basically just fill the drat thing out to infinity, in this thing you can only get 120 orbs and resetting is really difficult

Resetting skills shouldn't be difficult. That sucks.

• Locked thread