Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What was that one show, or that even just the first show you watched that made you think "hey this poo poo's pretty cool" or got you into watching in the first place? Or was it something other than a show that made you watch your Chinese cartoons?

For me it was Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z, those shows owned when I was 7... peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DBZ and Pokemon were like the entry for me, ofc. Although, what really got me into it was like the late 90s when Toonami would air Interstella 5555 and it was just like the coolest poo poo to me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My sister and I would watch Sailor Moon at 5/6am when we were kids, and I caught a little bit of DBZ as I got older. Eventually I find out both were Japanese shows, I got a VHS of the Tenchi Muyo OVA, and the rest was history.

Oh Ryoko-san~...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

My sister and I would watch Sailor Moon at 5/6am when we were kids, and I caught a little bit of DBZ as I got older. Eventually I find out both were Japanese shows, I got a VHS of the Tenchi Muyo OVA, and the rest was history.

Oh Ryoko-san~...

Sailor Moon was great too, I remember watching it when I was 4 and Power Rangers was my favorite thing

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Does the original Transformers series count as an anime? Otherwise probably Sailor Moon and then Dragonball Z came out when I was in high-school.

E: Also Tekkaman Blade

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 8, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

goku

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watching anime imo

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Speed Racer

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Boring DBZ/Pokemon/Toonami answer.
E: For manga it was American Shonen Jump and reading Ranma (the actual first manga I read), GTO, and Cromartie in my local library.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Boring DBZ/Pokemon/Toonami answer.

Same.

PotU posted:

watching anime imo

That's an unorthodox approach but I applaud it.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

sailor moon everyday after school with my sister and neighbor friends

then i watched a bunch of lovely harem-y stuff because that's what my rich best friend owned.

then in highschool, my ~anime friends~ hooked me on gravitation, thus beginning a love for gay anime

vvv I googled that because it sounded so fake

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 8, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku, at a friend's birthday party when I was 8.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If we're talking about boys kissing boys the entry point was Vampire Game, though that also had every other kissing combo, monsters getting nuked with magic, and political backstabbing.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
video games and not having friends i guess

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Over here they had early morning anime since forever, they imported them from mexico and played them on local channels.. So we had kick rear end dubs for Cobra, Ranma 1/2, DBZ, Saint Seiya (Caballeros del Zodiaco), Rurouni Kenshi (Samurai X) and a bunch of things I probably forgot. Uncensored and uncut. My 7 year old self was stupefied with how they would allow that sort of thing on local channels, but I was grateful none the less.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i stopped watching children's anime when i was like 12 years old, and didn't touch it for years until i watched Kill la Kill on a whim and actually liked it after the shock wore off. at that point i watched other stuff that people agreed was good, because i could no longer claim to be above any of it

Effectronica posted:

All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku, at a friend's birthday party when I was 8.

Wikipedia posted:

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (万能文化猫娘 Bannō Bunka Nekomusume?) is a Japanese single-volume manga series written and illustrated by Yuzo Takada and serialized in Weekly Manga Action. The manga was released as a single volume in December 1997. The story begins when genius inventor Kyusaku Natsume transplants the brain of a cat found by his son Ryunosuke on Christmas Eve, into a schoolgirl android that he created and subsequently stole from his former employer, Mishima Heavy Industries (owned by his estranged wife and Ryunosuke's mother, Akiko Natsume). The result, Nuku Nuku (also known as Atsuko Natsume), is a nekomusume or cat girl. The manga was licensed by ADV Manga and published as a single volume on August 24, 2004.

That's, uh, quite the premise

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Evangelion

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Being born into a world where anime exists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i watched dbz and digimon and pokemon when i was a kid and all but the thing that made me watch anime with subs and poo poo was watching lovely subs of tekkaman blade in like 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmX564UTabE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually has anyone here watched tekkaman blade 2

is that any good

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

One day my friend gave me usb with all of Evangelion on it.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
VHSes of Gravitation and Escaflowne and the first volume of Fuushigi Yuugi, because there was where anime came from back then - from a cool girl two grades above you when you're young and impressionable

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Playing Guilty Gear XX made me think the art was cool and then I just watched whatever my friends were watching at the time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Playing Guilty Gear XX made me think the art was cool and then I just watched whatever my friends were watching at the time
that little anime trailer included with ggxx made me think a guilty gear anime was gonna happen

it never did

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If pokemon and sailor moon don't count then DBZ

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Endorph posted:

that little anime trailer included with ggxx made me think a guilty gear anime was gonna happen

it never did

If it helps, the BlazBlue anime was mediocre at best.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FiftySeven posted:

If it helps, the BlazBlue anime was mediocre at best.
just like blazblue

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It was you, ADTRW. It was you all along.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I watched Dragonball Z as a kid like everyone else but I didn't know what "anime" was. I guess Azumanga Daioh was the first thing I consciously watched as an anime, mostly from old youtube videos of funny scenes and gifs of Chiyo in a penguin costume. I was like patient zero in getting all my other friends to start watching anime, too. Does that make me a terrible person

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Endorph posted:

just like blazblue

I will fight you.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

SBS airing Neon Genesis Evangelion and the Patlabor movies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FiftySeven posted:

I will fight you.

blazblue is dumb and bad, take this from a blazblue expert

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
Iria broadcast on SciFi at 5am on a Saturday.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

As a kid I was obsessed with Speed Racer. Didn't get into subs/currently airing stuff until Dattebayo doing Naruto.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Transformers and Toonami

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
Crippling social anxiety coupled with a desire to be born with a bigger cock

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Failcon posted:

Crippling social anxiety coupled with a desire to be born with a bigger cock
same

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Obviously watched stuff like Pokemon and DBZ as a kid, but it probably started when YTV got an anime block and started showing stuff like Inuyasha, Naruto, Gundam Seed ect. I can't remember the first subbed anime I watched. Maybe Naruto?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

Obviously watched stuff like Pokemon and DBZ as a kid, but it probably started when YTV got an anime block and started showing stuff like Inuyasha, Naruto, Gundam Seed ect. I can't remember the first subbed anime I watched. Maybe Naruto?

Bionix was the poo poo and the day it left was the day I stopped watching YTV forever at the ripe old age of 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

It was the noses.

• Locked thread