Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The first two Patlabor movies were the first animes I ever bought (VHS) they completely blew me away and they're still some of the best animes I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
This imgur gallery is an example of the true sage wisdom of this series and in particular Captain Gotou.

For all the hay the press makes about SV2 being a bunch of fuckups, this is honestly kind of a utopian view of police work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AzraelNewtype posted:

This imgur gallery is an example of the true sage wisdom of this series and in particular Captain Gotou.

For all the hay the press makes about SV2 being a bunch of fuckups, this is honestly kind of a utopian view of police work.
Easily the best character in the show, basically the franchise's own Yang Wenli.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yeah, I watched the OVA and movies at a weekly anime night and a lot of people were really confused as to why SV2 bothered arresting criminal and terrorists instead of shooting them.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

Shinobu facepalms, but she knows it's true.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is from my all time favorite episode, by the way. After this Gotoh holds a team building exercise at a bar, where Noa and Kanuka square off in a drinking contest.

Looking it up, I'm not surprised it was an Oshii episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

This is from my all time favorite episode, by the way. After this Gotoh holds a team building exercise at a bar, where Noa and Kanuka square off in a drinking contest.

Looking it up, I'm not surprised it was an Oshii episode.

That was my favorite episode too, especially the last scene.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Oshii and Hayao Miyazaki discussing Patlabor 2
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/m_oshii_patlabor2.html

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I lost my Manga Entertainment English dubs of the first two movies. I've been told the Bandai dub is more accurate to the Japanese but man does the acting suck in comparison. Especially bad for Goto, since Marinker really nailed it. The conversations also feel more stiff and formal, maybe owing to a stricter translation. :( Really a pity, Patlabor 2 is in my top 10 movies of all time and I don't even like anime that much.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I lost my Manga Entertainment English dubs of the first two movies. I've been told the Bandai dub is more accurate to the Japanese but man does the acting suck in comparison. Especially bad for Goto, since Marinker really nailed it. The conversations also feel more stiff and formal, maybe owing to a stricter translation. :( Really a pity, Patlabor 2 is in my top 10 movies of all time and I don't even like anime that much.

This is how I've always felt with Patlabor 2. Manga Entertainment's dub suffered from having a cast of what felt like 8 voice actors doing dozens of voices at times, but Marinker was a fantastic Goto and the guy who does Arakawa (who has done a bunch of documentaries and other voice work) is good too. The script takes liberties with the source material but I still feel it nails the overall message and gets its point across well.

The Bandai dub just sounds like every actor is absolutely bored. :effort: The guy who voices Goto sounds way too young too.

EDIT:

Just want to say this is fascinating as hell, too.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I always felt like the best order was Series first, then Movie 1 and Movie 2 (preferably with the Japanese voice acting). Knowing that the old days of the team have passed by gives Patlabor 2 a lot more impact to me. The scenes where Noa turns her back on Alphonse or when the helicopter destroys SV2 are just gut-wrenching if you got to know them.

And personally speaking it accentuated Patlabor 2's overall political dryness. I have a problem with a lot of joyless drama (animated or otherwise) because it never feels like there's stakes; if life will be drab and depressing regardless of the characters' success, why should I care if they succeed or not? I could never really get into Ghost In the Shell for that reason. While Patlabor 2 does have its moments where Noa and Shinohara are teasing each other or Hiromi cares for the farm, I feel like they're meant to be callbacks to the show's tone and message. That even if their lives are built over war and institutional lies it shows that the world is and was filled with people. Regardless of the political situation, their lives matter.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

It's happening.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16197

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Me, thinking about Patlabor:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is a lot more poignant in light of how he truly feels about Shinobu.

And yes, Patlabor owns bones. The TV series is amazing fun, Movie 1 is great, and Movie 2 is the best drat anime film ever.

"Our allies, Gotoh, our allies."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My favorite mecha of all time is the Ingram, and the look of joy when Noa gets control of Alphonse for the first time is one of the best moments in anime for me. The thing that sold me on this series is how real the world felt, with labors being integrated into every aspect of life. It's one of the few shows I will recommend without hesitation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Who the hell are those guys in the op? Here's the real cast

I still cannot believe they parodied loving Captain Scarlet of all things, right down to the vehicles :allears:.

This was also most unexpected.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Patlabor is pretty much the only anime I'll watch, but I love it so much. I've had zero luck finding the new live action series though, you'd think it would be on one of those drama sites or something. There don't even seem to be subtitles out there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Skaro Hunting Society subbed the intro episode, and they're working on the rest of the series but they also sub lots of other series so there's no telling how long it will take. They put out very high quality subs though so it'll probably be worth the wait.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy crap, I didn't even know they released just about everything Patlabor on blu-ray. A few years ago I was scrambling trying to get the DVD boxsets (and succeeded). Are the releases touched up at all or is it just a blu-ray edition because everything else is out of print?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Jimbot posted:

Holy crap, I didn't even know they released just about everything Patlabor on blu-ray. A few years ago I was scrambling trying to get the DVD boxsets (and succeeded). Are the releases touched up at all or is it just a blu-ray edition because everything else is out of print?

Well, seeing as there are also new DVD sets for everything that has new blu-rays, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn't just to get it in print.

The two OVAs and the movies deserve the 1080 (OVA2 mostly only in combat scenes though; the rest is basically the same quality as the TV series), and the TV series is an improvement but only slightly. I mean there is extra detail even from the 16mm masters when compared with DVD res, but not a ton. They probably could have released 720p BDs for it, but while that's theoretically in the spec nobody does it. Not all BD authoring software even supports it, and the only real benefit would be that you could fit more episodes per disc, so the boxes could have been marginally cheaper to produce.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's cool. I'll probably buy them all again since I absolutely adore Patlabor. The New Files I don't own, though, so that'll be something new to watch.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

So I found a trailer for the new live action Patlabor, and the people who put it together did their best to make it look like a bland modern action flick.

Right down to the honk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFQpBTHj85Y

Doctor Soup fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 9, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Doctor Soup posted:

So I found a trailer for the new live action Patlabor, and the people who put it together did their best to make it look like a bland modern action flick.

Right down to the honk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFQpBTHj85Y

Needs more funnies and the original characters. Couldn't they have just made another animation series?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I'd rather have more of the original too, but I'm okay with live action and a new cast as long as it keeps the spirit of the thing. That's why I'm hoping the trailer is just misleading.

Also, is there a good chance of the new series getting an official translation? I know Hulu has a subsidiary website for dramas, but I know virtually nothing about how shows get picked up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The episode 0 was fansubbed and the guy who did it said he'd get to the entire series eventually if nobody picks it up in the meantime.

So at the very least we know it will have subs sometime in the (probably far) future.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 0 was super boring and nothing but 'oh hey, remember how much you liked those old characters who aren't in this show?' So I don't hold out much hope for the rest to be honest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah it was not good, it was some dumb fanservice fluff that didn't even introduce the new cast. I'd really like to see the first proper episode before making a judgement call though.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Del Toro spend almost 9 minutes talking about Patlabor which, despite his interest in earlier Oshii works like Urusei Yatsura and Angel's Egg, was introduced to him by James Cameron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACk_KIsT3Yo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Izumi is great. She loves that robot so much.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Everyone's favorite subber Nanto of TSHS has released Patlabor: TNG episodes 00 and 01.

http://skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/2015/05/patlabor-tng-2014-episodes-00-and-01_21.html

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This is next on my buy list.

I've just spent way too much money on getting something that can play blurays, all so I could finally watch the original OVA, which I've been trying to get hold of for years.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 24, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for the Platlaposts

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Back when there was that largely unsuccessful Patlabor simulwatch, I remember seeing some Blu-ray rips of the TV series starting to make the rounds that looked incredible. But at least back then none were subtitled; did that ever get completed in any sort of fashion?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Back when there was that largely unsuccessful Patlabor simulwatch, I remember seeing some Blu-ray rips of the TV series starting to make the rounds that looked incredible. But at least back then none were subtitled; did that ever get completed in any sort of fashion?

They did, and because those old dvds look like rear end the difference is incredible

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Please stop that Noa. The labor's feet are not meant for that Noa. You are hurting the poor drunk man in that construction vehicle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Doctor Soup posted:

Please stop that Noa. The labor's feet are not meant for that Noa. You are hurting the poor drunk man in that construction vehicle.

Who said the person in that Labor is Noa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Who said the person in that Labor is Noa?

Well it isn't currently firing every gun it has so chances are it's not Ota.

• Locked thread