Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I lost my Manga Entertainment English dubs of the first two movies. I've been told the Bandai dub is more accurate to the Japanese but man does the acting suck in comparison. Especially bad for Goto, since Marinker really nailed it. The conversations also feel more stiff and formal, maybe owing to a stricter translation. :( Really a pity, Patlabor 2 is in my top 10 movies of all time and I don't even like anime that much.

This is how I've always felt with Patlabor 2. Manga Entertainment's dub suffered from having a cast of what felt like 8 voice actors doing dozens of voices at times, but Marinker was a fantastic Goto and the guy who does Arakawa (who has done a bunch of documentaries and other voice work) is good too. The script takes liberties with the source material but I still feel it nails the overall message and gets its point across well.

The Bandai dub just sounds like every actor is absolutely bored. :effort: The guy who voices Goto sounds way too young too.

EDIT:

Just want to say this is fascinating as hell, too.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread